Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The bottom line is, the defense took a step back this year. Nowhere near as good as last year. From coaching to the player personnel. And scheme. So they could used some help from the offense. They did not get it during the losing streak. Yes, Morris is part of the problem. That bend and hope you don't break allows teams to burn clock and keep our offense off the field. But they can still be effective if the offense doesn't put them behind the 8 ball.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
until last week the Rams D has been awful on 3rd downs. It is the most frustrating part of the D. Even when they get the opposition 3rd and long they give it up. Last week I believe the Jags had a holding call and it put them 2nd and 20. The Rams predictably went soft coverage and the 2nd down play went for 17 yards. 3rd and 3 was made easily. This is fucking stupid D and we can look forward to more of the same. 2nd and 3rd and long and the opposition will make it. Over and over and then our offense is standing around getting cold and our D is waring out. It really makes it hard to watch my favorite team. I would love to see the break down of D called and the out come on each play. It would seem easy enough to see a problem.
I am rambaling, but I remember a story of when Mike Holmgren took over OC for 9ers. Montana had thrown a very high pecentage of interseptions the year before. Holmgren noticed that most of them came on the same 3 plays. So he removed them and of course Montana threw like 5 interceptions all year.
I'm just saying it shouldn't be that hard to identify what D calls give up the most yards in what situations.
Figure it out Rams,

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to Spotrac, the Patriots' 2021 cap space is $7.5M. Over-the-Cap has it under $5M.

Even with $21.5M of dead-$ just for Miller, the Broncos still have over $13M of cap space.

Agreeing to assume the remaining salary due on a traded-player ... like Denver did ... is pretty rare. I would have trouble thinking of many examples. That's why I called it a 'reach'.

By-the-way, I had concerns that the Rams gave-up too much for half-a-season of Miller. Even with Denver taking-on $9M for 2021. As time goes by, I like the deal even less. I am OK with the "Going-For-It" approach but a late #2 and #3 for eight games, cap-help and an uncertain off-season seems like a lot.

There was a poster who suggested a couple weeks ago that Von Miller could actually re-sign with the Broncos in the off-season. If the Rams fail to make a deep post-season-run, and his time in L.A. is a disappointment ... coupled with the real possibility that Denver acquires a top-tier-veteran-QB (Rodgers or Wilson) in the off-season, I could see Miller going-back to end his career there with a real chance to play in another Super Bowl.
Oh I totally agree. I don’t think the Miller deal was a good one. It seemed like an overpay and a future loss.

The deal itself is rare. I’m not sure anything like it has ever been done. But, I could see it becoming a thing.

I’d rather the same sort of deal for a top corner or true free safety that can cover, since it is the more gaping hole.

I think Snead’s head is getting too big. Eventually his luck will run out. Or maybe the all in approach and bringing in the big names is just all about making the Rams fit the L.A. mold and lure in fans. Hook them now and worry about the future later.

I don’t think it’s a sustainable model and eventually some new young talent will need to be chosen. I was excited about the potential for this coming draft. So I’m a little down on Miller. However, if he plays like his old self in the playoffs and is instrumental in getting to the Super Bowl then it’s all worth it in the end right?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe Morris should show more blitzes and drop guys into coverage instead. That was a staple for Staley and we are not seeing it as much.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe Morris should show more blitzes and drop guys into coverage instead. That was a staple for Staley and we are not seeing it as much.
Yeah I don't think we need to blitz all that much. We get good pressure up the middle (AD plus Gaines adding more rush ability off the nose), so between that and our edge rushers it's an overall effective rush.

IMO the key for better defense with our front is to make the QB hold the ball a half second longer. This means take chances with tighter coverages underneath and blitzing less.

Tano

Legend
Morris blitzes more than Staley.
I don't believe Elmgrovegnome meant they should blitz more

I believe he meant to say that Morris should show more blitzes but drop back into coverage instead

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't believe Elmgrovegnome meant they should blitz more

I believe he meant to say that Morris should show more blitzes but drop back into coverage instead
Ahhhhhhh…
Coffee hadn’t kicked in. Thanks!

He dropped Von last week… we’ll see. It’s a good thought… I’ve been wondering what it will look like with Hollins back.. show five but drop him, Floyd or Von..

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Morris blitzes more than Staley.
I meant show blitz more ( up close) and back out. Staley showed blitz then dropped different players back to confuse the offense, or sometimes faked showing blitz.

Morris blitzes from ten yards deep sometimes. He also usually blitzes the guys he shows it with.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I don't think we need to blitz all that much. We get good pressure up the middle (AD plus Gaines adding more rush ability off the nose), so between that and our edge rushers it's an overall effective rush.

IMO the key for better defense with our front is to make the QB hold the ball a half second longer. This means take chances with tighter coverages underneath and blitzing less.
I didn’t say blitz more. I said show blitz but back out of it more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Maybe if they get Hollins back soon, between he and Jones they can manage to stop some of the underneath stuff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe if they get Hollins back soon, between he and Jones they can manage to stop some of the underneath stuff.

Yeah I don’t see that happening.If Hollins is that good at iLB then Morris & Shula deserve all kinds of credit.I actually find that funny.
BubbaRam is a big fan I believe of Hollins.Not sure his logic or idea.He did a good job reporting in training camp.Wonder his thoughts as well ?

Is this because of Troy Reeder dislike ? I like Reeder & think he brings a nice element to this Rams Defense though.
Now Ernest Jones is taking things to a higher level & his rookie year is over & has turned the page as they say. There is a time your no longer a rookie at some point of the season.
Then again some players never graduate to that point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As part of the trade, it was reported that Denver would take-on most of Miller's remaining cap hit (about $9M). He only counts for $700,000 against the Rams cap.

Gilmore counts almost $6.2M against the Panthers' cap.

Yeah - talk about Greatness!!

Hollins got cut from Denver,but Hollins still has a good bond there.

In training camp Hollins mainly played rolb/de .OBO as well.I think
Hollins would change inside,but more from a vision standpoint.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The bottom line is, the defense took a step back this year. Nowhere near as good as last year. From coaching to the player personnel. And scheme. So they could used some help from the offense. They did not get it during the losing streak. Yes, Morris is part of the problem. That bend and hope you don't break allows teams to burn clock and keep our offense off the field. But they can still be effective if the offense doesn't put them behind the 8 ball.

I don’t think you can out The Rams defense in a box like this.

Morris will make the correct when it calls for it.The Rams got some real big breaks.

We can break down the defense if you want. My point is The Rams defense is evolving.

Staley as a rookie DC had Joe Barry.I don’t think some realized how much influence he had as assistant HC

KJD_Ram

Rookie
IF Morris is hired as a HC somewhere I'd like to suggest Morgan Scalley the current D coordinator at Utah be given a look...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IF Morris is hired as a HC somewhere I'd like to suggest Morgan Scalley the current D coordinator at Utah be given a look...
Excellent College DC, however, my hope is Morris is hired by the Las Vegas Raiders & the Broncos fire Vic Fangio and then the Rams hire Fangio as their DC for the next several years.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If the Rams were to move-on from Morris (much would have to happen in my opinion ... none of it good for the Rams), I would like to see McVay talk to Wisconsin's Jim Leonhard. Have been high on him for a while. Quality pro safety who seemed like he was always in the right spot. Quick, smooth and successful transition to coaching.

Was high on Leonhard when McVay was replacing Wade Phillips. He went with a talented, young guy in Brandon Staley then. Leonhard would also fall into that category.

On the other-side, four different Defensive Coordinators in four seasons might not be good.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Zimmer is another HC who is going to go back to being a DC at some point. If and when he hits the street like with Fangio whover hires him will pick up a huge edge for 2022.

I would terminate Morris immediately for either of those proven and excellent DCs.