Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The takes are getting beyond ridiculous.

The idea of moving Ramsey is so he can make more plays.
He already has more tackles, passes defended and interceptions than last year.

Maybe take an objective look at what he has to work with in the defensive backfield.

Or don’t.

The problem is it has made the defense much worse than it was when he was locking down the best wr.

Why is it that Ramsey is allowed to be aggressive while everyone else has to play so far off? Has darious Williams made a single play this season?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The problem is it has made the defense much worse than it was when he was locking down the best wr.

Why is it that Ramsey is allowed to be aggressive while everyone else has to play so far off? Has darious Williams made a single play this season?

The problem, I’d say, is they lost two playmakers in thr defensive backfield and didn’t replace them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem, I’d say, is they lost two playmakers in thr defensive backfield and didn’t replace them.

I don't know. I haven't watched any Browns games this year but apparently hill and jj3 haven't made a difference there.

Is it the players or the scheme that allows players to make plays?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't know. I haven't watched any Browns games this year but apparently hill and jj3 haven't made a difference there.

Is it the players or the scheme that allows players to make plays?

I think that’s more about being in a completely new situation, overall.
They both thrived in 19.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that’s more about being in a completely new situation, overall.
They both thrived in 19.

In 19 ? In 2020 Troy Hill had 2 pick 6’s & a fumble recovery for a TD.

If you look at Matthew Stafford the last 3 weeks he has 3 pick 6’s.Let’s talk situational football when it comes to Morris as a DC.

Staley over in SD(la) has the worst run D in the NFL.Is it the scheme or the players.

How Woods has been mainly a DB’s coach.I’ll take Raheem Morris thank you very much.Any Ram Fan doesn’t agree has that freedom of choice.Good luck convincing Sean Mcvay that Morris isn’t the best person to be The Rams DC..IMO he will be with The Rams for awhile.

JJ is a good play & better than Taylor Rapp.Troy Hill wasn’t a very good cover CB & excelled in zone.He tackles well & The Rams we’re able to move him around.

We can talk about The Rams CB’s & depth.I’ve never heard McVay give so much respect to a player like DD21.He is a small guy & has limits.RR31 is a gamer & going to be a very good CB in The NFL. The player I saw & think is the KEY to The Rams defense is Williams. He looked as healthy as he has been all season.IMO his cover skills has helped all the above players out. Add of course All Pro 5.

We’ll see how the season finishes out.Troy Hill the last I checked was very lucky if not having a real bad injury. —JJ talking crap about Cooper Kupp,only to have Robert Woods get hurt right after the OBj3 signing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

"Aaron Rodgers said on the “Pat McAfee Show” Tuesday that the Packers went into Sunday’s game with a plan to get the ball out quickly because of the presence of Donald, Floyd and Miller. They executed that perfectly, with Rodgers averaging only 2.64 seconds from snap to throw – seventh-lowest in the NFL for Week 12 and slightly below his average of 2.68 seconds."

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If we don't start covering the short routes our pass rush will be negated all year as will our chances of going to the playoffs.
Surely we can cover people for 2.5 seconds!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

"Aaron Rodgers said on the “Pat McAfee Show” Tuesday that the Packers went into Sunday’s game with a plan to get the ball out quickly because of the presence of Donald, Floyd and Miller. They executed that perfectly, with Rodgers averaging only 2.64 seconds from snap to throw – seventh-lowest in the NFL for Week 12 and slightly below his average of 2.68 seconds."
“I think the first thing is, is that we’re not doing a good enough job of controlling the tempo of the game and getting leads where you can really unleash your pass rush,”

Tano

Legend
“I think the first thing is, is that we’re not doing a good enough job of controlling the tempo of the game and getting leads where you can really unleash your pass rush,”
Even if we controlled the tempo of the game, we still wouldn't get to Rodgers since he got rid of the ball so fast. And that is because we are giving receivers 10 yards before coverage even makes contact with the receiver. I just dont like it. Never have.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Even if we controlled the tempo of the game, we still wouldn't get to Rodgers since he got rid of the ball so fast. And that is because we are giving receivers 10 yards before coverage even makes contact with the receiver. I just dont like it. Never have.
Well, the head coach seems to think it matters, so I don't know what to tell you.

Tano

Legend
Well, the head coach seems to think it matters, so I don't know what to tell you.
I think he is covering for his friend. Doesn't want to get into the blame game either.

We will see if Morris survives the offseason.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think he is covering for his friend. Doesn't want to get into the blame game either.

We will see if Morris survives the offseason.
Yeah, he probably doesn’t think falling behind because of turnovers is an actual problem.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Now allowed to "criticize" but I will anyway. He's trash and has never been any good. He ruined our defense and he's too unintelligent to do anything to fix it. I'm on the fire Morris bandwagon. Gave him many chances this set and Im not doing it anymore.
Time to go, Bud

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One of the things people have harped on all week was Reeder on Adams on a third down.. .
Well.. don't look to Fangio, I guess. He had Kenny Young over Tyreek Hill and KC picked up an easy first.

Ric Flair

Rookie
Name
Spanky
Good news, bad news.

Good news: Our D coordinator won’t be Poached to a new team next year.

Bad news: We’ll still have the same D coordinator next year.

Still seeing soft coverage on short yard 3rd down plays.

Unfortunately for Morris, his defense won’t be facing a rookie QB on a bad team every week.

WOoOOoOoo

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Good news, bad news.

Good news: Our D coordinator won’t be Poached to a new team next year.

Bad news: We’ll still have the same D coordinator next year.

Still seeing soft coverage on short yard 3rd down plays.

Unfortunately for Morris, his defense won’t be facing a rookie QB on a bad team every week.

WOoOOoOoo

That's been the issue with Morris' scheme. If you run and are willing to take 3, 4, 5 and 6 yards, it's available on almost every play. The whiners, packers and to some degree the Titans took full advantage of our soft coverage on 3rd downs. It neutralizes AD because the ball comes out quickly and our DBs cannot play off the ball 7-8 yards on 3rd and short. The whiners and packers were able to create 15+ play morale busting drives on us. Then you add in the turnovers and we had no chance in those games.

The whiners were playing to not let Garapolo lose the game and we played right into their hands. Seriously, McVay need to go look at how the she pigeons play the whiners because they've pretty much owned them with Russell Wilson playing.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

Exactly. Lots of heat on Miller, and the pass rush generally. I think that misses the true issue - our pass defence in the short to intermediate range.

The other team gets paid too. Miller and Donald aren't just going to run to the QB untouched. Maybe on like 1% of plays, due to a missed assignment. Otherwise, the other team has blockers - and surprise, they are usually NFL calibre. If teams get the ball out in 2.5 seconds, no pass rush is getting home. The Rams need to shore up their short-to-mid-range pass defence, so that teams can't just scheme our d-line out of the game. To my eyes, Donald is starting to decline ever so slowly. He is still super elite, but I would argue not super human this year. Miller is not what he once was but is still a very good pass rusher. As is Floyd. This d-line will get home if the QB ever has to hold the football. You can't double team everyone. But if opposing QBs can just continue to absolutely abuse this defence with short throws... we might as well pack it in now.

Tano

Legend
One thing I did notice yesterday.

Williams was allowed to play within 5 yards of the receiver on quite a few plays and not once was the receiver open in time for the QB to get the ball to the receiver once our pass rushed got to the QB.

The Rams have the players to do this on almost every play.

Let's continue playing Williams up close to the receiver. Our pass rush will get to the QB when we do that.

And if we have to play Reeder on 3rd down, have him rush the passer on half of those plays. He has a heck of a pass rush when allowed to rush the passer.