Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think that's another area where adjustments are needed. Deebo and Kittle were given free releases off the LOS on those third downs.

Sometimes they need to be jammed to throw off the timing of the pattern. Our pass rush was collapsing the pocket but Jimmy g sting could just close his eyes and throw to a spot.

It could also be that these errors or failure to make plays were magnified because they came against the hated whiners and the packers who might get the top seed because we couldn't beat them.

Here's the thing with trying to jam Deebo and Kittle... those two bust that shit easy.. and then you have one lest defender to stop them when they get the ball because they're already passed them.
Also.. Deebo got free releases by being moved around and hidden off the LOS... same with Kittle.

Your last line and the fact that there just were no positive plays on defense are very true.

Shanahan has had McVay's number, for whatever reason.. and LaFluer does as well.. but the reason there is more obvious.. Rogers.

Also.. for whatever reason.. the 9ers are always ready to go and play their best game of the season against the Rams for the last 2.5 seasons.. they don't make mistakes. Against Tennessee? Shit.. guys were open.. Jimmy G was missing and throwing ints... and the Titans offense wasn't turning the ball over.
It was just a shit game by THE RAMS, period. Including the defense.

We don't blame Stafford for the pick 6 in the 9ers game.. that was on Higbee.. but, you know what? The play before Stafford missed bad on a throw to Skow. Hit that and the pick 6 doesn't happen (most likely).

The Rams need to play a clean game against the 9ers.. having a real punt and kick returner will help too.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ramsey takes Deebo no mater where he lines up. Even backfield. Double Kittle. Yes they will still have some success, but it will be more difficult and will cause the QB to pause occasionally. We know it isn't that simple, but start with something simple and basic like trying to take away the main threat. He lines up here we do this. He lines up there we do this. Sometimes it dictates a double team, sometimes it is all on Ramsey. It just can't be always let them off the line of scrimage with no contact and hope to react or hope they make a mistake.

That’s funny, Imo Raheem Morris & RAMsey are on the same page.

Anyway to each his own.I understand what your saying & think that is a nice game plan.Still listen them & watch games.I see how RAMsey is used.Sometimes the game plan does differ though for better or worse.Lately RAMsey has been going on the right side to cover WR’s. He still mainly lines up on the Left side.In between a cover corner & Nickle.
There’s no way Imo he just stays man to man with a WR. The Rams trust D. Williams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ramsey takes Deebo no mater where he lines up. Even backfield. Double Kittle. Yes they will still have some success, but it will be more difficult and will cause the QB to pause occasionally. We know it isn't that simple, but start with something simple and basic like trying to take away the main threat. He lines up here we do this. He lines up there we do this. Sometimes it dictates a double team, sometimes it is all on Ramsey. It just can't be always let them off the line of scrimage with no contact and hope to react or hope they make a mistake.
Maybe?
Maybe make fewer mistakes on D?
Rewatching the game.. Rams had just scored a TD to make it 14-7.. 3rd and 2 on the 9ers 18... Rams stuff the shit out of the play.. but Floyd and Donald are offsides. That wasn't a scheme problem. Again.. execution cost them.
A third down on that drive.. 9ers run a play nice pick play to get Deebo open. I don't know if it was miscommunication or what.. but the 9ers executed.. Rams didn't. If DBs were supposed to handoff there.. then Ramsey was the one who made the mistake. The play is at the 8 minute mark in the 2nd.
There's a play where Rochell is way deep and Ayuk cuts under him for a first. What I don't know is whether he was a rookie playing too deep.. or they're too scared of Ayuk beating them up top to play tight. And then 4 guys can't tackle him. (Ramsey was lined up tight on Deebo, btw)
Next play.. Deebo in backfield 7 yard run for TD.
We can hyper focus on Rochell being way deep on one play... or we can look at the multiple plays on the drive where the 9ers just flat-out beat the Rams.. multiple long runs.. and the Rams critical 3rd down mistake that could've stopped the drive before it started.

You want to focus on scheme. I got it.
I'm focused on execution on both sides of the ball.

Players have to make plays to win games when they're in a position to.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Maybe?
Maybe make fewer mistakes on D?
Rewatching the game.. Rams had just scored a TD to make it 14-7.. 3rd and 2 on the 9ers 18... Rams stuff the shit out of the play.. but Floyd and Donald are offsides. That wasn't a scheme problem. Again.. execution cost them.
A third down on that drive.. 9ers run a play nice pick play to get Deebo open. I don't know if it was miscommunication or what.. but the 9ers executed.. Rams didn't. If DBs were supposed to handoff there.. then Ramsey was the one who made the mistake. The play is at the 8 minute mark in the 2nd.
There's a play where Rochell is way deep and Ayuk cuts under him for a first. What I don't know is whether he was a rookie playing too deep.. or they're too scared of Ayuk beating them up top to play tight. And then 4 guys can't tackle him. (Ramsey was lined up tight on Deebo, btw)
Next play.. Deebo in backfield 7 yard run for TD.
We can hyper focus on Rochell being way deep on one play... or we can look at the multiple plays on the drive where the 9ers just flat-out beat the Rams.. multiple long runs.. and the Rams critical 3rd down mistake that could've stopped the drive before it started.

You want to focus on scheme. I got it.
I'm focused on execution on both sides of the ball.

Players have to make plays to win games when they're in a position to.
I don't disagree with players have to execute and that the Rams didn't play well. I think they execute better playing aggressive and when playing aggressive gets you the upper hand, you don't let up because you have a lead or because of long down and distance. There is no arguing the level of play has been bad at times, but there is also no arguing that scheme or putting a player in the best position possible to succeed also affects the level of play. I just don't want the bend but don't break approach to loose us games.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't disagree with players have to execute and that the Rams didn't play well. I think they execute better playing aggressive and when playing aggressive gets you the upper hand, you don't let up because you have a lead or because of long down and distance. There is no arguing the level of play has been bad at times, but there is also no arguing that scheme or putting a player in the best position possible to succeed also affects the level of play. I just don't want the bend but don't break approach to loose us games.
I don't want to lose games and whether it happens on a long, methodical drive... or the defense plays tight and the offense beats you deep.. it's still a loss.
The Rams do have an aggressive defense.. they blitz.. they mix coverages.. they do good things.
And.. again.. I've shown multiple drives where perception and reality are in conflict.

My biggest issue with the 9ers and, now, the Packers.. is why does the entire Rams team not show up in those games? Isn't that the real problem? What's going on in the weekly preps that puts them in that position.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Defense gave up 3 FGs on the road against a tough team.

HELL of a job and the defense keeps getting better.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Defense gave up 3 FGs on the road against a tough team.

HELL of a job and the defense keeps getting better.
The players and the defensive coaches seem to be all on the same page now and all performing at a high level. It's good to see it come together, whatever the issue was, late in the season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I could critique the D for giving up some long drives and a few long gainers here and there, but overall, great performance. With our O struggling for much of the game, they only gave up three field goals on three Ravens trips into the red zone. And on the last drive, when you absolutely cannot let the Ravens get into FG range - which is an extended range considering their kicker - the D was absolutely fucking clutch, taking away any chance that they would have to even line up for the kick.

With their backs to the wall, they came through, big time.

Tano

Legend
Defense definitely played a good game and Raheem called a good game for the most part.

Kupp and I will always disagree because I would like Morris to call a more aggressive game to possibly get more 3 and outs and Kupp says otherwise.

Just a difference of opinion there.

Tano

Legend
I could critique the D for giving up some long drives and a few long gainers here and there, but overall, great performance. With our O struggling for much of the game, they only gave up three field goals on three Ravens trips into the red zone. And on the last drive, when you absolutely cannot let the Ravens get into FG range - which is an extended range considering their kicker - the D was absolutely fucking clutch, taking away any chance that they would have to even line up for the kick.

With their backs to the wall, they came through, big time.
Yes that defensive stand on the last drive was awesome and I agreed with each of Morris calls on that drive.

Good job Raheem.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Defense definitely played a good game and Raheem called a good game for the most part.

Kupp and I will always disagree because I would like Morris to call a more aggressive game to possibly get more 3 and outs and Kupp says otherwise.

Just a difference of opinion there.

That's actually not the problem I have with most of the criticism.

My bigger problem is that Raheem playing "soft" D being the problem is that it's just become the default comment anytime anything negative happens with the defense.

The Ravens drive the field, in part, because the dline loses contain.. and it's Raheem calling a soft D.. and when the D keeps contain and gets to the QB, there's no way they could be in off coverage, could they.

It's the oversimplification that I think is misguided and used to play into a narrative, instead of looking at what's going on on the field.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I just rewatched the game. I am sorry, but the D is still on the field for way to long, doing some of the same bend but don't break bullshit and giving up long down and distance. The Ravens had multiple long drives. Their last two drives were going in until their Oline moved before the snap and the other was a delay of game. The D caught a couple of breaks and took advantage of it, but I am sorry but these long drives even by mediocre offenses will kill us just as much as Staffords pick sixes. Both the D and the O made some great clutch plays, but quite frankly I don't have faith in either one right at this time. You can say they only alowed 9 points, but if Lamar was heathy we would have been toast. The QB missed some easy passes. I know we played thru adversity and all. I just think in the last 2 games we did all the same mistakes that we made in the 3 losses. Only difference is the quality of the teams. SF has our number and if we don't clean up the O mistakes and the D keeps playing bend don't bread and can't get any 3 and outs we are done.

Please someone pull away from the edge of the cliff.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
So much hate for the “soft” or bend but don’t break mentality and I don’t get it. Correct me if inwrong but that the same type of D we played the sb year was it not?

sloramfan

Starter
i'm gonna have to agree with kupped...

honestly, i thought ramsey was being misused... the secondary was playing back too far... and we weren't getting to the QB...

i was in the fire morris camp, and thought i had good reason to be....

but holy smokes, has the crow been tasty lately...

this defense is playing lights out football, and i couldn't be prouder...

my god, how many times can staff put them in shitfuck positions, and they still give up less than 15 points a game....

these guys aren't good, they're mother fu(&ing off the charts...

AND they're flying under the radar!!!! nobody's talking about them...

playoff football begins this week, and man i don't feel sorry for the niners...

it's time to flex...

go rams

slo

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well I feel more positive today. Just watching the last game had me thinking negative. watching it live I was excited they came back and had a more positive take. Watching it the second time I was worried by the amount of time the D was on the field. I know it had to do with turn overs and they kept them from scoring TDs, but the long drives have got to stop. 3rd downs are still a problem. At the end I know they were really tired because the Ravens drive consisted of nothing but runs. Like 8 in a row and picking up chunks of yardage. If they didn't get the delay of game, they would have rolled right in. With 5 extra yards to score they went to the pass and that was it. We stuffed them. It is a good example of being on the field to long. Hopefully Stafford regroups and stops the mistakes and the rams get more 3 and outs. They have to against the 9ers.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well I feel more positive today. Just watching the last game had me thinking negative. watching it live I was excited they came back and had a more positive take. Watching it the second time I was worried by the amount of time the D was on the field. I know it had to do with turn overs and they kept them from scoring TDs, but the long drives have got to stop. 3rd downs are still a problem. At the end I know they were really tired because the Ravens drive consisted of nothing but runs. Like 8 in a row and picking up chunks of yardage. If they didn't get the delay of game, they would have rolled right in. With 5 extra yards to score they went to the pass and that was it. We stuffed them. It is a good example of being on the field to long. Hopefully Stafford regroups and stops the mistakes and the rams get more 3 and outs. They have to against the 9ers.
The play for the delay of game, Rapp shot the gap and caused a 2-3 yard loss.
Can't assume the TD was coming.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The play for the delay of game, Rapp shot the gap and caused a 2-3 yard loss.
Can't assume the TD was coming.
Whatever. You really don't have to defend to the end. I saw what I saw and it is a valid thought. While the team has battled thru adversity of many kinds and has improved, It doesn't change the continued style they play on 3rd and long. Play behind the line to gain and back up from there. They still do it. I saw it and the results. It causes them to get way to tired as the game progresses. Tack on 3 turn overs, which can't be planed for, and it becomes a gassed D. That last long drive they were gassed and getting run over. The Ravens were at the 2 yard line with plenty of downs to power it in. The penalty changed their plan. The play for the delay of game the whistles were blown, so people stopped playing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Whatever. You really don't have to defend to the end. I saw what I saw and it is a valid thought. While the team has battled thru adversity of many kinds and has improved, It doesn't change the continued style they play on 3rd and long. Play behind the line to gain and back up from there. They still do it. I saw it and the results. It causes them to get way to tired as the game progresses. Tack on 3 turn overs, which can't be planed for, and it becomes a gassed D. That last long drive they were gassed and getting run over. The Ravens were at the 2 yard line with plenty of downs to power it in. The penalty changed their plan. The play for the delay of game the whistles were blown, so people stopped playing.
Whatever?
The play happened.
And the defense made the stops.. it was 3rd and 9, not 3rd and 20. It would've been 3rd and 4-5, not 3rd and 2. Assume what you want.. but the D kept them out all day.

I've already broken down the Ravens drives.. so, I know that the picture your painting isn't really what happened. There was a big run.. and most of the yardage was on runs, including the 32 yarder.

There wasn't a single 3rd and long on that drive. Except the 3rd and 9 where they sacked Huntley.

And.. boy.. the defense looked gassed on that last drive, right? When Miller sacked Huntley to stop the game.