Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We lost AD in for the packer game and against the 9ers, we just don't get it done. Still every bodies biggest worry is what I just stated in the last post. But keep on ignoring a good argument that you know calls out the truth, to pick on something else. You argue like my exwife.
You're missing the point.

Much like with others... when something goes right with the D... it's because of personnel... When it goes wrong.. it's because of Raheem and his play calls.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Much like with others... when something goes right with the D... it's because of personnel... When it goes wrong.. it's because of Raheem and his play calls.
So I guess we are destined to miss each others points.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We lost AD in for the packer game and against the 9ers, we just don't get it done. Still every bodies biggest worry is what I just stated in the last post. But keep on ignoring a good argument that you know calls out the truth, to pick on something else. You argue like my exwife.
To build on what I've said..

He's had to mix and match and develop the secondary. The secondary is improving both schematically and from a performance standpoint.

Some posaters jumped on the Minny TD drive as proof of his "soft coverage" not working without, you know, looking at what happened on that drive.

He's mixing up coverages at a decent rate now and it looks better.. game by game.
He also moved Jones into starting lineup.. which could've been a big help against 9ers in the rematch. Jones looked like he was getting better and growing.

It's remarkable how much less of a problem scheme issues are when players execute whatever scheme they are playing well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So I guess we are destined to miss each others points.
Well, yeah.

If you want to stick with the good stuff that's happening is just because of personnel and the bad stuff is all Morris' fault, yeah, I'm not gonna agree with anyone on that.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Analytics chart shows how Rams CBs are performing in coverage this season​

9ab7086d3a294c01ad67b61ebebf26b0.jpg

Skyler Carlin

December 30, 2021 10:04 am PT

The Los Angeles Rams have had more than a handful of guys log snaps at the cornerback position this season. Jalen Ramsey, Darious Williams, and David Long Jr. are the top three cornerbacks on the Rams in terms of snaps played, but Dont’e Deayon and Robert Rochell have contributed, too.

With two weeks to go in the regular season, how has the trio of Ramsey, Williams, and Long performed when they are targeted in coverage?

When I took a look at this graphic after Week 13, Ramsey was in the section of cornerbacks that are rarely targeted and are good in coverage. However, quarterbacks have been targeting the All-Pro cornerback in the latter part of the season, but they’ve still had little success completing passes against him.

View: https://twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1476235312267366403

Williams was in the “often targeted but good defense” area of the chart following Week 13, only for him to now fall in the “often targeted and poor defense” category. The timing of Williams’ inconsistent play is concerning, especially with him being in a contract year.

The biggest surprise is seeing Long now included among the cornerbacks that are rarely targeted and performing well in coverage. Long’s best game of the season came in Week 14 against the Arizona Cardinals when the Rams were shorthanded in the secondary due to COVID-19.

It’s going to be crucial for the secondary of the Rams to be at their best come playoff time considering that the NFC features quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, and Kyler Murray. At the very least, it’s comforting for the Rams to know that No. 5 is always going to be at his best at the cornerback position.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well, yeah.

If you want to stick with the good stuff that's happening is just because of personnel and the bad stuff is all Morris' fault, yeah, I'm not gonna agree with anyone on that.
I can see the improvement of Morris and the D and give him credit. He deserves it. I am not convinced that he won't fall back to soft coverage in 3rd and longs and end of games with a lead. That has been my points the whole time. The whole time.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I took a look at this graphic after Week 13, Ramsey was in the section of cornerbacks that are rarely targeted and are good in coverage. However, quarterbacks have been targeting the All-Pro cornerback in the latter part of the season, but they’ve still had little success completing passes against him.
This btw is due to the matchups he has drawn of late, guys like Metcalf are gonna get throws even when covered.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This btw is due to the matchups he has drawn of late, guys like Metcalf are gonna get throws even when covered.
Read that and it tracks.
Long has looked a little better... DD has been decent in his role and Williams has been inconsistent.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I can see the improvement of Morris and the D and give him credit. He deserves it. I am not convinced that he won't fall back to soft coverage in 3rd and longs and end of games with a lead. That has been my points the whole time. The whole time.
Okay.
My point is that I'm much more concerned with a sound overall approach and a defense that does it's job and puts the team in a position to win and gets the best out of the players it has.

I'm also much more concerned about points than yardage.. and the Rams are 7th in offensive points given up per game.. and that doesn't factor in the short field TDs.

I think it's easy to say "I worry about X happening and that they'll lose because of that" with almost any kind of scenario.

I could easily say.. "I worry about giving up deep balls" and point to Christian Kirk and say... "See!! I told you!!"... etc.. etc..
I could even say... "look what happened when they played press coverage and sent a blitz at Minny... Williams got burned for a touchdown!"

I don't, because I think defenses need to mix their coverage... especially when they don't have a stellar group of corners.

Holistically... this is a good defense and Morris is a good coordinator.
And.. again... this was the "Fire Morris" thread.

Tano

Legend
Okay.
My point is that I'm much more concerned with a sound overall approach and a defense that does it's job and puts the team in a position to win and gets the best out of the players it has.

I'm also much more concerned about points than yardage.. and the Rams are 7th in offensive points given up per game.. and that doesn't factor in the short field TDs.

I think it's easy to say "I worry about X happening and that they'll lose because of that" with almost any kind of scenario.

I could easily say.. "I worry about giving up deep balls" and point to Christian Kirk and say... "See!! I told you!!"... etc.. etc..
I could even say... "look what happened when they played press coverage and sent a blitz at Minny... Williams got burned for a touchdown!"

I don't, because I think defenses need to mix their coverage... especially when they don't have a stellar group of corners.

Holistically... this is a good defense and Morris is a good coordinator.
And.. again... this was the "Fire Morris" thread.
It's turned into the Damn It Morris - stop playing soft defense when you get a lead or 3rd and long thread

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it wrong for me to hope that he gets a HC job and that the Rams then get a 3rd round comp pick?

Rams77

Starter
The Defense has been clamping down more week by week. Maybe Morris was just trying things out earlier and getting all the players time to get acclimated. I admit early on I was concerned but this D is starting to play more like last year-more disciplined and the DLine/pass rush/rush D is the best in the NFL.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it wrong for me to hope that he gets a HC job and that the Rams then get a 3rd round comp pick?
I don't think we get one for him if he gets a job. Was something in the rules forget exactly what though.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I think Morris is a decent coordinator but he's got to adjust better. GB and the whiners had those 15+ play drives resulting in a TD and the longest gain was like 6 yards. But that's not the issue.

The issue is having one cornerback playing 8-10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. I was screaming at my TV because I could see exactly where the 3rd down conversion was going to be made before the snap. And it happened over and over and over.

Morris must have an assistant up in the booth that sees these things.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Morris is a decent coordinator but he's got to adjust better. GB and the whiners had those 15+ play drives resulting in a TD and the longest gain was like 6 yards. But that's not the issue.

The issue is having one cornerback playing 8-10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. I was screaming at my TV because I could see exactly where the 3rd down conversion was going to be made before the snap. And it happened over and over and over.

Morris must have an assistant up in the booth that sees these things.

And you're still probably going to see that at times.
And you're gonna see time where he runs tight coverage on third down..
And sometimes the D will make plays.. sometimes they won't.

First 3rd & 6 against SF.. Tight DB coverage in single on left.. stacked formation right. Ramsey takes Deebo.. Kittle goes under for easy first down.
I see a penalty create a 2nd and 1.. that leads to 3rd and inches.. which leads to a QB sneak.
3rd and 4.. Williams in tight single up top.. Ramsey in slot.. Rochel 3 yards from Deebo at snap. Kittle isolated on Reeder, first down.
3rd and 6.. Jimmy G finds Kittle in back of endzone.

So... it's a lot more complicated than that.
What I saw is the Rams D fail to make plays... again and again.

Just like they did last year against both the teams you mentioned.

I'm sure part of that is coaching... I'm just not sure it's the part you're focusing on here.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

First 3rd & 6 against SF.. Tight DB coverage in single on left.. stacked formation right. Ramsey takes Deebo.. Kittle goes under for easy first down.

I think that's another area where adjustments are needed. Deebo and Kittle were given free releases off the LOS on those third downs.

Sometimes they need to be jammed to throw off the timing of the pattern. Our pass rush was collapsing the pocket but Jimmy g sting could just close his eyes and throw to a spot.

It could also be that these errors or failure to make plays were magnified because they came against the hated whiners and the packers who might get the top seed because we couldn't beat them.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I see a penalty create a 2nd and 1.. that leads to 3rd and inches.. which leads to a QB sneak.
3rd and 4.. Williams in tight single up top.. Ramsey in slot.. Rochel 3 yards from Deebo at snap. Kittle isolated on Reeder, first down.
3rd and 6.. Jimmy G finds Kittle in back of endzone.

So... it's a lot more complicated than that.
What I saw is the Rams D fail to make plays... again and again.

Just like they did last year against both the teams you mentioned.

I'm sure part of that is coaching... I'm just not sure it's the part you're focusing on here.
Ramsey takes Deebo no mater where he lines up. Even backfield. Double Kittle. Yes they will still have some success, but it will be more difficult and will cause the QB to pause occasionally. We know it isn't that simple, but start with something simple and basic like trying to take away the main threat. He lines up here we do this. He lines up there we do this. Sometimes it dictates a double team, sometimes it is all on Ramsey. It just can't be always let them off the line of scrimage with no contact and hope to react or hope they make a mistake.