Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Other teams in the NFL benefit from playing bad offenses or teams in a bad stretch. Seattle barely won and didn't have to deal with Deebo or Warner.
It's the league.
That is true but I believe we have benefited from playing more bad teams than the majority of the league.

But that is off the top of my head.

I don't have the time right now to check if true or not.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That is true but I believe we have benefited from playing more bad teams than the majority of the league.

But that is off the top of my head.

I don't have the time right now to check if true or not.
Then I'll feel free to point out.. again... that if you take away the points our offense produced for the opposition.. the scoring defense would be top 6 in the NFL.

Tano

Legend
Then I'll feel free to point out.. again... that if you take away the points our offense produced for the opposition.. the scoring defense would be top 6 in the NFL.
And I disagree with that stat because I believe the other team would have scored the majority of the time anyway since they were dominating the games during those time spans. Tennessee would definitely be the exception but I felt that team was similar to the Jags Texans and Giants offense right now without Henry.

We will see if we do well against the Cardinals.

If we win, then we have turned the corner. If the defense gives up the same number of points and drives like the first game, then no the defense scheme is terrible and we need to find a new DC next year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And I disagree with that stat because I believe the other team would have scored the majority of the time anyway since they were dominating the games during those time spans. Tennessee would definitely be the exception but I felt that team was similar to the Jags Texans and Giants offense right now without Henry.

If we win, then we have turned the corner. If the defense gives up the same number of points and drives like the first game, then no the defense scheme is terrible and we need to find a new DC next year.
Garbage take.
The Rams gave up 13 points with the D giving up about 25 yards vs GB.. not even counting the pick 6.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I'll expand on this..
The Rams D made two stops that lead to FGs.. the only TD off a turnover, besides the pick-6, was a fumble inside the 10.

So, absolute garbage take that they would've scored the majority of the time.. because 2 out of three times? The D did get the stop.

Tano

Legend
I'll expand on this..
The Rams D made two stops that lead to FGs.. the only TD off a turnover, besides the pick-6, was a fumble inside the 10.

So, absolute garbage take that they would've scored the majority of the time.. because 2 out of three times? The D did get the stop.
Again stats and context.

If the Rams time of possession was closer then I would say you were right but the TOP was so much in Arizona, SF, and Green Bays favor that no the defensive scheme sucks right now.

It tires out the defense and doesn't give the offense enough chances to overcome their mistakes.

FYI - those are the 3 of the 5 teams that the Rams faced that I am saying the defensive scheme does NOT work against. Indianapolis and Chicago being the other two teams that the offense was able to overcome the early deficiencies of the defense and get a lead where Indianapolis and Chicago had to come from behind against. Note - those were the two games where the defense was able to get 4th down stops in the red zone after long drives.

The defense does work when we get a lead.

But when we get behind - it is terrible.

And Morris needs to change up his scheme against those teams or we will be out of the playoffs early even if the offense doesn't give up points via turnover.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Again stats and context.

If the Rams time of possession was closer then I would say you were right but the TOP was so much in Arizona, SF, and Green Bays favor that no the defensive scheme sucks right now.

It tires out the defense and doesn't give the offense enough chances to overcome their mistakes.

FYI - those are the 3 of the 5 teams that the Rams faced that I am saying the defensive scheme does NOT work against. Indianapolis and Chicago being the other two teams that the offense was able to overcome the early deficiencies of the defense and get a lead where Indianapolis and Chicago had to come from behind against. Note - those were the two games where the defense was able to get 4th down stops in the red zone after long drives.

The defense does work when we get a lead.

But when we get behind - it is terrible.

And Morris needs to change up his scheme against those teams or we will be out of the playoffs early even if the offense doesn't give up points via turnover.
This TOP nonsense when it comes to the Pack..

McVay was quoted this week by the sideline reporter saying anytime you’d spot the Rams 14 points, he’d absolutely expect to win the game every time.

And.. yeah… most defenses work better with the lead.. is that surprising?

You want context? Don’t spot the other teams points at the start of games to distort your game plan on offense & defense.

Because the Rams were down.. McVay ran even less than usual. You know what helps a team with time of possession? Running the ball.

The spin in GB is absolutely ridiculous.
The offense and special teams spot the other team 19 points and it’s.. “yeah, but time of possession..”

Ridiculous.

Tano

Legend
This TOP nonsense when it comes to the Pack..

McVay was quoted this week by the sideline reporter saying anytime you’d spot the Rams 14 points, he’d absolutely expect to win the game every time.

And.. yeah… most defenses work better with the lead.. is that surprising?

You want context? Don’t spot the other teams points at the start of games to distort your game plan on offense & defense.

Because the Rams were down.. McVay ran even less than usual. You know what helps a team with time of possession? Running the ball.

The spin in GB is absolutely ridiculous.
The offense and special teams spot the other team 19 points and it’s.. “yeah, but time of possession..”

Ridiculous.
When it is that drastic of a difference where the Rams have trouble stopping the other team's drives then No it is NOT Ridiculous - I will keep stressing that over and over

You and I can agree to disagree

And lately I have seen many teams come from behind down 14 points. It used to not happen at all but I believe I have seen more teams come from behind 14 points down in the last 5 years than probably the prior 20 years combined. if the defense doesn't stop the other team, then no the offense doesn't have a chance to come from behind.

And that's what happened in the Arizona SF and Green Bay games. Our offense wasn't really given a chance to come from behind.

Last year, no matter how far behind we were, I always believe that we had a chance.

And every game we lost last year we had a chance to win the game in the last 5 minutes of the game. This year - nope - no chance in all 4 losses. They were over in the 4th quarter.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
When it is that drastic of a difference where the Rams have trouble stopping the other team's drives then No it is NOT Ridiculous - I will keep stressing that over and over

You and I can agree to disagree

And lately I have seen many teams come from behind down 14 points. It used to not happen at all but I believe I have seen more teams come from behind 14 points down in the last 5 years than probably the prior 20 years combined. if the defense doesn't stop the other team, then no the offense doesn't have a chance to come from behind.

And that's what happened in the Arizona SF and Green Bay games. Our offense wasn't really given a chance to come from behind.

Last year, no matter how far behind we were, I always believe that we had a chance.

And every game we lost last year we had a chance to win the game in the last 5 minutes of the game. This year - nope - no chance in all 4 losses. They were over in the 4th quarter.
This is complete nonsense.
What happened in the games Goff gave the other teams multiple scores?
Miami?
Second SF game?

The Rams lost.

Tano

Legend
This is complete nonsense.
What happened in the games Goff gave the other teams multiple scores?
Miami?
Second SF game?

The Rams lost.
Yeah and if not for drops by receivers on critical plays in the 4th quarter in the majority of the games, the Rams had a chance to come back.

Receiver drops kill you every time on critical plays

Kupps drop against SF in the first game
Everetts drop against Miami

Higbees drop against Seattle

Buffalo they had the lead

Rams had a lead against SF in the 4th quarter in the second game when the defense blew it and still had a chance if not for some really bad REF calls on that last drive.

The Second game against Seattle we were only down 13 - 10 with less than 5 minutes to go

That one I still blame Blythe for completely screwing up a 2nd Down TD Pass to a wide open Woods by being pushed into Goff right when he threw the ball. We would have had a lead if not for that blown play by Blythe

The Jets I blame the play calls when we had a chance to win plus Blythe was absolutely terrible in that game. In addition, Everett should have fought for that 3rd down pass. He went extremely passive on that pass.

Tano

Legend
And to stress the above - even though Goff gave up multiple scores in those games, we STILL had a chance to win because our defense held the other team down and gave the offense a chance to come back.

That basically proves my statement about this years defense.

Drops Mike

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And to stress the above - even though Goff gave up multiple scores in those games, we STILL had a chance to win because our defense held the other team down and gave the offense a chance to come back.

That basically proves my statement about this years defense.

Drops Mike
This is such complete, utter nonsense.
They lost. Period.

Want more nonsense? Why aren't you pointing out the TOP issues in loses last year? 37+ minutes to just over 22 in the first loss to the 9ers last year.
34 to 25 in the second SF loss.
36+ to just over 23 in the loss to GB in the playoffs.

There's the context you're looking for.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Makes some adjustments like having Williams in man coverage more and Jones on the field more..
I am a fan of this and hope to see it playout the same way moving forward. Jones seems better suited to play with the personnel around him than Reeder who leaves us vulnerable in the passing game and D Wil reminds me of how we played Marcus Peterson out of scheme and should benefit by playing more man
I have admittedly been critical of the team on both sides of the ball through this past month and am happy to see progress.
It is certainly a huge advantage to put your D on the field with a lead or at least within 1 score.
After spotting 11, 14 & 10 over the losing streak it was nice to get into a rhythm where we can dictate the offensive pace.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So far.. the teams that beat the Rams last year beat them again this year.

Never did I say this year's D is as good as last year.. it's not. The personnel isn't as good on the back end and Morris is having challenges with the scheme and some offenses have adjusted to the scheme.

But the... "they're just not built to play from behind" and "they just give up too much time of possession" seem to have some conflicts with the performance of last year's D.. which had the same issues against specific teams.

Sub out the Arizona game this year for the Buffalo game last year... except the Offense completely failed against AZ.

AZ this year was a different beast from the Cards the Rams played last year.

I mean.. what good offenses did the Rams stop last season? Dallas in the first game?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In theory that's nice but you have two other things to factor in. Would the offense in those turnover drives even produced anything or just had a quick 3 or 6 and out giving them good field position and able to produce a drive on offense? Also in some regards the pick 6 allowed the offense to take the foot off the brakes a bit and not open up their offense. So you can guess that the turnovers change things but in the end it's just as possible that the defense ends up giving up the TD instead of the offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
In theory that's nice but you have two other things to factor in. Would the offense in those turnover drives even produced anything or just had a quick 3 or 6 and out giving them good field position and able to produce a drive on offense? Also in some regards the pick 6 allowed the offense to take the foot off the brakes a bit and not open up their offense. So you can guess that the turnovers change things but in the end it's just as possible that the defense ends up giving up the TD instead of the offense.
What?

Are you saying we have to credit the offense with being so bad it made the other offense ease up?