Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I pray Morris has a stroke of genius and plays some press man coverage on passing downs. Literally slowing down a WR for a half second can allow the pass rush to get home and tilt the game in our favor with a sack fumble.

The predictable zone shells need to be MIA to confuse Jimmy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I feel like Raheem just flat out knows more about football then the fan base does - even the knowledgeable folks in this thread. If he runs man, there is a reason. If it’s zone, there is a reason. We will always judge by results - as fans do - but I’m one fan who will admit that the guy knows way more than I do about how to run this defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like Raheem just flat out knows more about football then the fan base does - even the knowledgeable folks in this thread. If he runs man, there is a reason. If it’s zone, there is a reason. We will always judge by results - as fans do - but I’m one fan who will admit that the guy knows way more than I do about how to run this defense.
The reason no man or press man or any of that is done regularly is our corners.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The reason no man or press man or any of that is done regularly is our corners.
Maybe. Maybe it’s because of some matchup issue, or so our safeties can see the quick, or to keep everything in front, or any other reason. My point is - let’s stop pretending like we know how to set a defense like Raheem Morris does. Our second guessing him is nothing more than 20/20 hindsight - he has forgotten more about football than all of us will ever know combined. People who earlier in this thread called for his job should be embarrassed by their takes - the same way people who lambasted Snead for trading for Stafford should be. Crow is delicious - and it is all you can eat on this forum.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

Just because someone knows more doesn't mean they're always right. Of course he knows more than me but that's what makes it so confusing.

We have seen dd, long, and even Reeder covering debo at times and I can't for the life of me figure out why that can ever happen in any scheme when Ramsey is on the field.

Think of it from Jimmy's view. You walk to the line, debos in the slot with Ramsey over him. Probably not your first choice. If debo moves outside and Ramsey stays inside, you're like, sweet, I'll take it. But if Ramsey follows debo to the outside, you're probably looking elsewhere, right?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just because someone knows more doesn't mean they're always right. Of course he knows more than me but that's what makes it so confusing.

We have seen dd, long, and even Reeder covering debo at times and I can't for the life of me figure out why that can ever happen in any scheme when Ramsey is on the field.

Think of it from Jimmy's view. You walk to the line, debos in the slot with Ramsey over him. Probably not your first choice. If debo moves outside and Ramsey stays inside, you're like, sweet, I'll take it. But if Ramsey follows debo to the outside, you're probably looking elsewhere, right?
Yup.
And you know where Ramsey is, so it’s that much easier to decide where to go with the ball.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Ramsey spoke to this earlier. It used to be that NFL defenses looked to see what the offensive formation was and then they adjusted. Now, the defense calls the shots. They run a D and the offense tries to adjust from there. Ramsey doesn’t exclusively follow anyone - he didn’t with Staley and he doesn’t with Morris.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yup.
And you know where Ramsey is, so it’s that much easier to decide where to go with the ball.

Exactly, you're not going to your best guy, and your 2nd best option is probably doubled.

You always know where Ramsey is. You see it at the line. The only difference is is when he's not on your best receiver that makes his decision even easier and the chance for their success even better.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Ramsey spoke to this earlier. It used to be that NFL defenses looked to see what the offensive formation was and then they adjusted. Now, the defense calls the shots. They run a D and the offense tries to adjust from there. Ramsey doesn’t exclusively follow anyone - he didn’t with Staley and he doesn’t with Morris.

Shutdown corners have been how the defense can call their shot. They say we're going to take your best player away. Deal with that.

TexasRam

Legend
To refer to authority as proof for an argument is a logical fallacy. Loads of Coordinators and head coaches are fired every year because they are inept. They parrot ideas and implement terrible game plans that don't work. Kurt Warner himself pointed out that if the Rams do not Press the Niners WR's then it's going to be a long day for the Rams and they will make the game too easy on Jimmy.

I'll take a Hall of fame QB's perspective over a DC that ran the worst defense in the NFL in Atlanta and took the Rams from #1 to #16.

Saying we don't have the Corners for press is ridiculous. Jalen Ramsey and Darius Williams were excellent press corners last year. They were forced into off coverage zone and both have looked real bad at times in that scheme.

I am all about rooting for Morris and will give him shout outs if he plays more aggressive in this game. I pray he does. If Jimmy has another career day against us after being horrible in the playoffs then Morris and all his knowledge isn't going to look so knowledgable.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
To refer to authority as proof for an argument is a logical fallacy. Loads of Coordinators and head coaches are fired every year because they are inept. They parrot ideas and implement terrible game plans that don't work. Kurt Warner himself pointed out that if the Rams do not Press the Niners WR's then it's going to be a long day for the Rams and they will make the game too easy on Jimmy.

I'll take a Hall of fame QB's perspective over a DC that ran the worst defense in the NFL in Atlanta and took the Rams from #1 to #16.

Saying we don't have the Corners for press is ridiculous. Jalen Ramsey and Darius Williams were excellent press corners last year. They were forced into off coverage zone and both have looked real bad at times in that scheme.

I am all about rooting for Morris and will give him shout outs if he plays more aggressive in this game. I pray he does. If Jimmy has another career day against us after being horrible in the playoffs then Morris and all his knowledge isn't going to look so knowledgable.

Amen, brother

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Exactly, you're not going to your best guy, and your 2nd best option is probably doubled.

You always know where Ramsey is. You see it at the line. The only difference is is when he's not on your best receiver that makes his decision even easier and the chance for their success even better.
No.
You already know, pre-snap, that you’re not going there.
You can’t double Kittle & Aiyuk on top of that… and Jennings roasted us the last time.
Pre-snap disguising makes a QB have to process.. just a little longer. You do post snap movement & it can create a little more noise.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Kurt picked the Cards.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We all know Ramsey's versatility, but I agree Williams is better in man vs zone. I think this has played a big part of why he's been a far weaker corner this year. We've played a ton of zone. Last year we ran a lot of combo coverages with outside corners playing man, and LBs/Safeties playing zone. I did see some of that last week vs TB though.

And with SF they have two dominant receiving options, just like the TB matchup. We can press Deebo with Ramsey, and then double Kittle with ILB/S. To me this gives us our best chance to win. If Jimmy gets to his 3rd option and Aiyuk beats us then so be it. But playing press man at times will give our pass rush an extra second to get home which we'll need with Trent Williams back.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We all know Ramsey's versatility, but I agree Williams is better in man vs zone. I think this has played a big part of why he's been a far weaker corner this year. We've played a ton of zone. Last year we ran a lot of combo coverages with outside corners playing man, and LBs/Safeties playing zone. I did see some of that last week vs TB though.

And with SF they have two dominant receiving options, just like the TB matchup. We can press Deebo with Ramsey, and then double Kittle with ILB/S. To me this gives us our best chance to win. If Jimmy gets to his 3rd option and Aiyuk beats us then so be it. But playing press man at times will give our pass rush an extra second to get home which we'll need with Trent Williams back.
Williams got beat repeatedly last week… by Scotty Miller.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Williams got beat repeatedly last week… by Scotty Miller.
I mean he got beat on a couple throws yea, but Scotty still only went for 4catches for 38yards. Not like he took over the game. But he was effective enough on the one drive that Morris slid safety help his way leaving Ramsey 1-on-1 which led to the Evans TD. I'll give you that.

Williams hasn't been good this year at all, so not really trying to defend him. He's just been atrocious in zone coverage and I've seen him make more plays the 2nd half of the year in man. Regardless he's gone next year and I expect Rochelle, Long, or a FA to be starting across from Ramsey.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think he has a major weakness the other two didn't have and that's safety. He's got a better 2nd pass rusher behind AD in Von but the safety position is without question weaker than anything Wade or Staley had to deal with. None of them really had a good ILB but Jones shows promise.
It's about the DL. Compared to previous years this DL has plus matchups on strong and weak ends, and two plus matchups in the middle. Even if you say that Gaines isn't that, which is debatable, we have three strong win chance players 1v1 which means no OL will be able to hold the ball. Also Robinson has been as good as Gaines at times in there vs the run, and we get SJD back who is also good vs the run and marginal vs pass.

Our DL is sickeningly good right now. It's why we're here. And it makes up for those weaknesses on the back end.

Re: the safeties all I'll say is Rapp was used far better last season. Morris tried to turn him into an all-around guy which is noble but he doesn't have the feel over the top. Used for showing quarters looks then moving into the box at the snap is the way to go. Cycling him to nickel too. But keeping him over the top has burned Morris over and over so some of this is usage and prep via gameplans.

Basically DL is way better than previous years. Secondary is lesser but not by all that much. Morris has the best defense of McVay's regime thus far and stand by if Jones comes in and plays how he was playing before the injury.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean he got beat on a couple throws yea, but Scotty still only went for 4catches for 38yards. Not like he took over the game. But he was effective enough on the one drive that Morris slid safety help his way leaving Ramsey 1-on-1 which led to the Evans TD. I'll give you that.

Williams hasn't been good this year at all, so not really trying to defend him. He's just been atrocious in zone coverage and I've seen him make more plays the 2nd half of the year in man. Regardless he's gone next year and I expect Rochelle, Long, or a FA to be starting across from Ramsey.
So… he was getting beat so bad by the #4 WR, they had to rotate coverage.

Think about that.