Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yeah, I agree that we're criticizing Morris for last season. The Ram's defense has played well enough for us to be 5-1. We forced 4 turnovers against the buffalos but other than that they scored at will.

Our offense is the problem. We get some key players back and an additional week of rest and preparation. I hope it translates to a win because Green and Tampa Bay are on the edge of collapse this season. We can send the whiners into that abyss also.

I don't buy that dweebo is out until I see it. I hope he is out so the Rams can key on kittle and aiyuk.

But it's like last season. Seems to good to be true that we'll beat them and send them down the shitter.

Tano

Legend
More Importantly W3 - L3
I believe those that think the defense could be more aggressive, might have changed that, by giving the offense more opportunities.
What we see, is dink and dunk, huge cushions, and taking time from the offense instead of press, and trying to get 3 and outs.

It's a philosophy, where we don't believe Coach Morris is using, what we see is a bend don't break, prevent defense.
Nothing of that type shows any attempt to utilize the Pass Rush talent of AD or the Man Coverage skills of Ramsey.

It could be personnel issues.
The thing is, the cushion and anti-pass rush. Cannot argue whether it's bad or not when the defensive play call nullifies it most of the time.
I'm glad we are not getting blown out, but a L is a L and a W is a W.

We may not agree, but those of of are not happy with the 10 yard cushions and easy first downs. Especially when we are behind.
I'm so okay with this style when we are ahead. But when it's 0 - 0 or the Rams are behind, that play style works against the Rams O.
Exactly

Tano

Legend
I get it, you like the fancy stats.
Morris is concerned with overall effectiveness, and based on the scoring average, particularly in the last 5 games, he knows what he's doing.
But I do get it, and frankly that's why us fans are hammering away on a keyboard while Morris is standing on the sidelines on Sundays.
With a SB ring on his finger I may add
It's not the fancy stats - its the offensive play is so bad - we need the defense to be even better than it is - and I think we can do that with our personnel on defense

Some people disagree and that's fine - I am just posting my opinion

Plus last year, we won a superbowl by playing a much more aggressive defense and I thought Morris was awesome in the playoffs. I just wish he would do the same in the regular season this year. Personnel - I get it. But I disagree. Coaches are human too and can get stubborn in their ways. Look at McVay's play calling in some games where he abandons the run. He's not perfect as well. But I still want both of them to be our coaches.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As much as we criticized Morris last year, I think he deserves credit for what the defense is doing this year. With very little production from the edges they still have a top ten defense bordering on top 5. He's doing a good job with his game planning and in game adjustments. And we can't deny what they did in the playoffs last season. Held the vaunted 49er run game to 50 yards.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More Importantly W3 - L3
I believe those that think the defense could be more aggressive, might have changed that, by giving the offense more opportunities.
What we see, is dink and dunk, huge cushions, and taking time from the offense instead of press, and trying to get 3 and outs.

It's a philosophy, where we don't believe Coach Morris is using, what we see is a bend don't break, prevent defense.
Nothing of that type shows any attempt to utilize the Pass Rush talent of AD or the Man Coverage skills of Ramsey.

It could be personnel issues.
The thing is, the cushion and anti-pass rush. Cannot argue whether it's bad or not when the defensive play call nullifies it most of the time.
I'm glad we are not getting blown out, but a L is a L and a W is a W.

We may not agree, but those of of are not happy with the 10 yard cushions and easy first downs. Especially when we are behind.
I'm so okay with this style when we are ahead. But when it's 0 - 0 or the Rams are behind, that play style works against the Rams O.
4th in the league in defensive points allowed while sporting a 3-3 record is a clear indication of where the team weakness is. And it sure as heck isn’t the defense.
Not only is the offense scoring at a near Fisher rate, they have also handed the opponent nearly 5 points a game.
They’ve held opponent to 13 Ppg in the last 5 and have only 3 wins to show for it

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not the fancy stats - its the offensive play is so bad - we need the defense to be even better than it is -
Yeah, that’s not how it works.
Anyone who coaches with that philosophy won’t be in league long

Tano

Legend
I disagree

I'm sorry but you will never convince me that playing 7 to 10 yards back on EVERY play is a smart way to play especially against teams that have good to great offenses. The only reason we have only given up 16 points a game is that we are playing teams with bottom 10 - 15 offenses so far.

Atlanta - not a good offense
Carolina - terrible offense
Arizona - not a good offense and we know how to keep Murray down
SF - not a good offense
Dallas - Rush is not a good QB

The one time we played a team with a good offense - we got destroyed on defense and we even had some turnovers in that game. And we did not play an aggressive defense whatsoever.

All I am asking is that they change from soft to aggressive and sometimes change up right before the play to confuse the QB.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Another thing that people are in denial about when it comes to personnel… the only Rams other than Donald with more than one sack are Ramsey & Wagner.
The Rams DO NOT have enough of a pass rush.
Sacks being down because of quick throws is an absolutely reasonable take.
Sacks being down THIS MUCH is absolutely not only a result of that. They ain’t getting to the QB… because they only have one pass rusher in that front four right now.

Tano

Legend
Okay I was wrong on this specific play. They were soft on this particular play but throughout that game they played tight and then they played soft.

Murray never knew what defense they would be in before the snap. And he isn't the fastest reader of defenses.

Whereas now everybody and their mother knows the CBs are going to be 7 - 10 yards off and can make reads based on that information. Crapola knew that he could throw the ball away in the direction that he threw it because he knew no Ram was going to be within 7 yards of that throw.
I decided to rewatch the Cardinal - Ram playoff game and I still do not know how this can be a bullshit response. I have to respond because calling it a bullshit response is extremely insulting.

Murray could not do anything against us that game until we were up 28-0 and then we play entirely soft zone late in the third quarter and they went right down the field and scored a TD. Otherwise Murray was clueless in that game. He never knew if we were going to play tight or soft and he made all kinds of mistakes because of it.

On the Donald play, look at how every Ram other than the rushers are 10 yards back when Donald gets to him. Crapola had an easy dump off to a wide open player if Donald didn't disrupt that play as fast as he did. If we played a somewhat tighter defense, Donald easily gets to Crapola because Crapola would have had to hold onto the ball. And the point I am making from this is that if Donald can't get to a QB when he has a free path to a QB, then how are our DL supposed to get to the QB when blocked for a second if the QB can do a dump off to wide open receivers for 5 yard to 10 yard gains . Sacks will be rare because of it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree

I'm sorry but you will never convince me that playing 7 to 10 yards back on EVERY play is a smart way to play especially against teams that have good to great offenses. The only reason we have only given up 16 points a game is that we are playing teams with bottom 10 - 15 offenses so far.

Atlanta - not a good offense
Carolina - terrible offense
Arizona - not a good offense and we know how to keep Murray down
SF - not a good offense
Dallas - Rush is not a good QB

The one time we played a team with a good offense - we got destroyed on defense and we even had some turnovers in that game. And we did not play an aggressive defense whatsoever.

All I am asking is that they change from soft to aggressive and sometimes change up right before the play to confuse the QB.
And each team is scoring significantly more than 13 ppg, yet the Rams held the grouping all below their avg
Atlanta, 23.3 avg, against Rams 17- Against 49ers "vaunted D" they scored 21
Cards, 22.3 avg, against Rams 12
49ers, 20.7 avg, against Rams 17
Cowboys, 19.1 avg, against Rams 16
Panthers, 17.7 avg, against Rams 3 Against 49ers "vaunted D" they scored 15
So go ahead and credit other teams for having better D, even though against common opponents the Rams have fared better.
The hypocrisy is mind numbing

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are scoring 17.3 ppg, which is 4th WORST in the league
The Rams D is holding opps to 16 ppg, which is 4th BEST in the league
And yet we have thread after thread complaining about defense?
Good grief

Tano

Legend
The Rams are scoring 17.3 ppg, which is 4th WORST in the league
The Rams D is holding opps to 16 ppg, which is 4th BEST in the league
And yet we have thread after thread complaining about defense?
Good grief
There is a huge difference between complaining about a defense and stating they could be even better.

I am just saying they could be even better than they have been.

So GOOD GRIEF back at ya

Tano

Legend
And I have rewatched the games the playoff games.

They played the type of aggressive defense that I believe they should be playing this year.

Everyone says they don't have the personnel to play that defense due to injuries.

Well they didn't have any injuries in the Buffalo game. What is the excuse for that game not playing an aggressive defense.

They gave Allen the 5 to 7 yard plays all game that game and he tore us apart.

And yes I am complaining about the defense for that game only.

Tano

Legend
Oh and the Carolina game was the one game where they actually played an aggressive defense after the first two series and I loved it.

I want them to do the same exact thing for the 49er game that they did in the 3rd series on against Carolina.

I think we have a huge chance to win this game especially with Deebo out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Even a retired TE is calling for Morris to do something different. Shits getting old.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Thus far this season I have said the jury is out but today was the line, I'd like to see Morris gone. Maybe someone is stupid enough to pry him away and we get a compensatory pick for him. The offense was just as bad vs. the 49ers today, as per usual, but I've seen enough of Morris know to know he isn't the answer.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This defense fucking blows.

Force a fucking 3 and out now and then.

Fuck.