Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I doubt it but I wonder if mid season McVay sat down with him and told him what he's doing isn't working or good enough, and it needed to change.
Or it took some time to implement his wrinkles. Plus, Robinson & Gaines really stepped up the last quarter of the season. Not to mention with Jones in the line up they are at their best.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no crow up eat IMO.

100 fucking percent.

most complaints were about playing soft and giving up such easy completions on 3rd downs.

when he tightened things up and the defense started getting more stops i don't think many were complaining about him.

the thing that irked me the most was the completion to deebo samuel in week 18 late in the game. there was no excuse for him to get that open. scott stood there like a statue covering nobody when he should have zeroed in on dumbo after ramsey let him go. even if ramsey screwed up there was nobody else for scott to cover.

if that play happened in the playoffs the exact same way scott would have been all over it like a fly on shit.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
100 fucking percent.

most complaints were about playing soft and giving up such easy completions on 3rd downs.

when he tightened things up and the defense started getting more stops i don't think many were complaining about him.

the thing that irked me the most was the completion to deebo samuel in week 18 late in the game. there was no excuse for him to get that open. scott stood there like a statue covering nobody when he should have zeroed in on dumbo after ramsey let him go. even if ramsey screwed up there was nobody else for scott to cover.

if that play happened in the playoffs the exact same way scott would have been all over it like a fly on shit.

You mean the play where they had just lost their starting FS? And their starting SS was likely seriously concussed?

That play?

People who were complaining who think that’s all Morris wanted to do… just like to complain, imo.

Maybe.. just maybe… the guy McVay hired.. whose d kicked fucking ass… was building the foundation for the d before it was ready to take the next step.

Or he’s a shittu coach who came on here and all of a sudden realized his D needed more variety to win in the playoffs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
100 fucking percent.

Could it be that the play of Scott got better, and not a Morris issue? That he is getting used to being a starting safety with more playing time? And maybe the defensive calls also change as they feel more confident in his play?

Tano

Legend
You mean the play where they had just lost their starting FS? And their starting SS was likely seriously concussed?

That play?

People who were complaining who think that’s all Morris wanted to do… just like to complain, imo.

Maybe.. just maybe… the guy McVay hired.. whose d kicked fucking ass… was building the foundation for the d before it was ready to take the next step.

Or he’s a shittu coach who came on here and all of a sudden realized his D needed more variety to win in the playoffs.
I think he was complaining about Scott on that play not Raheem.

I complained about Scott on that play as well.

But he was just starting to get into his groove so I forgive him for essentially having that game go into overtime where we eventually lost.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the only concern is what version of Morris will we get going forward. The I don't give a damn about stats soft bend not break version or the aggressive shut everything down guy. I believe McVay told Morris he needs to shut down the quick easy throws to give the front 4 time to get there. His defense became more like Staleys though not completely so. But it should never have come to that. He should have made those adjustments on his own but IMO he didn't because he continued to play soft even when he was being proved wrong.

Why do I think this? Because he continued to play his soft defense even while they were losing in November. It's why it's no surprise to me that he only got one interview for HC.

Scott was only playing the way he had been shown by Raheem in earlier practices. I pointed this out repeatedly earlier in the season. When he became part of the starting rotation in the playoffs he was then coached up in the more aggressive style. Remember up to that point he was strictly STs. As a rookie, I could see how good Scott could be. Unlike the other safeties with the exception of Burgess, Scott has 4.4 CB type speed. IMO it was a mistake to not originally coach him up as a CB. They are making the same mistake with Burgess. Burgess has 4.46 speed and is 5'11" (i.e. no smurf) with experience as a CB. As a safety, he's already shown he can play as a zone CB. As a CB height matters as it increases his play radius, i.e. he doesn't have to play in the receiver's hip pocket.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The defense steadily improved and did it in sync with the offensive commitment to the run,
Many tings came together one of which I believe was the players understanding and ability to execute the concepts and subtlties of Morris scheme. Once that was in place they really were able to grow.
The time of possession giving them some rest helped as well.
Then we had injuries to overcome and players that weren't a perfect fit.
We have no chance to win the super bowl or even get there without Raheem in my eyes
A new DC will bring the same growing pains and challenges the first part of the season. It may not bring the same result the remainder of the season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!

Yeah ok YOU ALL HATERS!!!

Nothing since February 15th has been written & now all the these talks about certain Ram players who got better.
I was surprised that Raheem Morris just about had the Vikings job.It sort of reminded me of Lane Kiffan(lmao) got The Raiders HC job.
Anyway who really knows,but there is a inner coaching connection there.

I just want to keep the quote Raheem used ALL SUPERBOWL WINNING season. STATS are for lossers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saw the Ernest Jones talk & just made me think about Raheem Morris as a person & a coach.Besides really being Mcvay’s best NFL friend,he just gets players & people.
The list can go on like myself,but staying on point after the last preseason game.Morris came over to Jones & said remember what this felt like & how you prepared..He wanted him to keep positive & the mindset of him being a starter because your only one spot away.
To be honest I don’t know how any of The Rams rotations worked.Just know The Rams defensive coaching staff really just kept on coaching no matter what players were available.

Tano

Legend
Well I could post all kinds of plays earlier in the season where he had his CBs 5 to 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short whereas on the 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 in the Superbowl - he had the CBs playing tight.

That and his playing CBs 10 or more yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and long was my only complaint about Morris earlier in the season. And one other suggestion would have been to Morris that if he was going to play Reeder on 3rd and long, then he should blitz Reeder more often than he did. Reeder was a very good blitzer.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Raheem Morris was The Coach who will always be remembered in the Eric Weedle story of coming out of retirement & winning a SuperBowl while playing through a broken Collarbone? Whatever his injury was & having Tyler Rapp in there more is an example of what certain players mean in the Lockeroom & Field cs another player.
Like Raheem says Stats are for losers.
Then again everyone wants to blast Troy Reeder who in the playoffs took over calling plays in The Biggest stage. Weedle took that over in the SuperBowl & was another reason why that phone call was so big.
Mcvay takes credit for giving Eric the Mic. Troy Reeder though as a quiet leader stepped up because Weedle had the backend of the playcalling with RAMsey & Nick Scott.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My point from above is with Stats Reeder was the starting MLB when
The Rams were the number 1 defense under Staley when they were at there best becoming number 1.
Then Reeder was the starting MLB at time as a SuperBowl Champ calling the defensive plays at times.I’ve just LMAO( upsetting really) that there is & has been such negativity towards this 2 RAMS that are just hard workers & lunch pale guys. Actually Raheem helps Mcvay to be able to stay back at times.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Wow many calling for firing Morris and we end up winning the SB. Crazy to look back at all the disfunction here after the end result that we all wanted. :scream: :hiding:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
In a lot of our defenses.. during the first 2/3 of the season, the Defense wasn't SB calibur. And let teams go up and down the field. Raheem and the boys adjusted and completely locked it down.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m still not a Morris fan. I read all the comments on this page (Not the thread). I don’t hate the guy, his play calling has been a sore spot all year long for me. A fan can dislike aspects of his coaching and respect the individual. I respect he finally made adjustments in the second half of the SB. Just like I never embraced Martz, I’ll likely never change my mind about Morris.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Wow! I find it hard to believe that people remain unconvinced.

The players bought into his schemes and dominated when it mattered. Our best players say he is a great coach. McVay says he is a fantastic communicator and teacher. Perhaps we are lucky to have him? As he looks like a better head coach candidate than many of the white guys who got hired!

Psycho_X

Legend
Staley's defense sucked the beginning of 2020 and the same people demanded quite vehemently for McVay to fire him on the spot. He got it figured out. Morris took a bit longer than Staley but him and the players got it figured out. I just don't think Morris ever trusted the secondary and linebackers in coverage until we had VM increasing pressure and added Weddle's brains and Scott's speed to the backside.

Defenses across the entire NFL usually suck the first half of the season compared to the back half, especially in recent years with limited offseason practices and almost no hitting. The good coaches will usually get their shit figured out by playoff time after they figure out which players they can trust and what their limitations are. Hopefully we are able to retain Von Miller and add a little more speed to the back 7 in passing downs because I would love to watch a full season of that combo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Staley's defense sucked the beginning of 2020 and the same people demanded quite vehemently for McVay to fire him on the spot. He got it figured out.
That's Crazy Man!

You're actually suggesting that fans can ... sometimes ... Over-React?!?
They can view things as awful when they are not; or terrific when they are not.

That's a Wild Take on things.

Psycho_X

Legend
That's Crazy Man!

You're actually suggesting that fans can ... sometimes ... Over-React?!?
They can view things as awful when they are not; or terrific when they are not.

That's a Wild Take on things.
Luckily we have a season for people to look back on and say "You know, I really over reacted that whole 2021 season so maybe I should step back from the ledge and give these players/coaches benefit of the doubt for now". But oh well, what should be the over/under on how many minutes into game 1 of next season before someone in a GDT thread says a coach should be fire or that McVay is an issue?