Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
In theory that's nice but you have two other things to factor in. Would the offense in those turnover drives even produced anything or just had a quick 3 or 6 and out giving them good field position and able to produce a drive on offense? Also in some regards the pick 6 allowed the offense to take the foot off the brakes a bit and not open up their offense. So you can guess that the turnovers change things but in the end it's just as possible that the defense ends up giving up the TD instead of the offense.
It’s not as good of a chance.
You would have to have a 100% success rate on drives for it to be “just as possible” as the offense giving up a pick 6.

TexasRam

Legend
Kupped,

I think most people here would agree that giving up pick 6's or losing the ball otherwise puts the team behind the 8 ball.

I could give two shits about stats in many cases. Outside of the point of reference they provide. I mean anyone can manipulate stats to make a point.

I think my main problem with the scheme comes down to soft zone, playing Ramsey out of place and not changing out personnel quick enough.

It is a very nuanced discussion. But playing soft zone only makes sense in my book vs offenses that struggle to put together long drives consistently. When you play that vs Zona and Green bay or some degree the Niners, it is just maddening. The most maddening part is it starts to eat up clock and TOP. If you played man to man there is a chance to not only get off the feild, but force a sack fumble or interception. Soft zone with our personnel is a freebie. Keep eating clock, keep ball security, keep building confidence etc. What if the opposing offense hits a deep pass? The percentages are low first of all. Second, it takes time for those routes to develop usually, so a sack fumble is in play (especially with our Dline). Third, worse case scenario they hit a big shot down the feild. Ok well at least we didn't lose TOS and have time to rest our defense and score. Teams like Seattle you play deep zones, that is where Wilson and his WR's feast. But that is one of the few exceptions in my book. Teams like the Ravens and Miami straight up take over and win ball games with a pressure approach that mans up WR's and brings the house on third down. At a minimum it should be mixed in more, in order to keep the QB off his timing and rushing his throws.

Going away from Ramsey on top pro bowl targets is just clearly the wrong thing to do. You lose the numbers game and this year has demonstrated its the wrong approach. It seems to me Ramsey is now rusty when trying to man up on guys. It's not a coincidence. It's sad really. Wasting one of the best cover guys alive. Not to mention the way Williams has been used and thus fallen off a cliff.

Lastly, your main argument keeps going back to Morris not having the horses, losing JJ and Hill. This is a valid argument and I for one was pounding the table for JJ over Floyd. But teams have to adjust and good coordinators do. We should have cycled through Rapp and also Reeder a LOOOOOOONNNNGG time ago. We should have cycled through Burgess by now and others. Daeyon came off the practice squad and provided a little bit of a stop gap for Long. I would have brought in everyone and their brother. How is it we have the capital to go get Miller but not some other CB or safety? Tampa goes out and gets Sherman. Is this Morris fault or Mcvay/Snead? Don't know but I would be livid if I am Morris and my DB's were playing like this. I would try anything and everything and pound the table for new blood to cycle in until something stuck.

This defense has time to get fixed, But the snails pace doesn't look like it's going to find the answers before we need it. Both Scheme and Personnel should have been addressed by now in my opinion.

Tano

Legend
Kupped,

I think most people here would agree that giving up pick 6's or losing the ball otherwise puts the team behind the 8 ball.

I could give two shits about stats in many cases. Outside of the point of reference they provide. I mean anyone can manipulate stats to make a point.

I think my main problem with the scheme comes down to soft zone, playing Ramsey out of place and not changing out personnel quick enough.

It is a very nuanced discussion. But playing soft zone only makes sense in my book vs offenses that struggle to put together long drives consistently. When you play that vs Zona and Green bay or some degree the Niners, it is just maddening. The most maddening part is it starts to eat up clock and TOP. If you played man to man there is a chance to not only get off the feild, but force a sack fumble or interception. Soft zone with our personnel is a freebie. Keep eating clock, keep ball security, keep building confidence etc. What if the opposing offense hits a deep pass? The percentages are low first of all. Second, it takes time for those routes to develop usually, so a sack fumble is in play (especially with our Dline). Third, worse case scenario they hit a big shot down the feild. Ok well at least we didn't lose TOS and have time to rest our defense and score. Teams like Seattle you play deep zones, that is where Wilson and his WR's feast. But that is one of the few exceptions in my book. Teams like the Ravens and Miami straight up take over and win ball games with a pressure approach that mans up WR's and brings the house on third down. At a minimum it should be mixed in more, in order to keep the QB off his timing and rushing his throws.

Going away from Ramsey on top pro bowl targets is just clearly the wrong thing to do. You lose the numbers game and this year has demonstrated its the wrong approach. It seems to me Ramsey is now rusty when trying to man up on guys. It's not a coincidence. It's sad really. Wasting one of the best cover guys alive. Not to mention the way Williams has been used and thus fallen off a cliff.

Lastly, your main argument keeps going back to Morris not having the horses, losing JJ and Hill. This is a valid argument and I for one was pounding the table for JJ over Floyd. But teams have to adjust and good coordinators do. We should have cycled through Rapp and also Reeder a LOOOOOOONNNNGG time ago. We should have cycled through Burgess by now and others. Daeyon came off the practice squad and provided a little bit of a stop gap for Long. I would have brought in everyone and their brother. How is it we have the capital to go get Miller but not some other CB or safety? Tampa goes out and gets Sherman. Is this Morris fault or Mcvay/Snead? Don't know but I would be livid if I am Morris and my DB's were playing like this. I would try anything and everything and pound the table for new blood to cycle in until something stuck.

This defense has time to get fixed, But the snails pace doesn't look like it's going to find the answers before we need it. Both Scheme and Personnel should have been addressed by now in my opinion.
Couldn't have said it better.

Tano

Legend
This is such complete, utter nonsense.
They lost. Period.

Want more nonsense? Why aren't you pointing out the TOP issues in loses last year? 37+ minutes to just over 22 in the first loss to the 9ers last year.
34 to 25 in the second SF loss.
36+ to just over 23 in the loss to GB in the playoffs.

There's the context you're looking for.
1st Loss to SF

20 Minutes in 1st half to 10 minutes - Rams defense made adjustment and gave Goff a chance to come back in the second half and we almost did if not for a Kupp TD drop. I still believe if Kupp catches that pass, we get another chance at the end of the game to win.

2nd Loss to SF

Rams Defense shit the bed when they had a lead and gave up 7 minutes on their last two drives. We still had a chance to win if the defense was able to stop them on the last drive but the referees were not going to allow that.

Plus that was just an ugly game altogether. Both teams were doing only 2 minute drives all game long.

SF had two 5 minute drives all game that basically accounts for the time discrepancy. Defense gave them a chance and the offense also shit the bed even though Akers was having a really good game that day. They should have probably run more that game and taken what SF was giving them.

Green Bay - I still feel Staley didn't prepare properly and nothing you say will make me believe otherwise. It just wasn't the same defense that we had all year. He didn't make any second half adjustments. And why oh why did he not take Reeder out of the game after the first half. Reeder had a shit game that day. Reeder is just not a good player for teams that can pick apart a team with short passes and has a strong running game.

Also 20 minutes to 10 minutes in the first half

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kupped,

I guess you & I have a differents of opinion.I’m actually trying to get where you’re coming from here on Sherman?

I also wonder what your opinion has been on The Rams O’Line over the years.I personally love watching growth & players.

Anyway I can get into it,but we’ll both see what the final results are.I was happy(VERY VERY VERY VERY) with The Rams against Jax Jags.

Just to add a negative to me was Humphries playing & an announcer said Humphries playing the best center in all of football? That stung a little. I know some of these young players have gotten hurt,but watch out for Ben Sko.
Brandon Powell vs Buddy Howell ? I like the way The Rams(Les & crew)keep finding players.

Just to keep adding. JJ & Troy Hill both got paid.If you want to talk bad about Rapp it’s cool.I like the way This Rams DB group is & is growing together.I love there heart beat & togetherness.
This is a good young DB group & RAMSey wouldn’t want it any other way.

Reeder still had 3 tackles,so he should keep getting that number.Less is more with him.Ernest Jones though ? Come on,he almost had another pick 6 and playing with a lot of fun.

Rapp only had 3 tackles.

I don’t recall how the ball came out,,but loved Rapps hands & how quiet it was on his fumble recovery.
-Jalen of course on AD99 as well.

Last week there was a fumble by Arod & a player missed it.Would have changed the game.

So Rapp & RAMsey both deserve a plus for football IQ & awareness.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Couldn't have said it better.

Well if your agreeing with Texas Ram
I wouldn’t ask you to say it,but we will see what happens against Arizona Monday Night.

I like the way The Rams only gave up 7 points this last weekend.If your as only as good as your last week then The Rams are one of the best in The NFL.

Lossing at 8ers or GB is no crime.Those are tough teams.

I didn’t understand how anyone can go from not liking stats to whatever?
Hard to figure out & then to recycle through players ?

Micha Kiser got beat out by Troy Reeder & Kenny Young cleared space for Beckham & Von Miller. So anyone who wants Dick Sherman over those to player might want to revaluate those thoughts.I’d say especially as a Rams Fan. I four 1 would say respects to his future HOF retirement.Von Miller & OBj have a lot of NFL football left.There HOF ballots are further away.
I liked Mcvay saying he was out of tune & thought he had swag.That Beckham celebration was pretty cool with his statement of being reborn.Now RAMsey would have pointed to the sky like a Kurt Warner(Cards week).

Don’t want to out words into anyone’s mouth ,but Go Rams.

Tano

Legend
Well if your agreeing with Texas Ram
I wouldn’t ask you to say it,but we will see what happens against Arizona Monday Night.

I like the way The Rams only gave up 7 points this last weekend.If your as only as good as your last week then The Rams are one of the best in The NFL.

Lossing at 8ers or GB is no crime.Those are tough teams.

I didn’t understand how anyone can go from not liking stats to whatever?
Hard to figure out & then to recycle through players ?

Micha Kiser got beat out by Troy Reeder & Kenny Young cleared space for Beckham & Von Miller. So anyone who wants Dick Sherman over those to player might want to revaluate those thoughts.I’d say especially as a Rams Fan. I four 1 would say respects to his future HOF retirement.Von Miller & OBj have a lot of NFL football left.There HOF ballots are further away.
I liked Mcvay saying he was out of tune & thought he had swag.That Beckham celebration was pretty cool with his statement of being reborn.Now RAMsey would have pointed to the sky like a Kurt Warner(Cards week).

Don’t want to out words into anyone’s mouth ,but Go Rams.
I have stated earlier in this thread or another thread (can't remember) that I did like how Morris had Williams man up on a number of plays. He had his man covered.

However, if Morris goes back to the soft zone bullcrap against Murray, we will get our asses handed to them. I want to see two games back to back where Morris plays more aggressively.

Ellard80

Legend
I have stated earlier in this thread or another thread (can't remember) that I did like how Morris had Williams man up on a number of plays. He had his man covered.

However, if Morris goes back to the soft zone bullcrap against Murray, we will get our asses handed to them. I want to see two games back to back where Morris plays more aggressively.
last time we played the cardinals we blitzed more than i can ever remember and it wasn't working.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
last time we played the cardinals we blitzed more than i can ever remember and it wasn't working.
Yeah Morris got his ass handed to him in that game. His blitzes were ineffective and honestly the entire gameplan sucked. Both sides of the ball were bad tbh but the defense was on its heels all day long and the blitzes made it worse.

He's gonna need to gamble a bit in this game but it's better to gamble on the back end with Ramsey singled up on Adams for example and the coverages rolled up tight to make Murray hold the ball than sending rushers and creating more holes in the secondary. I'd rather give up a big play or three but get stops in the other possessions than bleed yards and clock all game long. Strength of our defense is up front. So he's going to need to call the game to their strengths and just let the front do their thing on the rush.

I'd have 50 cleaning up over the middle for when Murray shoots through rush gaps too. Limit his drops a bit keep them shallow it's the price of playing that big a run threat QB. But I agree the last game the plan was shit and expect things to be more in our favor there this time around. Arizona's a damn good team but the Rams are capable of pulling this out I think.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I don’t know ?? I saw AD99 & Kenny Young both missing tackles against Arizona. I also saw the GB vs Arizona game.
Just to add RAMsey needs to stop Arod from getting in. That was his #1 assignment there.That is just basic knowledge & mindset on that play.Your on the edge & have to say to yourself.Nothing outside.

RAMsey last year had Hopkins on a great game winning play. The Rams loss Arizona goes to the playoffs.Murray got hurt on the last game (15).

I just think this Rams defense matches up well against them with all there DB’s. How good is Murray? Greg Gaines got Lawrence but won’t get Murray. Keep him in the pocket & I like The Rams zone coverage with him as a QB.

I’m talking out my Azz right now though.. I just think this Rams team wins as a team Monday. Raheem Morris is just apart of this defense.The Rams have an excellent coaching staff.I think in the big picture of it all they get over looked.

Henderson,Shula, Thad Bog,Dixon,Double E, & Cooly.
Add there are more,but just the players themselves holding each other accountable.

If you just watch a player like DD21 & how he is during & after plays is fun for me to watch. Rapp gets a bad Rapp. He gets razzed by his teammates.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
1st Loss to SF

20 Minutes in 1st half to 10 minutes - Rams defense made adjustment and gave Goff a chance to come back in the second half and we almost did if not for a Kupp TD drop. I still believe if Kupp catches that pass, we get another chance at the end of the game to win.

2nd Loss to SF

Rams Defense shit the bed when they had a lead and gave up 7 minutes on their last two drives. We still had a chance to win if the defense was able to stop them on the last drive but the referees were not going to allow that.

Plus that was just an ugly game altogether. Both teams were doing only 2 minute drives all game long.

SF had two 5 minute drives all game that basically accounts for the time discrepancy. Defense gave them a chance and the offense also shit the bed even though Akers was having a really good game that day. They should have probably run more that game and taken what SF was giving them.

Green Bay - I still feel Staley didn't prepare properly and nothing you say will make me believe otherwise. It just wasn't the same defense that we had all year. He didn't make any second half adjustments. And why oh why did he not take Reeder out of the game after the first half. Reeder had a shit game that day. Reeder is just not a good player for teams that can pick apart a team with short passes and has a strong running game.

Also 20 minutes to 10 minutes in the first half
What we're getting to here is that a stat like TOP only matters to you when your feelings say it's important.

Green Bay, the game was completely "winnable" when Stafford threw the pick-6. The D came up with stops in the 4th and the offense did nothing. If you didn't "feel" like they had a chance, maybe it was because you expected the offense to turn the ball over again.

The "still had a chance to win" think is just silly. The Rams D didn't get it done against those same opponents, no matter how you want to stack it up.

Just pointing out the reality that last year's D got beat bad by two of the teams that got beat bad by it this year.

And that the Rams got dominated in TOP in those games as well.

That doesn't jive with your "feelings"? Fine. There's no discussion at that point because there are no objective elements to that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Kupped,

If you want to talk about nuance, then you need to go through the game, snap-by-snap.. coverage call by coverage call. You need to know the rules the D is playing with and how the offense breaks those.
Like I pointed out.. people who freaked about Reeder ending up stuck on Adams? Fangio's D ended up with Kenny Young on Ty Hill. It's the NFL.
Keeping the same coverage in the NFL simply does not happen. Teams mix it up. Part of your scheme is driven by personnel. The Rams are lacking at corner and coverage safety and don't have the players to play press all over the place. When you get busted in that kind of coverage.. it's a huge gain, possibly a touchdown.
Moving Ramsey around is clearly the *right* thing to do.. it's about when and how you do it to maximize it. He's got more ints this year than the last two years combined and more pass defended this year than last year already. People want to over simplify.. he was on Adams 56% of the time.
You compare the Rams D to teams that have salary and structural advantages the Rams do not have in Miami and the Ravens. Let's talk about the Ravens after they pay Jackson 35-40 a year. It will have an impact.
Just because you think Burgess should play doesn't mean he *can* play. You can wish, want, insist all you want that they should get more out of him and others.. but, sometimes, you just don't have the players. And the adjustment for that? Is to play softer.

The other thing? How over hyped the Rams defensive problems are on here. They're 8-4 and not exclusively because of the offense. The defense is 12th overall in yardage. They're 16th in scoring, but as I've pointed out.. if you take away the points produced directly or almost directly by turnovers, they'd be #6.

The Rams also added some adjustments this weekend... so.. mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe Morris knows he has issues and is trying to work them out as the season goes on. Maybe Williams is finally healthy enough to play in press more.

We can say "should" all we want to the personnel stuff... but it ain't. And that's not Morris' fault.. and neither is the basic structure of the D, which McVay decided on and brought Morris in to run, even though he'd never run it before.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah Morris got his ass handed to him in that game. His blitzes were ineffective and honestly the entire gameplan sucked. Both sides of the ball were bad tbh but the defense was on its heels all day long and the blitzes made it worse.

He's gonna need to gamble a bit in this game but it's better to gamble on the back end with Ramsey singled up on Adams for example and the coverages rolled up tight to make Murray hold the ball than sending rushers and creating more holes in the secondary. I'd rather give up a big play or three but get stops in the other possessions than bleed yards and clock all game long. Strength of our defense is up front. So he's going to need to call the game to their strengths and just let the front do their thing on the rush.

I'd have 50 cleaning up over the middle for when Murray shoots through rush gaps too. Limit his drops a bit keep them shallow it's the price of playing that big a run threat QB. But I agree the last game the plan was shit and expect things to be more in our favor there this time around. Arizona's a damn good team but the Rams are capable of pulling this out I think.
The possibility that they could rush five this week.. with Floyd, Miller AND Hollins is exciting to me.... guys who can chase him down.. but who are also long-armed enough to cause some issues getting the ball out.

Tano

Legend
What we're getting to here is that a stat like TOP only matters to you when your feelings say it's important.

Green Bay, the game was completely "winnable" when Stafford threw the pick-6. The D came up with stops in the 4th and the offense did nothing. If you didn't "feel" like they had a chance, maybe it was because you expected the offense to turn the ball over again.

The "still had a chance to win" think is just silly. The Rams D didn't get it done against those same opponents, no matter how you want to stack it up.

Just pointing out the reality that last year's D got beat bad by two of the teams that got beat bad by it this year.

That doesn't jive with your "feelings"? Fine. There's no discussion at that point because there are no objective elements to that.
Last year we stopped almost every team in the second half due to adjustments made by Staley.

Morris is not doing similar adjustments like Staley so we do not have any chance.

In the Green Bay game, he gave up a 7 minute drive on the FIRST series of the second half.

I will say we were able to stop Green Bay on the next series but screwed up a punt return. That happens,

Now we are down 30-17 and the offense is really pressing so then we throw a pick 6. So now we are down 36 - 17. We did score a TD but we are still down two scores 36 - 25 in the 4th quarter.

I have seen teams time and again play safe with that lead in the 4th quarter or for whatever reason lose their aggressiveness with that lead in the 4th quarter. But being down two scores in the 4th quarter still makes most teams offenses press and unfortunately we did and did not score again.

The point I am making is that we had a chance to make a critical stop at the beginning of the 3rd period and we didn't. That is the most important take that I am taking from Morris defense. He does NOT make adjustments in the second half in games where the defense in the first half is not working.

Arizona San Francisco and Green Bay are perfect examples of that.

Staley would and did every game except the Green Bay game.

And as I have said over and over again - the Rams lost 3 of those games due to a combined team failure

Special Teams Offense and Defense

If defensive adjustments are made in the second half, maybe - just maybe, the offense comes around and we actually come back and win those games

Tennessee was a complete screw up by the offense. That one you can blame 100% of the loss on the offense.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I agree about the GB game.My biggest take though was I give the folks credit in the way Rogers went after The Rams Troy Reeder on match ups.I saw him expose Raheem Morris’s defense of game plan on certain plays. He was not suppose to get that many reps.

That said Koski’s fumble hurt.Then the 4th offside on a punt, & 4th down play call to Henderson at the 4 really hurt.
The defense played well enough to win.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Last year we stopped almost every team in the second half due to adjustments made by Staley.

Morris is not doing similar adjustments like Staley so we do not have any chance.

In the Green Bay game, he gave up a 7 minute drive on the FIRST series of the second half.

I will say we were able to stop Green Bay on the next series but screwed up a punt return. That happens,

Now we are down 30-17 and the offense is really pressing so then we throw a pick 6. So now we are down 36 - 17. We did score a TD but we are still down two scores 36 - 25 in the 4th quarter.

I have seen teams time and again play safe with that lead in the 4th quarter or for whatever reason lose their aggressiveness with that lead in the 4th quarter. But being down two scores in the 4th quarter still makes most teams offenses press and unfortunately we did and did not score again.

The point I am making is that we had a chance to make a critical stop at the beginning of the 3rd period and we didn't. That is the most important take that I am taking from Morris defense. He does NOT make adjustments in the second half in games where the defense in the first half is not working.

And as I have said over and over again - the Rams lost 3 of those games due to a combined team failure

If defensive adjustments are made in the second half, maybe - just maybe, the offense comes around and we actually come back and win those games

Tennessee was a complete screw up by the offense. That one you can blame 100% of the loss on the offense.
Last year, he made no such adjustments against the Packers & 9ers.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

View: https://twitter.com/nate_tice/status/1438152973859766277?s=21

Tano

Legend
Last year, he made no such adjustments against the Packers & 9ers.
Against the Packers - no - and I said that in my write-up

Against the 49ers
1st game - 21-6 SF at half time
End of game 24 - 16 with the Rams having a chance to score a TD but Kupp dropped the TD pass

2nd game - 7-3 SF at half time

I guess he felt he didn't need to make many adjustments since the Rams had only given up 7 points

Then Goff thru an interception for a 14 - 3 lead

Then SF had a 5 minute drive for a FG for a 17 - 3

Then the Rams came back to take a 20 17 lead after Staley made adjustments after that 5 minute drive.

But then for whatever reason, Staley played it safe with that lead and gave up another 5 minute drive to tie the game at 20 20 late in the 4th qtr

And then right before the game was over, the Refs gave the ball to SF within field goal range - it was 100% refs fault imho

I remember McVay being absolutely pissed during that series.

Tano

Legend

Again I stated in my write-up that Staley did not make adjustments in that game.

And I still think his head was in the interview processes and not completely in the game

That was the only game all year that I was really upset at Staley

If they were going to play Reeder, then they should have had Rapp Reeder and Young near the line of scrimmage so those movements would not be effective.

They could have had Rapp covering the guy moving accross