Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Again I stated in my write-up that Staley did not make adjustments in that game.

And I still think his head was in the interview processes and not completely in the game

That was the only game all year that I was really upset at Staley

If they were going to play Reeder, then they should have had Rapp Reeder and Young near the line of scrimmage so those movements would not be effective.

They could have had Rapp covering the guy moving accross
It doesn’t matter to me why people think whatever..
I’m pointing out the narrative about Morris is misguided and based on false assumptions.

The Packers and 9ers beat the Rams last year and both dominated time of possession.

Morris is doing okay. Not great. Okay.

And if people look at Staley this year and say, “Well, he doesn’t have the personnel”…. Why doesn’t that apply to Morris????

Keeping it real.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Against the Packers - no - and I said that in my write-up

Against the 49ers
1st game - 21-6 SF at half time
End of game 24 - 16 with the Rams having a chance to score a TD but Kupp dropped the TD pass

2nd game - 7-3 SF at half time

I guess he felt he didn't need to make many adjustments since the Rams had only given up 7 points

Then Goff thru an interception for a 14 - 3 lead

Then SF had a 5 minute drive for a FG for a 17 - 3

Then the Rams came back to take a 20 17 lead after Staley made adjustments after that 5 minute drive.

But then for whatever reason, Staley played it safe with that lead and gave up another 5 minute drive to tie the game at 20 20 late in the 4th qtr

And then right before the game was over, the Refs gave the ball to SF within field goal range - it was 100% refs fault imho

I remember McVay being absolutely pissed during that series.
This “what if” stuff and, “they were close” is just painful.
Don’t turn the ball over for scores. It’s a foundational principle of football.

Tano

Legend
This “what if” stuff and, “they were close” is just painful.
Don’t turn the ball over for scores. It’s a foundational principle of football.
No shit about turning over the ball

But the defense can also help.

I do not believe that the defense helped in the 3 games I am pointing out.

They were just as bad as the offense.

That's the difference between you and me

Tano

Legend
And I was pointing out that Staley did make adjustments in the SF game

I feel Morris goes with the same scheme whether it is working or not.

I haven't seen him change his scheme ever during a game.

I keep seeing the soft zone coverages until they get inside the 20.

I will say his inside the 20 coverages are actually quite good.

It is his between the 20 coverages that absolutely suck

I just don't like it.

1638992942755.jpeg

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No shit about turning over the ball

But the defense can also help.

I do not believe that the defense helped in the 3 games I am pointing out.

They were just as bad as the offense.

That's the difference between you and me
The “No shit” is the point.

You can’t expect the defense to overcome turnovers that create points.

You can hope.. but once an offense does that, it’s the biggest factor in a loss.

19 points off turnovers against Green Bay. I don’t know why this is even a conversation.

Tano

Legend
The “No shit” is the point.

You can’t expect the defense to overcome turnovers that create points.

You can hope.. but once an offense does that, it’s the biggest factor in a loss.

19 points off turnovers against Green Bay. I don’t know why this is even a conversation.
Because they didn't hold Green Bay on the first series. It didn't work in the first half at all and the first series in the second half was played almost the same way as in the first half. Even getting a punt on the first drive in the first half wasn't that great because he still allowed an 8 minute drive that is going to tire the defense out quickly. Every other drive - GB got points. That turnover by Stafford probably would have given up points even if we punted because Morris was not stopping Green Bay that first half. He didn't stop them for a short drive once until there were less than a minute to go.

And then in the second half, he gives up another long ass drive on the first series - this one resulted in a TD. He needed to change up his game plan in the second half and he didn't.

I can't stress that enough. I don't know why THIS is a conversation.

Tano

Legend
I need to leave this conversation because I am now saying things like I don't know why this is a conversation.

I am done.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams *do not* have the players to do this on almost every play and that's one of the huge differences from last year.
After Ramsey and Williams, last year, you had Hill and Johnson in coverage.. two guys who could actually cover. This year? Deayon? Rochell? Rapp? Long?
They simply do not have the horses do do that across the board.
Mixing and matching is what they have to do, they just have to do it more effectively. I do think Williams played "man" more yesterday.
Trading for Gilmore could have really fixed this problem. Maybe more so than the later trade for Miller.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I’m pointing out the narrative about Morris is misguided and based on false assumptions.
And somehow between fans, commentators, and opposing players, you are the only one who can see it. I will never know the level on confidence it takes to stand this firm on a subject with literally everyone disagreeing. Kudos to you. That's not meant as an insult. I disagree with you, but I'm also not trying to be an a-hole. Stay strong if you think you're right.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And somehow between fans, commentators, and opposing players, you are the only one who can see it. I will never know the level on confidence it takes to stand this firm on a subject with literally everyone disagreeing. Kudos to you. That's not meant as an insult. I disagree with you, but I'm also not trying to be an a-hole. Stay strong if you think you're right.
Well… not really.

Listen to some pods.. and McVay.

Turnovers.

All I’m dug in on was that the Rams O was the main problem in the 3 game losing streak.

That’s actually not at all a fringe perspective, outside of this forum.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well… not really.

Listen to some pods.. and McVay.

Turnovers.

All I’m dug in on was that the Rams O was the main problem in the 3 game losing streak.

That’s actually not at all a fringe perspective, outside of this forum.
And you're not wrong. The O was the main problem. However, that and the idea that Morris isn't up to the task of running this defense aren't mutually exclusive. They can both be true. I think they are.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They figured a way to fit Von under the cap
As part of the trade, it was reported that Denver would take-on most of Miller's remaining cap hit (about $9M). He only counts for $700,000 against the Rams cap.

Gilmore counts almost $6.2M against the Panthers' cap.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And you're not wrong. The O was the main problem. However, that and the idea that Morris isn't up to the task of running this defense aren't mutually exclusive. They can both be true. I think they are.
Fair enough.

I think there’s more to the Morris part.. including personnel and I’ve also tried to contextualize the situation.

But, I’m not gonna rehash… That horse is glue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As part of the trade, it was reported that Denver would take-on most of Miller's remaining cap hit (about $9M). He only counts for $700,000 against the Rams cap.

Gilmore counts almost $6.2M against the Panthers' cap.
Your missing the point. Instead of making the Miller deal where the Broncos pay his remaining contract, they offer the picks to the Patriots in return for paying Gilmore’s contract.

I bet they’d have done it.

The question then is, which is the better acquisition? Miller or Gilmore. With Lewis, Obo, and Hollins returning OLB/edge looks stronger than Corner.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Your missing the point. Instead of making the Miller deal where the Broncos pay his remaining contract, they offer the picks to the Patriots in return for paying Gilmore’s contract.

I bet they’d have done it.

The question then is, which is the better acquisition? Miller or Gilmore. With Lewis, Obo, and Hollins returning OLB/edge looks stronger than Corner.
It wouldn't be the first time I missed a point but I think your assumption that New England would have eaten the cap is a reach.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It wouldn't be the first time I missed a point but I think your assumption that New England would have eaten the cap is a reach.
For a second and third round pick, when they have 50 million plus in cap space? Not much of a reach 6.2 million is worth a second and third round pick, especially in the coming draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For a second and third round pick, when they have 50 million plus in cap space? Not much of a reach 6.2 million is worth a second and third round pick, especially in the coming draft.
According to Spotrac, the Patriots' 2021 cap space is $7.5M. Over-the-Cap has it under $5M.

Even with $21.5M of dead-$ just for Miller, the Broncos still have over $13M of cap space.

Agreeing to assume the remaining salary due on a traded-player ... like Denver did ... is pretty rare. I would have trouble thinking of many examples. That's why I called it a 'reach'.

By-the-way, I had concerns that the Rams gave-up too much for half-a-season of Miller. Even with Denver taking-on $9M for 2021. As time goes by, I like the deal even less. I am OK with the "Going-For-It" approach but a late #2 and #3 for eight games, cap-help and an uncertain off-season seems like a lot.

There was a poster who suggested a couple weeks ago that Von Miller could actually re-sign with the Broncos in the off-season. If the Rams fail to make a deep post-season-run, and his time in L.A. is a disappointment ... coupled with the real possibility that Denver acquires a top-tier-veteran-QB (Rodgers or Wilson) in the off-season, I could see Miller going-back to end his career there with a real chance to play in another Super Bowl.