Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I have two questions for Raheem. Why didn't he play his defense this way all year long? Will he continue to play this way the rest of the postseason?

Players loved Wade Phillips too. There are lots of coaches that players love, but IMO it doesn't mean that the coach is anything more than a good guy. A case in point was Mike Riley the Chargers HC (1999 -2000). All the players loved him as a coach. But a poor FO and poor drafts doomed his tenure. How bad was it? Riley begged the FO to draft a QB named Tom Brady with their 184th 6th round pick but they refused and drafted JaJuan Seider QB later in the 6th.

A HC without a good FO behind him will struggle.

I sincerely hope the Vikings hire Morris. The Rams deserve better at DC.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I have two questions for Raheem. Why didn't he play his defense this way all year long? Will he continue to play this way the rest of the postseason?

Players loved Wade Phillips too. There are lots of coaches that players love, but IMO it doesn't mean that the coach is anything more than a good guy. A case in point was Mike Riley the Chargers HC (1999 -2000). All the players loved him as a coach. But a poor FO and poor drafts doomed his tenure. How bad was it? Riley begged the FO to draft a QB named Tom Brady with their 184th 6th round pick but they refused and drafted JaJuan Seider QB later in the 6th.

A HC without a good FO behind him will struggle.

I sincerely hope the Vikings hire Morris. The Rams deserve better at DC.

They played pretty well all season. Sucked against the 9ers, were pretty bad against the Packers and had a down game against AZ the first time.

Maybe you're asking the wrong questions?

Seem pretty entrenched, despite evidence, that he's actually a pretty decent DC.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Win win, Draft pick and go get a Fangio. Loved Raheems job last night but we need more picks.

RAHEEM MORRISDC, LOS ANGELES RAMS

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Vikings have requested an interview with Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris for the team's head coaching vacancy.​

The Rams' Monday night domination of the Cardinals couldn't have hurt Morris' chances of landing a head coaching job for next season. Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and Dallas OC Kellen Moore are also in the running to be Minnesota's next head coach. Morris, 45, was Atlanta's interim head coach in 2020; the team sided with Arthur Smith over Morris, who landed in LA. A strong end-of-season run for the Rams defense could put Morris in position to get a long-awaited and much-deserved head coaching gig.

no pick as minority candidates have to be with a team for 2 years in order for picks to be given. If Raheem Morris is a one and done DC for the Rams, there's no compensation.

What's crazy is that Morris seems to have really changed in the last 5 weeks. We're seeing more 5 man pressures and specifically a heavy 5 man front on run downs featuring Floyd, AD, Gaines, AR, Miller. That front has really tightened up the Rams run D.

I also think he drastically improved when so many players tested positive for COVID and he had to field a D with so many key players out.

I was a real critic of him prior to this 6 game stretch including last night... he not only has improved from a play calling perspective, but he's not using that really bad pattern he was before. He's more aggressive, more unpredictable and most importantly... HE'S NOT USING THAT DAMN 4-3 HYBRID OF A 3-4 HYBRID that was just awful to watch.

Even though he still uses 4-3 looks (usually in obvious nickel or dime situations), he's not just sitting in those looks on run downs. He's also gotten back to having the DL penetrate on Run D as opposed to trying to 2 gap. These guys are 1 gap guys for the most part and it's their strength.

It also helps that McVay has focuses much more on the field position game and isn't putting the D in tough positions. Hekker never went anywhere and he really showed up last night. Also, shout out to my boy Skow as he's the best gunner we've had in awhile and is always there to force a fair catch or down the punt.

I really like THIS Morris. I hope he stays and continues to improve. I couldn't say that 6 weeks ago.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They played pretty well all season. Sucked against the 9ers, were pretty bad against the Packers and had a down game against AZ the first time.

Maybe you're asking the wrong questions?

Seem pretty entrenched, despite evidence, that he's actually a pretty decent DC.
I think Him and McVay had a come to jesus meeting after that SF game. McVay laid it out. Don't let up on D anymore. Don't stop what is working just because we get a good lead.
Brady was getting rid of the ball an average of 2.1 seconds last game. That means playing off of the line of scrimmage is out of the question. Lets see how things go against TB.

oldnotdead

Legend
I was a real critic of him prior to this 6 game stretch including last night... he not only has improved from a play calling perspective, but he's not using that really bad pattern he was before. He's more aggressive, more unpredictable and most importantly... HE'S NOT USING THAT DAMN 4-3 HYBRID OF A 3-4 HYBRID that was just awful to watch.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Morris is still using the hybrid scheme. You can tell by the way he's changes the alignment of the front 7. For example, AD might play a 3T on one snap then play 5T on the very next snap.

What is different is how he plays his guys. He has played them aggressively, i.e. not simply dropping into a zone and waiting for the reception which was how he plays all too often. This defense is best when each reception is contested. The problem is he has a tendency to return to his soft zone the minute the Rams gets a lead. This allows teams to move the ball at will and all too often score. Just look at the last Niners game. IMO Morris lost that game by going limp dick with his defense, allowing a one dimensional team to march down the field and score to win the game.

That is the biggest concern with me. If the Rams get a lead over the Bucs, Morris can't afford his limp dick soft zone which Brady will shred.

TexasRam

Legend
1. Morris does deserve credit for having his crew ready to play and performing at the highest level. ESPECIALLY with both starting safety’s out.

2. Travis Howard and Burgess both had excellent performances. Some of the coverages Howard had were much better than anything we have seen from a LB here in years. Further, Burgess tackling was phenomenal.

Why were these two not given a look earlier in the year?

More importantly, will they get more playing time? Burgess is a big upgrade over Rapp and Howard’s ability to cover Gronk could be I instrumental to our defense.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Morris is still using the hybrid scheme. You can tell by the way he's changes the alignment of the front 7. For example, AD might play a 3T on one snap then play 5T on the very next snap.

What is different is how he plays his guys. He has played them aggressively, i.e. not simply dropping into a zone and waiting for the reception which was how he plays all too often. This defense is best when each reception is contested. The problem is he has a tendency to return to his soft zone the minute the Rams gets a lead. This allows teams to move the ball at will and all too often score. Just look at the last Niners game. IMO Morris lost that game by going limp dick with his defense, allowing a one dimensional team to march down the field and score to win the game.

That is the biggest concern with me. If the Rams get a lead over the Bucs, Morris can't afford his limp dick soft zone which Brady will shred.
Rams have to aggressively cover the Bucs receivers including the short routes. Backing off in soft zone is not an option against Brady. Make him hold the ball and try to go downfield while AD Miller and company bring the heat.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Great, great defensive game plan.

Only turnovers kept Tampa in it.

I’m hoping we’re all on the same page now.. that Morris is a sold DC.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've been hard on Morris all year. But these last 2 games he's been excellent.

Learn from your passed 49er mistakes.

Ellard80

Legend
defense was great today - they kind of cracked at the end

but i can't really blame them they got a shitter dropped on their head.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
defense was great today - they kind of cracked at the end

but i can't really blame them they got a shitter dropped on their head.
Much has been made of Morris’ schemes.

I’ve got zero issue with his approach or calls today.

Really good stuff.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Much has been made of Morris’ schemes.

I’ve got zero issue with his approach or calls today.

Really good stuff.
Certainly no complaints from me. There were some individual players mistakes throughout the second half (on both sides, unfortunately) but nothing that reflects very largely on the coaching staff.

Morris is good and I'm hoping he comes back next year.

My only major concern is that the backups are playing better than the starters were. Is this just playoff miracles happening before or eyes, or are the backups actually better and talent was poorly evaluated all year? Either way, we made it to the playoffs and we're hosting the championship game. As long as things keep going well, I don't really care about the answer to that question.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We won today because of Morris, his players and his game plan. They were dealt shit after shit after shit with the offense turning the ball over and they helped to over come that.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Keep him, lets be real it took Staley's D awhile to get rollin and it took Morris's D awhile too.
We are rollin and the personnel that doesn't fit can be moved and replaced.
Lets start building on what we have developed over looking for something that may not be better.
Morris has been unreal the past 2 weeks

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep him, lets be real it took Staley's D awhile to get rollin and it took Morris's D awhile too.
We are rollin and the personnel that doesn't fit can be moved and replaced.
Lets start building on what we have developed over looking for something that may not be better.
Morris has been unreal the past 2 weeks
With some other dc's having let downs in the playoffs he may leap ahead of them on the coach interview circuit.

dang

Legend
Great, great defensive game plan.

Only turnovers kept Tampa in it.

I’m hoping we’re all on the same page now.. that Morris is a sold DC.
And a huge blown coverage on Evans. And a huge missed tackle on Fournette that would have iced the game. And a makeable missed FG that would have iced it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he has totally redeemed himself with the way the d has played in the playoffs.

if the d wasn't on top of it's game there's no way the rams could hold on after turning the ball over so many times.