Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The story of a Rams fan?
View attachment 56832

Whose
Mr. Shaun Jolly? Riddle me that one Batman. WTF? Hopefully that is just memory loss.

If your questioning Raheem Morris now you sure have questioned him in the past. Less than a year ago The HATERS we’re out in FULL FORCE.
Won’t get political,but will use the word agenda which works both ways.

As a Rams Fan who has always supported Raheem Morris & think it was a blessing The Rams we’re able to get him as a DC. Even that much more so of getting him back for another season.
I’ve said from the start that he is The Rams Dc until he gets another HC job.

Tano

Legend
Whose
Mr. Shaun Jolly? Riddle me that one Batman. WTF? Hopefully that is just memory loss.

If your questioning Raheem Morris now you sure have questioned him in the past. Less than a year ago The HATERS we’re out in FULL FORCE.

As a Rams Fan who has always supported Raheem Morris & think it was a blessing The Rams we’re able to get him as a DC. Even that much more so of getting him back for another season.
And I have never said I hate Raheem Morris

I just want the Rams to play a much more aggressive defense because I believe we can be even better that what we have shown and also help out the offense with a better defense.

Other than his soft zones, I really like what Raheem does with his personnel in all other phases (run game, inside the 20, even when he plays aggressive he does a good job).

Just because you hate one aspect of his defense, does not make you a hater.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Whose

Um…what???

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Got it you know better than McVay and Morris.
Probably do. Play calling and design is just statistics and math.

Coaching involves way more than that, need people skills, delegation.
Both coaches have show poor skills in adjusting game plan, and I believe they there is an ego issue with both.

Still respect both coaches, just wish they wouldn't get in their own way sometimes.
I want to see them play tight in defense, see what Donald and Ramsey can do in those situations.

Just try.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i No its not what i am saying. Im saying they are different problems. But every time i want to talk about the d problem that i see, some one continues to argue " whatabout the offense. The D wasnt the problem." Well They were both the problem. You happy. The O was really bad. You are all correct. Now about the problem the title of this thread is about.
The D wasnt the problem in game, they did their job. They did enough to win. They've been scoring 24-34 on the Rams in each reg season game over the past few years, so holding them to 17 is job complete

Ellard80

Legend
I wouldn't know, haven't seen it this year. Hasn't even tried it.
I mean Ramsey was upset in the Bills game about it, but they stuck with it because it was tied and we got turnovers in the first half.

You cannot play scared and hope on a mistake by the offense, and no mistake on defense.
Against the 49ers, the Rams defense made mistakes.

Rams are 2-2, almost let the Falcons back in it, got destroyed by the Bills, failed against the 49ers.

The play calling scheme isn't working. Try something different in the first quarter, if it doesn't work go back to the crap that you like that doesn't work either.

Yes we have personnel problems, but the dink and dunk prevent defense is designed for when you are ahead. Not tied or behind.
If the offense is failing then the defense should try and do something to give the offense a chance. Not allow the opposing team to chew up more clock.
its not playing scared - its called strategy. - trying to be smart and work with what you got.

You want 3rd string DBS playing press man coverage?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wouldn't know, haven't seen it this year. Hasn't even tried it.
I mean Ramsey was upset in the Bills game about it, but they stuck with it because it was tied and we got turnovers in the first half.

You cannot play scared and hope on a mistake by the offense, and no mistake on defense.
Against the 49ers, the Rams defense made mistakes.

Rams are 2-2, almost let the Falcons back in it, got destroyed by the Bills, failed against the 49ers.

The play calling scheme isn't working. Try something different in the first quarter, if it doesn't work go back to the crap that you like that doesn't work either.

Yes we have personnel problems, but the dink and dunk prevent defense is designed for when you are ahead. Not tied or behind.
If the offense is failing then the defense should try and do something to give the offense a chance. Not allow the opposing team to chew up more clock.
Ramsey was upset about it?

Can you direct me to the quote?

I seem to remember Ramsey getting torched deep in that game?

The whole concept of “scared” is one I think is key here.

Guys seem to think if you aren’t pressing.. you’re scared.

And that informs the rest of their view on it.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
its not playing scared - its called strategy. - trying to be smart and work with what you got.

It's not playing aggressive, it's passive. Not playing smart at all. Playing on hope that the opposing offense makes a mistake.

It has been said this scheme is designed to keep everything in front so you don't allow the big play.
Capitalizing on mistakes made by the offense.

1st Half vs. Bills - Scheme Worked.
2nd Half vs. Bills - Scheme Failed.

1st Half vs Falcons - Scheme Worked.
2nd Half vs Falcons - Scheme Failed

Game vs Cardinals - Scheme Worked

1st Quarter vs 49ers - Scheme Worked
2nd Quarter vs 49ers - Scheme Failed
4th Quarter vs 49ers - Scheme Worked

So overall it's barely doing enough. Batting 50/50

I just want them to try something different.
Just one quarter, please. If aggressive really sucks because of personal then go back to passive, prevent defense.
But try...

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
The off coverage aside I think the rush is the main issue here. Very little edge ability so far. This is on Morris to scheme up some pressure. Wagner comes to mind along with Rapp. Send them.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Ramsey was upset about it?

Can you direct me to the quote?

I seem to remember Ramsey getting torched deep in that game?

The whole concept of “scared” is one I think is key here.

Guys seem to think if you aren’t pressing.. you’re scared.

And that informs the rest of their view on it.
"They were really attacking our little zones, like our soft spots in our zones," Ramsey said. "Obviously we've gotta watch the film, but I'm sure we all would've liked to play man a little bit more. I feel like we kind of had a mentality like, 'bend, don't break' a lot, because they were driving the ball but they weren't scoring, like, we were getting turnovers, interceptions, whatever it was."

He mentioned that in the half time locker room they were going to keep playing the same way instead of changing scheme because of
the turnovers. DC thought it was working and I interpret what he said that he believed it wasn't.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake

You want 3rd string DBS playing press man coverage?

So what's the excuse for this style D for the last several seasons? I mean this isn't new.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
The off coverage aside I think the rush is the main issue here. Very little edge ability so far. This is on Morris to scheme up some pressure. Wagner comes to mind along with Rapp. Send them.

My point is why do you say we aren't getting pressure when the reason is the scheme allows the opposing QB to get rid of the ball so fast you cannot create pressure.

Look at the play where Aaron Donald was unblocked. There was no time to allow him to find a target. Put a blocker on AD and he probably completes a pass because he only needs 2.5 seconds.

The DB cushion eliminates the Rams Pass Rush. Exception is when someone is unblocked.

Tano

Legend
Look at the play where Aaron Donald was unblocked. There was no time to allow him to find a target. Put a blocker on AD and he probably completes a pass because he only needs 2.5 seconds.
I said the same exact thing

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What is the Strengths of the Rams Defense?

Best DT to ever play the game?
Yet you Have you DBs play off to negate the pass rush he provides.

You have on of the best CBs to play to game but you have him playing zone?
Have him play the way he is good at it.

Have Donald do his thing, play man to man, make those WR have to break press coverage.
You have a MLB that can stuff the run, if if Donald leaves a hole, he fills it.
The rest of the line needs to play contain, prevent the QB from escaping.
Cover 2 to prevent the big play.
This makes it hard on the CB opposite Ramsey and the LBs in the middle but it should cause more opportunities for turnovers, 3 and outs, not getting the defense tired, and plays to the strengths of the defense.

What makes a great coach? Able to adapt to your personnel.
Bad coach? Making the personnel play your the coaches way regardless of talent.

We got bad coaches right now on both sides of the ball.

I really think this is the blunt truth....

... and I also think that it's true that McVay and Morris are both obviously good enough to win it all

sometimes i think they are making it way too difficult and yet have been able to get by on the talent and instincts of their best players just finding a way to overcome.

Tano

Legend
... and I also think that it's true that McVay and Morris are both obviously good enough to win it all
This

I can't stress enough that although I disagree with playing the soft zone stuff "almost the entire" game, I do believe in Morris and McVay to get it done in the long run.

Ellard80

Legend
So what's the excuse for this style D for the last several seasons? I mean this isn't new.
Who said it was new? Not me - do you really think our defense has been "Bad" all these years.

It's not an "Excuse" its called strategy - when we turned to more of a zone based approach our scoring defense has been overall better than in the Phillips years where we played man to man.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
It's not playing aggressive, it's passive. Not playing smart at all. Playing on hope that the opposing offense makes a mistake.

It has been said this scheme is designed to keep everything in front so you don't allow the big play.
Capitalizing on mistakes made by the offense.

1st Half vs. Bills - Scheme Worked.
2nd Half vs. Bills - Scheme Failed.

1st Half vs Falcons - Scheme Worked.
2nd Half vs Falcons - Scheme Failed

Game vs Cardinals - Scheme Worked

1st Quarter vs 49ers - Scheme Worked
4th Quarter vs 49ers - Scheme Worked

So overall it's barely doing enough. Batting 50/50

I just want them to try something different.
Just one quarter, please. If aggressive really sucks because of personal then go back to passive, prevent defense.
But try...
2017 - 2019 - phillips philosophy -much more of a man to man/press man to man approach: average of 16th in scoring defense over a 3 year period
2020-2021 - since we went with a more zone based defensive approach - average of 8th in scoring defense over that 2 year period.

Tano

Legend
2017 - 2019 - phillips philosophy -much more of a man to man/press man to man approach: average of 16th in scoring defense over a 3 year period
2020-2021 - since we went with a more zone based defensive approach - average of 8th in scoring defense over that 2 year period.
1) Phillips didn't have all the personnel to run his defense the way he wanted to run his defense when they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. His 2015 defense had his personnel and maybe wasn't one of the statistical best but imho was one of the top defenses of all time.

2) I hate to say but Phillips was getting old and not quite up to snuff because of it. However, he was still better than a lot of DCs during that time period and helped get us to the Super Bowl in 2018.

Waiting for Loyal to say - old man bias (or something to that effect)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And I have never said I hate Raheem Morris

I just want the Rams to play a much more aggressive defense because I believe we can be even better that what we have shown and also help out the offense with a better defense.

Other than his soft zones, I really like what Raheem does with his personnel in all other phases (run game, inside the 20, even when he plays aggressive he does a good job).

Just because you hate one aspect of his defense, does not make you a hater.

Not saying that at all. Excellent post.

I get what your saying.I saw a 3rd & 9 where Jalen RAMsey was 10 yards off.I thought the same thing,but RAMsey needed to come up on the ball.Sometimes playing soft gives the DB(CB) a chance to see ball,player, & QB.
I get the concepts as well,but IMO it’s always about down & distance, as well as mixing it up & not being to vanilla.