Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I also find his personnel decisions very questionable. Long over Rochell. Rapp over everyone.

Honestly the whole Rapp thing was probably an eye opener for him. I can see Morris actually making the adjustments when necessary and fixing things that really do need fixing. He basically came year one, and already is going to showcase the Defense in the super bowl.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Lol.

Rams are going to the Super Bowl. Giving up about 18 points in a game in playoffs.

But.. sure, yeah… let’s move on from him.
Let's be real. The Cardinals were a broken team for some time already when we faced them in the postseason. San Fran was a good team but their QB and offense were middling. I think the Rams were actually the only team to concede a playoff passing TD to the 49ers? Tampa Bay (aided heavily by turnovers by the Rams' offense) put up lots points against us, and that was without Brown and Godwin, and Fournette with a gimpy hamstring.

The defense has played very well lately. I give Morris full credit for that. But simply going by points against paints a deceptively rosy picture. The Bengals will be the first truly high octane offense that the Rams will face this postseason, IMO. Hopefully, Morris has some answers for it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Let's be real. The Cardinals were a broken team for some time already when we faced them in the postseason. San Fran was a good team but their QB and offense were middling. I think the Rams were actually the only team to concede a playoff passing TD to the 49ers? Tampa Bay (aided heavily by turnovers by the Rams' offense) put up lots points against us, and that was without Brown and Godwin, and Fournette with a gimpy hamstring.

The defense has played very well lately. I give Morris full credit for that. But simply going by points against paints a deceptively rosy picture. The Bengals will be the first truly high octane offense that the Rams will face this postseason, IMO. Hopefully, Morris has some answers for it.

Yeah… it was just everyone else’s problems.

Rams got lucky.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Win this Super Bowl. Nothing else matters. Morris has battled his way through this season and improved greatly down the stretch. He seems to have a good grasp on things now. But he's just gotta close it out with a strong game on D.

And btw he's in the same boat as everyone else. All these guys are hanging on this SB win for their legacies. McVay needs that ring just as much as Morris, Donald, and Stafford etc do. Here we are, the final test, just get it done.

TexasRam

Legend
There is no question that the defensive players stepped up in the Niner game. Namely Robinson, Gaines and Weddle - among others.

But there is also no question in my mind that the scheme deployed affected the Niners offense.

Even Mcvay mentioned the heavy run stopping structures in that game as key. The stats showed heavy single High safety looks.

Basically Morris said you are not running on us no matter what and forced Jimmy to beat them. He couldn't do it.

Weddle did alot of moving presnap but most of the time stayed in as the 3rd linebacker in a 5-3 look.

There is no question the players balled out and rose up but the scheme also clearly helped.

So what do we know about Morris?
1. He can dial up some great schemes in the playoffs to shut down a run first offense as needed.
2. He likes soft zones which had us 22nd(?) against the pass even though we have the best pass rush in the NFL.
3. He is very slow to replace players that are massive Liabilities as demonstrated week after week. (Reeder, Long, Rapp).
4. He has one final game to stop a top passing offense. He will have Reeder, Long and Rapp available.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still amazes me people can't comprehend that it took Morris time to adapt the Fangio/Staley scheme to the way he's always called defenses. It's not rocket science here people you take time to adjust usually. Add in the injuries in the secondary and frankly the inadequate secondary we had aside from Ramsey along with some questionable ILB play when Jones went down after the Young trade and it's really not hard to figure out why the defense took a step back statistically.

We then add in Von and people expect him to hit the ground running but hey guess what? Yeah that's right it took Von a bit of time to get used to not only the subtle differences between the Fangio defense he was playing in but get used to his new teammates.

Just amazing that this is hard to understand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3. He is very slow to replace players that are massive Liabilities as demonstrated week after week. (Reeder, Long, Rapp).
Two that I think loom large for this game are Reeder and Williams. Rams are better off with Reeder on the bench. Right now Cincy is watching Reeder give up 5/5 receptions for first downs (74 yards total iirc) on film and licking their chops. Starting 50 in his place rectifies that situation (or at least helps it) and Howard as the other also is a plus-up for unit speed off ball.

We can't have guys late to the flats and underneath vs this offense. They gotta snuff out the dumpoff passes immediately. So start Jones and if you have two ILBs out there the other should be Howard.

Williams I don't think it's a good idea to sit but they really gotta try to get him in better situations on some groupings. He struggled vs SF which is not a surprise the way he's played all year and Shanny having the WR talent to isolate him but do something to get a game out of this guy. Cincy is definitely liking that matchup as well as Long.

If pressures are great and consistent we're good to go. If not then the safeties are gonna have to really be on their shit but I don't want to find out what happens if pressures aren't there. Make that kid move in the pocket.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Two that I think loom large for this game are Reeder and Williams. Rams are better off with Reeder on the bench. Right now Cincy is watching Reeder give up 5/5 receptions for first downs (74 yards total iirc) on film and licking their chops. Starting 50 in his place rectifies that situation (or at least helps it) and Howard as the other also is a plus-up for unit speed off ball.

We can't have guys late to the flats and underneath vs this offense. They gotta snuff out the dumpoff passes immediately. So start Jones and if you have two ILBs out there the other should be Howard.

Williams I don't think it's a good idea to sit but they really gotta try to get him in better situations on some groupings. He struggled vs SF which is not a surprise the way he's played all year and Shanny having good WR talent to isolate him but do something to get a good game out of this guy. Cincy is definitely liking that matchup as well as Long.

If pressures are great and consistent we're good to go. If not then the safeties are gonna have to really be on their shit but I don't want to find out what happens if pressures aren't there. Make that kid move in the pocket.
Looked to me like he changed Reeder out when Jones was ready.

Then Jones got hurt.

What options does he have other than Williams? And he’s kept working on Long.. who is contributing.

We ALL saw Scott all season. I saw no ome suggesting he was the solution. I love seeing it turn on.

Anyway.. lots of narratives, not enough observations.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2F9C74DF-9C2F-4235-A8F0-2D91D7F46BC5.jpeg

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Then Jones got hurt.

What options does he have other than Williams? And he’s kept working on Long.. who is contributing.

We ALL saw Scott all season. I saw no ome suggesting he was the solution. I love seeing it turn on.

His option on Williams is use scheme to control his exposure. He got hung out a bit too much in that 9er game.

But once again you're all hung up on narratives and acting like someone breathing anything that might be a slight to Morris is trying to defame him. This won't go anywhere so let's continue to disagree and save everyone the back and forth.

TexasRam

Legend

Williams I don't think it's a good idea to sit but they really gotta try to get him in better situations on some groupings. He struggled vs SF which is not a surprise the way he's played all year and Shanny having the WR talent to isolate him but do something to get a game out of this guy. Cincy is definitely liking that matchup as well as Long.

Yea agreed. I mean I can see the value of Reeder in some running sets vs the Niners but can we please get Jones and Howard in the Super Bowl vs a team that does a lot of dink an dunking. Not to mention Burrow will run the ball and he has some speed.

Imagine 80 year old Weddle trying to stay with Chase over the top if Burrow gets time. Actually don't. It is frightening.

TexasRam

Legend

Then Jones got hurt.

One thing is for sure. You deserve a medal from Morris for your loyalty and service this year.:laugh1:

I am not sure his own mother could have done a better job.:laugh3:

I would request some kick back. You are fighting to the bitter end like a champ.

Kupped after the Super Bowl:

View: https://media4.giphy.com/media/3oKIPf3C7HqqYBVcCk/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f0tjw5z2ejuh8grlgyywb85xku7mxvdi4z2m19h4&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
His option on Williams is use scheme to control his exposure. He got hung out a bit too much in that 9er game.

But once again you're all hung up on narratives and acting like someone breathing anything that might be a slight to Morris is trying to defame him. This won't go anywhere so let's continue to disagree and save everyone the back and forth.
Here's the thing... I'm not a Morris "fan" or something. Seems like a decent guy, but.. so, what?
Replace his name with "Rams Defensive Coordinator".. because that's who I'm talking about.

My response here was more general about a narrative I've seen others stick to and I probably should've replied to someone else. The "Morris sticks to people longer than he should" thing is repeated and it just doesn't have much merit, imo. He pulled Long pretty quick, for example.. but, fortunately, found a way to get him to contribute.

I don't think that Morris is/was perfect or anything close. I do know that teams are going after Williams right now and that he's going to be on the field and be exposed at some point. Scotty Miller lit him up, for example.

I think the Rams Defensive Coordinator is doing a good job this year. I don't care who the guy is.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am not usually involved much ever on the side of the defense lawyers so I am out of my normal self in this post. Many of the posts defending the defenses fielded by the Rams in the regular season bounced off of my 2 working brain cells.....in hindsight I should have been more open to what DC Morris had to travel through since his arrival.

Before TC the Rams defense lost one-half of his starters in his secondary, one of which was the 4 yr starter defensive calling captain, starting OLBer, Main DL reserve & the former starting ILB'er who was damaged & trending out of the NFL. That's five key defenders. Safeties Rapp & Burgess were fighting through post-2020 season injuries. Starting DE Robinson was still unhealthy.

DC lost two of his main drafted rookies CB Rochell & Brown very early in TC which resulted in both getting very little of the defensive snaps this season. Another top defensive selection ILB Ernest Jones has also missed a good amount of time due to injuries. Starting CB Williams was also injured in TC and was slow to recover until mid-season.

The loss of OLB'ers due to injury or unhealthy body parts Hollins/ Okoronkwo/ Lewis leaving him with Floyd/ Rookie Garrett & PS Lawler was serious. That resulted in the costly trade for Von Miller who has injured himself. Rams traded away starting ILB Kenny Young, 2 of his reserve safeties were snatched up by other teams when being moved back forth from the active roster to PS. About this same time his starting NT SJD was IR'd.

DC Morris had to end the regular season with a bang when he lost both starting safeties Fuller & Rapp during the wk 18 game now heading for the playoffs. I am sure I left off several other events too.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am not usually involved much ever on the side of the defense lawyers so I am out of my normal self in this post. Many of the posts defending the defenses fielded by the Rams in the regular season bounced off of my 2 working brain cells.....in hindsight I should have been more open to what DC Morris had to travel through since his arrival.

Before TC the Rams defense loss of two starters in his second, one of which was the 4 yr starter defensive calling captain, starting OLBer, Main DL reserve & the former starting ILB'er who was damaged & trending out of the NFL. That's five key defenders. Safeties Rapp & Burgess were fighting through post-2020 season injuries. Starting DE Robinson was still unhealthy.

DC lost two of his main drafted rookies CB Rochell & Brown very early in TC which resulted in both getting very little of the defensive snaps this season. Another top defensive selection ILB Ernest Jones has also missed a good amount of time due to injuries. Starting CB Williams was also injured in TC and was slow to recover until mid-season.

The loss of OLB'ers due to injury or unhealthy body parts Hollins/ Okoronkwo/ Lewis leaving him with Floyd/ Rookie Garrett & PS Lawler was serious. That resulted in the costly trade for Von Miller who has injured himself. Rams traded away starting ILB Kenny Young, 2 of his reserve safeties were snatched up by other teams when being moved back forth from the active roster to PS. About this same time his starting NT SJD was IR'd.

DC Morris had to end the regular season with a bang when he lost both starting safeties Fuller & Rapp during the wk 18 game now heading for the playoffs. I am sure I left off several other events too.

And an interesting thing from the Weddle article that actually IS about Morris..

From the Weddle article that's posted.. Weddle met Morris back in 2007 and hit it off and had stayed friendly. Morris is the one who did the reach out and talked to him about coming back.

Relationships and leadership are a big part of coaching.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Well Burrow is a joker. With that said, best defense is for our offense to score on every possession. On paper our dline should be able to apply pressure but you still need to score points, 30 may not be enough.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well Burrow is a joker. With that said, best defense is for our offense to score on every possession. On paper our dline should be able to apply pressure but you still need to score points, 30 may not be enough.
I couldn't agree more.
Burrow with Higgins, Chase and Boyd and Mixon could go off in any game. We want to think that pressure and sacks will win the game... but Tennessee put that fucker down 9 times.. and he kept at it.

Gonna need offense.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I couldn't agree more.
Burrow with Higgins, Chase and Boyd and Mixon could go off in any game. We want to think that pressure and sacks will win the game... but Tennessee put that fucker down 9 times.. and he kept at it.

Gonna need offense.
Tannehil also was awful. And KC just refused to try and run the ball when they were up 18 points.

Our Offense needs to stay consistent.