Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And the defensive backs dropping back into a deep zone and on some of those plays only two and three pass rushers. It’s prevent. Don’t allow big plays. But it was too soon. Too much time was left on the clock.
Okay.
Like I said, bad drive.
It was the only TD drive given up by the D and they dialed up everything right, other than that, imo.

It's a good defense.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The crazy thing here is I don't know that this defense has played their best ball yet this year. They retooled the defensive front when they made room for Jones, added Miller, and started giving Gaines big snap counts. Now we have one of the best fronts in the game but that back end is still settling a bit.

I think our weakness is in the middle of the defensive backfield basically. That and our corners doing dumb shit which may or may not be related to how they prep. But over the past few games they have collectively been playing better, more as a group on one sheet of music. So it is possible this unit is ready to make a run in these playoffs.

I sure hope so because our offense is good but not great. Our greatest chance to get this done is behind our defense and a balanced attack with Michel mashing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The crazy thing here is I don't know that this defense has played their best ball yet this year. They retooled the defensive front when they made room for Jones, added Miller, and started giving Gaines big snap counts. Now we have one of the best fronts in the game but that back end is still settling a bit.

I think our weakness is in the middle of the defensive backfield basically. That and our corners doing dumb shit which may or may not be related to how they prep. But over the past few games they have collectively been playing better, more as a group on one sheet of music. So it is possible this unit is ready to make a run in these playoffs.

I sure hope so because our offense is good but not great. Our greatest chance to get this done is behind great defense and a balanced attack with Michel mashing.
I agree.. I think the D keeps getting better by the game. Communication on the back end is a big deal. I feel like Morris is trusting the other guys more... I haven't seen the stats but am very curious what percentage of plays Ramsey was on JJ. Feels like it was more than Adams, but we'll see.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Can't understate how big it was to get all those 3-and-outs yesterday early and then getting the penalty on the possession that resulted in the ST TD...that was huge coming when it did.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I agree.. I think the D keeps getting better by the game. Communication on the back end is a big deal. I feel like Morris is trusting the other guys more... I haven't seen the stats but am very curious what percentage of plays Ramsey was on JJ. Feels like it was more than Adams, but we'll see.
I thought he was on JJ a lot, very high percentage early and into the 3rd, afterward he took on his star roll. The D is absolutely improving on a weekly basis and credit has to start with the coaching. The players look much more comfortable as a whole specifically DW &TR, I bring them up because they seemed to be the 2 we really needed to get it together. The DL is making a huge impact on how the back end holds up. Props where it belongs, I would like to see them continue to grow and maybe be a little less conservative with a lg lead or lateish in the game. Overall bravo over the past few weeks

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
While I think Morris is calling better games and using his players to their strengths more often than not. I still see the Rams enter the shell defense every damn time they have a lead in the 4tu quarter, and I hate it! Not only does it make our defense look enept, we're actually giving teams a chance to make a comeback. I know the Rams are huge on analytics but I can't help but think that prevent defenses just don't work well unless it's a last olay of a game.
I must have watched Ramsey get frustrated more times than not when the Vikings got into Field goal range in like 3 plays due to the soft zone.
And I don't blame him. There has to be a better way to finish games because when we play the Packers that shit WONT WORK

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Yup.

I would say that multiple people are stepping up a level. Jones was starting to.. Gaines, for sure, Long has been better, Williams (before yesterday), Scott... a whole host of guys.

The unit is growing together.
Darius really lost himself a lot of money this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
While I think Morris is calling better games and using his players to their strengths more often than not. I still see the Rams enter the shell defense every damn time they have a lead in the 4tu quarter, and I hate it! Not only does it make our defense look enept, we're actually giving teams a chance to make a comeback. I know the Rams are huge on analytics but I can't help but think that prevent defenses just don't work well unless it's a last olay of a game.
I must have watched Ramsey get frustrated more times than not when the Vikings got into Field goal range in like 3 plays due to the soft zone.
And I don't blame him. There has to be a better way to finish games because when we play the Packers that shit WONT WORK
I'll say the same thing I have in the past...
How do you know what he was upset about? How do you know they weren't in the right coverage, but someone missed their cue? Etc.. etc.. etc...

They had one bad drive and corrected. The defense played HUGE on short fields and got a turnover in the red zone.

Rams D was fine against the Pack.. good enough to win.
You give up 19 points on turnovers and you're not winning anything. Period.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Darius really lost himself a lot of money this year.
Probably!
It's interesting to me that Hill got the start and majority of snaps ahead of him, late in the season.
He's just a little inconsistent.. and can absolutely be overpowered. Go watch Tampa game last year where Evans big brother's him and Long... ugly.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Probably!
It's interesting to me that Hill got the start and majority of snaps ahead of him, late in the season.
He's just a little inconsistent.. and can absolutely be overpowered. Go watch Tampa game last year where Evans big brother's him and Long... ugly.
Yep. Agreed. He seems to be getting beat and looking out of position more times than not anymore.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I thought he was on JJ a lot, very high percentage early and into the 3rd, afterward he took on his star roll. The D is absolutely improving on a weekly basis and credit has to start with the coaching. The players look much more comfortable as a whole specifically DW &TR, I bring them up because they seemed to be the 2 we really needed to get it together. The DL is making a huge impact on how the back end holds up. Props where it belongs, I would like to see them continue to grow and maybe be a little less conservative with a lg lead or lateish in the game. Overall bravo over the past few weeks
I'd be working with Williams right now on his eyes if I'm the Rams secondary coach. He needs to get back to where he can peak at the QB without losing his man. It's a tough balance too because Williams is the kind of ballhawk you want knowing when the pass is coming. But if he's gonna be losing awareness of the receiver something's gotta give.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay.
Like I said, bad drive.
It was the only TD drive given up by the D and they dialed up everything right, other than that, imo.

It's a good defense.
Which one? They changed up once they went up by 14 points. Didn’t you see the difference?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Which one? They changed up once they went up by 14 points. Didn’t you see the difference?
They let up one TD drive.
And I literally have the game up on another screen. They didn't give up that drive on dink and dunks to WRs.. screens got them.. Morris rushed 5 and they popped the RB out on one with perfect blocking and the TE on another.. same thing.

Just because they gave up a bad drive, doesn't mean they changed what they're doing the way you suggest. Go watch the drive. Minny has enough talent to put together something like that once in a while.. their inconsistency is their consistency.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The Rams have had their fair share..
more than there fair share of injuries and COVID but we did catch a bit of a break yesterday just alone with Thielen being hurt and when he played he was probably 50% at best and no cook was huge. So I'm happy we won it should have been a lot easier but ton this case the offense made it more difficult than it should have been but just like other times it's a team game and this time the defense and special teams picked us up.

On to the next. Now the Ravens are decimated by injury will they have Lamar back and they can level out the playing field of mother nature gets involved so this will be interesting.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And I literally have the game up on another screen. They didn't give up that drive on dink and dunks to WRs.. screens got them.. Morris rushed 5 and they popped the RB out on one with perfect blocking and the TE on another.. same thing.

Just because they gave up a bad drive, doesn't mean they changed what they're doing the way you suggest. Go watch the drive. Minny has enough talent to put together something like that once in a while.. their inconsistency is their consistency.
If what you say is true then every team the Rams played with a decent QB could have carved them up every game with the same tactics the Vikings used on that drive.

In several games in the third or fourth quarter the Rams backed off and played a deeper zone They were content to allow short gains so the opponent used up the clock, even if it resulted in a score because the Rams had a two score lead or more.

Their db coverages have changed most of the season to several packages each game. Sometimes it was man, sometimes zone and sometimes both. They usually rushed four or five but sometimes rushed three. Morris isn’t Pete Carroll. He doesn’t just run one defense all game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay.
Like I said, bad drive.

It's a good defense.
And I’m not complaining about the defense as a whole. They played much better once Morris stopped being so conservative and fearing the big play. I just don’t like them letting off pressure as early in some games.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If what you say is true then every team the Rams played with a decent QB could have carved them up every game with the same tactics the Vikings used on that drive.

In several games in the third or fourth quarter the Rams backed off and played a deeper zone They were content to allow short gains so the opponent used up the clock, even if it resulted in a score because the Rams had a two score lead or more.

Their db coverages have changed most of the season to several packages each game. Sometimes it was man, sometimes zone and sometimes both. They usually rushed four or five but sometimes rushed three. Morris isn’t Pete Carroll. He doesn’t just run one defense all game.

I just watched the scoring drive against the Vikings and told you what they did. And it wasn't a some prevent dome.

As for this..

"If what you say is true then every team the Rams played with a decent QB could have carved them up every game with the same tactics the Vikings used on that drive."

It's the NFL.. teams can get hot on a drive.
Did you miss Seattle's first possession of the second half in the most recent game against them?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And I’m not complaining about the defense as a whole. They played much better once Morris stopped being so conservative and fearing the big play. I just don’t like them letting off pressure as early in some games.
I don't think they have the back-end talent to shut teams down completely. I think that Morris had to work with what he had at the start of the year and has developed them into a pretty good unit.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm laughing right now... listening to Jourdan and Rich rolling their eyes at the "Fire Raheem" people who keep saying it, even now.

Yes, I'm aware that they can be wrong as well.. but, in this case, Jourdan brings a lot of different metrics to show just how much better they are now.