Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is why they signed Eric Weddle.

Add Nick Scott had a broken(injured) Hand.
When someone says Morris didn’t (bdoesn’t) coach players up is ridiculous.Ernest Jones is a perfect example. A rookie who Raheem tells keep prepared & train as a starter so when the time comes you’ll be ready.
Jones was the leader of a STAR stacked defense before he got hurt.
The Rams cut Kiser & then trade Kenny Young & now The Rams are stuck with Travin Howard

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Tano, IMO all this proves is that he and others on the defense have shown throughout the season is that they are not ready to play. They haven't been coached up enough to see the play developing and not understand what they are seeing. That is all on Morris and his staff. Coaching matters. In the same way Staley took Phillips' defense and molded them into the #1 unit in the NFL in one season. Morris has taken that same unit and dropped them into the middle of the pack.
You're so right.

Staley should probably be fired from the Chargers from not getting them to improve in run defense. They went from middle of the pack to dead last. Coaching matters.

In all seriousness.. Scott is graded worse this year by PFF and has been bad. We can blame coaching. We can also blame the fact Scott is playing double the amount of snaps as last year and exposed more. We've seen this happen all over when it comes to low-rotation players getting a big increase in snaps. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

Unfortunately Fuller was out that series and Rapp was playing with a concussion.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean, there was a 10 hour difference from your post to mine. Not sure if "hurry" is the word I'd use. I know this reply is fast, but it's coincidence. I happen to still be here and saw your reply. I want to get an apology out quickly.

I'm sorry that I touched a nerve there. I want trying to get under your skin. I thought the situation was funny. That clearly didn't come across as well as I intended. You recognized the behavior and supplied the word. I agreed. Maybe too strongly. I'm sorry about that. I meant it a little funny and it clearly didn't come out that way.

What I assumed you meant the was basically nothing because you immediately followed it up with "But I do think..."

Using "but" and then immediately following up with paragraphs about how Ramsey acted on his own and was obviously in error (which he was) doesn't inspire confidence that you actually agreed. It seemed like you were providing just enough appearance of agreement to ignore my point and reassert your own. If that's not what you were trying to do (which it obviously wasn't), sorry about that. Misinterpreting intent and tone in text is fairly common, but I'll take my lumps. I assumed a less honest intent than I should have. My apologies.

My opinion on Morris has changed, due to a combination of this second half of the year and you. I appreciate your viewpoint and faith in him. I was wrong when I said he's not going to be able to coach a good enough defense for the team. He's adjusted, he's learning, things have improved, and I think my sanity/heartburn can withstand another season of him. I'll probably always have nitpicks, because I'm an uneducated (football-wise) fan who is strongly opinionated and he's not going to be perfect. All in all though, he's doing good enough right now. My only issue with the way you argue is, as I said, you've never admitted to him making even one small mistake. It makes it hard to take it seriously or assume it's in good faith. You've stated that he's not perfect and has made mistakes, but you never admit to what any of those might be. That's frustrating. I can't get you to give any ground and even when you think you are, your immediately following up with "but" and a counter argument which invalidates your agreement. I can't tell my wife "You're pretty, but..." Or tell my boss, "You're not stupid, but..." (Although in the army I just straight up told my platoon sergeant he was stupid; did not go well).

Again, sorry for the miscommunication. I'll take responsibility for that. Have a good night.
I'll use "and" next time instead of "but."

Okay I looked at this play in the All 22 and although I blame Ramsey a lot for this play ...

What the fuck was the safety doing on this play.

He sees Deebo going deep. No one else is in the vicinity. Decides to not cover the guy and then gets turned around on the play while trying to recover.

It is almost hilarious at how bad he played on this play.

He reminded me of Craig Dahl.

I can't see the number so I am not sure who it was whether it was Scott or Burgess.

Edit - it was Nick Scott 33

View attachment 51216

View attachment 51217

If there is one thing I can say that has been bad about this defense...it's the play of the safeties. They always seem confused as to what their assignment is. They are often covering nobody and then missing tackles to top it off. I don't know if Aubrey was the glue that held them together or what happened. I do think this is more of a talent thing than a scheme thing. Staley would have been just as infuriating as Morris had he stayed. The talent was really good last year and this year it's a considerable drop off. Staley led the Chargers to a really bad season defensively...and that was supposed to be his forte.

They have a saying in hockey that I think translates to football: " Show me a great Goalie and I will show his great coach"

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If there is one thing I can say that has been bad about this defense...it's the play of the safeties. They always seem confused as to what their assignment is. They are often covering nobody and then missing tackles to top it off. I don't know if Aubrey was the glue that held them together or what happened. I do think this is more of a talent thing than a scheme thing. Staley would have been just as infuriating as Morris had he stayed. The talent was really good last year and this year it's a considerable drop off. Staley led the Chargers to a really bad season defensively...and that was supposed to be his forte.

They have a saying in hockey that I think translates to football: " Show me a great Goalie and I will show his great coach"
Yes. Fuller was better last season, more consistent and all-around excellent. Rapp was far better last season, used heavily on pre-snap movement into the box and seemed better prepared. Williams was insanely better last season, like a different player.

The play of those three guys are a big indicator in Morris' impact to this team. As a guy who has been mentioned as very knowledgeable in the secondary it's disappointing to see the overall dip in three key players. Also he has done a better job of preparing them in the second half of the season, which backs up that thought that he's learned a lot on the job here. So all that matters is him getting this group playing well for this window. If he finishes strong all will be well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes. Fuller was better last season, more consistent and all-around excellent. Rapp was far better last season, used heavily on pre-snap movement into the box and seemed better prepared. Williams was insanely better last season, like a different player.

The play of those three guys are a big indicator in Morris' impact to this team. As a guy who has been mentioned as very knowledgeable in the secondary it's disappointing to see the overall dip in three key players. Also he has done a better job of preparing them in the second half of the season, which backs up that thought that he's learned a lot on the job here. So all that matters is him getting this group playing well for this window. If he finishes strong all will be well.
Let's start by just putting some of the decline in performance on Morris so that this doesn't come across as a "don't blame Morris" post, because that's not the point I'm trying to make here. The point I'm making is how much is on Morris and how much is on other factors?
They also lost Aubrey Pleasant, and this board has often credited/blamed Oline coaches for the success and failure of McVay's offense, so I'm just pointing out the perceived value of position coaches is pretty high.

I'm not sure how you get that Fuller was better last year, to be honest. At worst, he's as good as he was last year, but has played more because he's been healthy. To assess his play, you need to also add he's the play caller this season, with more responsibilities than last year.

PFF has Fuller a little better than last year and Rapp a little worse.

Jalen Ramsey is still Jalen Ramsey.

Darious Williams went from an 80 pff to 65 this year.

They lost the players with the two highest snap counts, not only in the defensive secondary, but on the entire defense in JJ and Hill.
That's 1926 snaps lost in the secondary.. JJ was graded an 85.6 and Hill 74.2

The Snaps lost at Safety were made up for by a guy with a 65 score and a guy with a 47 score. Scott had a higher score the year before.. was that good coaching, or proper placement and exposure?

Rapp went from 365 snaps on a team that could afford to use him almost exclusively underneath.. to 1114 snaps.
365 in 20

Nick Scott 193 snaps alongside JJ and Fuller.. to 413 alongside Fuller and Rapp.

David Long 116 snaps to 515.
DD didn't get a single snap last year.

I can accept that there are scheme and coaching issues.

But I also think there are significant personnel issues in the secondary that no scheme or amount of coaching will fix.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Was anything ever said it about why they chose not to actually replace Pleasant? That feels like a McVay type decision (not that he had a history of it, but filling out the coaching staff feels like something that's his responsibility). Hopefully we get a chance to restock on coaching talent and split some of these coaching positions out again this off season.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was anything ever said it about why they chose not to actually replace Pleasant? That feels like a McVay type decision (not that he had a history of it, but filling out the coaching staff feels like something that's his responsibility). Hopefully we get a chance to restock on coaching talent and split some of these coaching positions out again this off season.
I think it had to do with Morris. He's basically the secondary lead.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I wonder about that too. Seems foolish that they combined some positions. Pleasant was as some of us expected, a huge loss.

Let's start by just putting some of the decline in performance on Morris so that this doesn't come across as a "don't blame Morris" post, because that's not the point I'm trying to make here. The point I'm making is how much is on Morris and how much is on other factors?
They also lost Aubrey Pleasant, and this board has often credited/blamed Oline coaches for the success and failure of McVay's offense, so I'm just pointing out the perceived value of position coaches is pretty high.

I'm not sure how you get that Fuller was better last year, to be honest. At worst, he's as good as he was last year, but has played more because he's been healthy. To assess his play, you need to also add he's the play caller this season, with more responsibilities than last year.

PFF has Fuller a little better than last year and Rapp a little worse.

Jalen Ramsey is still Jalen Ramsey.

Darious Williams went from an 80 pff to 65 this year.

They lost the players with the two highest snap counts, not only in the defensive secondary, but on the entire defense in JJ and Hill.
That's 1926 snaps lost in the secondary.. JJ was graded an 85.6 and Hill 74.2

The Snaps lost at Safety were made up for by a guy with a 65 score and a guy with a 47 score. Scott had a higher score the year before.. was that good coaching, or proper placement and exposure?

Rapp went from 365 snaps on a team that could afford to use him almost exclusively underneath.. to 1114 snaps.
365 in 20

Nick Scott 193 snaps alongside JJ and Fuller.. to 413 alongside Fuller and Rapp.

David Long 116 snaps to 515.
DD didn't get a single snap last year.

I can accept that there are scheme and coaching issues.

But I also think there are significant personnel issues in the secondary that no scheme or amount of coaching will fix.

Good points on the snap counts. It's like everything got shifted ever so slightly out of position and then the end results are much worse in terms of play. Williams is a good slot DB...but when he plays outside he is worse...so do that for almost all of the DB's and this hodge podge is what we are left with.... A lot of players playing similar positions but maybe not the ones they are able to excel at. Someone on the ramsrule forum pointed this out early in the season and said it's not the system or Morris that are completely at fault...its the players too. How many missed tackles did we have this year? How many were because players were slightly out of position and how many were because the fundamentals were weak? This is complicated in some ways but simple in others.

I don't like this system that Staley developed and it can easily be gamed by just running the ball. The idea behind it is to frustrate a qb into mistakes because he is dinking and dunking for 12play drives. The answer to this defense is what Shanny decided to do...run it at them all day because it's open. I think this will go down in history as one of the shortest lived schemes...even shorter than the 46 Defense of the Bears. At least that defensive system required some real skill to beat. This one just requires patience and a running game...almost any team can do that if they want to.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think it had to do with Morris. He's basically the secondary lead.
Whatever happened here had an impact.
Was it Morris wanting to take over that role, or was it Pleasant thinking it was time to move on? Pleasant was cornerbacks coach and at Detroit he's "DBs and passing game coordinator", the same role that Evero has on the Rams. The Rams also moved Cooley into an assistant DB coach this year.

Evero got a title and responsibility upgrade... was he picked over Pleasant?

I'm just not sure it's about Morris as it is about those guys and navigating their careers upward.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's what they thought, they were wrong. Expecting him to learn the new defense, call plays, and replace a full time DB coach was a mistake.
I agree it was a lot. Whether it was a mistake remains to be seen though. This season isn't over yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I saw that San Fran ran the ball 3 times, forcing Dallas to use their 3 timeouts, but passed up a chance to convert a 3rd down that would have iced the game.
How'd that work out?

Tano

Legend
So I saw that San Fran ran the ball 3 times, forcing Dallas to use their 3 timeouts, but passed up a chance to convert a 3rd down that would have iced the game.
How'd that work out?

Dallas had a chance but Dak made a big mistake on the last play of the game.

I would rather have them not even have that chance.

Plus - it was 80 yards in 32 seconds - huge difference.

I probably would have been okay with 3 runs in that scenario.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
They lined up to go for it on 4th down after having the first down overturned too. Had they not been called for a penalty they would have went for it on 4th,

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I must be the only one that puts as much if not more of the blame on McVay and the offense. I see a dozen pages or close to it added here and that doesn't include the vent thread that's all pile on Morris. And yes the defense was very bad in the 2nd half. The offense was just as bad if not worse and it seems like people are giving McVay yet another free pass for the offense failing vs the Niners. It's a total team philosophy that's let us down which is dictated by him.
Yes, his insistent to run 3 times and give the ball back and rely on D is troubling. Our offense only needed a 1st down to end the game. He needs to be more aggressive in that situation.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
There's 49 pages on this thread.
In the past, when there's that many pages debating whether a player or coach should stay on the team, it only means one thing -- he shouldn't.
We are really missing Staley. Even with injuries I think he makes our D better, especially the secondary.
It also makes me nervous about our D in the playoffs. To be fair to Morris, our secondary is gutted right now & just saw we're bringing in Weddle for cryin' out loud. It's gonna take a miracle for us to pull out a win tonight.

LET'S GO RAMS

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's 49 pages on this thread.
In the past, when there's that many pages debating whether a player or coach should stay on the team, it only means one thing -- he shouldn't.
We are really missing Staley. Even with injuries I think he makes our D better, especially the secondary.
It also makes me nervous about our D in the playoffs. To be fair to Morris, our secondary is gutted right now & just saw we're bringing in Weddle for cryin' out loud. It's gonna take a miracle for us to pull out a win tonight.

LET'S GO RAMS

Well then your question will be answered tonight. For some reason that Rooney Rule keeps popping up?
Weird to think why? Must be because that might be the only reason why he wouldn’t be back. Then we’d all have to hear about how bad he is(was).

I’ll leave it there. Yes- Go Morris & The Rams!!