Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Never understood blaming this guy. The defense is playing up to par based on talent. Been saying this all season.

Dude, I don't know where to begin with this comment. Not going to waste time away from the last part of this game to respond but will get to it later. I will say how many teams have 3 hall of farmers in their prime?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In the end, there are some things that are hard to entirely stop - you just need to try to contain them.

Most of us would agree that the 9ers have a good defense - well coached, good scheme - maybe even especially against us.

If you were defending the Rams - what would you do? Try to eliminate Cooper Kupp, right? It’s easier said than done with some players. Deebo had a play but was otherwise contained. Kittle got a play but was otherwise contained. They couldn’t run on us.

This was a Morris win.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
In the end, there are some things that are hard to entirely stop - you just need to try to contain them.

Most of us would agree that the 9ers have a good defense - well coached, good scheme - maybe even especially against us.

If you were defending the Rams - what would you do? Try to eliminate Cooper Kupp, right? It’s easier said than done with some players. Deebo had a play but was otherwise contained. Kittle got a play but was otherwise contained. They couldn’t run on us.

This was a Morris win.

But... The whiners played zone. Maybe that's all they have but Cooper Kupp eats up zones and that's what he did. Maybe it was the 6-0 against the Rams and they have our number so they didn't make adjustments?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He pisses me off sometimes especially the fascination with Reeder over Howard. But the defense kept us in the game when the offense couldn't do shit. Fortunately the offense decided the 4th quarter was their time and the defense kept it up.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He pisses me off sometimes especially the fascination with Reeder over Howard. But the defense kept us in the game when the offense couldn't do shit. Fortunately the offense decided the 4th quarter was their time and the defense kept it up.
I honestly don’t get people.
Howard is doing GREAT in his role.. an off-ball ILB who is good in coverage.

He’s also under 220.

He’s not any kind of run stuffer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly don’t get people.
Howard is doing GREAT in his role.. an off-ball ILB who is good in coverage.

He’s also under 220.

He’s not any kind of run stuffer.
Don't give a single fuck about their weight difference. He's twice the player Reeder is and you put him and Jones together it's light years ahead of Reeder and anybody.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Don't give a single fuck about their weight difference. He's twice the player Reeder is and you put him and Jones together it's light years ahead of Reeder and anybody.
No.. you’re putting Jones down in for Reeder. Howard plays Young’s old spot. Jones & Reeder both man the middle.

I’m not arguing to play Reeder ahead of Jones. And Reeder & Howard play different spots.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No.. you’re putting Jones down in for Reeder. Howard plays Young’s old spot. Jones & Reeder both man the middle.

I’m not arguing to play Reeder ahead of Jones. And Reeder & Howard play different spots.
I'd put a fucking traffic cone in ahead of Reeder. My god man are you really defending what we saw on the field from him today? I've been right there with you against the fire Morris crowd and their pitchforks. But you'll never ever get me to support Reeder.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd put a fucking traffic cone in ahead of Reeder. My god man are you really defending what we saw on the field from him today? I've been right there with you against the fire Morris crowd and their pitchforks. But you'll never ever get me to support Reeder.
Yeah.
A Traffic cone would’ve helped hold the 9ers to 17.

So, don’t support a Ram, fine.

Done.

TexasRam

Legend
I found it interesting that Rapp was "Still in concussion protocol because he didn't have a full week of practice".

If Morris had any part in being extra cautious with Rapp and keeping him out this week - which I have a hunch he did - then Morris deserves props.

I will also give Morris for having his guys ready to shut down the run. It was quite impressive.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I found it interesting that Rapp was "Still in concussion protocol because he didn't have a full week of practice".

If Morris had any part in being extra cautious with Rapp and keeping him out this week - which I have a hunch he did - then Morris deserves props.

I will also give Morris for having his guys ready to shut down the run. It was quite impressive.

Soooooooo…..
A guy he’s had start all season, he doesn’t even want on his game day roster?

Holy moly.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Morris should spend the next 13 days with Reeder explaining position, responsibilities, and basic coverage.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm glad Morris is being more aggressive with his play.

That said the question remains is what took him so long? Was it because the light went on for him? Or was it because of heat from the top? I tend to think it was the latter rather than the former. How he's played the defense during the playoffs isn't how he played them during the season. IMO had he played the D all season long the way he has played them during the playoffs this team probably would have contended for the #1 seed. At the very least the #2 seed would have been likely.

The Niners played what looked like a lot of deep shells with a soft zone underneath hoping their front 4 could get home. Which is why Stafford ate them up as an elite QB would.

I have no doubt Morris will continue this aggressive style in the Super Bowl. My concern is if he is retained will he revert back to his bend and break style next season? IMO he's a "good enough" kind of DC who doesn't care if his defense plays ugly games. As pointed out by others, he doesn't play to his player's strengths, i.e. playing Rapp as a deep safety when his skill set is as an in the box SS. His penchant for playing only one ILB is also concerning.

The interesting counterpoint is that it was actually a good thing that the Rams trailed most of the game. Because Shanny went conservative in his play calling and blitzed less than normal. It was like he kept waiting for Stafford to meltdown. It was his team that bent and broke. He allowed the Rams to hang around long enough to beat the Niners.

TexasRam

Legend
Soooooooo…..
A guy he’s had start all season, he doesn’t even want on his game day roster?

Holy moly.
Yea, have you watched any Rams games?

Acting like Rapp isn't a major liability is pretty dishonest in my opinion.

You can't on one hand claim some of the defensive issues are related to Personnel and not Morris and then later come back and defend those same players. I mean you can but it's rather inconsistent.

Last edited: