Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Its not. But we really know why, dont we? The oline has 1 starter from last year. 1 decent replacement at LT, and the middle of the line is a shambles from injury. Going up against a really good front 7.

With or without our DB injuries we would be playing this same D.
The strength of this D is the front. Why do they let Debo off the line so easy so he can catch that short pass and make his long tackle breaking run for a TD every game? Play it closer, make jimmy g hold the ball and give time to get to him.
And the secondary has what 1 maybe two starters? And people are losing their shit over giving up 17 points to a team averaging 16 points. I just don't get it.

oldnotdead

Legend
17 Points? TWO TDs + One FG + One missed FG that was makeable. You guys sound like Niner fans. You guys like to make it sound like the Niners are an offensive juggernaut. They aren't. THEY CAME INTO THE GAME AVERAGING 15.6 POINYD PER GAME!!! SO YOU CAN GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES NOW.

MORRIS DIDN'T STOP THEM HE ALLOWED THEM TO SCORE MORE THAN THEIR AVERAGE SCORE PER GAME. THAT'S GOOD??!! SORRY, NOT IMO. MORRIS' GOAL WAS TO LIMIT THEM TO 12 POINTS SO HE STILL FAILED. RESULTS COUNT IN THE NFL NOT STYLE OR INTENTIONS, THERE ARE NO POINTS FOR THOSE.

Tano

Legend
And the secondary has what 1 maybe two starters? And people are losing their shit over giving up 17 points to a team averaging 16 points. I just don't get it.
It's not the 17 points. It's the always giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long that drive me bat crazy. If they play a little tighter then we would make them punt more often than we do.

Plus I don't like giving up an easy 5 to 8 yards on 1st down when we play soft on EVERY 1st down.

I want to make it tough on them from time to time and mix it up.

We did a much better job in the second half because Morris did not do his soft zone stuff on every play.

I want him to do that in the first half too.

oldnotdead

Legend

Ramsey, Fuller and Scott. Morris played rookie Kendrick instead of veteran Rochell. Why? Because Kendrick is strictly a zone CB and that's all Morris plays. All the DBs where at least 10 yds off the LOS. When you play scared of giving up big plays you do. His frightened defense gave up two monstrous TDs!! I'd say Morris' scheme failed not succeeded. The secondary would have been at full strength except for the nickel DB who would have been Haley anyway. That is not an excuse.

Morris' scheme failed that's all there is to it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well what about the last game of the season last year. The team was dominating. D was getting off the field playing aggresive.
Then in the waining moments of the 1st half our D sat back into prevent and SF moved the ball easily and scored. Giving them life and momentum. The rams continued to play back with the lead and same old results happened. This was with miller. From that point on the stopped doing that and SB.

Now back to what never works against the whiners. Thats it. Thats all. Not just this game. All 7 of them.

Tano

Legend
I do want to emphasize that I do not want Morris gone because he is able to scheme his players to play aggressive. That was shown in the playoffs.

But imho - I would like both McVay and Morris to decide enough of playing scared on defense - let's go after them and make other teams make mistakes just like the good defenses do to us.

Quite frequently - the 49ers played 10 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with 1 guy deep. We didn't do crap when they did that and I think we have the personnel to do that even with our number 5 and 6 CBs in the game.

Psycho_X

Legend
SO YOU CAN GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES NOW.

I don't disagree with everything you post but they are usually weighed down by conjecture and this comment is dripping with
Animated GIF

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ramsey, Fuller and Scott. Morris played rookie Kendrick instead of veteran Rochell. Why? Because Kendrick is strictly a zone CB and that's all Morris plays. All the DBs where at least 10 yds off the LOS. When you play scared of giving up big plays you do. His frightened defense gave up two monstrous TDs!! I'd say Morris' scheme failed not succeeded. The secondary would have been at full strength except for the nickel DB who would have been Haley anyway. That is not an excuse.

Morris' scheme failed that's all there is to it.

EXCUSE ME PLEASE!!!

Have you ever heard of a player named TAYLOR RAPP before?

When you come up to make a tackle you usually wrap the guy up. He put his own meaning to RAPP up & tackle.
It wasn’t like they got burned deep.RAMsey still needs to make the open field tackle.He put his head down & closed his eyes & whiffed.

M. Copeland needed to slid over up front on that play up the middle.Then again how does a guy run straight up the middle for 32 yards playing zone?

I disagree once again on another of your takes.Wanted to find fault with Havenstien Monday,but he wasn’t the problem on the 5(6)sacks.

Tano

Legend
t wasn’t like they got burned deep.RAMsey still needs to make the open field tackle.He put his head down & closed his eyes & whiffed.
Ramsey is one of the best tacklers on the team and that one surprised the heck out of me

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Rams D held the 49ers to 17 points...I can't see watching that game and coming away with what the Defense needs to improve at (although Morris' insistence on keeping Rapp on the field is puzzling)...And he did that with one of the worst starting pair of Edge Rushers in the league and a 6th rounder starting at CB.

Meanwhile, Noteboom leads the league in sacks allowed, we have one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, Robinson may as well be inactive, and Stafford was pressured on over 40% of his drop backs...

Tano

Legend
Rams D held the 49ers to 17 points...I can't see watching that game and coming away with what the Defense needs to improve at (although Morris' insistence on keeping Rapp on the field is puzzling)...
I want to see more sacks and turnovers and that happens by being aggressive.

How many sacks did we get against a depleted SF OL - none

How many turnovers against a QB known for making mistakes at inopportune times - none

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I want to see more sacks and turnovers and that happens by being aggressive.

How many sacks did we get against a depleted SF OL - none

How many turnovers against a QB known for making mistakes at inopportune times - none

Sacks from who? Other than Donald who gets tripled teamed on every other play...Our pass rushers (sans Donald) are terrible and thats not a coaching problem, the position (Edge) was ignored during the offseason after Von left. Jimmy G only has 1 pick so far in the 3 games he's played...I'm not saying there won't be turnover opportunities but there won't be an opportunity if we don't play with a lead considering how the 9ers play us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Its not. But we really know why, dont we? The oline has 1 starter from last year. 1 decent replacement at LT, and the middle of the line is a shambles from injury. Going up against a really good front 7.

With or without our DB injuries we would be playing this same D.
The strength of this D is the front. Why do they let Debo off the line so easy so he can catch that short pass and make his long tackle breaking run for a TD every game? Play it closer, make jimmy g hold the ball and give time to get to him.
They scored 9 points, but that's ok because of injuries? So the D, which has injury issues of it own, is a failure unless it holds San Fran to 8 or less? Wow

Tano

Legend
but got one in the most critical drive agains the Rams in week 18 last year. A big one.
And that play should have been covered by Scott. The worst play by Scott I have seen him make.

He got completely turned around on that ball. I haven't seen Scott do that again.

The one time he did that and Scott got burned badly on that play. Terrible play and dumb luck that Deebo got the ball.

As it was, they were playing zone and Ramsey happened to be in the area and tried to make a play on the ball and was late.

Tano

Legend
Sacks from who? Other than Donald who gets tripled teamed on every other play...Our pass rushers (sans Donald) are terrible and thats not a coaching problem, the position (Edge) was ignored during the offseason after Von left. Jimmy G only has 1 pick so far in the 3 games he's played...I'm not saying there won't be turnover opportunities but there won't be an opportunity if we don't play with a lead considering how the 9ers play us.
And has been stated many times - when the QB is getting rid of the ball within 2.2 seconds it is hard to get a sack.

There was even one play where Donald was completely free to sack Crapola and Crapola was able to throw in the direction of a wide open receiver because we were 10 yards off the play.

If that receiver is covered, it is very possible that we could have gotten a turnover on that play or at minimum a sack.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we just keep in mind that the game was 17-9, with 8 minutes to go, and the ball in the Rams hands. From that point on, the Rams responded with 2 turnovers on O and held San Fran to a 3 and out on D

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Can we just keep in mind that the game was 17-9, with 8 minutes to go, and the ball in the Rams hands. From that point on, the Rams responded with 2 turnovers on O and held San Fran to a 3 and out on D
Amen...

I don't think the defense is perfect by any means but to give perspective, we hold SF to 10, we still lose this game...I think nitpicking Raheem/The D when the they were the sole reason we were even in this game til the 4th quarter is misguided...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
And has been stated many times - when the QB is getting rid of the ball within 2.2 seconds it is hard to get a sack.

There was even one play where Donald was completely free to sack Crapola and Crapola was able to throw in the direction of a wide open receiver because we were 10 yards off the play.

If that receiver is covered, it is very possible that we could have gotten a turnover on that play or at minimum a sack.

A sack or turnover in that scenario is almost useless if all we do is go 3 and out or kick another FG...which is mostly what we did...

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Not really much else to say.