Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes, I saw how the play went down. Miller came in free and the short little fucker ducked out. AD cleaned up. AD is pretty fast.

Yep - which is awesome. Talk about Mentoring as well. Brockers was great,but now AD99 is The MAN!!!

Morgan Fox was so solid & Greg Gaines has worked so hard to get to playing at such a high level.

Von Miller being a Ram is priceless.Whit is Ram(Man) of 2021,but Von Miller is all that on & off the Field.

I also say SJD69 was playing at such a high level as well. A” Robinson is going to be a Big Factor against the SeaHags. He is going to be Stout Against The Run.

Raheem Morris brings excellent leadership as well.As much as anyone wants to say against him as a DC. He is such a good Lockeroom guy & he knows what the uLTIMATE goal is.It’s not how you start.It’s how you finish & about Winning.

Morris is McVays Big Bro,which is priceless. The Grandsons of Bum & The Don are nice pieces to the coaching staff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outstanding performance tonight from Morris and company. Still don't like our CB situation and haven't all year but this was a very good game tonight against a tough division opponent.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Outstanding performance tonight from Morris and company. Still don't like our CB situation and haven't all year but this was a very good game tonight against a tough division opponent.
Yeah I want another corner in this draft tbh. Even if Rochell is gonna be much better next year I'd take a shot on another one.

That and RB. I know we might get Akers back for the playoffs and all but even so I'd prioritize that too. And then beef for both sides of the line.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Morris' improvement is noteworthy. He's calling things a lot better. Still has dumb shit happen time to time like Rapp being run out of position when he should have been prioritizing Metcalf all night, that's a prep thing there. But to his cred the adjustment was made and the INT resulted there to seal it.

Really happy with how he's calling it of late and the timing is great with the playoffs right around the corner, not to mention more key matchups we have to pull out. A stifling defense will give us an excellent chance to get to the dance so hope it continues.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I want another corner in this draft tbh. Even if Rochell is gonna be much better next year I'd take a shot on another one.

That and RB. I know we might get Akers back for the playoffs and all but even so I'd prioritize that too. And then beef for both sides of the line.
Think in our discussions pre draft I wanted two and one with our first pick. But yes Long will be gone, Williams likely also. I'd wager we sign a cheap vet and draft one with a higher pick (lol 3rd or 4th round).

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I said previously that given his history there's no reason to believe he'll be very successful or run a great defense here now.

Well he's starting to give us reasons!

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
I think the D did a great job of keeping Russell in the pocket and not letting him run around. It looked obvious to me the OLB were not trying to go too hard after him and was just trying to pinch him in. Not having Lockett out there helped.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I'd say a free safety too if possible, or another corner to convert to safety.
Think in our discussions pre draft I wanted two and one with our first pick. But yes Long will be gone, Williams likely also. I'd wager we sign a cheap vet and draft one with a higher pick (lol 3rd or 4th round).
Unless Williams from 2020 shows up soon, I think that leaving the Rams is no longer a guarantee.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think Morris' improvement is noteworthy. He's calling things a lot better. Still has dumb shit happen time to time like Rapp being run out of position when he should have been prioritizing Metcalf all night, that's a prep thing there. But to his cred the adjustment was made and the INT resulted there to seal it.

Really happy with how he's calling it of late and the timing is great with the playoffs right around the corner, not to mention more key matchups we have to pull out. A stifling defense will give us an excellent chance to get to the dance so hope it continues.
The last 2 games were Morris and the Ds best games. No coincidence it was the second time we played them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Seems to me that down so many players, Morris had to focus on team defense instead of the Iso basketball-esque defense that didn’t have us playing together

I can only hope that as he gets players back, he doesn’t revert seeing as it’s all bare knuckle brawls from here on out

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems to me that down so many players, Morris had to focus on team defense instead of the Iso basketball-esque defense that didn’t have us playing together

I can only hope that as he gets players back, he doesn’t revert seeing as it’s all bare knuckle brawls from here on out
Add in that with a limited secondary, he's relied on more pressure packages to get to the Quarterback. Still, Morris to me is that woman in between the one once loved and the future woman you're going to fall in love with again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Glad to see more coming around on Morris.
@oldnotdead ... as far as I can tell.. the Rams have been pattern-matching a bunch in zone this year, like last year... maybe not having JJ and Hill impacted that a little, as well as Williams being hurt twice? Preseason and early season? People downplay losing Hill.. but seem to have forgotten that Hill was actually the starter ahead of Williams a couple of times late last season.. in week 16 last year.. Hill played 100% of the snaps to Williams 62%. The drop from Hill to Deayon is very significant.. although DD has made a great effort and is respectable. Luckily Eskridge is only 5-9 lol. Nick Scott played, by far, his best game of the season on Tuesday.

Where some people are locked in their analysis that Morris is bad and committed to a bad defensive concept... I see a guy who was working to integrate new players, including rookies, into an evolving concept. If he's a bad coach... he's accidentally coached Fuller, DD, Gaines and more into incredible seasons.

Morris isn't a defensive genius, but he's a good football coach and wayyyyy more flexible than some posters seem to believe.

As for 4 man fronts the Rams are running more of? GOOD!!! If you can get pressure with a 4 man front, that's the effing Holy Grail these days. But.. I saw plenty of true 3-4 alignments in the Seattle game, for sure. The Rams are "multiple".. which is the biggest buzzword aside from "2 high" and "quarters" these days.

Morris is doing a good job. Young players and less experienced players are improving.. some players are exploding (Gaines and Fuller).. This D lost 6 players.. that's a thing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Kupp,

This is the primary dumbass play I was referring to

View attachment 50330

You just don't rush 2 pass rushers especially against someone like Kyler

You just don't.

I would call this a dumbass play if Belicheat or Staley ran it.

This is just an awful awful play and nothing you say will change my mind about it.

When I originally saw it - I said to myself - what the hell - don't do that aaaaaaahhhhhhh

Welp here comes the field goal try

I would have been okay with rushing 4 and keeping a spy

Oh.
Now go two plays before when they rushed 4 and Murray broke that contain.

Floyd was in position to force Murray to stay inside and keep the clock running... or to push him out ten yards farther up the field. He couldn't get it done on that play. Oh... Floyd was in a staggered "spy" role there.. so.. .yeah.

It happens.

But the idea that there's some kind of certainty that a 4 person rush would've ABSOLUTELY provided a better result is 100% bullshit.. because Murray broke that two plays before.

You don't like the concept.... fine.. doesn't mean for a second that it's a wrong concept.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
See, that's just doing what you're saying others are doing: meeting the narrative regardless of the evidence. When playing running QBs you have to keep contain or you give up huge chunks of yardage. You can't keep contain with only 2 rushers. It was a bad play call. It's one play. You can't even admit he called one suboptimal play?
He broke contain on a 4 rush two plays before.
Floyd was in position to make a play to keep them out of range and didn't make it. I repeat... THE PLAYER WAS IN POSITION TO MAKE A PLAY.... what else is a coordinator supposed to do than that? If Floyd forces Murray inside.. clock runs out.. if Floyd just gets to the edge a little quicker and nudges Murray.. they're out of FG range.

No.. I'm not in a narrative, I'm watching the game.

TexasRam

Legend
Glad to see more coming around on Morris.
@oldnotdead ... as far as I can tell.. the Rams have been pattern-matching a bunch in zone this year, like last year... maybe not having JJ and Hill impacted that a little, as well as Williams being hurt twice? Preseason and early season? People downplay losing Hill.. but seem to have forgotten that Hill was actually the starter ahead of Williams a couple of times late last season.. in week 16 last year.. Hill played 100% of the snaps to Williams 62%. The drop from Hill to Deayon is very significant.. although DD has made a great effort and is respectable. Luckily Eskridge is only 5-9 lol. Nick Scott played, by far, his best game of the season on Tuesday.

Where some people are locked in their analysis that Morris is bad and committed to a bad defensive concept... I see a guy who was working to integrate new players, including rookies, into an evolving concept. If he's a bad coach... he's accidentally coached Fuller, DD, Gaines and more into incredible seasons.

Morris isn't a defensive genius, but he's a good football coach and wayyyyy more flexible than some posters seem to believe.

As for 4 man fronts the Rams are running more of? GOOD!!! If you can get pressure with a 4 man front, that's the effing Holy Grail these days. But.. I saw plenty of true 3-4 alignments in the Seattle game, for sure. The Rams are "multiple".. which is the biggest buzzword aside from "2 high" and "quarters" these days.

Morris is doing a good job. Young players and less experienced players are improving.. some players are exploding (Gaines and Fuller).. This D lost 6 players.. that's a thing.
Fuller exploding? By what metric?

That seems a little questionable.

Gaines only emerged because SjD got hurt. Kind of hard to assign Morris credit there. More lucky.

We got lucky with the Locket Covid situation and Metcalf dealing with some injuries as well.

But I’ll give Morris credit. I am seeing more press coverage and some adjustments. Do I have confidence he is going to be able to dial up winning gameplans in the playoffs? Uh no. His track record shows he is suspect and slow to adjust.

But here is to hoping I am wrong

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Fuller exploding? By what metric?

That seems a little questionable.

Gaines only emerged because SjD got hurt. Kind of hard to assign Morris credit there. More lucky.

We got lucky with the Locket Covid situation and Metcalf dealing with some injuries as well.

But I’ll give Morris credit. I am seeing more press coverage and some adjustments. Do I have confidence he is going to be able to dial up winning gameplans in the playoffs? Uh no. His track record shows he is suspect and slow to adjust.

But here is to hoping I am wrong
Gaines is on the roster.. no?
So... coaching.. scheme matters to the actual players you actually coach and deploy.. no? This is exactly one of those things that if you liked the coach.. you'd say.. ."hey.. look at him coaching up the backups!"
But.. no.. it's his fault for not playing Gaines sooner. I guess Staley fucked that up too.

Fuller's been fantastic this season.. he hasn't gotten picks.. but has been incredibly solid. Really nice PFF grade.. improved overall from last year, for sure.. and leads the team in tackles.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The back end simply needs to cover the first couple reads and force QBs to hold the ball long enough for our front to do their thing. No matter how much excuse making goes on around here that was not the case early this season. It's that old front/back coordination thing. They have to complement one another.

You can play a stay back bend but don't break approach if you have a shitty front. Basically exchange yards for time and try to keep TDs down. But when you have this defensive front, that is not the option that favors the talent on the field. Period. Morris has done a much better job of late of making QBs hold the ball and if that continues this defense is going to be just fine. Because the strides they've made vs the run helps load up more third and long situations on top of that. It's working and should keep working as long as he keeps calling it well.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also and btw you don't have to play man coverage to get DBs on receiving targets underneath. Calling a zone with pattern matching achieves the same thing. Some of it of course comes down to the corners too. But we have the pieces of that there is no doubt in my mind.

Ellard80

Legend
Defense has been better.. but this is all similar to the patterns of last year as well.