Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well dammit then - I would have played Howard instead of Reeder on the 3rd down and long plays or at the very least - have Reeder blitz more than once the entire game on 3rd and long.

Reeder is a horrible cover linebacker.

One of the worst in the league imho.
But Reeder had to stay on because he was the Green Dot.

We all KNOW his limitations.. and Morris does as well. That’s why he put the green dot on Weddle for the Super Bowl.

He was working with what he had. And.. by the way… they won.. even with Reeder on the field a bunch.

Tano

Legend
But Reeder had to stay on because he was the Green Dot.

We all KNOW his limitations.. and Morris does as well. That’s why he put the green dot on Weddle for the Super Bowl.

He was working with what he had. And.. by the way… they won.. even with Reeder on the field a bunch.
And on the winning play against the 49ers, Raheem finally had Reeder blitz the one time in the entire game.

Like I said, just have him blitz more frequently on 3rd and long.

For example, if there are 5 3rd and long - have him blitz twice.

Reeder is an excellent blitzer.

Against the 49ers, I believe they had more than 5 3rd and longs before the final play of the game and Reeder didn't blitz once.

And as I said ealier, I was very happy with Raheems play calling for the postseason. I just wish he used Reeder better when he didn't have any other choice than to play him so I wouldn't have these minor heart attacks at the end of games lol

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And on the winning play against the 49ers, Raheem finally had Reeder blitz the one time in the entire game.

Like I said, just have him blitz more frequently on 3rd and long.

For example, if there are 5 3rd and long - have him blitz twice.

Reeder is an excellent blitzer.

Against the 49ers, I believe they had more than 5 3rd and longs before the final play of the game and Reeder didn't blitz once.

And as I said ealier, I was very happy with Raheems play calling for the postseason. I just wish he used Reeder better when he didn't have any other choice than to play him so I wouldn't have these minor heart attacks at the end of games lol
I’m sorry…
The defensive game plan against the Niners was masterful.

You wanna second guess that? Be my guest.

Tano

Legend
I’m sorry…
The defensive game plan against the Niners was masterful.

You wanna second guess that? Be my guest.
Only on that one player.

Otherwise Raheem did a great job.

But throughout the game, my wife kept asking, why does he keep playing Reeder.

And I responded, he doesn't have anyone else.

I think I am allowed to criticize Raheem on the use of one player when almost everyone else on this board has the same thoughts about Reeder when it comes to his pass coverage skills.

But again, kudos to Raheem for his otherwise excellent defensive calls throughout the postseason.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The good news is - he didn’t get plucked so we will have him back next year

He will probably get a job next cycle - and then we will get the comp pick

If he doesn’t get a gig next cycle - then we keep one of the best D coordinators for ourselves.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Only on that one player.

Otherwise Raheem did a great job.

But throughout the game, my wife kept asking, why does he keep playing Reeder.

And I responded, he doesn't have anyone else.

I think I am allowed to criticize Raheem on the use of one player when almost everyone else on this board has the same thoughts about Reeder when it comes to his pass coverage skills.

But again, kudos to Raheem for his otherwise excellent defensive calls throughout the postseason.
Of course you can criticize!!

I’m just big on context.

Reeder was what he had and they stuffed the 9ers, even with him out there, with a very specific game plan to battle that offense.

Reeder is not good… and we know Morris would prefer to not play him much. He didn’t have that option.

And you can’t *only* blitz with Reeder.. but, boy, did Morris call it up at the right time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

If he doesn’t get a gig next cycle - then we keep one of the best D coordinators for ourselves.
That would be a great win for the Rams if it worked out Raheem gets an HC job next season.

Tano

Legend
Of course you can criticize!!

I’m just big on context.

Reeder was what he had and they stuffed the 9ers, even with him out there, with a very specific game plan to battle that offense.

Reeder is not good… and we know Morris would prefer to not play him much. He didn’t have that option.

And you can’t *only* blitz with Reeder.. but, boy, did Morris call it up at the right time.
I did say that I wanted Reeder to blitz more often.

I gave an example that if there are 5 3rd and long - blitz him maybe twice with maybe one or two also showing blitz and dropping back.

Keep them guessing

And yeah - that one blitz was played to perfection.

IF I remember correctly...we also would get some compensation from the NFL draft pick wise if he gets hired after being with us for 2yrs. That is an added bonus that we would not get if he got poached this year.

I think he grew into the job and put his own spin on things as the season went on. He did a really good job in the end and I am glad he was our DC.

Ramsey on the other hand...I cannot stand him. I just hate a bragging in your face player that can't back it up. He got TORCHED this post season and I don't care what anyone says...he is not one of the best (now) and definitely not in the Revis Island conversation. I watched a lot of Revis and Deion ... Ramsey is not even close to them. He is the only one of our stars not able to perform in the playoffs...the only one. If you can find a sucker...trade his ass out of town and recoup some of the draft capital you spent acquiring him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I did say that I wanted Reeder to blitz more often.

I gave an example that if there are 5 3rd and long - blitz him maybe twice with maybe one or two also showing blitz and dropping back.

Keep them guessing

And yeah - that one blitz was played to perfection.
Troy Reeder does have a good ability to get into the backfield in passing situations. It's possible that Reeder can play some relief at the OLB'er post if needed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Troy Reeder does have a good ability to get into the backfield in passing situations. It's possible that Reeder can play some relief at the OLB'er post if needed.
He seems to have straightline quickness/ burst, but struggles when going sideline to sideline.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I completely wanted Morris fired during the season, and there was good reason to be angry with him with his bend and then break defense. BUT, at the end of the season and in the playoffs, he showed that he can not only adapt, but run a great defense at times. With help from AD99 and some other great players, of course.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I doubt it but I wonder if mid season McVay sat down with him and told him what he's doing isn't working or good enough, and it needed to change.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I completely wanted Morris fired during the season, and there was good reason to be angry with him with his bend and then break defense. BUT, at the end of the season and in the playoffs, he showed that he can not only adapt, but run a great defense at times. With help from AD99 and some other great players, of course.
Why was there “good reason”… as opposed to “overreacting about an unfinished product?”

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Why was there “good reason”… as opposed to “overreacting about an unfinished product?”
He did have a few shitty games. Especially earlier and mid season. But he turned it around at the end. If he hadn't adapted, we would not be SB champions right now.