Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The offence has an injury problem. It can hopefully compensate or get healthier and learn from the mistakes.

The D has a systemic problem. The D phylosphy of bend dont break. Wait for them to make a mistake. Only allows the opponent to get in a grove, and tire our D. then our D makes the mistake. Also while our D is alowing long drives, per our style of D, our O is growing cold. That is the complaint. Not which side of the ball is better or worse.
Sorry..

The defense has an injury and personnel problem.

When Morris had the personnel.. he ran the system different. We've seen it and we know it. Want to ignore the playoffs and Super Bowl? Fine.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And that play should have been covered by Scott. The worst play by Scott I have seen him make.

He got completely turned around on that ball. I haven't seen Scott do that again.

The one time he did that and Scott got burned badly on that play. Terrible play and dumb luck that Deebo got the ball.

As it was, they were playing zone and Ramsey happened to be in the area and tried to make a play on the ball and was late.
What was Jalen doing?
Sorry.. neither of us knows what the call was.. but Ramsey's actions make me believe he fucked up and knew it. He was trying to jump another route and ignored his.

We see that play very differently.

And.. Rapp was supposed to tackle Deebo.. the same kind of excuse you're making for that play can be made for Monday.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
17 Points? TWO TDs + One FG + One missed FG that was makeable. You guys sound like Niner fans. You guys like to make it sound like the Niners are an offensive juggernaut. They aren't. THEY CAME INTO THE GAME AVERAGING 15.6 POINYD PER GAME!!! SO YOU CAN GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES NOW.

MORRIS DIDN'T STOP THEM HE ALLOWED THEM TO SCORE MORE THAN THEIR AVERAGE SCORE PER GAME. THAT'S GOOD??!! SORRY, NOT IMO. MORRIS' GOAL WAS TO LIMIT THEM TO 12 POINTS SO HE STILL FAILED. RESULTS COUNT IN THE NFL NOT STYLE OR INTENTIONS, THERE ARE NO POINTS FOR THOSE.
Your bold font all caps just inspires ignoring you.
For the record 17 points would be 29th in offense for the year. That’s correct only three teams aren’t scoring over 17 points a game right now. One point above that offense, which has played in two games with abnormal rainfall, and you’re losing your mind about that performance.

Meanwhile we scored nine points.

Nine

the offense gave up seven and scored nine they netted two points. But that seems to be ok and excused.

Six times this season in sixty four games a team has scored less. This weeks offense was beyond pathetic.

your crusade against Morris is as I’ll informed and pointless as your crusade against Havenstein was.

Tano

Legend
A sack or turnover in that scenario is almost useless if all we do is go 3 and out or kick another FG...which is mostly what we did...
Never know what a sack or turnover will do to a teams momentum.

Plus it keeps SF from converting 3rd downs on their TD drives.

I really believe we hold SF to under 10 points as well and it comes down to who makes the fewest turnovers that convert into points.

Plus if we get a turnover at that point, it might have been returned for a TD.

Tano

Legend
What was Jalen doing?
Sorry.. neither of us knows what the call was.. but Ramsey's actions make me believe he fucked up and knew it. He was trying to jump another route and ignored his.

We see that play very differently.

And.. Rapp was supposed to tackle Deebo.. the same kind of excuse you're making for that play can be made for Monday.
And Scott getting turned around on that pass makes me believe that he was the back end control and should have made up for Ramsey jumping the gun. It is a team game after all.

I do blame both Scott and Ramsey on that play for it being completed, but I blame Scott for it going 50 yards instead of just 15.

Just like I blame Rapp for not tackling Deebo when Kendrick jumped the gun. I don't blame Kendrick for jumping the gun because he knew he had help over the top from Rapp just like I do not completely blame Ramsey for jumping the gun because he should have had Scott helping out over the top.

I like aggressive plays - always have - always will - as long as they have over the top help which in both plays they did have over the top help.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And Scott getting turned around on that pass makes me believe that he was the back end control and should have made up for Ramsey jumping the gun. It is a team game after all.

I do blame both Scott and Ramsey on that play for it being completed, but I blame Scott for it going 50 yards instead of just 15.

Just like I blame Rapp for not tackling Deebo when Kendrick jumped the gun. I don't blame Kendrick for jumping the gun because he knew he had help over the top from Rapp just like I do not completely blame Ramsey for jumping the gun because he should have had Scott helping out over the top.

I like aggressive plays - always have - always will - as long as they have over the top help which in both plays they did have over the top help.
Which gets me back to the point.. execution was the issue.. not scheme.

17 points... and, again.. when Morris has the horses, he plays aggressive. I have the receipts on this.. we all do.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
If Raheem and the Defense had done their job and limited SF to 0 points we would've won that game...

Tano

Legend
Which gets me back to the point.. execution was the issue.. not scheme.

17 points... and, again.. when Morris has the horses, he plays aggressive. I have the receipts on this.. we all do.
OMG - full circle here

We were talking about Ramseys one bad play in Game 18 - we were not talking about execution or aggressiveness

Yes I agree that one TD was all about an execution breakdown but I do not think it would have occurred if we were playing tighter especially on Deebo with a second safety as a back end control (and I do not want Rapp as the back end control - he is not good at that).

I would want Scott or Fuller to be the back end control against Deebo or even Yeast or Burgess would be a better back end control than Rapp.

Rapp's strength is playing close to the line getting to ball carriers and and covering guys out of the back field or even TEs over the middle. I never want to see Rapp in the back end. He sucks at that.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They scored 9 points, but that's ok because of injuries? So the D, which has injury issues of it own, is a failure unless it holds San Fran to 8 or less? Wow
No its not what i am saying. Im saying they are different problems. But every time i want to talk about the d problem that i see, some one continues to argue " whatabout the offense. The D wasnt the problem." Well They were both the problem. You happy. The O was really bad. You are all correct. Now about the problem the title of this thread is about.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OMG - full circle here

We were talking about Ramseys one bad play in Game 18 - we were not talking about execution or aggressiveness

Yes I agree that one TD was all about an execution breakdown but I do not think it would have occurred if we were playing tighter especially on Deebo with a second safety as a back end control (and I do not want Rapp as the back end control - he is not good at that).

I would want Scott or Fuller to be the back end control against Deebo or even Yeast or Burgess would be a better back end control than Rapp.

Rapp's strength is playing close to the line getting to ball carriers and and covering guys out of the back field or even TEs over the middle. I never want to see Rapp in the back end. He sucks at that.
We are talking about execution.. because that's ultimately what determines whether any scheme works.

Morris had a call that would've stopped Deebo... two players were right there.. and Ramsey missed a tackle as well.

There was nothing wrong with the defensive play call on that.. but there sure as shit was a lot wrong with the execution.

I pointed out the Ramsey play in wk 18.. because.. guess what.. players don't execute some times.. all of them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No its not what i am saying. Im saying they are different problems. But every time i want to talk about the d problem that i see, some one continues to argue " whatabout the offense. The D wasnt the problem." Well They were both the problem. You happy. The O was really bad. You are all correct. Now about the problem the title of this thread is about.
But what some of us are saying is that.. the defense wasn't a problem in this game. It did enough to win.

"problem" is when your unit fails to keep you competitive.. that's not what happened.

You want better defense? Of course!! So do I!!

I just look at what Morris is dealing with, from a personnel perspective, and think he's doing just fine.

When he had the horses, how'd that look? Really fucking good.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Ramsey, Fuller and Scott. Morris played rookie Kendrick instead of veteran Rochell. Why? Because Kendrick is strictly a zone CB and that's all Morris plays. All the DBs where at least 10 yds off the LOS. When you play scared of giving up big plays you do. His frightened defense gave up two monstrous TDs!! I'd say Morris' scheme failed not succeeded. The secondary would have been at full strength except for the nickel DB who would have been Haley anyway. That is not an excuse.

Morris' scheme failed that's all there is to it.

Exactly. Defensive scheme was to prevent the big play. They allowed 2!! Double failure.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
And the secondary has what 1 maybe two starters? And people are losing their shit over giving up 17 points to a team averaging 16 points. I just don't get it.
And with the starters back there will the phylosophy change. On third and seven will they play 9 yards back. Yes they will. Will debo be given a gimmee short slant that he turns into a long TD because nobody plays him tight. Yes. Because it isnt about who is playing back there. It is about the philosophy. Not the same as the offense

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sorry..

The defense has an injury and personnel problem.

When Morris had the personnel.. he ran the system different. We've seen it and we know it. Want to ignore the playoffs and Super Bowl? Fine.
I think i mentioned the playoffs didnt i? Seems like usual you ignore my points and then change what i am saying.
So you are saying let the receivers do what the want. Hope the DBs make a tackle after they catch the ball.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And with the starters back there will the phylosophy change. On third and seven will they play 9 yards back. Yes they will. Will debo be given a gimmee short slant that he turns into a long TD because nobody plays him tight. Yes. Because it isnt about who is playing back there. It is about the philosophy. Not the same as the offense
And the offenses job is to score touch downs right? Man our offense was even worse than our defense but lets give them a pass. Not only did they not score but they gave up a touch down too! The level of failure is astounding! Maybe people will come to understand that our loss Monday night wasn't on the defense. They could have done more sure. But the offense failed on a level far beyond the defense. Also McVay says coverage like that is to limit big plays not eliminate them for the record.

Tano

Legend
We are talking about execution.. because that's ultimately what determines whether any scheme works.

Morris had a call that would've stopped Deebo... two players were right there.. and Ramsey missed a tackle as well.

There was nothing wrong with the defensive play call on that.. but there sure as shit was a lot wrong with the execution.

I pointed out the Ramsey play in wk 18.. because.. guess what.. players don't execute some times.. all of them.
Well we can argue back and forth whether Deebo should have been even allowed to catch the ball if their scheme was different.

You will say okay give him the 12 yard pass and I say he should be covered the entire way and not have Kendrick come from behind to break up the pass.

But that we will have to agree to disagree

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This fascination with fans telling McVay and Morris their scheme sucks and fails the team just fascinates me to no end.

Tano

Legend
And the offenses job is to score touch downs right? Man our offense was even worse than our defense but lets give them a pass. Not only did they not score but they gave up a touch down too! The level of failure is astounding! Maybe people will come to understand that our loss Monday night wasn't on the defense. They could have done more sure. But the offense failed on a level far beyond the defense. Also McVay says coverage like that is to limit big plays not eliminate them for the record.
I don't think anyone is giving the offense a pass. They had a shitty game.

But I have seen where in past years where the defense helps out our offense by playing an aggressive defense.

With their 10 yards out philosophy, no way is the defense going to be able to help out the offense. They were just going to keep the score under 20 which is fine when the offense is clicking but Monday night - it sure as heck wasn't clicking.

I believe we should have played a much more aggressive defense starting in the second quarter to help the offense out. That's just me though.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
But what some of us are saying is that.. the defense wasn't a problem in this game. It did enough to win.

"problem" is when your unit fails to keep you competitive.. that's not what happened.

You want better defense? Of course!! So do I!!

I just look at what Morris is dealing with, from a personnel perspective, and think he's doing just fine.

When he had the horses, how'd that look? Really fucking good.
Lets see how he plays it with his guys back. We will never have a miller again, so my guess is, it wont change.