Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Personally I think Morris kept reading our comments and finally went to an aggressive defense.

I just have to believe that Morris was saving his best defenses for the postseason because he was awesome in the post season.

All I was asking from Morris all season was to let his dogs loose and he finally did in the postseason.

I salute you Morris.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get staying the course and sticking to your game plan. Thankfully, either Morris realized it wasn’t working or McVay asked him to switch it up.

There is no crow up eat IMO. He has an incredibly talented defense (besides Reeder lol) and should have made those adjustments. As a fan I can still critique his coaching. Thankfully in the biggest game the second half was where he finally utilized his players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All I was asking from Morris all season was to let his dogs loose and he finally did in the postseason.

I salute you Morris.
I agree here, I believe he understood what he had and I really like how he consistently brought 5 on passing downs with either Jones or Reeder and it made a huge difference opening up things for Donald & Von Miller. Looks like Morris will be the DC for one more year and with Vic Fangio taking a year off, this might work out really well for the Rams moving forward.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I must say I dogged on him for most of the season. Hated the soft zone conservative BS. And I don't know what he did to adjust but boy, he really changed it up and the D has been lights out.

Mad kudos

TXRams86

The Infamous
I'm having crow for breakfast in honor of Morris. I, like a lot of other posters on here, shat on the guy consistently this season. His defenses showed up when it mattered most. The moment he went to a 5 man rush and started stunting, Cinci was done.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree here, I believe he understood what he had and I really like how he consistently brought 5 on passing downs with either Jones or Reeder and it made a huge difference opening up things for Donald & Von Miller. Looks like Morris will be the DC for one more year and with Vic Fangio taking a year off, this might work out really well for the Rams moving forward.
And it wasn't just bringing 5. He did twists, stunts and simulated pressures.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I get staying the course and sticking to your game plan. Thankfully, either Morris realized it wasn’t working or McVay asked him to switch it up.

There is no crow up eat IMO. He has an incredibly talented defense (besides Reeder lol) and should have made those adjustments. As a fan I can still critique his coaching. Thankfully in the biggest game the second half was where he finally utilized his players.
I'll disagree.

There were lots of changes during the season.. and the unit had to grow together and build up to the playoffs. Cincy is a similar story.. look at their defense in week one versus the Super Bowl.. lots of changes.. lots of growth.

There's plenty of crow for all around because the criticism was of Morris' ability to coach. Criticizing schemes and calls was one thing.. the repeated comments people made on him and his lack of coaching ability was flat-out wrong. If you didn't criticize him? And just questioned some calls? No crow. If you went after him? Plenty of blackbird on a plate to be shared.

Don't see it that way? Fine.

Tano

Legend
And it wasn't just bringing 5. He did twists, stunts and simulated pressures.
Which he was hardly doing at all in the first 8 games.

He really made a lot of adjustments in these last few months and I give him mad props

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Personally I think Morris kept reading our comments and finally went to an aggressive defense.

I just have to believe that Morris was saving his best defenses for the postseason because he was awesome in the post season.

I salute you Morris.
I don't think there was any "saving"... This defense was a work in progress all season.
It grew into what it needed to be in the playoffs.

Tano

Legend
Again.. it was a work in progress.
Maybe but the play calls in the first half of the season went from "I can't believe you are playing so soft on 2nd and long and 3rd and long" to "awesome play call with the aggressive blitz there Morris or stunt or etc"

I rarely disagreed with his play calls in the post season other than leaving Reeder in the game on 3rd down (especially against the 49ers)

I am not sure but I do not believe Reeder was in on 3rd downs for most of the second half (at least I never saw him make a play - it was usually Jones who made the play when a linebacker was involved)

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Maybe but the play calls in the first half of the season went from "I can't believe you are playing so soft on 2nd and long and 3rd and long" to "awesome play call with the aggressive blitz there Morris"

I rarely disagreed with his play calls in the post season other than leaving Reeder in the game on 3rd down (especially against the 49ers)

I am not sure but I do not believe Reeder was in on 3rd downs for most of the second half (at least I never saw him make a play - it was usually Jones who made the play when a linebacker was involved)
Jones is a rookie they developed who got hurt.
Reeder was the only other 3 down linebacker on the roster.

You judge a coach's personnel decisions based on who he has available. When he had Jones, he played Jones, once he had learned enough to be on the field.

And.. on that note.. Jones looks like a real find in the 3rd round.. all the hype the Rams put out about him looks to be 100% right. Let's hope he stays healthy, because he's a difference maker.

Tano

Legend
Jones is a rookie they developed who got hurt.
Reeder was the only other 3 down linebacker on the roster.

You judge a coach's personnel decisions based on who he has available. When he had Jones, he played Jones, once he had learned enough to be on the field.

And.. on that note.. Jones looks like a real find in the 3rd round.. all the hype the Rams put out about him looks to be 100% right. Let's hope he stays healthy, because he's a difference maker.
I am primarily talking about keeping Reeder in the game on 3rd down against the 49ers when Jones was finally healthy and Reeder was being dragged 5 extra yards every time he tried to make a tackle.

And yes Jones is definitely a find. He was awesome in that game.

I think I saw only one play where he made a wrong decision on where the play was going. And that is pretty awesome for a rookie.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am primarily talking about keeping Reeder in the game on 3rd down against the 49ers when Jones was finally healthy and Reeder was being dragged 5 extra yards every time he tried to make a tackle.

I think I saw only one play where he made a wrong decision on where the play was going. And that is pretty awesome for a rookie.
Yep I was surprised that we did not see both ILB'ers Jones & Howard on the field instead of Reeder. Where was ILB Travin Howard he has 3 great post season games before yesterday?

MLB'er Troy Reeder is almost always a bonafide first down for our opponents on any pass play.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
I must say I dogged on him for most of the season. Hated the soft zone conservative BS. And I don't know what he did to adjust but boy, he really changed it up and the D has been lights out.

Mad kudos
I had the some thoughts throughout the season. Enough talk about DC now and lets not lose this guy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Which 9ers game are you talking about? The playoff game? Because Jones wasn't 100%. He was on a limited number of snaps.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yep I was surprised that we did not see both ILB'ers Jones & Howard on the field instead of Reeder. Where was ILB Travin Howard he has 3 great post season games before yesterday?

MLB'er Troy Reeder is almost always a bonafide first down for our opponents on any pass play.
As I asked Tano.. what game are you talking about.

Because, in the second half of the season.. when Jones was 100%.. it was always Jones over Reeder on passing downs.
Reeder played with Jones on a lot of snaps in the NFC championship game.

Tano

Legend
Which 9ers game are you talking about? The playoff game? Because Jones wasn't 100%. He was on a limited number of snaps.
Well dammit then - I would have played Howard instead of Reeder on the 3rd down and long plays or at the very least - have Reeder blitz more than once the entire game on 3rd and long.

Reeder is a horrible cover linebacker.

One of the worst in the league imho.