Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And yet the Rams had significantly more TOP than the 49ers.
Like I said, it isn't about just one game. It is about a record of 1 and 7 and the style of D. I don't like it that's all. We all lament how Jimmy G looks so good against us after looking bad in other games. We all know it is because we give him the quick passes he thrives on and can get rid of before our pass rush can get their. We also saw how inept he was the week before when under pressure and at the end of the NFCC. Yet now you want to defend what doesn't work over a very large sample size and argue TOP in one game that saw Debo make yet another long TD from a short pass, defended as he is always defended.
Weird how the Rams had so many more plays and dominated time of possession.

I guess the 9ers were playing soft, prevent D?
In the post your are replying to, am giving an example of Morris using the same tactics even with Miller. I have continually stated he will use it no matter what his personnel is, in answer to your excuse, that it is because of the injuries. As for answering your above. See above.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Like I said, it isn't about just one game. It is about a record of 1 and 7 and the style of D. I don't like it that's all. We all lament how Jimmy G looks so good against us after looking bad in other games. We all know it is because we give him the quick passes he thrives on and can get rid of before our pass rush can get their. We also saw how inept he was the week before when under pressure and at the end of the NFCC. Yet now you want to defend what doesn't work over a very large sample size and argue TOP in one game that saw Debo make yet another long TD from a short pass, defended as he is always defended.

In the post your are replying to, am giving an example of Morris using the same tactics even with Miller. I have continually stated he will use it no matter what his personnel is, in answer to your excuse, that it is because of the injuries. As for answering your above. See above.

Because the team wasn't "only" playing soft with corners in that game. And because the worst drive had nothing to do with scheme that I could see and you didn't identify any scheme issue.

And... sure it matters.. the opponent also matters.. the fact that the Rams lost both games to the 9ers under Staley matters too.

So, feel free to break down the reasons Staley scheme is wrong because it got torched by a 3rd string QB.

Tano

Legend
I actually liked Morris soft zone scheme against the Cowboys because Rush is not the type of QB to take advantage of it.

The defense did a very good job.

There were just two plays that I wish Morris would have dialed up the pressure and play man.

3rd and 15 and 3rd and 12 in the second half.

Both plays were just asking for a blitz to maybe help the Rams get the ball or keep the Cowboys from kicking a shorter FG

One - they got a first down on a great catch from the receiver (it happens but Rush had too much time to get it off).

Two - the Cowboys gained 11 yards to be able to kick a 40 yard FG

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Feels like he's slowly getting back to the defense we saw to end the season. He's done excellent last few weeks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a good performance but lets be honest here. It should have been this good. One mean face mask by CMC on Jones and it was even better but we'll take the performance.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This is the kind of performance that has to happen against a team in as bad shape as Carolina.

I can't go out of my way praising them, because the competition was so bad.. but.. that being said... They DID THEIR JOB.

Again.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know if anyone listened to Jordan's Podcast where she talked about Morris. Basically said he would love to play with less than a 10 Yard cushion, but they aren't getting pressure with 4, so they are having to blitz a LOT. Said if we could get more pressure with 4, he wouldn't have to protect the back end so much with the big cushions. Makes a lot of sense with what we saw last year. Once Von got integrated into the Defense, we started seeing much smaller cushions. Makes me think we will make a move for a pass rusher.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is the link from the Trades and rumors thread

Can't embed it, but it is on Page 42 of the 'Trade Deadline Rumors and Trades' Thread

It is about an hour long, but an excellent listen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't know if anyone listened to Jordan's Podcast where she talked about Morris. Basically said he would love to play with less than a 10 Yard cushion, but they aren't getting pressure with 4, so they are having to blitz a LOT. Said if we could get more pressure with 4, he wouldn't have to protect the back end so much with the big cushions. Makes a lot of sense with what we saw last year. Once Von got integrated into the Defense, we started seeing much smaller cushions. Makes me think we will make a move for a pass rusher.
Which four? The 4 main DL'ers are Donald/ Robinson/ Copeland/ Gaines in the 3 player DL. Three of the 4 will be FA's after this season.

It would also points fingers at issues also with ER's Floyd/ Lewis/ Hollins. Lewis has not turned out like it was planned when he was drafted 3 yrs ago.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
i put it up in the other thread yesterday dont know if it worked but it echoes a lot of ehat so.e of us are saying to a tee. Its a great listen

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Which four? The 4 main DL'ers are Donald/ Robinson/ Copeland/ Gaines in the 3 player DL. Three of the 4 will be FA's after this season.

It would also points fingers at issues also with ER's Floyd/ Lewis/ Hollins. Lewis has not turned out like it was planned when he was drafted 3 yrs ago.
Four he’s referring to is typically Floyd, Gaines, Donald & Lewis.

The group they used with Von in for Lewis.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think he was talking in general terms. My take was he was basically saying that he can't get pressure rushing only 4 (regardless of who they are on any individual play). This is forcing him to blitz a lot, which is forcing his hand in the soft zones/big cushions.

Tano

Legend
I think he was talking in general terms. My take was he was basically saying that he can't get pressure rushing only 4 (regardless of who they are on any individual play). This is forcing him to blitz a lot, which is forcing his hand in the soft zones/big cushions.
He is still too timid.

I would like a balance of soft zones vs aggressive man to man

Change it up on every play.

Make them think man and go to soft zone and vice versa.

Don't let the QB get comfortable throwing quick 5 to 7 yard outs.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
AD says they cant get their cause the QBs are getting the ball out to fast. Morris says he can't have his DBs play close to the line because the QBs have to much time.
I say Morris is full of shit.
QBs are looking for a quick outlet when you blitz. Thats why most other teams DBs play close to the line of scrimage when their team blitzes.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When a good corner is playing off coverage it's surprising how much distance can be covered by getting a good jump. As in recognizing the ball is coming to your assignment and attacking instead of sitting back. This is why they need guys like Kendrick and Durant out there as corners. They are both aggressive and aware of the ball. In the last game vs SF we saw Kendrick go after that pass to Deebo and miss but I'm fine with his contribution on that play. The aggression is there and when it's done right even if the catch is made a good stop can limit the catch to a couple yards and a win for the defense.

Also re: your defensive approach a lot goes into it to include your offense. Right now our offense can't do shit right. So defense cannot afford to give up the big play. If and when they get the OL playing better we should see Stafford settle in and then more risk can be introduced with the defense. And the risk we will see is more blitzes and stunts and pre-snap zone-blitz type threats with the interior gaps.

And this is not to say I think Morris calls everything perfect. I think he is mediocre as a game caller. But he doesn't have ideal pieces back there either. He's down one safety and two of the corners who can help us are rooks who have to round out their game at this level. Durant for example needs to work on his tackling so he isn't a liability vs the run. Kendrick needs to do a better job positioning when he's off because he has little room for error with his mediocre athleticism. And even Hill, who I am ecstatic to see return, is hit and miss as hell back there in coverage.

TexasRam

Legend
When a good corner is playing off coverage it's surprising how much distance can be covered by getting a good jump. As in recognizing the ball is coming to your assignment and attacking instead of sitting back. This is why they need guys like Kendrick and Durant out there as corners. They are both aggressive and aware of the ball. In the last game vs SF we saw Kendrick go after that pass to Deebo and miss but I'm fine with his contribution on that play. The aggression is there and when it's done right even if the catch is made a good stop can limit the catch to a couple yards and a win for the defense.

Also re: your defensive approach a lot goes into it to include your offense. Right now our offense can't do shit right. So defense cannot afford to give up the big play. If and when they get the OL playing better we should see Stafford settle in and then more risk can be introduced with the defense. And the risk we will see is more blitzes and stunts and pre-snap zone-blitz type threats with the interior gaps.

And this is not to say I think Morris calls everything perfect. I think he is mediocre as a game caller. But he doesn't have ideal pieces back there either. He's down one safety and two of the corners who can help us are rooks who have to round out their game at this level. Durant for example needs to work on his tackling so he isn't a liability vs the run. Kendrick needs to do a better job positioning when he's off because he has little room for error with his mediocre athleticism. And even Hill, who I am ecstatic to see return, is hit and miss as hell back there in coverage.
Agreed on Morris being a mediocre play caller. His ultra safe approach can work vs clearly inferior offenses but it’s too predictable and makes things easy on QBs which is the opposite of what a defense does. The lack of turnovers is a direct result.

Getting the Cb’s and LBers involved in the pass rush and pressing the WRs more often is what it needs. He does a little of this but not enough to create turnovers via scheme or make a QB hurried and uncomfortable.

Reminds me of a poker player that never bluffs or takes calculated risks. Eventually he’s easily beaten because reading his default strategy is transparent. That is half the battle for the opponent, and in our case the play caller/opponent QB.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just laughing at people relitigating Morris…

I think @Merlin has a pretty solid take on him.

Others? Not so much.