Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That one where it was 3rd and forever and Williams was backing off and the receiver made a first down after passing the first down marker by one yard before Williams started to come back and cover the receiver
There were a couple of them iirc
I really hate those calls
But then again - I really should not get into this conversation again
You and I disagree with how Morris calls his game and that's fine
However, this game may have saved his ass.
And I hope he continues to learn from his mistakes.
I will note that Williams at his best isn't a shutdown guy, he's a splash player who will also do some dumb shit time to time. I think he's starting to show better. Early this year it was all bad tbh but now he's actually beginning to be in the right spot and making some plays.

I don't know if he'll get back to the level Staley had him playing at but it feels good just to think he might be turning a corner here. He made some good plays tonight and hopefully more are ahead as the Rams are gonna need him to make a deep playoff run.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I will note that Williams at his best isn't a shutdown guy, he's a splash player who will also do some dumb shit time to time. I think he's starting to show better. Early this year it was all bad tbh but now he's actually beginning to be in the right spot and making some plays.

I don't know if he'll get back to the level Staley had him playing at but it feels good just to think he might be turning a corner here. He made some good plays tonight and hopefully more are ahead as the Rams are gonna need him to make a deep playoff run.
The announcers said something tonight that reminded me what Williams really did that was special last year... "pattern matching".

Unless I'm mistaken.. that's where he generally shined most.. picking guys up in routes and sticking with them. Not necessarily jamming them at the line, because he's a undersized.

Maybe it's been a fit thing with Morris.. maybe he just hasn't been healthy until now.
Either way.. him playing like this.. and Long.. maybe? Figuring it out??? Along with Ramsey and DD would make a HUGE difference.
Unfortunately.. they have what they have at safety opposite Fuller. I swear... If Long actually keeps playing well and DD can contribute? I'd consider putting Ramsey on top in the 2 high at times.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That “soft shell” shit has got to go ….. the D showed what happens when we aggressive turnovers …sacks … zero run production from the cards .. I get why we switched … but if the D plays like that it’s not something you have to worry about the D is gonna shut them down .. it didn’t matter in this game in the end but down the line ? … Morris gotta unleash the dogs

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That “soft shell” shit has got to go ….. the D showed what happens when we aggressive turnovers …sacks … zero run production from the cards .. I get why we switched … but if the D plays like that it’s not something you have to worry about the D is gonna shut them down .. it didn’t matter in this game in the end but down the line ? … Morris gotta unleash the dogs
Well... as far as the front 7 goes.. Morris has been aggressive all season.
The Cards don't have the same kind of quick passing game that the 9ers and Pack pulled out against the Rams.
Kyler holds the ball longer.. and that plays into the deeper coverage at times and certainly helps the pass rush.

Morris blitzes a lot.. but I don't know that he had to blitz a ton tonight.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
When it's *part* of the coverage plan and it's mixed in.. and made to give DBs eyes on the ball... I just don't. Plenty of teams mix in coverage exactly like that.
He called a HELL of a game tonight and had his team ready to go.
I mean.. goddamn... mixing in things like Floyd dropping in coverage into exactly the right spot.. Having Jones set up perfectly for the Int (he would have at least deflected it if Donald had not)...

It was a GREAT game by the D, especially under the circumstances.
Agreed. Luckily though we had a 1 of a season drop or the prevent shit could of cost us the game.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well... as far as the front 7 goes.. Morris has been aggressive all season.
The Cards don't have the same kind of quick passing game that the 9ers and Pack pulled out against the Rams.
Kyler holds the ball longer.. and that plays into the deeper coverage at times and certainly helps the pass rush.

Morris blitzes a lot.. but I don't know that he had to blitz a ton tonight.
I don't think anybody has much to complain about or has complained about the fronts play calls. It's all about the back end and the soft shit that allows 24 yard 4th down conversions and 2nd and 20 conversions ect.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think anybody has much to complain about or has complained about the fronts play calls. It's all about the back end and the soft shit that allows 24 yard 4th down conversions and 2nd and 20 conversions ect.
I know.

I was pointing out that suggesting the approach on the front 7 changed very much isn’t accurate.

And I’ll keep going back to personnel being the issue. Nick Scott completely blew that late deep ball.

Tano

Legend
Morris did an excellent job last night on 1st down run plays and over half of their 2nd down plays but the Cardinals only punted once last night

That to me tells me that Morris still needs to change his play calling on 3rd down (especially the 3rd and long)

No way we should be giving up a 1st down on every 3rd and 8 and longer

I think we held them twice on 3rd and over 8 yards until the last couple minutes of the game and on the 1st one - Green was wide open except the pressure made Murray throw it away and the other one was 3rd and 23 and Gaines caught Murray from behind.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes he is mixing more aggressive coverages, but it feels grudgingly. He is so quick to go back to the soft shit. 14 point lead on high scoring teams that chew that up with a quarter left was more risky than playing what had been working and helped get us the 14 point lead.
I know.

I was pointing out that suggesting the approach on the front 7 changed very much isn’t accurate.

And I’ll keep going back to personnel being the issue. Nick Scott completely blew that late deep ball.
Yes Scott makes a good case on that play.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Ill never understand why teams go to a soft shell D once they get ahead late in the game. Not to knit pick because before the 4th quarter the Rams defense looked great. However some things that stood out to me still.
Floyd shouldn't be covering Conner on 7 routes. Even tho he actually had good coverage, he had terrible technique. If that makes any sense. No instincts when defending the pass from a man to man perspective. I don't mind dropping him into coverage on a cover 3 flats or something like that but he shouldnt be manned up.
Rapp shouldn't be covering in a 2 deep shell. He just doesn't have the feet for it.
Scott isn't that great.
Why isn't Burgess playing roaming safety? Is he actually worse than Scott and rapp?

Anyways it was a great game, liked the game plan. Wasn't perfect, Floyd needs to learn not to rush up the field against QBs like Murray. And Miller is a stud. He didn't have any sacks but he was right there the majority of the game and truly understood how to contain his side of the field.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The announcers said something tonight that reminded me what Williams really did that was special last year... "pattern matching".

Unless I'm mistaken.. that's where he generally shined most.. picking guys up in routes and sticking with them. Not necessarily jamming them at the line, because he's a undersized.

Maybe it's been a fit thing with Morris.. maybe he just hasn't been healthy until now.
Either way.. him playing like this.. and Long.. maybe? Figuring it out??? Along with Ramsey and DD would make a HUGE difference.
Unfortunately.. they have what they have at safety opposite Fuller. I swear... If Long actually keeps playing well and DD can contribute? I'd consider putting Ramsey on top in the 2 high at times.
Yes the past 2 games D Will has been in more man with some safety help (zone) at times. You are correct that he plays better in man when he can get in phase with the receiver. He is very good at that and zone does not demand playing that way. My only gripe are 3rd and well over 10 conversions but we are tightening up ever so slightly on 3rd and longs. We had 1 bad stretch after going up 14 in the 3rd. I like that Morris adjusted back out of it. Our coaches were great yesterday, players and gameplan were ready to win

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Morris did an excellent job last night on 1st down run plays and over half of their 2nd down plays but the Cardinals only punted once last night

That to me tells me that Morris still needs to change his play calling on 3rd down (especially the 3rd and long)

No way we should be giving up a 1st down on every 3rd and 8 and longer

I think we held them twice on 3rd and over 8 yards until the last couple minutes of the game and on the 1st one - Green was wide open except the pressure made Murray throw it away and the other one was 3rd and 23 and Gaines caught Murray from behind.

Some of those plays were pure Kyler Murray legs. Sorry, that's not a coverage call issue.

Williams has gotten more effective and is making more plays. Is that a coaching/scheme result? Or is he just playing better? Healthier?

And whatever he did with Long.. it was very effective.

I'm more than fine with him playing soft with his other guys.. I mean.. Orr??

Hell of a game from Morris.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes he is mixing more aggressive coverages, but it feels grudgingly. He is so quick to go back to the soft shit. 14 point lead on high scoring teams that chew that up with a quarter left was more risky than playing what had been working and helped get us the 14 point lead.

Yes Scott makes a good case on that play.

He had the right calls. It was 4th and 9 and Scott blew it. We're not even talking about the onside kick if Scott doesn't screw that up.. and it would've meant 17 points at home for the Cards.
I really don't know what people base expectations on. That D was down 2 of it's top 4 corners and 3 of it's top 5.

Come on, guys.. take a step back.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ill never understand why teams go to a soft shell D once they get ahead late in the game. Not to knit pick because before the 4th quarter the Rams defense looked great. However some things that stood out to me still.
Floyd shouldn't be covering Conner on 7 routes. Even tho he actually had good coverage, he had terrible technique. If that makes any sense. No instincts when defending the pass from a man to man perspective. I don't mind dropping him into coverage on a cover 3 flats or something like that but he shouldnt be manned up.
Rapp shouldn't be covering in a 2 deep shell. He just doesn't have the feet for it.
Scott isn't that great.
Why isn't Burgess playing roaming safety? Is he actually worse than Scott and rapp?

Anyways it was a great game, liked the game plan. Wasn't perfect, Floyd needs to learn not to rush up the field against QBs like Murray. And Miller is a stud. He didn't have any sacks but he was right there the majority of the game and truly understood how to contain his side of the field.
I'm going to focus on one part, because it brings home so much, imo.

Yes.. Burgess is that much worse. Looked lost out there last night. Orr made more of an impact.
The gaping hole at safety, when it comes to coverage, is something Morris has to coach around and he's managing.

No defensive game plan is perfect... but that was a hell of a job yesterday.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Williams has gotten more effective and is making more plays. Is that a coaching/scheme result? Or is he just playing better? Healthier?
It is absolutely scheme, very evident yesterday

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We had 26 pressures last night let that sink in. We’ve wanted more from the front and got it. That 26 is more than double the average.

Ellard80

Legend
Last night was his best coaching job of the year. I hold down the Cards like we did missing all those DBS was great work.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Yeah.. I see a guy who's just playing better.
Of course you do because he is schemed better, one would think you would approve of an assessment that compliments Morris. Serendipity is the explanation