Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

"Aaron Rodgers said on the “Pat McAfee Show” Tuesday that the Packers went into Sunday’s game with a plan to get the ball out quickly because of the presence of Donald, Floyd and Miller. They executed that perfectly, with Rodgers averaging only 2.64 seconds from snap to throw – seventh-lowest in the NFL for Week 12 and slightly below his average of 2.68 seconds."
This is what is so frustrating about it all. The coaches know that every team they play is going to try to use this offensive game plan every week. Just like they know what defensive strategy they will use every week. Good teams will succeed, like we’ve seen. How long does it go on before someone says, ‘Hey, we need to make some changes!’

Ellard80

Legend
One thing I did notice yesterday.

Williams was allowed to play within 5 yards of the receiver on quite a few plays and not once was the receiver open in time for the QB to get the ball to the receiver once our pass rushed got to the QB.

The Rams have the players to do this on almost every play.

Let's continue playing Williams up close to the receiver. Our pass rush will get to the QB when we do that.

And if we have to play Reeder on 3rd down, have him rush the passer on half of those plays. He has a heck of a pass rush when allowed to rush the passer.
he had 2 holding penalties and maybe 1 PI - i remember the holding for sure.

Everyone wants to blame the zone for why we are getting no pass rush - but even when we were playing man they were getting rid of the ball fast.

I do think we should play more zone - but don't be disappointed when it makes little difference.

Tano

Legend
he had 2 holding penalties and 1 Pass interference however....

Everyone wants to blame the zone for why we are getting no pass rush - but even when we were playing man they were getting rid of the ball fast.

I do think we should play more zone - but don't be disappointed when it makes little difference.
I don't remember the pass interference

And one of the penalty he was 7 to 10 yards off the receiver

The other one was a bull shit call imho

And I wouldn't mind zone if we played more aggressively - when the player comes into your zone - you stick with him

And still have your CBs play within 5 yards of the receiver at the snap

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
I don't remember the pass interference

And one of the penalty he was 7 to 10 yards off the receiver

The other one was a bull shit call imho

And I wouldn't mind zone if we played more aggressively - when the player comes into your zone - you stick with him

And still have your CBs play within 5 yards of the receiver at the snap
i prefer we mix it up - but even in man they were getting rid of the ball fast.

Tano

Legend
i prefer we mix it up - but even in man they were getting rid of the ball fast.
And iirc - they were not completing them for the most part or they were really short passes

We had a bunch of 3 and outs yesterday when we were lucky to have 1 in the previous 2 games

The one play that really would have annoyed me if it was a closer game, the one where Williams played man and Ramsey played 10 yards off the receiver and then backed up 5 more yards on a 3rd and 12

They got a first down off that play.

I would have had Ramsey at most 7 yards off the receiver on that play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Williams was allowed to play within 5 yards of the receiver on quite a few plays and not once was the receiver open in time for the QB to get the ball to the receiver once our pass rushed got to the QB.

Let's continue playing Williams up close to the receiver. Our pass rush will get to the QB when we do that.

And if we have to play Reeder on 3rd down, have him rush the passer on half of those plays. He has a heck of a pass rush when allowed to rush the passer.
The Rams *do not* have the players to do this on almost every play and that's one of the huge differences from last year.
After Ramsey and Williams, last year, you had Hill and Johnson in coverage.. two guys who could actually cover. This year? Deayon? Rochell? Rapp? Long?
They simply do not have the horses do do that across the board.
Mixing and matching is what they have to do, they just have to do it more effectively. I do think Williams played "man" more yesterday.

Tano

Legend
The Rams *do not* have the players to do this on almost every play and that's one of the huge differences from last year.
I somewhat disagree but that is just a difference of opinion.

I think Rochelle can be a decent cover slot corner and can take over the Hill role.

The only thing I believe we can agree on is who takes John Johnson's role from last year.

I was really hoping that Burgess could take over that role but so far he can't even make it to the field.

I think the Rams were really hoping that as well.

Rapp is definitely a close to the line type safety.

Scott? Makes too many mistakes.

Umm Donte? He is really small but he does hit well. Good coverage guy. Maybe? I would give it a shot in practice and see if he can fit there.

But even with that in mind, that is one position we really need to work on during the offseason.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Here's the thing that stands out to me as an overall assessment of the Rams Defense vs. Offensive philosophies.

Up until last week McVay had a super aggressive offense, trying to huck it deep putting up points and putting the other team down points so they would become one dimensional. For the first 7 weeks it worked out for the most part, and we know teams adjusted and it seemed like the Rams didn't have a plan B for that. Ok, so... the Defense has played with a Bend don't Break mentality. Which a lot of teams have to play because of talent and matchup issues.
My main issue with this type of play or game-planning is with the offensive philosophy and pairing that with the bend don't break, you're ultimately setting yourself up for failure, and the proof was in November. Three games we could and should have won but our team identity a square peg round hole. I think McVay has finally adjusted. Yesterday, I saw much less of the 10 yards off WR's, DW playing more press zone, and Ramsey doing his thing. Rapp was around the LOS where he should be and Reeder was spending less time in coverage.
Now here's the million dollar question. Were the Rams playing this way because it was the Jags? Are they going to retreat back to their old ways, playing the safe game-plan, not getting beat deep? Next week is going to be a gut check for sure. If the Rams revert back to their old ways it's going to be a long long day for the offense and defense. Murray will carve up our soft zone and do what Rodgers did a couple of weeks ago. McVay and Reheem have a lot of growing to do together if this is going to work out the way everyone wants to. If we go back to old ways I expect big changes next offseason, maybe not so much with personnel but with mechanics and identity. If we correct it now and stay the course then I feel the rams have more control of where they go from here.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It seems to me that we don’t really know where the philosophy is coming from. Isn’t it possible that during games and in meetings all week, Raheem is begging to be able to press closer - to get up in the face of the offense and challenge them and that it is McVay who is calling for the bend not break mindset? That McVay is mandating that no one gets beat over the top at all costs?

I know with Wade, we heard that McV had the offense and Wade had the D. Is that still the case? Is McV hands off on D? I feel like we have played too far off for as long as McV has been here. Teams have been trying to “get the ball out quickly” against us as long as AD has been in horns.

i guess what I am asking is - are we sure we are blaming the right guy?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I somewhat disagree but that is just a difference of opinion.

I think Rochelle can be a decent cover slot corner and can take over the Hill role.

The only thing I believe we can agree on is who takes John Johnson's role from last year.

I was really hoping that Burgess could take over that role but so far he can't even make it to the field.

I think the Rams were really hoping that as well.

Rapp is definitely a close to the line type safety.

Scott? Makes too many mistakes.

Umm Donte? He is really small but he does hit well. Good coverage guy. Maybe? I would give it a shot in practice and see if he can fit there.

But even with that in mind, that is one position we really need to work on during the offseason.
I like Rochell as a prospect, as a player right now, there's no comparison between him and what Hill was for the Rams last year. Hill was a vet who could play outside, slot and star seamlessly. Rochell just doesn't have the experience. I think the best you hope for with him this season is a guy who can play outside corner and, hopefully, some man coverage.

The loss of Hill and Johnson is something that I think is consistently underplayed on here when it comes to assessing the job Morris is doing... especially without capable replacements. Long was supposed to be the guy coming in for Hill and Burgess was expected to help at safety in coverage situations (neither he or Rapp were expected, imo, to be the "one guy" replacing Johnson because neither is a complete player).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It seems to me that we don’t really know where the philosophy is coming from. Isn’t it possible that during games and in meetings all week, Raheem is begging to be able to press closer - to get up in the face of the offense and challenge them and that it is McVay who is calling for the bend not break mindset? That McVay is mandating that no one gets beat over the top at all costs?

I know with Wade, we heard that McV had the offense and Wade had the D. Is that still the case? Is McV hands off on D? I feel like we have played too far off for as long as McV has been here. Teams have been trying to “get the ball out quickly” against us as long as AD has been in horns.

i guess what I am asking is - are we sure we are blaming the right guy?
I've been asking that question a lot and get a lot of pushback.

I say it's McVay's D... especially since he had Morris come in and run something he hadn't run before.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If we don't start covering the short routes our pass rush will be negated all year as will our chances of going to the playoffs.
Surely we can cover people for 2.5 seconds!

I don’t know that ? There is a big difference.I know Troy Reeder had a bad game against GB.The Rams have been the youngest team in The NFL. Ernest Jones is still young & learning.
There is a difference in coverages.Down & distance is a thing.
The Rams have a certain mindset & believe.These last 3 losses don’t come LIGHTLY!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Rochell as a prospect, as a player right now, there's no comparison between him and what Hill was for the Rams last year. Hill was a vet who could play outside, slot and star seamlessly. Rochell just doesn't have the experience. I think the best you hope for with him this season is a guy who can play outside corner and, hopefully, some man coverage.

The loss of Hill and Johnson is something that I think is consistently underplayed on here when it comes to assessing the job Morris is doing... especially without capable replacements. Long was supposed to be the guy coming in for Hill and Burgess was expected to help at safety in coverage situations (neither he or Rapp were expected, imo, to be the "one guy" replacing Johnson because neither is a complete player).

I totally disagree. Rapp was the first Ram draft pick in 2019.Fuller was the biggest surprise draft pick in 2020.
JJ was hurt in 2019 ? I don’t know correct me if I’m wrong.I do know The Rams have had nagging injuries on certain DB’s.
Tell me what you think of DD21? He has out played D.Long. Go back to 2019 with him as well.I’m like Raheem Morris & not a big stat guy,but still like to check them out time to time to help get a clearer picture.

So as much a you want to think some don’t know what Hill & JJ did last season or as Rams vary.I for one have my own opinion.Still think RAMsey & Rapp messed up against the Niners & The Rams had a chance at a nice SuperBowl run in 2019. Les Snead would probably agree.Looking back it was a reason Wade has not worked pretty much after that.(Zona).

I know I drew it out way to much,but JJ has47 tackles in 12games w/Browns

Rapp 12 games w/ The Rams 44 solo & 66 total if STATS mean anything.

The stat I know just like Rodney McCloud.Hill & JJ got paid & will give The Rams comp picks. Win-win.

Les Snead reloaded with RR31 who could be a All Pro ? I like his career from 2022 & beyond more than any of these other players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I didn’t see The Game,but made The Call D. Williams was finally healthy going all the way back to training camp when his ankle got rolled.DD21 came in & is a zone (island CB). RR 31 had his arm injury.

Saw D. Williams last week try to get a ball loose against GB. My GF saw it when we replayed it.He has such good Football IQ. RAMsey as well,which will makes RR31 only better from waiting his turn. DD21 is scrappy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I totally disagree. Rapp was the first Ram draft pick in 2019.Fuller was the biggest surprise draft pick in 2020.
JJ was hurt in 2019 ? I don’t know correct me if I’m wrong.I do know The Rams have had nagging injuries on certain DB’s.
Tell me what you think of DD21? He has out played D.Long. Go back to 2019 with him as well.I’m like Raheem Morris & not a big stat guy,but still like to check them out time to time to help get a clearer picture.

So as much a you want to think some don’t know what Hill & JJ did last season or as Rams vary.I for one have my own opinion.Still think RAMsey & Rapp messed up against the Niners & The Rams had a chance at a nice SuperBowl run in 2019. Les Snead would probably agree.Looking back it was a reason Wade has not worked pretty much after that.(Zona).

I know I drew it out way to much,but JJ has47 tackles in 12games w/Browns

Rapp 12 games w/ The Rams 44 solo & 66 total if STATS mean anything.

The stat I know just like Rodney McCloud.Hill & JJ got paid & will give The Rams comp picks. Win-win.

Les Snead reloaded with RR31 who could be a All Pro ? I like his career from 2022 & beyond more than any of these other players.
I don't know what you're disagreeing with.

Fuller was great last year and has been better this year.

DD is a scrappy guy who's okay as a 5th corner on a roster... not as a 3rd. Way too small and too limited to rely upon.

JJ *with the Rams* and Hill *with the Rams* were much, much, MUCH better than the guys who have replaced them and it's not close. JJ rated out at an 85 on PFF last year... Rapp's at 62 and the eyeball test confirms there's a huge gap. Hill was 74 last year and Long is a 62 and Deayon is a 66.. and that doesn't even factor in that Hill played three positions well.

The drop off from those two losses in the defensive backfield has been really big.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Was just listening to "The Football Show" podcast on The Athletic... they were talking about the Cards D.. which is great against the pass this year.
They run a two-high with almost all zone.
One of the biggest factors that Vance Joseph has cited is that the players have some time together and can solve problems with each other in the defensive backfield.
Last year's Rams rolled in a rookie.. but the rest of the guys were coming in from the previous season and three guys.. Hill, Williams and JJ had been together for a couple of years.. Rapp as well.
I don't know how much of it is time together... or just miscast pieces.. or just bad players... or just players performing poorly... but the defensive backfield has not been good this year.
Again, fingers crossed that Rochell really steps up... and that Williams steps up as well. Those seem to be the only places we can really expect an impactful change, imo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nothing changed for me regarding Morris.

The D got to play with a lead which is not only what they're built for, but it's the only time Morris' scheme is worth a single damn.

I'm sure he's a fine human being. I really enjoy his press conferences.

That said, I really do not enjoy his scheme.

It's structurally unsound for the playoffs. There WILL be times when we must lock down and do not have the lead. Heck, this D isn't hardly made to play a team even up. It INVITES long drives of dink and dunk which the good teams are more than willing to do.

I will change my tune if Morris changes his and we see a different scheme on Monday night, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

I love this Rams team and they have the personnel to go all the way. McVay seems willing to do whatever it takes to get Stafford and this O on track.

We'll see if Morris will address the structural issues as best as he can or if he's just gonna keep doing it and making veiled references to players not making plays.

I don't enjoy that very much at all.

And while no, I don't expect him to be poached, unless we win it all, I surely expect him to be let go.

My jangled nerves and this roster cannot sustain another year of underperforming on defense like this.

However, I'll be only TOO GLAD to change my tune if Morris stops whatever hybrid monstrosity he's been stuck with and puts our guys in position to win their assignments... I don't care if he turns our D into the old 2-5 fer cryin' out loud...

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And while no, I don't expect him to be poached, unless we win it all, I surely expect him to be let go.
I think there's still a chance for him to enter the offseason as a hot commodity. He's going to need to finish strong and unfuck where he's come up short thus far.

He's sitting on a defensive front that can eat QBs. To do that he must have these DBs do a better job on the underneath routes and early reads. If he can get that going then this defense should round into shape as most teams won't have good enough protections to keep their QB safe unless they're dishing it out really quick.

So remove the quick outlets and start covering those hots. Then I think we'll see some QBs panicking instead of sustaining drives.