Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol.

Thank you for hammering home the fact that you can’t factor in the downside.

In your mind, there are only rewards for being aggressive… with no real appreciation for the downside.

I love aggressive play… I love winning more.

The Rams aren’t giving up many points on D. I don’t care if it doesn’t look great.

Being tough is much more important to me than looking tough.
Funny how people only associate "aggressive" with results like sacks and INT. To me, I see Morris playing the patience game. Not panicking and forcing pass rush, but being aggressive in the sense he's daring them to take the short stuff because he knows they'll ultimately stop it

Tano

Legend
Funny how people only associate "aggressive" with results like sacks and INT. To me, I see Morris playing the patience game. Not panicking and forcing pass rush, but being aggressive in the sense he's daring them to take the short stuff because he knows they'll ultimately stop it
If you read what I said - I have already stated that the Rams have a very good defense but I am a greedy shit who also wants interceptions and sacks

And I think the only way we can get interceptions and sacks is being aggressive from time to time. Pick your poison and go for it once in awhile especially on 3rd and long. And we needed defensive turnovers against Dallas and SF because our offense was playing like shit.

And I have already stated that I think with that aggressiveness with the likes of Crapola and Rush that we could have gotten away with that. I really doubt either QB could have beaten us deep. Playing soft against Murray was okay because Murray is a crappy one read and go QB.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
The offense needs more opportunities and time of possession.
Not happening all the time, but seeing defenders play off on 3rd down allowing a first down over and over, not even trying to stop the drive until the endzone, taking time away from the offense that needs it.

A good OC can eat this defense alive, it's predictable and allows easy first downs.
It also does pretty well keeping the scoring down. I'll concur.

It doesn't "feel" right, get the defense tired and they start making mistakes, missing tackles, not fast enough getting there cause they are tire. Just works in many of our opponents style of offense they like.

Our defense could be more aggressive, blitz and play press / man more. Just my two cents. Do more. Not more of the same.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A good OC can eat this defense alive, it's predictable and allows easy first downs.
And yet, following the opening day disaster, no team has scored more than 17 points on this "predictable" defense. 13 ppg given up in last 5 games.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And yet, following the opening day disaster, no team has scored more than 17 points on this "predictable" defense. 13 ppg given up in last 5 games.
32th, 29th, 27th, 13th and 15th That is the offensive rankings of the teams we have played since the Bills. Hardly worth bosting about. Against those teams they have how many sacks. Of course the Rams are 26th, so the O isn't helping, but don't give me the D is playing great cause they are going to be part of the problem if they keep letting even mediocre teams hold on to the ball for long drives. Even if they don't score TDs. It wares out the D. It gives the other team plays to get there shit together. Bend but don't break for a D sucks balls

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
32th, 29th, 27th, 13th and 15th That is the offensive rankings of the teams we have played since the Bills. Hardly worth bosting about. Against those teams they have how many sacks. Of course the Rams are 26th, so the O isn't helping, but don't give me the D is playing great cause they are going to be part of the problem if they keep letting even mediocre teams hold on to the ball for long drives. Even if they don't score TDs. It wares out the D. It gives the other team plays to get there shit together. Bend but don't break for a D sucks balls
Rams have won the time of possession battle 4 out of 6 times this season... including the last three weeks in a row.

Letting other teams score more points sucks balls more than bending.
Not scoring points sucks balls.

Those points aside? Yeah.. the Rams haven't played any great offense since the Bills.... and have done a really solid job against those teams, despite a shit-ton of injuries in the defensive backfield.. and no real edge rush threat.

Is it a great D? Absolutely not. Is it a good D? I'd say it's on the borderline between decent and good... and that personnel, not scheme, is what's holding it back.

Similar to last year about this time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
13 ppg
The Falcons put 21 on the 49ers
The Cards just scored 42 in a game
The Panthers put 21 on the Bucs
Its 13 ppg and finding a way to minimize that is just silly and seems kind of
Archie Smith No GIF by Cam Smith

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Rams have won the time of possession battle 4 out of 6 times this season... including the last three weeks in a row.

Letting other teams score more points sucks balls more than bending.
Not scoring points sucks balls.

Those points aside? Yeah.. the Rams haven't played any great offense since the Bills.... and have done a really solid job against those teams, despite a shit-ton of injuries in the defensive backfield.. and no real edge rush threat.

Is it a great D? Absolutely not. Is it a good D? I'd say it's on the borderline between decent and good... and that personnel, not scheme, is what's holding it back.

Similar to last year about this time.
I think you nailed the critique on the D. With the starters in it will be better. I just don't think it makes a difference who is playing as far as what the scheme is. It is his default. Against the QBs they are going to be coming up against and of course the whiners, I think it plays into their hands.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think you nailed the critique on the D. With the starters in it will be better. I just don't think it makes a difference who is playing as far as what the scheme is. It is his default. Against the QBs they are going to be coming up against and of course the whiners, I think it plays into their hands.
It's not his "default".

Wanna know what his "default" looks like? Watch the playoffs and Super Bowl.

He wants to rush four and be able to play corners tighter.. and he likes to be able to blitz once-in-a-while too.

What he doesn't want to do is put young, inexperienced corners in positions to fail... and put his defense in position to give up long scores over the top.

On top of that.. McVay doesn't want that.. especially right now when they can't score points.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

We don't need INTs and sacks if we force them to punt 7 times in a game. The problem is that we play patient and sometimes the whiners end up with 18 play drives eating 9 minutes off the clock and wind up scoring a TD anyway. That's what is called a soul sucking drive.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't need INTs and sacks if we force them to punt 7 times in a game. The problem is that we play patient and sometimes the whiners end up with 18 play drives eating 9 minutes off the clock and wind up scoring a TD anyway. That's what is called a soul sucking drive.
And when did that happen? Longest drive last game was 9 plays, took 4.5 minutes and resulted in a FG. The Rams had 4 separate drives that ate up more clock than that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Didn’t happen last time. Rams won TOP significantly.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
@Tano

I am just going to respond once here to all the comments I got back.

One - San Francisco plays the type of defense that I want the Rams to play. They had 8 in the box a lot of the game especially on 3rd and short. Quite frequently we play 5 yards off on 3rd and short.
Two - a great defense is not one that is bottom 10 in sacks pressures and interceptions. 16 points a game is a very good defense though. I will admit this defense is definitely missing Von.
Three - I trust Kendrick with some help from a safety for over the top plays. Ramsey can be on an island for most of the game.
Four - I've always said - a mixture of soft and man to man with some changing up right before the play from time to time
Five - I think Gaines and Robinson are better run stoppers than SF DL so they can definitely play on first and possibly second down instead of a couple SF DL players. Plus it would allow the DL to be fresh throughout the game. Donald and Bosa would definitely be in the majority of the time. Wagner and Jones are comparable to SF Linebackers not much of a drop there if any. Floyd is better than Ebukam. I like Scott instead of one of the two SF safeties. I like Kendrick as a slot CB. And I am still intrigued how well Rochelle could play in more of a man to man defense. He looked good in preseason. The only real weakness I see when comparing our players to SF players is our ROLB and maybe our second safety isn't that good. I thought Fuller or Burgess was going to be really good.
There’s an argument that the Rams are better at DT, but, right now… Floyd would be the 5th best edge on the 9ers.

Warner is a superstar in his prime. Wagner is very, very good. There is a gap between the two.
Jones & Greenlaw are comparable.

Scott isn’t comparable to Jimmy Ward… Hufanga is on a different planet than Rapp.

Ramsey is obviously better than Charvarious Ward.

Not sure how hopes and dreams for Rochell matter. He ain’t on the field.

The edge difference is PROFOUND.. not only are Bosa & Ebukam much, much better than the Rams starters.. with Floyd playing hurt.. their backups are better than the Rams starters… and they rotate them.. staying fresh.

There are huge, huge differences at edge and safety…. And Warner is on a different level in the pass game than Wagner. The Rams spammed Seattle with the same concepts over the middle… and Warner just doesn’t allow that.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
@Tano

There’s an argument that the Rams are better at DT, but, right now… Floyd would be the 5th best edge on the 9ers.

Warner is a superstar in his prime. Wagner is very, very good. There is a gap between the two.

Scott isn’t comparable to Jimmy Ward… Hufanga is on a different planet than Rapp.

The edge difference is PROFOUND.. not only are Bosa & Ebukam much, much better than the Rams starters.. with Floyd playing hurt.. their backups are better than the Rams starters… and they rotate them.. staying fresh.

There are huge, huge differences at edge and safety…. And Warner is on a different level in the pass game than Wagner. The Rams spammed Seattle with the same concepts over the middle… and Warner just doesn’t allow that.
Well.... too bad we don't have this Ebukam guy..... :weary: :woozy2:

Tano

Legend
@Tano

Scott is better than Hufanga - Play Ward next to him

Floyd is better than Ebukam - I saw him play with the Rams - Floyd is much better at contain and covering receivers but maybe not better than rushing the passer while he is injured

And I disagree that there is a big drop off between Warner and Wagner - definitely a drop off but you combine Wagner and Jones against Warner and Greenlaw - I would say there is a small drop off between the two

Where the 49ers have a huge edge is the ROLB but I think Donald and Ramsey have a huge edge at their respective positions.

Again I do not see much difference between the 49er defense and the Ram defense personnel wise.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one as well

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Scott is better than Hufanga - Play Ward next to him

Floyd is better than Ebukam - I saw him play with the Rams - Floyd is much better at contain and covering receivers but maybe not better than rushing the passer while he is injured

And I disagree that there is a big drop off between Warner and Wagner - definitely a drop off but you combine Wagner and Jones against Warner and Greenlaw - I would say there is a small drop off between the two

Where the 49ers have a huge edge is the ROLB but I think Donald and Ramsey have a huge edge at their respective positions.

Again I do not see much difference between the 49er defense and the Ram defense personnel wise.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one as well
Scott plays deep.. Ward is his match.. and he’s not better than either. And I’m a big Scott fan. Hufanga is a fucking playmaker.. go look at what he’s doing.

I didn’t say Warner was a lot better… but he’s better.. especially in the pass game.

Greenlaw and Jones are a wash.. both good.. both the #2 ILBs.

Sorry… Floyd isn’t playing well…. Ebukam is and has 3 sacks to Floyd’s 0. More tackles and forced fumbles as well. Drake Jackson is producing and so is Omenihu… and they’re not playing next to Donald.

Just because you want something to be so, doesn’t make it such.

When Morris had comparable resources in the Front 4, that D kicked ass.

We have the evidence. We saw it happen.

Tano

Legend
Scott plays deep.. Ward is his match.. and he’s not better than either. And I’m a big Scott fan. Hufanga is a fucking playmaker.. go look at what he’s doing.

I didn’t say Warner was a lot better… but he’s better.. especially in the pass game.

Greenlaw and Jones are a wash.. both good.. both the #2 ILBs.

Sorry… Floyd isn’t playing well…. Ebukam is and has 3 sacks to Floyd’s 0. More tackles and forced fumbles as well. Drake Jackson is producing and so is Omenihu… and they’re not playing next to Donald.

Just because you want something to be so, doesn’t make it such.

When Morris had comparable resources in the Front 4, that D kicked ass.

We have the evidence. We saw it happen.
Ebukam is weak against the run. I like Floyd better even if his sack totals are bad.

And Scott is a fucking playmaker too. I think he could play the strong safety as well as free safety. He could start instead of Hufanga. Granted it would be very close.

That still says 7 to 8 Rams are either close to SFs defensive personnel or better than SF personnel.

Close enough for me to try SFs defensive scheme of being aggressive man to man instead of playing 7 to 10 yards back on EVERY play.

And I want to stress EVERY play. I am saying they are good enough to go from Man to Man to Soft back to Man to Man and not have the huge hiccups that you believe would occur.

Last edited: