Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Sure!
And.. to be clear.. I've never said Morris is great or perfect.
I've said he's good and that he's not a problem. And... I've said all along that the defense is evolving.

Remember.. this thread started as "Fire Morris"... and THAT'S where this started.
You've never outright said he's perfect, but you adamantly refuse to accept/acknowledge/admit that he's made even one mistake all season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You've never outright said he's perfect, but you adamantly refuse to accept/acknowledge/admit that he's made even one mistake all season.
Because the "mistakes" that some point to are conceptual issues, generally.

I addressed one of these very specifically. People said Morris should've rushed 4 on second to last play of first half of second Cards game.. and that would've stopped Murray. I pointed out that Murray broke contain on a 4 man front two plays earlier.

I don't see a problem with Morris' conceptual approach, overall. I think there are times he plays a little too soft.. but have pointed out that some of those cases are very likely driven by personnel... and as the season has gone along.. and some of the DBs have performed better... he's played more up coverage.

I'm sure he's had several bad calls this season as a DC.... What DC hasn't ?????

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I think Morris has made some good changes and give credit where credit is due however I think this unit can be even better so I hope they are ascending at the right time and peak in the Superbowl!!!!

I also will add it's no coincidence that the run defense improved with Von in the mix. A lot of people writing him off sacks sacks sack he does so much more than that and the "sacks" will come if certain people watched more closely they would realize that.

Kudos and you best keep it up Mr. Morris or in the words of Vincent Kennedy McMahon "YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUR FIRED"

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I called for him to be fired earlier this year. I called him a FOS.....Friend of Sean, hire. He has sucked less than I thought and the weird part will be if the Rams win a Super Bowl, dude will become a HC somewhere else in 2022! lol

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I called for him to be fired earlier this year. I called him a FOS.....Friend of Sean, hire. He has sucked less than I thought and the weird part will be if the Rams win a Super Bowl, dude will become a HC somewhere else in 2022! lol
He was a friend type hire tbh. A risky hire. There was some projection there by Sean that he could handle the job and the pressure. The start was slow too. That is undeniable. But game to game he improved and tweaked things and changed out some of the pieces and we look right now like our defense is ready for the playoffs.

Had this not worked out it would have been on Sean. So Raheem's development and establishment as impressive as it is not only reflects well on him but the coach who hired him too.

I have no concerns now really with him. Which was not the case at the beginning of the year even into roughly the halfway point. It's almost a best-case type scenario for us and it bodes really well for our next month or so of hopes.

TexasRam

Legend
Run defense largely comes down to personnel up front. The Donald, Gains and Robinson combo is tremendous personal. Probably the leagues best vs the run. Add in Floyd and and our edge guys and it’s the greatest strength of the team.

No offense but I would not in any way give Morris credit for any run stopping metrics.

Where Morris fails is adjusting scheme in the pass game to match what his opponent is doing. Particularly the soft zones, not matching Ramsey on top WR’s and replacing our weaker players such as Long jr., Rapp, and Scott with other players.

Having said that Morris does adjust eventually and in recent games we have seen nice personnel changes such as Jones, Daeyton and Burgess. We have also seen more press and Ramsey used correctly.

The concern is that Morris isn’t a sharp top notch strategist that can dial up a game plan to defeat top offenses and or adjust in game. But we will soon see what he is made of come playoffs.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
If you can run the ball, stop the run and pass rush oh what a winning recipe that is. Ask the 85 Bears

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He was a friend type hire tbh. A risky hire. There was some projection there by Sean that he could handle the job and the pressure. The start was slow too. That is undeniable. But game to game he improved and tweaked things and changed out some of the pieces and we look right now like our defense is ready for the playoffs.

Had this not worked out it would have been on Sean. So Raheem's development and establishment as impressive as it is not only reflects well on him but the coach who hired him too.

I have no concerns now really with him. Which was not the case at the beginning of the year even into roughly the halfway point. It's almost a best-case type scenario for us and it bodes really well for our next month or so of hopes.
Yup.
If Raheem failed.. it would've represented much more of a failure of process than failure of Raheem.

The way it was going, it could've been ugly.
15 games into the season, this is an 11 win team with a good defense. Speaks well to McVay's judgement.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Run defense largely comes down to personnel up front. The Donald, Gains and Robinson combo is tremendous personal. Probably the leagues best vs the run. Add in Floyd and and our edge guys and it’s the greatest strength of the team.

No offense but I would not in any way give Morris credit for any run stopping metrics.

Where Morris fails is adjusting scheme in the pass game to match what his opponent is doing. Particularly the soft zones, not matching Ramsey on top WR’s and replacing our weaker players such as Long jr., Rapp, and Scott with other players.

Having said that Morris does adjust eventually and in recent games we have seen nice personnel changes such as Jones, Daeyton and Burgess. We have also seen more press and Ramsey used correctly.

The concern is that Morris isn’t a sharp top notch strategist that can dial up a game plan to defeat top offenses and or adjust in game. But we will soon see what he is made of come playoffs.
So..
The run game success is because of personnel and any pass game failure is because of coaching.

Got it.

I'm sorry, but the criticism of Raheem and refusal to acknowledged things like.. his secondary personnel this year was seriously flawed.. is one of the reasons I keep going on this thread.

Yeah... when they're good, it's not because of him.. when they're bad, it's because of him.

Amazing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’ll totally disagree.

We will see what happens.Morris knows his players & coaching staff. Henderson imo has been Excellent as the DLine coach. I also liked the old DL coach Johnson.He was good for the first 3 seasons with WF.
AD99 is one of The Best of All-Time,but his relationship with Henderson is special. Greg Gaines & A’ Robinson didn’t just improve over night. SJD69 was missed during the Lossing streak.

What about Hollins ?

To say RAMsey isn’t covering teams best WR is a little ridiculous if you look at in games situations,so you got me there.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am still unsure about Morris.

The defence has been outstanding lately - particularly in the trenches. Morris seems to have fixed the run D deficiencies, which is invaluable.

I also like how Morris seems to be matching up Ramsey on opposing WR1s more often now, and playing defensive backs more aggressively in general. In regards to the latter point, David Long's improvement has been a particularly noticeable. Happily, Morris seems to be learning and adapting to his players.

But Morris has still not convinced me that he can scheme anything up to stop a methodical QB from completely picking apart the Rams secondary with short and intermediate range passes.

The Rams faced a few good QBs in December (Kyler Murray and Russel Wilson), but of the explosive passing and scramble-able variety that you need to keep contain on. The last time the Rams faced a methodical passer (Rodgers, Jimmy G), we were embarrassed. I don't consider Kirk Cousins with an injured Adam Thielen to count for much.

Has Morris fixed this literally fatal flaw of any short-to-mid range pass being an automatic completion, by making necessary tweaks to his stem and learning how to better utilise his roster? Or.... is this a ticking time-bomb waiting to explode, masked by the style of opposition QB we have faced lately? Time will tell. Likely, we will not get our answer until the playoffs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am still unsure about Morris.

The defence has been outstanding lately - particularly in the trenches. Morris seems to have fixed the run D deficiencies, which is invaluable.

I also like how Morris seems to be matching up Ramsey on opposing WR1s more often now, and playing defensive backs more aggressively in general. In regards to the latter point, David Long's improvement has been a particularly noticeable. Happily, Morris seems to be learning and adapting to his players.

But Morris has still not convinced me that he can scheme anything up to stop a methodical QB from completely picking apart the Rams secondary with short and intermediate range passes.

The Rams faced a few good QBs in December (Kyler Murray and Russel Wilson), but of the explosive passing and scramble-able variety that you need to keep contain on. The last time the Rams faced a methodical passer (Rodgers, Jimmy G), we were embarrassed. I don't consider Kirk Cousins with an injured Adam Thielen to count for much.

Has Morris fixed this literally fatal flaw of any short-to-mid range pass being an automatic completion, by making necessary tweaks to his stem and learning how to better utilise his roster? Or.... is this a ticking time-bomb waiting to explode, masked by the style of opposition QB we have faced lately? Time will tell. Likely, we will not get our answer until the playoffs.

Same fatal flaw as last year's team... the 9ers and Packers.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Both Morris and Stafford are gonna establish some shit in these playoffs. They both have some storylines that are gonna be written and it's gonna be based on how things happen on the field.

I was real concerned with Morris given how shit looked through midseason, but I think he's gonna be able to handle himself in the playoffs. This unit is playing hard. They're hustling. Not really thinking any more. That's really important. He's gonna have to solve some really tough offenses too. Packers are so tough, can hurt you in both phases. Dallas is so explosive, we're gonna need to get to Dak or we're up shit creek when we play them. Cards aren't gonna lie down, and they're one hot game from Murray away from being all we can handle. And so on. NFC has some nasty and explosive offenses.

This year's team is really a unique blend. The fact we're still waiting for their best game and here we are at 11-4 is crazy.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The D has definitely been better lately, but that’s still the question. He has to show us that he can be effective with our players against the death by 1000 cuts offenses that really killed us against the 9ers and the Packers.

The improvement is defy acknowledged, but that last question could be the one that stand’s between the Rams and the Lombardi trophy.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Same fatal flaw as last year's team... the 9ers and Packers.
Different problem now. We look to have the personnel to stop the run that was the biggest problem with these 2 teams. Then because we couldn't stop the run all other avenues were open for these 2 teams. Now when we get them in 2nd and 3rd and long, because of our strong run D, are we going to be the soft coverage that gives up a 2nd and 20 with 18 yard pass that sets up short run for 1st down. Or a 11 yard pass on 3rd and 10 and ware down our D. Or if we have a lead, let the team back in with soft coverage. We do not know and are not convinced by the recent success. Just hopeful.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Different problem now. We look to have the personnel to stop the run that was the biggest problem with these 2 teams. Then because we couldn't stop the run all other avenues were open for these 2 teams. Now when we get them in 2nd and 3rd and long, because of our strong run D, are we going to be the soft coverage that gives up a 2nd and 20 with 18 yard pass that sets up short run for 1st down. Or a 11 yard pass on 3rd and 10 and ware down our D. Or if we have a lead, let the team back in with soft coverage. We do not know and are not convinced by the recent success. Just hopeful.
Oh..
So there was a personnel problem before...

Lol

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Oh..
So there was a personnel problem before...

Lol
We lost AD in for the packer game and against the 9ers, we just don't get it done. Still every bodies biggest worry is what I just stated in the last post. But keep on ignoring a good argument that you know calls out the truth, to pick on something else. You argue like my exwife.