Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's NO DOUBT the previous coaches had better LBs and Safeties!!!
LBs are better this year hands down.

ILB has added Jones who is excellent for a first year player and a solid starter. They have better health with the depth too with Howard managing to stay healthy for this crucial window and Reeder playing solid. Reeder is very good as a primary depth.

Edges are stronger and deeper.

Safeties I agree with you though no reservations.

TexasRam

Legend
It's about the DL. Compared to previous years this DL has plus matchups on strong and weak ends, and two plus matchups in the middle. Even if you say that Gaines isn't that, which is debatable, we have three strong win chance players 1v1 which means no OL will be able to hold the ball. Also Robinson has been as good as Gaines at times in there vs the run, and we get SJD back who is also good vs the run and marginal vs pass.

Our DL is sickeningly good right now. It's why we're here. And it makes up for those weaknesses on the back end.

Re: the safeties all I'll say is Rapp was used far better last season. Morris tried to turn him into an all-around guy which is noble but he doesn't have the feel over the top. Used for showing quarters looks then moving into the box at the snap is the way to go. Cycling him to nickel too. But keeping him over the top has burned Morris over and over so some of this is usage and prep via gameplans.

Basically DL is way better than previous years. Secondary is lesser but not by all that much. Morris has the best defense of McVay's regime thus far and stand by if Jones comes in and plays how he was playing before the injury.
I will give Rapp this, when rewatching the week 18 game he was excellent in run support and coming up and tackling in the open field. But yea, as a deep safety he is a massive massive liability that will lose the team the game if they are not careful and play him back there. Flashbacks of last year (or the year before I forget) when Rapp and Ramsey gave Jimmy the deep pass on 3rd and forever to get into feild goal position and beat us. The fact that they still play Rapp at deep safety to this day just amazes me.,

Some of the scouting reports on Rapp said this exact same thing. Massive liability in coverage that should never be played as a deep safety but great tackler and ability to close on the ball carrier in the open field.

"Taylor Rapp is a bit of a throwback, he has terrific skills in run support and it's easy to fall in love with his motor and splash plays in pursuit. But in coverage, Rapp presents several concerns, primarily surrounding his ability to cover the necessary ground to be an effective defender in either man or zone coverage. Rapp lacks mobility and short area change of direction skills, he's going to be a more effective presence in the box as compared to playing 12-15 yards off the ball. "

TexasRam

Legend
Ramsey spoke to this earlier. It used to be that NFL defenses looked to see what the offensive formation was and then they adjusted. Now, the defense calls the shots. They run a D and the offense tries to adjust from there. Ramsey doesn’t exclusively follow anyone - he didn’t with Staley and he doesn’t with Morris.
Not exactly true. There were several games under Staley where Ramsey matched up with the #1 WR for most of the game. Hopkins, Metcalf, even in the Playoff game on Adams.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not exactly true. There were several games under Staley where Ramsey matched up with the #1 WR for most of the game. Hopkins, Metcalf, even in the Playoff game on Adams.
Most but not all. You will see Ramey on Deebo most of the time tomorrow. You saw him on Evans most of the time last week. It’s just not going to be all the time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And several games this year.

None of those teams did with their WR what SF does with Deebo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Williams got beat repeatedly last week… by Scotty Miller.

No one said anything about doubling aiuke. That's just overkill. Double kill the with Howard and burgess.

And it's not like Miller is going to get shut down. Without Godwin and AB he's their 3rd option. BTW, miller's first of 4 receptions was against long, in zone coverage. I don't know about the other 3.

Also, in the the 2nd quarter Evans had 4 consecutive receptions, 3 against Ramsey playing 8 yards off in zone. 2 easy first downs. If Ramsey is up on him at the line that doesn't happen. Probably more like he gets 2 passes thrown his way with one completion for no first down.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
From what I've read, I agree with. Hate seeing zone all the time and us giving big cushions consistently at times letting teams just dink and dunk all the way down the field.

RamWoodie

Legend
LBs are better this year hands down.

ILB has added Jones who is excellent for a first year player and a solid starter. They have better health with the depth too with Howard managing to stay healthy for this crucial window and Reeder playing solid. Reeder is very good as a primary depth.

Edges are stronger and deeper.

Safeties I agree with you though no reservations.
I can't agree Merlin...so we agree to disagree on this.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yup.
And you know where Ramsey is, so it’s that much easier to decide where to go with the ball.
But not as dangerous to the Rams. It is risk reward. It should be part of the game plan. You don't do a fake punt from your own 20 unless you got nothing to lose. Same with where you play Ramsey. If Ramsey is not on Deebo you risk more than if he isn't. The Rams should say Deebo is not going to beat us and put Ramsey on Deebo.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
To refer to authority as proof for an argument is a logical fallacy. Loads of Coordinators and head coaches are fired every year because they are inept. They parrot ideas and implement terrible game plans that don't work. Kurt Warner himself pointed out that if the Rams do not Press the Niners WR's then it's going to be a long day for the Rams and they will make the game too easy on Jimmy.

I'll take a Hall of fame QB's perspective over a DC that ran the worst defense in the NFL in Atlanta and took the Rams from #1 to #16.

Saying we don't have the Corners for press is ridiculous. Jalen Ramsey and Darius Williams were excellent press corners last year. They were forced into off coverage zone and both have looked real bad at times in that scheme.

I am all about rooting for Morris and will give him shout outs if he plays more aggressive in this game. I pray he does. If Jimmy has another career day against us after being horrible in the playoffs then Morris and all his knowledge isn't going to look so knowledgable.
I agree. For those of us who were Rams fans in the Chuck Knox days. He would do the same things in the playoffs that got him to the playoffs. He would say "You dance with who brung ya" He never made it to the SB because of it. He got out coached at some point in the playoffs. The teams were not better, the coaching was.

Morris needs to do better this game. Sell out to stop the run and stop letting receivers off the line of scrimmage untouched. The only philosophy he should go by in this game is, No Balls No Blue chips.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No one said anything about doubling aiuke. That's just overkill. Double kill the with Howard and burgess.

And it's not like Miller is going to get shut down. Without Godwin and AB he's their 3rd option. BTW, miller's first of 4 receptions was against long, in zone coverage. I don't know about the other 3.

Also, in the the 2nd quarter Evans had 4 consecutive receptions, 3 against Ramsey playing 8 yards off in zone. 2 easy first downs. If Ramsey is up on him at the line that doesn't happen. Probably more like he gets 2 passes thrown his way with one completion for no first down.

I find something pretty consistent in the arguments against Morris... anytime there's a breakdown on D.. it's his fault. He called the wrong coverage.. etc.. etc.

Oh.. so.. Ramsey gave up several shorter passes? And the Bucs didn't score? Seems like... a win for the D?
Later.. Ramsey in single coverage.. blown up over the top on a TD that took Tampa no time to score.

Also.. Williams strength last year wasn't necessarily press coverage.. he made several of his best plays in zone when they were "pattern matching."

Bottom line, to me... whatever the game plan, the players have to execute. The Rams missed 19 tackles the last time against the 9ers.. that just can't happen.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But not as dangerous to the Rams. It is risk reward. It should be part of the game plan. You don't do a fake punt from your own 20 unless you got nothing to lose. Same with where you play Ramsey. If Ramsey is not on Deebo you risk more than if he isn't. The Rams should say Deebo is not going to beat us and put Ramsey on Deebo.

Sometimes, yes!! Other times, no!

Sorry, but you mix up defenses, coverages and looks in the NFL. ESPECIALLY with a team that wants to get the ball out as quickly as SF.
Offenses are too diverse and counter way too quickly if you are static on defense.

Like I've said.. 3rd and longer? Deebo out wide? ABSOLUTELY put Ramsey on him! Other times? Mix it up.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I find something pretty consistent in the arguments against Morris... anytime there's a breakdown on D.. it's his fault. He called the wrong coverage.. etc.. etc.

Oh.. so.. Ramsey gave up several shorter passes? And the Bucs didn't score? Seems like... a win for the D?
Later.. Ramsey in single coverage.. blown up over the top on a TD that took Tampa no time to score.

Also.. Williams strength last year wasn't necessarily press coverage.. he made several of his best plays in zone when they were "pattern matching."

Bottom line, to me... whatever the game plan, the players have to execute. The Rams missed 19 tackles the last time against the 9ers.. that just can't happen.

No doubt the missed tackles, especially at or behind the LOS, were a big reason for the loss.

As for my criticism of Morris it isn't just when things go sideways. It's the entire soft zone.

The Rams have the best pass rush win % at 58%, 2nd is 53, but instead of capitalizing on that by playing tighter coverage at the line, he let's the qb off the hook some by playing zone because now he knows where to go sooner and gets rid of the ball faster.

Playing tighter would also lead to more hits, sacks, and hurried passes which is what we want from Jimmy. We want him to feel more uncomfortable and having to throw jump balls or throw guys open rather than to a spot in zone.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No doubt the missed tackles, especially at or behind the LOS, were a big reason for the loss.

As for my criticism of Morris it isn't just when things go sideways. It's the entire soft zone.

The Rams have the best pass rush win % at 58%, 2nd is 53, but instead of capitalizing on that by playing tighter coverage at the line, he let's the qb off the hook some by playing zone because now he knows where to go sooner and gets rid of the ball faster.

Playing tighter would also lead to more hits, sacks, and hurried passes which is what we want from Jimmy. We want him to feel more uncomfortable and having to throw jump balls or throw guys open rather than to a spot in zone.
Again.. I like mixing in tighter coverage.

Again.. mixing coverages and disguising them pre-snap and rotating them, post-snap, make a QB have to process a little longer, which helps the pass rush actually get to the QB.

Variety. Diversity. Execution.

Want Jimmy to be uncomfortable? Don't let him know what he's throwing against, down to down.. and mix it up so that he has to recognize it.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Breakdowns are usually caused by miscommunication and reading keys wrong, which always come back to coaching and gameplan install and how well you prep your players.

Some coaches have a knack for getting the scheme locked in players' minds. Staley had that and it allowed him to pull off a lot of the stuff he did seamlessly. In those games where he ran the gameplanning there was very little miscommunication, they were exceptionally consistent even running deceptive looks pre-snap. Watch last year's safeties on tape and there wasn't a lot of confusion or them waivering on responsibilities like there was this year. Rapp was far better focused in on what he was doing. Fuller was playing like an all-pro. Williams was playing like an all-pro. Hell even Hill knew where to be and was well prepped and it showed in his play.

Staley elevated that group on the back end. No doubt about it. This year they had a guy learning the ropes on the scheme in terms of gameplanning and calling it on gameday and you can see it in how the players perform.

Morris has not performed at his level and it's why he's not a slam-dunk HC hire this year. But the good thing here is that he has an opportunity to finish strong which is something Staley did not do. So even though this year's unit has underperformed a bit they are performing well now which is what matters and have a chance to get this done.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sometimes, yes!! Other times, no!

Sorry, but you mix up defenses, coverages and looks in the NFL. ESPECIALLY with a team that wants to get the ball out as quickly as SF.
Offenses are too diverse and counter way too quickly if you are static on defense.

Like I've said.. 3rd and longer? Deebo out wide? ABSOLUTELY put Ramsey on him! Other times? Mix it up.
I know, I am not stupid. Part of the problem with your arguments, are that you try to sell facts that arent true. The d doesn't have to be static with Ramsey on Deebo. The D can do anything it wants. Man to man, match up zone, cover 2, what ever it want's. They can double other players or even Deebo, Blitz. That is not static and it keeps the QB guessing which we all agree on is important. This has been done for years. Just because Ramsey is on Deebo doesn't mean we can't do everything in the playbook, but Ramsey being on Deebo doesn't let Shannahan dictate what our D does to stop Deebo. This way Deebo lines up in the backfield and goes out for a screen or a bubble screen or goes anywhere Ramsey is in his shorts before the play develops.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I think our Secondary Coach also had a lot to do with their play last year

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Again.. I like mixing in tighter coverage.

Again.. mixing coverages and disguising them pre-snap and rotating them, post-snap, make a QB have to process a little longer, which helps the pass rush actually get to the QB.

Variety. Diversity. Execution.

Want Jimmy to be uncomfortable? Don't let him know what he's throwing against, down to down.. and mix it up so that he has to recognize it.

I understand what you're saying and I can see where zone can be effective. My hope is that he shifts to playing more tighter coverage than he has been

Tano

Legend
I understand what you're saying and I can see where zone can be effective. My hope is that he shifts to playing more tighter coverage than he has been
I would like to see a true front 7 against the 49ers

Either a 3 -4 4-3 or 5-2

Too often it has been a 3 3 5 defense

Not going to work against a power running team