Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Credit where it's due, Morris' schemes and game-plans have been much better over the last month-plus.

But the question is, why the hell hasn't he attacked the 49ers like this before!?

He still had faith in that abomination that was the 4-3 hybrid of the 3-4 hybrid back then.

Once we had that COVID game where he literally couldn't do anything "hybrid" the way he had in the past, he had to adjust and once that started to work, he built on that.

He's been nails since. I LOVE how he's really leaned into the base 3-4 run stopping concepts which eluded him earlier in the season.

I really didn't think Morris was gonna work out as he'd fallen into a set of really bad patterns, but after that COVID game, he's been great and I'm so happy he's been here now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Argument for the sake of arguing.

Has any other team requested to interview Morris for HC?

WOoOooOo
Oh… no, it’s not just for arguing.

It’s for proving, sunshine. Lol

Dis u?

Actually, you’re just a clown.

You know deep down Morris is a garbage DC, but you got caught early in defending him, so now you have to stay committed because your ego can’t take the hit for backing the wrong horse.

Easy example, the rams had the #1 defense last year with the same core defensive players. A few left and went to the browns and DIDNT improve their defense.

Now, magically, they dropped all the way to the mid teens. In one year. What changed I wonder?

Same core players from last year, right?

Could it be that Morris is just not that good of a DC?

Is that possible?

Let’s see the metal gymnastics show you’re about to put on to explain that conundrum. You better stretch, you’re going to need to.

Dance for me.

WoOOoOoo

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I have done a 180, if we lose a coord to an HC position I think I would rather replace O'Connell.
Of course I want KC to stay and watch us build and expand on both sides but it takes so long to acquire, develop, grasp and implement defensive personnel and schemes. I can only imagine what another season would do for this group on D.
Role players stepping up and vet newcomers starting to gel. We are very close, no need to break it up

tempests

Hall of Fame
AD took it upon himself to ramp up the defense because he could see Morris could care less or was so blind he couldn't see it. This is why IMO Morris should be fired after the Super Bowl.
Man, none of your criticisms of Morris make any sense. Raheem Morris as you see him is a caricature that exists in your mind only.

AD took it upon himself to rally the defense because he's grown as a leader, he's the heart and soul of this franchise, and everyone knows it.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Reeder.. CAN PLAY.. he's just got flaws. The Rams WON yesterday and the defense had a STELLAR performance with Reeder in the middle calling the plays. Say what you want about his awful moments.. he contributed to the win.

I also think that attributing Rapp and Reeder to Morris says a ton.
I wasn't even taking about Reeder. I didn't say a single thing about Reeder.

I don't even know what you're mad about with Rapp. Are we not seeing backups and a street free agent play better than Rapp? I gave credit to Morris and Rapp for doing what they do well enough that we're headed to the Super Bowl. What if, rather than me try to defend or restate a bunch of stuff, you just tell me what specifically I said that is "attributing Rapp... to Morris"? I won't ask for any explanation on Reeder as you added that shit all on your own without me saying anything.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wasn't even taking about Reeder. I didn't say a single thing about Reeder.

I don't even know what you're mad about with Rapp. Are we not seeing backups and a street free agent play better than Rapp? I gave credit to Morris and Rapp for doing what they do well enough that we're headed to the Super Bowl. What if, rather than me try to defend or restate a bunch of stuff, you just tell me what specifically I said that is "attributing Rapp... to Morris"? I won't ask for any explanation on Reeder as you added that shit all on your own without me saying anything.

Sorry, the response isn’t just about your post.

I’m not mad about Rapp.. someone suggested Morris got involved in the concussion protocol to keep Rapp off the active roster. That’s nutty. Rapp would be ahead of Burgess, for sure. Other than that?? I wouldn’t change anything.. keep Scott & Weddle out there. It’s working!!!!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He still had faith in that abomination that was the 4-3 hybrid of the 3-4 hybrid back then.

Once we had that COVID game where he literally couldn't do anything "hybrid" the way he had in the past, he had to adjust and once that started to work, he built on that.

He's been nails since. I LOVE how he's really leaned into the base 3-4 run stopping concepts which eluded him earlier in the season.

I really didn't think Morris was gonna work out as he'd fallen into a set of really bad patterns, but after that COVID game, he's been great and I'm so happy he's been here now.

Yeah, pretty much. I was hard as hell on him most of the season, but now if I had to choose who goes between him or O'Connell, I'm saying "bye Kevin" (nothing against O'Connell).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Raheem Morris

switched up his defense and broke expectations as the Rams put a stop to San Francisco​

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Feb 3, 2022, 2:53pm

Rams defense completely changed course in NFC Championship en route to stopping 49ers

1643929522176.png

The Los Angeles Rams are starting Eric Weddle at safety in the 2022 playoffs and it’s hard to reconcile that as anything other than “this season is built different.”

The 37-year-old made headlines simply by being surprise signed to the practice squad on January 12th but the real shocker is that the story has shifted to how Eric Weddle is playing arguably better football today than he did during his stint with the Rams in 2019. It may just be that he is rested and because the defense isn’t asking him to do too much, he’s practically able to freelance towards the play that will help him do the most that he can.

Weddle went from an expected locker room presence and emergency option because of multiple injuries at safety to playing in 100-percent of the snaps in the NFC Championship and helping L.A. stifle the San Francisco 49ers in the second half in ways that they weren’t able to over the last three years.

Perhaps Raheem Morris is also being blessed by Weddle’s late stage career presence and the injuries that have forced the Rams to go to Plan E at the most critical point of any season. The focus of criticism throughout the season — most of it unfair if for no other reason than the fact that Los Angeles has had an insane amount of turnover on that side of the ball between 2020 and today — Morris orchestrated new tactics against the Niners.

The result was five forced punts, an interception, seven defensive drives that went for 40 yards or less, and the Rams were able to stop the 49ers in the second half en route to a comeback; San Francisco had just 28 yards in the fourth quarter.

As pointed out by Next Gen Stats, the L.A. Rams used a single-high safety on a season-high 63-percent of their defensive snaps and loaded the box to stop the run on a season-high 49-percent of the snaps.

View: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1488598160725270528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1488598160725270528%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F2%2F3%2F22916594%2Frams-defense-nfc-championship-raheem-morris

As brilliantly noted by Derrick Klassen at FootballOutsiders, Morris put his players in the best position possible to shutdown the Niners run game.

Run fits can also be simplified when the defense is not playing outnumbered the way the Rams usually are, which meant linebacker Troy Reeder in particular was able to play downhill a tick faster than usual and get after all of San Francisco’s lead blockers. The added bodies in the box, the confidence to fit faster into a gap, and the Rams’ outside linebackers always being aligned to handle the “widest of the wide” meant the Rams were essentially able to funnel plays onto the shoulders of Aaron Donald and A’Shawn Robinson in the B- and C-gap areas. Morris deemed that the best approach against a 49ers offense that loves to attack the perimeter with stretch runs and the C-gap area with pulling plays, and he was right.
Klassen also notes that the Bengals won’t have the same offensive gameplan as the 49ers did, so Morris will probably not use this same strategy in the Super Bowl.

It is no secret that the approach against Cincinnati will have to look different. The Bengals are not as run-heavy as San Francisco to begin with and are far more willing to push the ball down the field. That said, it is still encouraging that Morris could so perfectly craft a game plan against one of the league’s well-designed offenses and get his players to execute at such a high level. Whatever schematic necessities the Super Bowl brings, last week’s win is a good sign that the Rams can figure it out.
The 49ers rushed for just 50 yards in the NFC Championship after averaging over 140 against the Rams in the regular season. Los Angeles has only given up 162 rushing yards in three playoff games :sur::wow2::explode1::startstruck::smilehearts:and whether it is Cincinnati’s number one priority or not, stopping Joe Mixon will be something the Rams will want to do—and probably can do.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before we get too crazy with the scheme the Rams have loaded the box before against the 9ers and still sucked ass vs the run. The primary difference in that last game was the play of two big DL who won snaps all day long: Gaines & Robinson. Those two guys destroyed the 9ers run game.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Before we get too crazy with the scheme the Rams have loaded the box before against the 9ers and still sucked ass vs the run. The primary difference in that last game was the play of two big DL who won snaps all day long: Gaines & Robinson. Those two guys destroyed the 9ers run game.
On some of Brian Baldinger's breakdowns, he went so far as to say (verbatim): "This doesn't even have to do anything with scheme, it's just guys all wining 1 on 1 up front". I still give Morris credit. The defence is playing well. You can't fairly not credit him for that, but criticise him when the defence is floundering.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Raheem Morris

switched up his defense and broke expectations as the Rams put a stop to San Francisco​

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Feb 3, 2022, 2:53pm

Rams defense completely changed course in NFC Championship en route to stopping 49ers

View attachment 51842

The Los Angeles Rams are starting Eric Weddle at safety in the 2022 playoffs and it’s hard to reconcile that as anything other than “this season is built different.”

The 37-year-old made headlines simply by being surprise signed to the practice squad on January 12th but the real shocker is that the story has shifted to how Eric Weddle is playing arguably better football today than he did during his stint with the Rams in 2019. It may just be that he is rested and because the defense isn’t asking him to do too much, he’s practically able to freelance towards the play that will help him do the most that he can.

Weddle went from an expected locker room presence and emergency option because of multiple injuries at safety to playing in 100-percent of the snaps in the NFC Championship and helping L.A. stifle the San Francisco 49ers in the second half in ways that they weren’t able to over the last three years.

Perhaps Raheem Morris is also being blessed by Weddle’s late stage career presence and the injuries that have forced the Rams to go to Plan E at the most critical point of any season. The focus of criticism throughout the season — most of it unfair if for no other reason than the fact that Los Angeles has had an insane amount of turnover on that side of the ball between 2020 and today — Morris orchestrated new tactics against the Niners.

The result was five forced punts, an interception, seven defensive drives that went for 40 yards or less, and the Rams were able to stop the 49ers in the second half en route to a comeback; San Francisco had just 28 yards in the fourth quarter.

As pointed out by Next Gen Stats, the L.A. Rams used a single-high safety on a season-high 63-percent of their defensive snaps and loaded the box to stop the run on a season-high 49-percent of the snaps.

View: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1488598160725270528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1488598160725270528%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F2%2F3%2F22916594%2Frams-defense-nfc-championship-raheem-morris

As brilliantly noted by Derrick Klassen at FootballOutsiders, Morris put his players in the best position possible to shutdown the Niners run game.

The 49ers rushed for just 50 yards in the NFC Championship after averaging over 140 against the Rams in the regular season. Los Angeles has only given up 162 rushing yards in three playoff games :sur::wow2::explode1::startstruck::smilehearts:and whether it is Cincinnati’s number one priority or not, stopping Joe Mixon will be something the Rams will want to do—and probably can do.

Keep Morris. Resign Weddle. We'll need him next year too.

Here's a great stat showing how the defense dominated the 4th quarter:

49ers didn’t gain a single yard in final 12 minutes
The Rams outgained the 49ers 111 yards to just 38 in the fourth quarter, also outscoring them 13-0 in the last 15 minutes. It was a dominant finish to the game from the Rams’ defense, and the best way to their performance into perspective is by looking at this stat.​
The 49ers’ last play that gained positive yardage came with 12:02 left in the game, a 9-yard run by Elijah Mitchell. After that, they ran eight more plays on offense, none of which gained a single yard.​
  • 1-yard loss
  • Run for no gain
  • Incompletion
  • Incompletion
  • Incompletion
  • Incompletion
  • Completion for 3-yard loss
  • Interception
And here's one more. We know the Rams crushed the Niners' run game. But here's what the pass rush did:

Garoppolo only completed 2 passes when pressured by the Rams​

Garoppolo was terrible under pressure Sunday. He completed just 2 of 10 passes for 33 yards and an interception when pressured by the Rams, panicking when the pass rush began to collapse the pocket.​

The Rams didn’t sack him a single time, but clearly the pressure they generated was enough to rattle the 49ers quarterback. It was one of the biggest reasons the Rams beat San Francisco on Sunday.​

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
On some of Brian Baldinger's breakdowns, he went so far as to say (verbatim): "This doesn't even have to do anything with scheme, it's just guys all wining 1 on 1 up front". I still give Morris credit. The defence is playing well. You can't fairly not credit him for that, but criticise him when the defence is floundering.
Of course Morris deserves credit. He's been doing a good job for a while now.

I just feel like it's important to keep in mind that this win was largely influenced by the players finally winning in the fucking trenches. I am very proud of the big guys for getting that done. Coaches always get cred/blame but sometimes it's just player vs player in that big moment and one side gets enough of the key matchups won.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Keep in mind that it’s possible the 49ers players were not playing at the same level that they did on week 18. They had an exhausting group of road games.

I hope that AShawn and the rest of the defense has found something in themselves. I hope the scheme Morris employed is a real way to defend a healthy and rested 49ers team. We’ll find out next fall. For now it worked at the right place and time.

If not for a missed field goal a forced end zone pass/Int and a series that saw drops of three potential TDS the Rams could have been up by 14 points and we’d have seen an even more dominant performance by the defense.

If anything the offenses mistakes in the last two games are more concerning. Hopefully the extra week gives the offense renewed focus and energy. I want a complete game in the Super Bowl that leaves no question that the Rams are the better team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder if the rams rope a doped the whiners in the regular season?

saw how easily they were handling them before the half and took the foot off the pedal to let them think they "were in the rams' head".

had a think at half time and thought the whiners could be beneficial to the rams in the playoffs, especially with how they beat the packers with ease most of the time in the playoffs.

didn't show them anything defensively so they couldn't plan ahead of time how to attack it in the championship game if they made it there.

bravo coach mcvay if that was the plan.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Of course Morris deserves credit. He's been doing a good job for a while now.

I just feel like it's important to keep in mind that this win was largely influenced by the players finally winning in the fucking trenches. I am very proud of the big guys for getting that done. Coaches always get cred/blame but sometimes it's just player vs player in that big moment and one side gets enough of the key matchups won.
I am with you. I am not a Morris fan. It seems the only time this defense looks better than middle of the pack - which is where they were ranked this season - is when the front 7 completely takes over. That's hardly a wringing endorsement for a DC. And of course, this front 7 will, in fact, take over games often (as they would for any coach). Donald, Miller, Floyd, Gaines, Okoronkwo, Robinson, SJD, Hollins, Lewis. It's a star studded group with many backups that would be starters almost anywhere else. Morris is a JAG, in my opinion. He is not horrible, but also not even close to a difference maker. I also find his personnel decisions very questionable. Long over Rochell. Rapp over everyone. Scott not playing. Gaines not getting meaningful snaps until injuries hit. Reeder over Jones and Howard. The list goes on. It's concerning when the "next man up" consistently proves to be an upgrade over the starter. What is Morris watching in practice? Don't even get me started on how the middle of the field is seemingly always open for opposing QBs to pass to.

I would prefer to move on from Morris next year, but if he stays, I could live with it, if for no other reason than possibly getting a comp pick later on, and finally getting some continuity. The players do seem to like him. And he deserves credit for the defense improving at the right time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am with you. I am not a Morris fan. It seems the only time this defense looks better than middle of the pack - which is where they were ranked this season - is when the front 7 completely takes over. That's hardly a wringing endorsement for a DC. And of course, this front 7 will, in fact, take over games often (as they would for any coach). Donald, Miller, Floyd, Gaines, Okoronkwo, Robinson, SJD, Hollins, Lewis. It's a star studded group with many backups that would be starters almost anywhere else. Morris is a JAG, in my opinion. He is not horrible, but also not even close to a difference maker. I also find his personnel decisions very questionable. Long over Rochell. Rapp over everyone. Scott not playing. Gaines not getting meaningful snaps until injuries hit. Reeder over Jones and Howard. The list goes on. It's concerning when the "next man up" consistently proves to be an upgrade over the starter. What is Morris watching in practice? Don't even get me started on how the middle of the field is seemingly always open for opposing QBs to pass to.

I would prefer to move on from Morris next year, but if he stays, I could live with it, if for no other reason than possibly getting a comp pick later on, and finally getting some continuity. The players do seem to like him. And he deserves credit for the defense improving at the right time.
Lol.

Rams are going to the Super Bowl. Giving up about 18 points in a game in playoffs.

But.. sure, yeah… let’s move on from him.