Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
And the defense doesn't have Hollins, SJD or Kenny Young from this season.
And the guys Morris was given to work with on the back end.. Rapp, Burgess and Long are not good.

Could it be something like calling for a fake FG with 8 seconds left deep in the enemy territory? That kind of mind-blowingly bad decision?

No, I'm not here to take McVay down. I think the "fire Morris" stuff is just wrong and think the big picture is about McVay.

The defense has a hall of famer at each level.
And again the defense is primarily the same starters offense is not the most glaring change is th qb which is what controls it all.

However again nobody denying all phase not optimal right now but we are talking scheme and the scheme being played on defense is not optimal for obviously the defense and then the offense.

Just using logic if the rams with a decent defense 10 possessions for the game and. Just making a number up for an example but now with these long drives by opposing teams eating quarters up like nothing say the possessions go down to 6 or 7 now typically how many possessions do you expect to score on and God for bid the offense turns it over like they have or we have to punt it basically means score or else we are done on what turns out to be very few possessions. Then when you facto in a Koski muff well there goes another possession. In essence the offense needs to be damn near perfect for us to win. The defense does not. You cannot expect the offens to be perfect ever let alone with all the newness to it it is much easier to incorporate a olb on a defense than a wideout. When you factor in all that of course it creates so much pressure on qb wideouts and then leaves an insecure stubborn mcvay to make some crap calls because how many more chances will we get with the ball.

Example you I and the world knows how many times have we been inside the 20 or 30 or even the 10 and it's like 4 and 2 or 1 and we like dude be aggressive go for it and mcvay kicks the fg because he knows or new the possessions will equal out or be in our favour by games end and we will score. However wt did we see Sunday the guy is going for it from wt his own 35??? Yes has call. Yes reeks of desperation but he knows his possessions will be limited and each one now is like gold. So he goes for it. That's how Morris and the defense effect the game ...it's not fair to expect the offense to score on limited possessions while trying to incorporate new quarterbacks new receivers etc. because the defense can't get consistent stops quick 3 and outs. You want to get your offense as many possessions as possible we are far from that.

Last thing yes bend don't break is wonderful but not all game you can't let teams eat up all that time ultimately it's about stops but within time frames too or your defense will be totally gassed by halftime.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The defense has a hall of famer at each level.
And again the defense is primarily the same starters offense is not the most glaring change is th qb which is what controls it all.

However again nobody denying all phase not optimal right now but we are talking scheme and the scheme being played on defense is not optimal for obviously the defense and then the offense.

Just using logic if the rams with a decent defense 10 possessions for the game and. Just making a number up for an example but now with these long drives by opposing teams eating quarters up like nothing say the possessions go down to 6 or 7 now typically how many possessions do you expect to score on and God for bid the offense turns it over like they have or we have to punt it basically means score or else we are done on what turns out to be very few possessions. Then when you facto in a Koski muff well there goes another possession. In essence the offense needs to be damn near perfect for us to win. The defense does not. You cannot expect the offens to be perfect ever let alone with all the newness to it it is much easier to incorporate a olb on a defense than a wideout. When you factor in all that of course it creates so much pressure on qb wideouts and then leaves an insecure stubborn mcvay to make some crap calls because how many more chances will we get with the ball.

Example you I and the world knows how many times have we been inside the 20 or 30 or even the 10 and it's like 4 and 2 or 1 and we like dude be aggressive go for it and mcvay kicks the fg because he knows or new the possessions will equal out or be in our favour by games end and we will score. However wt did we see Sunday the guy is going for it from wt his own 35??? Yes has call. Yes reeks of desperation but he knows his possessions will be limited and each one now is like gold. So he goes for it. That's how Morris and the defense effect the game ...it's not fair to expect the offense to score on limited possessions while trying to incorporate new quarterbacks new receivers etc. because the defense can't get consistent stops quick 3 and outs. You want to get your offense as many possessions as possible we are far from that.

Last thing yes bend don't break is wonderful but not all game you can't let teams eat up all that time ultimately it's about stops but within time frames too or your defense will be totally gassed by halftime.
Just use logic.

Offense & special teams spotted the Pack 19 points.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Morris has a long way to go. He's a smart dude but he is not a top DC not even close. His development the rest of the way is one of the big questions as well wrt how far this team goes.

We have to call McVay out as well for the stupid scheming that Morris is doing, as Orlovsky observed, and not just for the bad hire.

Who is coaching the Packers? Matt LeFluer, a guy who used to work for McVay and undoubtedly learned a lot from him. And if McVay was on the other side the field, coaching the Packers on Sunday, he would have very likely done the same exact thing that LaFluer did. He would have definitely taken advantage of the same mismatches (Remember the Vikings game a few years ago where he got Kupp in a matchup against their linebackers?). And McVay certainly should have anticipated that LaFluer would gameplan the Packer O exactly as he did and thus should have directed Morris to adjust accordingly accordingly.

That he didn't this game and hasn't in multiple games this season is another way he is letting the team down. He needs to be a lot better than he has been this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was being sarcastic but what we are talking about is that the defensive players that left were not defense ending players but we all expected a dip.

What we are truly discussing is usage of what you have.
And while by no means is mcvay blameless he has a huge part on this maybe he needs to stop rah rah and kick ass..maybe don't hire Morris .. there are many things that we can take issue with however at least as far as using what you got scheming etc while both he and Morris are under performing morris by far is under performing. The defense is making the offense even worse. I mean clearly everyone or most understand this. Clearly it's being said by many here in the forum, media, broadcasters. They constantly during the games say something about they don't understand why Ramsey etc. Or why the safeties are always 2 deep or why the zone cushion of 6-9 yds when a teams may need 6 yds. Just not making sense.

Everyone is to blame here and special teams blow too. It's no coincidence though all 3 phase suffer when one phase is suffering so in my opinion blame goes everywhere but if the defense was better or at least schemed better scheme to your strengths and if you suck then we'll then the players suck. Can't fit a square peg in a round hole.
The offense with new players no woods and a stubborn coach cannot afford to lose possessions over and over.
Your conclusion about the defense making the offense worse is *exactly” the kind of stuff that I take great exception to.
The offense has spotted the other team points three games in a row.. but.. somehow.. the defense is making the offense worse.
Nonsensical, at best.
When you net out the Rams offense against Green Bay, it produced 15 points.
The defense let up 17.
When you look at those numbers relative to expected points produced, which one is "greatly underperforming"?

Clearly, based on NFL history, spotting opposing teams points off turnovers is a recipe for losing.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Just use logic.

Offense & special teams spotted the Pack 19 points.

Dude broken record do you read what I'm trying to say? I get that but that's the small picture I'm trying to talk the bigger picture. That's all yes your right it's hard to come back from spotting 19 pts but even harder to do it on less possessions and quick strikes because who knows when you will see the ball.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Your conclusion about the defense making the offense worse is *exactly” the kind of stuff that I take great exception to.
The offense has spotted the other team points three games in a row.. but.. somehow.. the defense is making the offense worse.
Nonsensical, at best.
When you net out the Rams offense against Green Bay, it produced 15 points.
The defense let up 17.
When you look at those numbers relative to expected points produced, which one is "greatly underperforming"?

Clearly, based on NFL history, spotting opposing teams points off turnovers is a recipe for losing.
Never mind i can see what your saying but seems you have no give as to what I'm saying or just not understanding. We agree to disagree all good.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Dude broken record do you read what I'm trying to say? I get that but that's the small picture I'm trying to talk the bigger picture. That's all yes your right it's hard to come back from spotting 19 pts but even harder to do it on less possessions and quick strikes because who knows when you will see the ball.
There’s no bigger picture in the last three losses than the offense spotting the other team points.
How about the offense being unable to produced long, sustained drives? Why doesn’t that factor in for you?

Turnovers… especially ones that include scores or lead directly to scores are, by far, the biggest factor in the Rams recent losses.

If you want to talk about how unit’s compliment each other, it starts there.

Get rid of those, and see what your game plan actually looks like in normal circumstances, and I’m happy to put more blame on the D.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There’s no bigger picture in the last three losses than the offense spotting the other team points.
How about the offense being unable to produced long, sustained drives? Why doesn’t that factor in for you?

Turnovers… especially ones that include scores or lead directly to scores are, by far, the biggest factor in the Rams recent losses.

Get rid of those, and see what your game plan actually looks like in normal circumstances, and I’m happy to put more blame on the D.
Lmao ok

I'm starting to think your lack of seeing some points equally feels very much like you are trying to single out mcvay maybe because there are still wounds from goff. Feels very un-natural to not see points from every perspective and just try to blame the offense and single out mcvay ...Me thinks there is an agenda but apparently what do I know as well as most of the football world. It's all mcvay and the offense bring in the moustache!!!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Generally love your posts, but gonna have to "agree to disagree" on your "defense of the defense."

Yes, the O has been terrible, ball control terrible, turnovers are killers, and McVay needs to shoulder blame. And yeah the D played fine vs Tenn.

But ball control has been a HUGE problem for this D all year. (It started in the opening games against IND and CHI, and it's been pretty consistent ever since). Losses to GB and SF weren't just about turnovers. Both teams successfully played keep-away and bled us to death.

Rams TOP vs GB: lost by 36 to 24 min. And with SF it was even worse, almost double, almost 40 mins to 20.

Rams are 29th in the league in time of possession. Down there with Detroit, Hou, Jax, and Sea. That's some really bad company.

Defense just continually plays vanilla soft D and continually gives up long soul crushing drives. Yes there's plenty of blame for O and ST and coaching and execution... but IMHO the Morris "bend but don't break" obsession has been absolutely a very significant part of this team's problems.

Again, just respectfully disagree on this one. Watching our D in 2021 makes me want to pull my hair out, it's so predictable and passive and stupid. Orlovsky is right IMHO.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Generally love your posts, but gonna have to "agree to disagree" on your "defense of the defense."

Yes, the O has been terrible, ball control terrible, McVay needs to shoulder blame. And yeah the D played fine vs Tenn.

But ball control has been a HUGE problem for this D all year. (It started in the opening games against IND and CHI, and it's been pretty consistent ever since). Losses to GB and SF weren't just about turnovers. Both teams successfully played keep-away and bled us to death.

Rams TOP vs GB: lost by 36 to 24 min. And with SF it was even worse, almost double, almost 40 mins to 20.

Rams are 29th in the league in time of possession. Down there with Detroit, Hou, Jax, and Sea. That's some really bad company.

Defense just continually plays vanilla soft D and continually gives up long soul crushing drives. Yes there's plenty of blame for O and ST and coaching and execution... but IMHO the Morris "bend but don't break" obsession has been absolutely a very significant part of this team's problems.

Again, just respectfully disagree on this one. Watching our D in 2021 makes me want to pull my hair out, it's so predictable and passive and stupid. Orlovsky is right IMHO.

To buttress your point, the inability of our D to get off the field puts even more pressure on the O to score and take chances and increases the likeliness of turnovers that will dig us into a deeper hole. Fixing the lopsided TOP problem requires better play on BOTH sides of the ball.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Yes, the O has been terrible, ball control terrible, turnovers are killers, and McVay needs to shoulder blame. And yeah the D played fine vs Tenn.

THIS!!!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
To buttress your point, the inability of our D to get off the field puts even more pressure on the O to score and take chances and increases the likeliness of turnovers that will dig us into a deeper hole. Fixing the lopsided TOP problem requires better play on BOTH sides of the ball.

AND THIS!!!!!

oldnotdead

Legend
I said it before this 3 game losing streak. Because of Morris' stupid obsession that stats don't matter so he plays a ultra soft scheme, this team will struggle if it gets behind.

If you bother to break down McVay's offense its structured with the assumption that he's playing with a lead or the D can get stops and not give up those heartbreaking long drives. This ultimately falls on McVay. His inability to play from behind, to make adjustments during a game, his hiring of Morris, and his ball-less inability to force Morris to change how he plays his guys are all on McVay as HC.

Wade Phillips defense was ranked 17th in the NFL and he got fired. Morris' defense is ranked 21st and trending down. Why is he still on the team? This is basically the same defense that was #1 under Staley last year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lmao ok

I'm starting to think your lack of seeing some points equally feels very much like you are trying to single out mcvay maybe because there are still wounds from goff. Feels very un-natural to not see points from every perspective and just try to blame the offense and single out mcvay ...Me thinks there is an agenda but apparently what do I know as well as most of the football world. It's all mcvay and the offense bring in the moustache!!!
One of the things I enjoy on this site is the moderators.
Posters are encouraged to stay on point.
The defense played well enough to win against Green Bay & Tennessee. We can debate which unit was worse in the 9ers game. Both units sucked against AZ.

The defense has been out schemed the last two weeks, for sure.

I’ve never once suggested getting rid of McVay & I’m happy they moved on from Goff.

My agenda is taking a holistic look at why the Rams are losing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You will not win many NFL games if you spot the opposition points.

Turnover margin is the most predictive statistic available to us.

Time of possession is a problem.. and an offense that doesn’t have many long drives certainly impacts that number.

I’m stunned that the idea that when an offense scores fewer points than expected… AND produced points for the other team ISNT SEEN as the biggest problem in the recent losses.

You got me guys… I really, really hate turnovers… especially when they hand the opposition points.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
One of the things I enjoy on this site is the moderators.
Posters are encouraged to stay on point.
The defense played well enough to win against Green Bay & Tennessee. We can debate which unit was worse in the 9ers game. Both units sucked against AZ.

The defense has been out schemed the last two weeks, for sure.

I’ve never once suggested getting rid of McVay & I’m happy they moved on from Goff.

My agenda is taking a holistic look at why the Rams are losing.

And I agree I have said multiple times all 3 phase are to blame however sometimes teams have a great offense and a crap defense but they stay in because just as quick as the defense gives it up the offense scores so typically that's one way. Then there are teams that have had great defenses and terrible offenses and sometimes still carry a team but inevitably if the offense gives short fields can't score enough it goes to crap eventually.

This situation is a bit different it's like a merry-go-round. I agree with you about Tennessee however we got manhandled and the offense did not play well but we were 7-1 maybe over confident bound to lose again that said in our situation you need to always check time of possession.

Just simple football less possessions give you less chances of scoring now if teams are eating up chunks of time then the offense begins to force shit, feel pressured, bad plays, bad play calling, no flow, new players, force quick strikes, coach also in his own head, that's where your/our theory comes in yes offense needs to be better but inevitably the defense is cutting the offenses chances of sustainable scoring and flow by the defense being on the field for huge chunks. So it's about the scheme to me the bend don't break is keeping our offense off the field and when they come with on the field they cannot make mistakes or they are magnified a 1000%.

These 3 phases are not fitting they are not in harmony together because they are actually clashing they are counter intuitive and that is on mcvay to fix but to fix it he has to either replace morris, take some sort of control, or stop with the positive bullshit and rip them a new one.

What's the point of acquiring pass rushers if your leaving middle of field wide open dbs 6-8yds off. The Flash couldnt get to a qb. then we all know ILB is our weakness so you constantly leave 2 safeties high and just expose crappy backers? I haven't even mentioned the Ramsey thing that's old news at this point. Get some turnovers that would at least give possessions back that's how you try to rectify that.

Morris's defense/mcvays offense right now don't fit and probably never will.

Essentially teams have a blueprint to beat us and we are the ones executing it for them. The whiners basically doubled t.o.p. and it showed with what 10 PTS? Green Bay had almost a full quarter more possession time and we still scored 28 points and the offense turned it over and special teams as well. Had we gotten off the field 2-3 more times maybe we win maybe we have more points from extra drives but the offense is given a smaller window and they need to be virtually perfect. That's hard man. Hope it all works itself out.

To be clear I myself am putting a lot of blame on mcvay some for shitty play calling but more for some of these other reasons there are no friends here coach get your staff in line and cut back on the damn Hollywood commercials!!!

Even his coach mcvay show video of shock at how angry fans were totally blew me actually that scared me. You as the coach should be that angry so I hear you loud and clear but for me I'm just widening my p.o.v. doesn't mean you have to.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And I agree I have said multiple times all 3 phase are to blame however sometimes teams have a great offense and a crap defense but they stay in because just as quick as the defense gives it up the offense scores so typically that's one way. Then there are teams that have had great defenses and terrible offenses and sometimes still carry a team but inevitably if the offense gives short fields can't score enough it goes to crap eventually.

This situation is a bit different it's like a merry-go-round. I agree with you about Tennessee however we got manhandled and the offense did not play well but we were 7-1 maybe over confident bound to lose again that said in our situation you need to always check time of possession.

Just simple football less possessions give you less chances of scoring now if teams are eating up chunks of time then the offense begins to force shit, feel pressured, bad plays, bad play calling, no flow, new players, force quick strikes, coach also in his own head, that's where your/our theory comes in yes offense needs to be better but inevitably the defense is cutting the offenses chances of sustainable scoring and flow by the defense being on the field for huge chunks. So it's about the scheme to me the bend don't break is keeping our offense off the field and when they come with on the field they cannot make mistakes or they are magnified a 1000%.

These 3 phases are not fitting they are not in harmony together because they are actually clashing they are counter intuitive and that is on mcvay to fix but to fix it he has to either replace morris, take some sort of control, or stop with the positive bullshit and rip them a new one.

What's the point of acquiring pass rushers if your leaving middle of field wide open dbs 6-8yds off. The Flash couldnt get to a qb. then we all know ILB is our weakness so you constantly leave 2 safeties high and just expose crappy backers? I haven't even mentioned the Ramsey thing that's old news at this point. Get some turnovers that would at least give possessions back that's how you try to rectify that.

Morris's defense/mcvays offense right now don't fit and probably never will.

Essentially teams have a blueprint to beat us and we are the ones executing it for them. The whiners basically doubled t.o.p. and it showed with what 10 PTS? Green Bay had almost a full quarter more possession time and we still scored 28 points and the offense turned it over and special teams as well. Had we gotten off the field 2-3 more times maybe we win maybe we have more points from extra drives but the offense is given a smaller window and they need to be virtually perfect. That's hard man. Hope it all works itself out.

To be clear I myself am putting a lot of blame on mcvay some for shitty play calling but more for some of these other reasons there are no friends here coach get your staff in line and cut back on the damn Hollywood commercials!!!

Even his coach mcvay show video of shock at how angry fans were totally blew me actually that scared me. You as the coach should be that angry so I hear you loud and clear but for me I'm just widening my p.o.v. doesn't mean you have to.

All of what you say makes sense!!

But none of that, to me, cost the Rams the last 3 games.

Much like we can imagine more possessions would mean more points, why can’t it be equally true that it could mean more turnovers?? That’s a very fair question based on how the offense is performing. They have not addressed any of the issues on offense that are plaguing them, imo. Have they adjusted scheme for more short passes? Added a TE for more power runs? No. So, any assumption of more productivity right now needs to be held up to that light.

Turnovers kill.
Turnovers for points really kill.
Multiple turnovers leading to scores annihilates.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
All of what you say makes sense!!

But none of that, to me, cost the Rams the last 3 games.

Much like we can imagine more possessions would mean more points, why can’t it be equally true that it could mean more turnovers?? That’s a very fair question based on how the offense is performing. They have not addressed any of the issues on offense that are plaguing them, imo. Have they adjusted scheme for more short passes? Added a TE for more power runs? No. So, any assumption of more productivity right now needs to be held up to that light.

Turnovers kill.
Turnovers for points really kill.
Multiple turnovers leading to scores annihilates.

Again less possessions snowballs an offense into other issues. Read @AvengerRam thread.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Again less possessions snowballs an offense into other issues. Read @AvengerRam thread.
Which… sure.. in a normal game?
When you spot the other team points, that changes things.
Again.. Niners game? Fair conversation there.
Not the other 2 losses. Waaaaaaay more blame on the offense.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Which… sure.. in a normal game?
When you spot the other team points, that changes things.
Again.. Niners game? Fair conversation there.
Not the other 2 losses. Waaaaaaay more blame on the offense.

Na man sorry