(Poll) Goff or Wentz. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB do you want?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• Don't care. I'm just here to troll the board

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Excerpt from Mike Silver's article that bears emphasis:

And make no mistake: He and Snead are intent on milking the drama for all its worth between now and draft night, with organizational sources sending out conflicting reports of which quarterback the Rams prefer to numerous reporters, a process likely to continue right up until the moment when the Rams are officially on the clock.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-qb-tour-bred-blockbuster-trade-for-no-1-pick

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
NDSU won with and many need to look up how they won Without him. NDSU is the big boy on the block for a very long time. Winners down to the ballboy. Competition level is not even comparable. Yes we have McNair and Big Ben. Cal did not ask their QB's work with the weights. They had a more of a yoga program. I fully believe as a past bodybuilder and weight trainer that especially today you can add weight very easily if that is your focus. Goff is taller than Warner and possibly as accurate in tight windows. You either have accuracy or you don't and from college to the pro's most college QB's comp. Percentage goes down.

Given the degree of competition change for both QB's and accuracy percentage drop along with Carson Wentz playing with the better O-Line and team and Cal's recievers dropped so many balls right in their hands if you have watched any game film at all. I fully believe 100% Fisher is gonna take Wentz and Goff drops to the Whiners and this Old Los Angeles Rams fan dies a bitter, sour older man. Fisher and Snead will at least be long gone. I am a very big fan of Everyone that has played for North Dakota State University and have banged the drum at draft time for every player they have had up for the draft. I Love Carson Wentz just as much. It is just a shame I have to agree with my Favorite RAMS QB ever to wear the horns on color TV and against speedy defensive backs that "Goff has to be the guy".

The footwork and unteachable accuracy Goff already has and wont change with an additional 15 lb"s and how many big hits did Warner get up from ? Roman Gabriel was mostly responsible for my first RAM Crush and his size got us to playoffs , yet we never got to the promise land. Warner and his accuracy and ability to Pre-read and continue to read defenses was his Forte' . I'm sure Fisher will pick the next G-Rob potential over the guy who already was steady at the position in Matthews. I think Goff is a much bigger example of seperation at the position. Bucs SB champion coach says he's the best QB coming out of college in 10 years. All that matters is what Jeff Fisher thinks . I don't think he should even still be our coach after what he has shown. The fact Fisher wants Wentz scares the HELL out of me. To say he fits Fisher's style better is another scary statement used all too often. :death::death::death::death::death:

You hit a lot of points that I believe as well. Lets hope you are wrong and Silver is right.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
at's funny because I was just thinking about how wobbly a throw Goff makes. Wentz is actually known for his pretty passes with the tight spirals.[/QUOTE
Interesting 503, Always cool to see how people view the same thing differently. I work in a very creative industry where I am always impressed by the different ways people see the same thing. I know from our past PM's that you must have some of your momma's creativeness as well as expressed in your endeavours in the world of fine cuisine.
Anyway I am more referring to Goffs arch on the ball and placement that allows his receivers to run under without breaking stride. I guess technically it is the pass by Goff that I find so pretty but the actual spiral is as you say a Wentz speciality. I am excited either way and much less familiar with Carson. The more I watch video and listen to the Pro's I start to lean toward Carson. They are both top prospects and I hope we get it right.
Very exciting times and certainly a much needed addition either way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting 503, Always cool to see how people view the same thing differently. I work in a very creative industry where I am always impressed by the different ways people see the same thing. I know from our past PM's that you must have some of your momma's creativeness as well as expressed in your endeavours in the world of fine cuisine.
Anyway I am more referring to Goffs arch on the ball and placement that allows his receivers to run under without breaking stride. I guess technically it is the pass by Goff that I find so pretty but the actual spiral is as you say a Wentz speciality. I am excited either way and much less familiar with Carson. The more I watch video and listen to the Pro's I start to lean toward Carson. They are both top prospects and I hope we get it right.
Very exciting times and certainly a much needed addition either way.
I get what you are saying. And I think @jrry32 has brought that up as well.

I think it is interesting. Many criticized Bradford for throwing too hard and lacking touch on passes that simply didn't need the velocity. I remember one occasion where he split Amendola's palm. I don't see that being a problem with either QB but I have heard many accounts where a tight spiral is easier to catch than a ball that flutters.

I personally think that Carson is a better fit and will give us more upside immediately - not only because he seems to naturally know where to throw the ball both in close and at distance but also with his legs. I also watched Goff short arm several close in passes that I haven't seen from Carson. I just don't think we can rely on our O-line to provide a clean pocket against the likes of AZ and Seattle even if they are playing well together. So while Goff might have a quicker trigger and better touch - slightly - I think it is going to come down to creating rather than being a pure pocket passer.

I don't think there is a wrong QB out of the two top choices but to me, Goff's needs are greater than Wentz's. The problem is that without the kinds of tape and personal visits the Rams have at their disposal, we are all at an extreme disadvantage when evaluating the two. I just hope they get it right. There is a lot on the line with either choice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally think that Carson is a better fit and will give us more upside immediately - not only because he seems to naturally know where to throw the ball both in close and at distance but also with his legs. I also watched Goff short arm several close in passes that I haven't seen from Carson. I just don't think we can rely on our O-line to provide a clean pocket against the likes of AZ and Seattle even if they are playing well together. So while Goff might have a quicker trigger and better touch - slightly - I think it is going to come down to creating rather than being a pure pocket passer.

That's why I actually prefer Goff. He played behind a bad OL in college. Dude had to learn how to work the pocket and buy time with his footwork in order to survive. He's a special player in terms of pocket instincts, movement, and poise under pressure. He has really quick feet as well which definitely helps.

He's the sort of guy who can buy time in the pocket with quick, subtle movements like Brady and Manning do/did. Guys like that are uber valuable and make their OLs look good.

Unfortunately for Wentz, one of his biggest flaws right now is how raw his pocket movement is. He doesn't keep his feet active when he's standing in the pocket and his throwing base was too wide. He's shown improvement since the end of the season but it's still going to be something that he'll have to keep working on and improving. Goff's way ahead of him in terms of pocket movement and instincts.

Wentz kind of reminds me of a young Bradford. He typically had good protection so he wasn't forced to master pocket movement in the same way Goff was. He could settle after taking his drop a lot of the time. Goff had to move or he'd get crushed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get this at all. You dont feel comfortable comparing him to Andrew Luck because he lacks accolades but youll compare him to the 11 time pro bowler, 4 time superbowl champ, 3 times superbowl mvp, 2 time league mvp, Tom Brady? Whom he plays NOTHING like?

You forgot to mention full time cheat.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Was watching nfl live today. They brought up this tidbit of information.

Excluding last season because it's yet to be determined, every year qbs have gone 1 and 2 one has turned out to be very good and one has busted.

Choose carefully rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
his throwing base was too wide

This jumps out at me with Wentz, and I don't like it. Lots of bodies will be around those legs in the NFL.

I still like Wentz a lot. Just pointing the concern out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't mean anything. If he's as tight as he says with Fisher he could be playing everybody on the request of Fisher.

I don't know what games the Rams have left to play at this point. They're at #1. Unless they think they can convince a team to trade up with Cleveland and then swap #2 for #1.(or have Cleveland swap)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what games the Rams have left to play at this point. They're at #1. Unless they think they can convince a team to trade up with Cleveland and then swap #2 for #1.(or have Cleveland swap)

I don't know, maybe he just likes toying with the media. Also, if the media don't know who the Rams are picking they will be talking about the Rams. If they know they will be talking about the #2 pick. May have been a directive from Stan. Just throwing stuff out there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
About 200 votes in.
RamsOnDemand cares. :coach:
200.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's much closer than I thought. I would have guessed a wider lead for Wentz.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pretty good set of quick hits by the guys who study the draft at NFL.com. Although, some of their reasons for one or the other aren't very good reasons to influence the choice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ntz-who-should-rams-take-with-no-1-draft-pick

Goff vs Wentz: Who should the Rams pick?

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Rams sent shockwaves through the NFL by jumping from No. 15 in this month's draft all the way up to No. 1. Of course, this move didn't come without a price: The Rams sent the Titans two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders over the next two drafts (in exchange for No. 1, No. 113 and No. 177 in this month's event). But the trade puts the Rams in position to (presumably) draft a quarterback to build around as the franchise returns to L.A.

It appears that two signal callers have separated themselves from the pack: Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, NFL Network will break down the biggest question heading into the 2016 draft with a special program, "Path to the Draft: Goff or Wentz?" But in the meantime, what do you think? Which of these two QBs should the Rams select at No. 1 overall?

Carson Wentz has more long-term promise, but Jared Goff is the guy for L.A. in 2016
I like Carson Wentz over Jared Goff long term, but Goff is a better fit right now. And Los Angeles could indeed be a QB away from being a playoff team -- the Rams have a good defense and a Pro Bowl RB in Todd Gurley. Goff has very good pocket presence -- he sees things quickly and has a quick release. But he does not have a top arm.

To be frank, though, I don't think either one of these QBs is an elite prospect.

Wentz is the superior prospect -- in fact, he's better than Blake Bortles was coming out of UCF
They should take Carson Wentz. He's bigger, more athletic, has a stronger arm and gained experience in an NFL system while at North Dakota State. He's proven to play his best in big moments, and he's done nothing but win his entire athletic career.

Wentz's toughness, competitiveness and football intelligence are off the charts. He's a better player than Blake Bortles was coming out of Central Florida.

I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles
In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Return to L.A. gives Rams more time to develop a QB -- I'd bet on Wentz's upside
If this were still the St. Louis Rams, I would probably say Jared Goff because they would need to win more immediately. However, in Los Angeles, the Rams should have a honeymoon period that allows them to bring Carson Wentz along with more patience.

At the end of the day, I believe that Wentz has the potential to be a "face of the franchise" quarterback more than Goff.

Goff's experience will allow him to be the Rams' starter on Day 1
The Rams should take Jared Goff with the top pick. The Cal quarterback is the more polished and experienced player at the position. Goff enters the NFL with 1,500-plus pass attempts and 37 career college starts (compared to Wentz's 612 attempts and 23 college starts), which makes him better prepared to step into the lineup as a Day 1 starter.

From a physical standpoint, Goff doesn't have the big arm or prototypical dimensions of Wentz, but he displays better footwork and poise in the pocket. He plays with his eyes and feet connected, while exhibiting good poise under duress. Goff's ability to thrive within chaos sets him apart from others in the class and gives him the nod in this debate.

Considering Goff's outstanding touch, timing and anticipation as a passer, the Rams finally have a chance to field an explosive offense with the potential to attack on the ground or through the air.

Rams made a bold move with win-now intentions, so Goff has to be the pick
You don't blow a hole in two drafts -- as the L.A. Rams just did in moving up to No. 1 -- to acquire a quarterback who might need a year or two to develop. That's why the choice needs to be Jared Goff of Cal.

While Carson Wentz's offense at North Dakota State might have been more NFL-like, it's a mistake to lump Cal's "Bear Raid" offense in with other college spread offenses that translate poorly to the pros. Goff, with an experience edge over Wentz -- and having played against a much higher level of competition in the Pac-12 -- will be more ready to win games right off the bat.

Wentz would seem to be a better fit in the Rams' Todd Gurley-led offense
I'm thinking Carson Wentz. Unless the Rams view Jared Goff as a clearly superior quarterback to Wentz, I would go with the guy who has been under center more in his career if I were part of the Rams' brass. Not because Goff can't assimilate himself to pro sets outside of the spread and shotgun, but because the Rams' best player is tailback Todd Gurley, who often operates out of a single-back set. The key to the Rams making big plays downfield this season is having success with play action to Gurley, and that is something -- at least under center -- that Wentz is more equipped to carry out at this stage.

Wentz will fit like a glove into into Jeff Fisher's offense
I have had Jared Goff rated slightly higher than Carson Wentz throughout the run up to the draft. But when it comes to who should the Rams take with the No. 1 overall pick, I believe they should select Carson Wentz. To me, he would fit nicely with what Los Angeles wants to do on offense given head coach Jeff Fisher's background -- run the ball, hit big plays off of play action, and pair that philosophy with a stout defense already in place. Wentz's background at North Dakota State saw him handling line calls, adjustments and audibles in the run and pass game, and operating a lot of offense from under center, in the pistol and shot gun. His ability to read fronts and control the run game would be valuable.

As an added bonus, his athleticism and comfort running the ball will really come in handy. The possibility of his escaping out the backdoor will help tamp down pressure packages focused solely on stopping Pro Bowl RB Todd Gurley, and Wentz's sturdy 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame allows him a great chance to hold up well as a runner.

Finally, with the heavy focus and commitment to running the football, the plan would be for Wentz to be able to throw the ball against easier coverages and in more favorable situations. That would allow him to break into and acclimate to the league quicker, as well as develop without being hit so often early in his career when trying to pass.

This formula worked well for Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson as rookies. I think that Carson Wentz would find it agreeable, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Goff's way ahead of him in terms of pocket movement and instincts.

Wentz kind of reminds me of a young Bradford. He typically had good protection so he wasn't forced to master pocket movement in the same way Goff was. He could settle after taking his drop a lot of the time. Goff had to move or he'd get crushed.

Does Goff's slight build scare you and his hand size as well? Goff was removed from the only game he played in the rain also Wentz has actually taken more plays under center then Goff as NDSU ran a pro style attack.

Now I like both QB's, they are both very smart and what Wentz brings to the table in his ability to run Goff is very accurate, but IMHO, I will take the guy who is bigger, stronger and faster if from the neck up, they are equal.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Both very very smart! Wentz scored a 40 and Goff a 36 on the Wonderlic. Very strong scores!

I concur and that is why if the Rams went Goff over Wentz I would not be that upset, but IMHO Wentz does offer so much more from an athletic standpoint and I do believe Hand Size is an issue especially in cold weather games or in rain, now the gloves have helped smaller hand QB's, but I did not see Goff wear a glove yet and how it would affect him.

The debate about how much hand size should factor into quarterback evaluations rippled to the forefront of the NFL Scouting Combine last week, and it could continue well into the spring atCleveland Browns headquarters.

The Browns have made no secret of the fact that they want to pick a QB in this year's draft -- it's expected they'll have their choice of the draft's top players at the position, Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, when they're on the clock with the No. 2 overall pick.

Hand size happens to be one of the most tangible differences between the draft's top two QBs, as Wentz has a full inch advantage on Goff, who comes outon the small side in the category at 9 inches.

Jackson is already on the record as a believer that hand size matters for QBs, especially ones playing in the Browns' division, where rainy, snowy weather can be a factor, and he reiterated that on Thursday. He was also asked about Goff's hand size for the first time since the official measurements were released at the combine.

"As long as he can hold the ball and he doesn't get stripped, it's not a problem to me," Jackson said, per The Akron Beacon Journal. "But if there's a problem that way, then it would be a consideration."

It'll be up to Jackson and the Browns to determine whether Goff's 23 fumbles during his three seasons at Cal are indeed a problem. Goff said at the combine that he felt he improved in that area -- he fumbled just 4 times last season.

"I've been told I have pretty big hands my whole life," Goff said last week. "I heard I have small hands yesterday, apparently. Naw, I've never had a problem with that or expect it to be a problem at all."

Jackson said Thursday that Cleveland isn't anywhere close to making a decision on which direction to go in with the No. 2 overall pick. The coach plans to attend the pro days of the top QB prospects, and Goff will be due up first on March 18.

"We want to draft a quarterback," Jackson toldWKRK-FM in Cleveland, per The Beacon Journal. "But it's got to be the right fit, it's got to be the right person, it's got to have the right feel."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ckson-addresses-jared-goff-handsize-questions

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I caution everyone to be very careful about how they phrase their arguments In Goff v Wentz. Building your guy up is a very good thing ... trying to cut down the other guy to make your guy seem better - not so good.

Not trying to stifle good debate - but the guy that you're cutting down maybe the future of our franchise. I'm talking to myself as much as any of you here - I fall into this rut year after year.

Having said all that - Wentz is the clear choice.

:boxing:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I concur and that is why if the Rams went Goff over Wentz I would not be that upset, but IMHO Wentz does offer so much more from an athletic standpoint and I do believe Hand Size is an issue especially in cold weather games or in rain, now the gloves have helped smaller hand QB's, but I did not see Goff wear a glove yet and how it would affect him.

The debate about how much hand size should factor into quarterback evaluations rippled to the forefront of the NFL Scouting Combine last week, and it could continue well into the spring atCleveland Browns headquarters.

The Browns have made no secret of the fact that they want to pick a QB in this year's draft -- it's expected they'll have their choice of the draft's top players at the position, Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, when they're on the clock with the No. 2 overall pick.

Hand size happens to be one of the most tangible differences between the draft's top two QBs, as Wentz has a full inch advantage on Goff, who comes outon the small side in the category at 9 inches.

Jackson is already on the record as a believer that hand size matters for QBs, especially ones playing in the Browns' division, where rainy, snowy weather can be a factor, and he reiterated that on Thursday. He was also asked about Goff's hand size for the first time since the official measurements were released at the combine.

"As long as he can hold the ball and he doesn't get stripped, it's not a problem to me," Jackson said, per The Akron Beacon Journal. "But if there's a problem that way, then it would be a consideration."

It'll be up to Jackson and the Browns to determine whether Goff's 23 fumbles during his three seasons at Cal are indeed a problem. Goff said at the combine that he felt he improved in that area -- he fumbled just 4 times last season.

"I've been told I have pretty big hands my whole life," Goff said last week. "I heard I have small hands yesterday, apparently. Naw, I've never had a problem with that or expect it to be a problem at all."

Jackson said Thursday that Cleveland isn't anywhere close to making a decision on which direction to go in with the No. 2 overall pick. The coach plans to attend the pro days of the top QB prospects, and Goff will be due up first on March 18.

"We want to draft a quarterback," Jackson toldWKRK-FM in Cleveland, per The Beacon Journal. "But it's got to be the right fit, it's got to be the right person, it's got to have the right feel."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ckson-addresses-jared-goff-handsize-questions
I know some of you don't like the guy, but Ben Albright and I exchanged on Twitter yesterday about the hand size. He has put Goff on his "undraftable" list because of the hand size thing. And in a way, he is correct. No NFL QB with Goff's hand size has ever produced in the NFL. The only one who came close was Mike Vick. And it was his athleticism that gave him success, more so than his passing. And I can't really dispute those findings on my own. I'm not saying his note of record is solid gold ... .but it does have some merit....