Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
He broke contain on a 4 rush two plays before.
Floyd was in position to make a play to keep them out of range and didn't make it. I repeat... THE PLAYER WAS IN POSITION TO MAKE A PLAY.... what else is a coordinator supposed to do than that? If Floyd forces Murray inside.. clock runs out.. if Floyd just gets to the edge a little quicker and nudges Murray.. they're out of FG range.

No.. I'm not in a narrative, I'm watching the game.
If you're not protecting your narrative, why can't you acknowledge that he maybe made one bad play call? He's a DC not a god-emperor. He can make mistakes. It's okay to admit that he's made 1 mistake on 1 play. But whatever dude.

He's become a lot better over the last couple of games. I'm hopeful he can carry this through. Good job believing in him when there was no reason to. It's paid off now that he's actually delivering at an acceptable level.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If you're not protecting your narrative, why can't you acknowledge that he maybe made one bad play call? He's a DC not a god-emperor. He can make mistakes. It's okay to admit that he's made 1 mistake on 1 play. But whatever dude.

He's become a lot better over the last couple of games. I'm hopeful he can carry this through. Good job believing in him when there was no reason to. It's paid off now that he's actually delivering at an acceptable level.
Merry Christmas!
Hey, here's the thing.. the thing the guy criticizing Raheem said to do was done two plays before and Murray broke contain on that.

Sometimes.. players make plays.. and defensive players need to make better plays. Floyd was placed in the perfect position to stop Murray before he got into FG range.. or keep him in bounds. He didn't get it done.

You can call *any* successful play by an offense a "mistake" by a D coordinator if you want to. It doesn't mean it is.

God Emperor is a really good book... The Duncan Gholas are a great character.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Gaines being behind someone was always questionable.
Not really.
SJD is a damn good football player and is still better against the run than Gaines. But Gaines is absolutely a better penetrator and Gaines has kept improving.. just like SJD did.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The back end simply needs to cover the first couple reads and force QBs to hold the ball long enough for our front to do their thing. No matter how much excuse making goes on around here that was not the case early this season. It's that old front/back coordination thing. They have to complement one another.

You can play a stay back bend but don't break approach if you have a shitty front. Basically exchange yards for time and try to keep TDs down. But when you have this defensive front, that is not the option that favors the talent on the field. Period. Morris has done a much better job of late of making QBs hold the ball and if that continues this defense is going to be just fine. Because the strides they've made vs the run helps load up more third and long situations on top of that. It's working and should keep working as long as he keeps calling it well.
Yeah.. this just ignores the fact that Long was an absolute disaster to start the season and D Williams wasn't playing well either.. and they have Rapp as one of the starting safeties instead of JJ.
Morris has brought his defensive backfield along as the season has moved along... and incorporated a rookie ILB. DD couldn't even get on the gameday roster last year, but he's corner #3 on this team. There's a big gap in talent from last year on the back end.
It's taking some shape.. Long may be playing just well enough not to be a complete liability and DD is getting the most out of his 5-7 and 165lbs. Rapp is still Rapp.. and Scott isn't someone you can count on, imo. But.. maybe.. last week was the corner turn for Scott. Maybe.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
One thing I noticed in the last few games, and correct me if I'm wrong. But the zebras actually called holding on our opponents and they had 1st a 20 a few times. It's like the Rams play so soft that they are conceding 8 yards. Then it becomes 2nd and 12. They run for 5 or 6 yards and wind up in 3rd 6 or 3rd and 7.

I don't like that concession of 7-8 yards after a penalty. I can understand that strategy on 3rd and 15 but not on early downs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
One thing I noticed in the last few games, and correct me if I'm wrong. But the zebras actually called holding on our opponents and they had 1st a 20 a few times. It's like the Rams play so soft that they are conceding 8 yards. Then it becomes 2nd and 12. They run for 5 or 6 yards and wind up in 3rd 6 or 3rd and 7.

I don't like that concession of 7-8 yards after a penalty. I can understand that strategy on 3rd and 15 but not on early downs.

Yeah, I'm more partial to an aggressive D as well and especially with how many teams go for it on 4th down these days, if you get a team in 3rd and 8 and they get 6-7 yards... chances are they're going for it and it's awful hard to stop those 1-2 yard plays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams have been depleted in the secondary the last couple of weeks from COVID.
The Rams held the Seahawks to less points than in either of the regular season games last year.

Morris is doing a solid job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well - ? ? There has always been reason to believe in Raheem Morris!

If anyone listens to him at his press conferences would know he has a bigger purpose than one or many poor play calls.

He challenges his players & gives credit to his coaches(peers) constantly.He helps & holds Sean Mcvay accountable more than any coach on his staff(?), at least from a hindsight of there relationships.

Your post & points were solid.Imo though there has never been a reason
to doubt him as a DC.He might not be the best around The NFL,but probably The Best DC for The Rams.I believe he is a blessing & better than Staley for the future.

Like I’ve always said he will be a Rams DC for awhile.I believe he would(wants) like to be a college HC for all the right reasons(many),but because his focus is on The Big Prize it will be hard to get.A HC in The NFL is a possibility,but it has always been hard for winning team coordinators to get those jobs.

the above could all be BS,but don’t be surprised if it is some what right on track.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I'm more partial to an aggressive D as well and especially with how many teams go for it on 4th down these days, if you get a team in 3rd and 8 and they get 6-7 yards... chances are they're going for it and it's awful hard to stop those 1-2 yard plays.

The Rams have done well against 4th down. Your right about it being tough though & The Rams paid for it against the 9ers(TD)(1st.downs) & GB((TD)(1st downs).
Reeder totally got used against Rogers. That is what he is best at & Matt Lefleur both ruthless find a weak link & attacking it.TRoy Reeder still didn’t know what happened after the game,until he got less playing time & saw film.

Tano

Legend
The Rams have done well against 4th down. Your right about it being tough though & The Rams paid for it against the 9ers(TD)(1st.downs) & GB((TD)(1st downs).
Reeder totally got used against Rogers. That is what he is best at & Matt Lefleur both ruthless find a weak link & attacking it.TRoy Reeder still didn’t know what happened after the game,until he got less playing time & saw film.
What do you mean? I still feel I played well in the GB game and did a good job << Reeder

Tano

Legend
Merry Christmas!
Hey, here's the thing.. the thing the guy criticizing Raheem said to do was done two plays before and Murray broke contain on that.

Sometimes.. players make plays.. and defensive players need to make better plays. Floyd was placed in the perfect position to stop Murray before he got into FG range.. or keep him in bounds. He didn't get it done.

You can call *any* successful play by an offense a "mistake" by a D coordinator if you want to. It doesn't mean it is.

God Emperor is a really good book... The Duncan Gholas are a great character.
I thought God Emperor was so slow. The only Dune book that I had a really tough time getting thru. I probably need to read it again.

As to Morris, you asked me which plays I thought were asinine in the game and that was the main one. I still don't like it called with more than 6 seconds left in the half. Gives the QB too much time to do something if he is a mobile QB. And we gave up a FG in the game when they had zero time outs left and they needed to go at minimum 20 yards. with 10 seconds left,

I would have been okay with the call if it had less than 6 seconds on the clock.

Floyd had shown throughout the game that he could not keep up with Murray and kept losing contain on him. But I still feel 4 guys rushing and a spy had a much better chance of keeping contain and putting pressure on him than 2 guys and a spy. Of course I have always liked an aggressive defense than a soft defense especially if you have the players. Donald Miller Gaines Ramsey Floyd Fuller Jones Miller Williams more than make up for the weakness in the other areas of the defense imho. I say play aggressively and see if you can get turnovers. But that's my style and why I don't really care for Morris system.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams have been depleted in the secondary the last couple of weeks from COVID.
The Rams held the Seahawks to less points than in either of the regular season games last year.

Morris is doing a solid job.

The thing I’m enjoying is Ernest Jones’s development. He is still not as strong as he needs to be,but his understanding of the game as a young rookie MLB is off the charts.The coaching staff keeps seeing how much this sponge can handle. Still only 22.

Justin Hollins has made a couple of plays & been in positions that he will only thrive on.These guys games are(have) improving so much.

The Rams coaching staff is doing a solid job.Morris has bought into the WE not ME whole thing.

Saw a saying The Rams have painted in a food court area about WE & scheme. Then it’s about the people that make it? I’ll find the little quote.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought God Emperor was so slow. The only Dune book that I had a really tough time getting thru. I probably need to read it again.

As to Morris, you asked me which plays I thought were asinine in the game and that was the main one. I still don't like it called with more than 6 seconds left in the half. Gives the QB too much time to do something if he is a mobile QB. And we gave up a FG in the game when they had zero time outs left and they needed to go at minimum 20 yards. with 10 seconds left,

I would have been okay with the call if it had less than 6 seconds on the clock.

Floyd had shown throughout the game that he could not keep up with Murray and kept losing contain on him. But I still feel 4 guys rushing and a spy had a much better chance of keeping contain and putting pressure on him than 2 guys and a spy. Of course I have always liked an aggressive defense than a soft defense especially if you have the players. Donald Miller Gaines Ramsey Floyd Fuller Jones Miller Williams more than make up for the weakness in the other areas of the defense imho. I say play aggressively and see if you can get turnovers. But that's my style and why I don't really care for Morris system.

Greg FREAKING Gaines has made Morris look good. Gaines only thanks him for the opportunity to make that play to tackle Murray.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I think a lot of the criticism stems from how fortunate the Rams were last year to have hit with a top defensive coach in Staley. He matched well with the player set and it resulted in the success the defense had almost the entire year.

Had Morris taken over for the middle of the pack Phillips defense I personally would have likely had a different mindset. When you take over the number 1 ranked defense you have pretty unfair standards to try and maintain.

Morris is above average in my opinion. Not great but pretty solid and not flashy. He is pretty steady and you pretty well know what you are getting. Yards given up will be high but points relatively low. Frustrating at times but at the end of the game you look at the scoreboard and know if the offense shows up it was a good enough defensive effort.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I understand where you're coming from and I would say that boils down to having a different approach than you'd prefer, but, as I pointed out, suggesting one way was right and the other was wrong doesn't really track.

Morris isn't passive, he mixes it up and blitzed more than Staley. He's mixing coverages more every game as his guys get more comfortable.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
crickets GIF

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has settled in rather nicely of late. If he keeps it up we should have a fun playoffs and he'll either get a HC job or we'll have a good returning DC who should be better in year two. Win win.

If not then McVay will move on in the form of an agreed splitting of ways, at least in how it's sold to the media. Either way Morris' future is all about how well he navigates the next month and a half of football.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, if he continues to get this group to rally, he'll likely be in the HC hunt.

If they don't, he may get let go, but we'll see. A LOT of football left to be played.