(Poll) Goff or Wentz. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB do you want?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• Don't care. I'm just here to troll the board

Results are only viewable after voting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does Goff's slight build scare you and his hand size as well? Goff was removed from the only game he played in the rain also Wentz has actually taken more plays under center then Goff as NDSU ran a pro style attack.

Now I like both QB's, they are both very smart and what Wentz brings to the table in his ability to run Goff is very accurate, but IMHO, I will take the guy who is bigger, stronger and faster if from the neck up, they are equal.

Nah. Neither are huge concerns for me. I'd like to see Goff get bigger, though.

I'll take the QB who is superior in accuracy, instincts/movement in the pocket, performance under pressure, and more polished mentally despite Wentz being a better physical talent.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

I'll take the QB who is superior in accuracy, instincts/movement in the pocket, performance under pressure, and more polished mentally despite Wentz being a better physical talent.
I would also take Goff and I expect the Rams will do so. Wentz is an outstanding prospect-- big, athletic, strong arm, excellent ability to master the play book and calls at the line-- but Goff is a better passer in terms of accuracy, footwork, release, and ability to move in the pocket to avoid pressure. Fisher commented a couple of months ago, before the Rams knew their strategy, that Goff has what you are looking for in an NFL quarterback. These are also known factors with Goff, and against the PAC-12, not extrapolations based on potential. If Mike Silver's reporting is accurate, Goff also blew the Rams away at a private workout.

With respect to Fisher supposedly preferring a more physical quarterback: We saw with Fisher's view of Bradford that he values accuracy very highly, maybe at the very top of the list. Goff is probably as accurate, but Bradford never had Goff's footwork, release, or pocket presence.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Amazing that more don't view YOUR view (well at least on this subject:ROFLMAO:)

Of course the Rams have made their choice, I'm praying, praying they for just this once eschew upside for real talent

Maybe CW is their guy, and if so well then I'll concede they've done their diligence, I just can't see it, not knowing that there is a sure thing out there in Goff

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With all due respect, I think think hand size thing is really overplayed in importance...Unless he has the hands of a jr high kid or as big as the hulk, I think if it was a real problem it would have cause enough problems at the collegiate level to be of concern...Also, the fact that the Rams know full well his hand size, it doesn't sound t me like they are concerned...Watching him throw in heavy rain would seem to debunk the fear of it being a real problem..This is just my opinion of course...

here's the most important question about his hands - are they "man" hands?

Last edited:
Amazing that more don't view YOUR view (well at least on this subject:ROFLMAO:)

Of course the Rams have made their choice, I'm praying, praying they for just this once eschew upside for real talent

Maybe CW is their guy, and if so well then I'll concede they've done their diligence, I just can't see it, not knowing that there is a sure thing out there in Goff

I see this posted a lot about Goff as opposed to those who don't believe the same to be true about Carson Wentz. Anyone thinking any player is going to be a sure thing is kidding themselves. So much is out of the players control. I see no reason based on what Goff did at Cal to think he's a sure thing. If anything I've seen Wentz play through the playoffs. Doing two minute drills to win games. I think everyone who is on the Goff train is because he played at Cal which is fine but they didn't exactly light the world on fire. He surely didn't shine above his competitors at his level. Again not to say he's a bad QB because he's not but the system he played in is a far cry from what he will be playing in. :)

This was posted here by a Cal fan or so he said he was. I have no reason to not believe he is/was. Just was some very eye opening comments by a fan who has by his account anyway seen plenty of Cal football. I bolded the parts that caught my attention.

"I grew up a fan of the California Golden Bears. I went to my first game at Memorial Stadium in 1968. Most of my family has graduated from Cal. What I can tell you is that Rams will probably select Goff # 1 overall in the 2016 NFL Draft. They should not, but, they will because by all of the measurable information that organizations collect these days. For them Goff will be the logical choice.

My personal feeling is that Goff is going to have a hard time in the NFL. Since college and professional football has been divided over the last decade or so by the use of the spread option and air raid concepts now popular in the college game it has become more difficult for college signal callers to make the transition from college to professional football. The two most successful of these quarterbacks have been Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Newton has been able to make the transition in part because the Carolina organization has been smart to allow Newton to use his own personal skill set while he has grown into the position of being an NFL quarterback (ie the the spread option concepts he used in college) while also allowing him to use his physical size and strength as a running threat, especially in the red zone.

Kaepernick was given the same advantage when he came out of college but the more the 49ers tried to force him into being a pro-style quarterback the more problems he had.

The history of Cal football over the last fifty years has been for the most part a history of bad to mediocre football. There has been a few exceptions but bad to mediocre has been the overall trend. However, even when Cal has been bad they have always been able to produce moments. Usually sneaking up on a superior team such as Stanford (Cal's #1 rival), UCLA, or Arizona. These upsets took place in years where Cal's record for the season could be anywhere from 2-9 to 4-7. In 1980 I personally saw the Golden Bears led by "The Great Jay Torchio" (note the sarcasm) beat Stanford and John Elway in the final game of the season. Cal finished the season with a record of 3-8 costing Roger Theder his job as head coach at Cal.

The reason why I mention all of this is because Jared Goff in his Cal career never produced "A Moment". In three seasons at Cal Jared Goff has defeated 3 division 1 football programs. All in his final season. He has beaten San Diego State, Air Force, and Washington State. That's it.

Cal started the 2015 campaign with a 5-0 record beating Grambing State, San Diego State, Texas, Washington, and Washington State. With a 5-0 start ABC decided to make the Cal-Utah game in week six a featured game of the week. Goff threw 5 interceptions and 0 Touchdowns under the bright lights of a national audience.

People are very impressed with Jared Goff's statistics. 43 Touchdown passes and over 4,000 yards passing in his final season at Cal. Before anyone gets excited about this they should know that Colby Cameron had similar statistics at Louisiana Tech during his senior season (Sonny Dykes last year at LA Tech) throwing for 4147 yards 31 TDs and 5 interceptions. Compared to Goff's 43 TD's with 13 interceptions. Cameron barely got a sniff in the NFL.

Is Goff going to be great? I do not know. Is he going to be a bust? I still do not know. What I do know is that he has never had to learn a play book having run the same offense in high school as he did in college.

My overall feeling is that if a great QB comes out of this draft it is going to be someone that we are presently not talking about."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was posted here by a Cal fan or so he said he was. I have no reason to not believe he is/was. Just was some very eye opening comments by a fan who has by his account anyway seen plenty of Cal football. I bolded the parts that caught my attention.

"I grew up a fan of the California Golden Bears. I went to my first game at Memorial Stadium in 1968. Most of my family has graduated from Cal. What I can tell you is that Rams will probably select Goff # 1 overall in the 2016 NFL Draft. They should not, but, they will because by all of the measurable information that organizations collect these days. For them Goff will be the logical choice.

My personal feeling is that Goff is going to have a hard time in the NFL. Since college and professional football has been divided over the last decade or so by the use of the spread option and air raid concepts now popular in the college game it has become more difficult for college signal callers to make the transition from college to professional football. The two most successful of these quarterbacks have been Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Newton has been able to make the transition in part because the Carolina organization has been smart to allow Newton to use his own personal skill set while he has grown into the position of being an NFL quarterback (ie the the spread option concepts he used in college) while also allowing him to use his physical size and strength as a running threat, especially in the red zone.

Kaepernick was given the same advantage when he came out of college but the more the 49ers tried to force him into being a pro-style quarterback the more problems he had.

The history of Cal football over the last fifty years has been for the most part a history of bad to mediocre football. There has been a few exceptions but bad to mediocre has been the overall trend. However, even when Cal has been bad they have always been able to produce moments. Usually sneaking up on a superior team such as Stanford (Cal's #1 rival), UCLA, or Arizona. These upsets took place in years where Cal's record for the season could be anywhere from 2-9 to 4-7. In 1980 I personally saw the Golden Bears led by "The Great Jay Torchio" (note the sarcasm) beat Stanford and John Elway in the final game of the season. Cal finished the season with a record of 3-8 costing Roger Theder his job as head coach at Cal.

The reason why I mention all of this is because Jared Goff in his Cal career never produced "A Moment". In three seasons at Cal Jared Goff has defeated 3 division 1 football programs. All in his final season. He has beaten San Diego State, Air Force, and Washington State. That's it.

Cal started the 2015 campaign with a 5-0 record beating Grambing State, San Diego State, Texas, Washington, and Washington State. With a 5-0 start ABC decided to make the Cal-Utah game in week six a featured game of the week. Goff threw 5 interceptions and 0 Touchdowns under the bright lights of a national audience.

People are very impressed with Jared Goff's statistics. 43 Touchdown passes and over 4,000 yards passing in his final season at Cal. Before anyone gets excited about this they should know that Colby Cameron had similar statistics at Louisiana Tech during his senior season (Sonny Dykes last year at LA Tech) throwing for 4147 yards 31 TDs and 5 interceptions. Compared to Goff's 43 TD's with 13 interceptions. Cameron barely got a sniff in the NFL.

Is Goff going to be great? I do not know. Is he going to be a bust? I still do not know. What I do know is that he has never had to learn a play book having run the same offense in high school as he did in college.

My overall feeling is that if a great QB comes out of this draft it is going to be someone that we are presently not talking about."

Hear this same nonsense year after year directed towards QBs who didn't come out of pro style offenses. It's meaningless. Surprised people even pay attention to it at this point.

I think everyone who is on the Goff train is because he played at Cal which is fine but they didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Nope, that's not why I'm on the "Goff train."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love Goff and I'd love Wentz in the Rams uniform. The only thing I don't want is either one of them in a Whiner uniform.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I had to peak my head in here to see the vibe after the trade. I chose option 3.

How in the world according to Garp can anyone like this deal, or, for that matter trust this front office on QB evaluation at all? THEY SUCK!

I suppose Mannion now stands as a throw away third round pick. Bradford and Foles were also supposed to be the answer. This regime is given yet another fresh start? As someone said on another Rams site:

"Fisher is finally going to win a championship for the Titans".

After all of that blood and treasure the Rams gave up, there isn't even a clear cut choice amongst the botched and bungled pajama warriors as to who savior of the franchise is going to be? There is also no ammo left to give whoever it is the keys to succeed. This is a half baked, poorly planned, Bradrord redoux! By the way, Bradford was an elite prospect.

I was going to ride off into the sunset after Enos pulled the real life "Major League" thing on our city. However, this crazy trade was announced during an NHL show that I listen to. As a former season ticket holder, I felt the urge to chime in. It is hard to walk away from a 20 year passion. I'm also sorry if I urinated on anyone's parade.

Actually, no you're not. That's why you did it. :shades:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Have been doing a lot more reading, and film study on these two QB's since the Trade! And I'm "CONVINCED !!" Wentz is the one the Rams Should Take!! JMHO for what it's worth!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hear this same nonsense year after year directed towards QBs who didn't come out of pro style offenses. It's meaningless. Surprised people even pay attention to it at this point.
Wait a minute. Haven't you said the same thing about other QBs in draft discussions? At least giving them points because they played in a pro set? Even as recently as Jameis over Marriota?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I Have been doing a lot more reading, and film study on these two QB's since the Trade! And I'm "CONVINCED !!" Wentz is the one the Rams Should Take!! JMHO for what it's worth!!
giphy.gif

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Well ... I do have a 50/50 chance of being right!
Dont we all!! This draft needs to come and go so we can stop this insanity lol. Really the most worthless debate ever kind of. some will be right, some wrong, but we will all be happy in the end, well the majority will. Either one will improve us.

Goff will still be better....cough cough...:fighting:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I know some of you don't like the guy, but Ben Albright and I exchanged on Twitter yesterday about the hand size. He has put Goff on his "undraftable" list because of the hand size thing. And in a way, he is correct. No NFL QB with Goff's hand size has ever produced in the NFL. The only one who came close was Mike Vick. And it was his athleticism that gave him success, more so than his passing. And I can't really dispute those findings on my own. I'm not saying his note of record is solid gold ... .but it does have some merit....

Romo's hand size is 8-7/8".
OTOH, Vick was very inaccurate- he threw bullets, but missed a lot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait a minute. Haven't you said the same thing about other QBs in draft discussions?

No. I have not. I don't tell people not to draft QBs because they did not play in a pro style offense. I don't evaluate a QB based on the offense he plays in.

At least giving them points because they played in a pro set? Even as recently as Jameis over Marriota?

Sure. I'll give a guy "points" if he is outstanding in a pro style offense. Especially if he has more responsibilities and makes more challenging throws. But I won't build my evaluation around it. And it won't compensate for being a lesser QB.

But frankly, getting away from the guy's awful point, his post isn't even remotely factually accurate:

Let's a few things straight since that Cal fan doesn't seem to know the facts.
1. It's actually gotten easier in recent years for QBs to make the transition. Look at the numbers rookie QBs are putting up and the success rates for first round passers have not declined.
2. Colin Kaepernick is not the second best spread QB. We've had Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, etc. come out of spread offenses in the past 5 years. There were also a number of spread QBs before that including Joe Flacco and Drew Brees who were successful.
3. I am a bit confused as to how Cal has only defeated 3 Division 1 programs in Goff's 3 years as a starter when the nitwit just named 5 Division 1 programs that Cal defeated during their 5-0 run this year. But let's assume he meant FBS instead of Division 1, he still named four FBS programs (Texas, Washington State, Washington, and San Diego State). In addition to those 4 programs, Cal also defeated Oregon State, Arizona State, and Air Force. That's 7 FBS programs in 2015 alone. In 2014, they defeated 4 more FBS programs in Oregon State, Washington State, Colorado, and Northwestern. So let's just say he's completely wrong.
4. No, actually, Goff threw 2 TDs to 5 Ints in that game against Utah.

Just to clarify, I'm not speaking to Bisonbacker. I'm pointing out that this guy he's quoting says nothing about what type of player Goff is and manages to get his facts completely wrong. Not the type of analysis that anyone should pay attention to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure. I'll give a guy "points" if he is outstanding in a pro style offense. Especially if he has more responsibilities and makes more challenging throws. But I won't build my evaluation around it. And it won't compensate for being a lesser QB.
I have but one critical criteria on which I evaluate QBs.

Untitled.gif

If he does, I do not draft that QB.