Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But he's not a DC this year.
We all think highly of him... but, if he was that good, don't you guys think he would've gotten a DC gig?
Staley picked a guy who coached the same position for the Broncos over him.

And that proves what exactly?

oldnotdead

Legend
I'll ask this again..

Do you think the Rams defensive structures and approach in this game were created without a lot of input from McVay?
Do you think Morris came up with the gameplan on his own?

Because, after hiring a guy he knows and telling him he has to adjust to the defense that the Rams were already running, I don't.

Individual play calls? I guess that's a place we can start to look at Morris more closely.

But, conceptually? Sorry, McVay's fingerprints are all over that.

I think he did with Morris what he did with Wade Phillips and Staley prior to Morris, i.e. he gave them a free hand to run the defense they thought was best. This defense was better under Phillips than Morris. The problem Phillips had was in the players. Rogue players like Marcus Peters, Roby-Coleman, and over the hill Talib and an off and on Suh sabotaged his scheme and got him fired.

McVay historically has never really gotten involved with the designing of the scheme, how it's played or the play calling.

Wade Phillips: Played an aggressive 3-4 hybrid scheme. He mixed his coverages, from man to zone. If he had the talent this defense has then IMO it would be a top 5 unit and this team would be a contender for the division.

Staley: Played a zone scheme with man coverage concepts. Again he was very aggressive and intentionally prioritized the pass defense. Once a receiver entered a zone the DB or LB would plaster that receiver to force a contested reception or make the QB hold the ball longer giving the pass rush time to get to the QB.

Morris: Plays a passive conventional zone scheme. He has his DBs and LBs drop to their zone then stand there like statues and react only when the pass is thrown. That makes them late and the reception is rarely contested. A perfect example was on Sunday when the Packers were in 3rd and 5 and the CB was playing 8 yards off. There was no way he was going to stop the reception. Another was another 3rd and long and the receiver simply split the zone and the camera showed a LB and DB just standing there as the receiver simply turned around and made the catch and only then did the defenders react.

WTF kind of scheme is that? Again, I have no problem with zone defenses if played aggressively. Morris' defense is too fucking soft. He plays his players passively. McVay simply tries to deflect the criticism of Morris but he's done nothing to change a fucking thing. This is pure Morris and I'm hearing it's why he got fired last time.

This season is going down the toilet because of McVay's stale scheme and Morris' failure of bend and hope you don't break.

Ellard80

Legend
The only game I remember us blitzing much at all was Arizona... it didnt work well and since then feels like we don't blitz much anymore.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
and… boy… if they do end up firing Morris?

How much would that say about McVay’s ability to lead an organization?

Tano

Legend
and… boy… if they do end up firing Morris?

How much would that say about McVay’s ability to lead an organization?
People make mistakes - it happens

Own it and move on

I would have a lot of respect for McVay if he did that

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
People make mistakes - it happens

Own it and move on

I would have a lot of respect for McVay if he did that
Not me.

You can’t write off a season because you like someone.

It would also feel like scapegoating… you couldn’t spend money on D because of your QB decisions.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Looks like the Rams will make a wild card spot but I don't expect it to be a deep run. I thought the Rams would have fresh legs and something new after the bye. Nope nothing!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For this D to take a step up, Rochell will have to grow up fast and Williams will have to straighten himself out.

I guess we can dream that there's some reason Burgess isn't playing, other than he can't get the job done... but that seems unlikely. Maybe his injury was so bad that he's still not right.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know a lot of people want Morris fired. But I don't see a team still in the playoff hunt firing a coordinator. Things like that just don't happen. I think we have to accept the fact that Morris is going to be the DC for this season. If the defense continues to play like the last two games I don't think we will go far. If we make the playoffs. That is far from a given.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I should kick out on this stuff.

My big picture point here is that firing Morris isn't going to do anything to help the Rams improve if McVay doesn't get his shit together as a leader of the team and as an offensive coordinator. We are seeing failures in all three units and he's the man in charge. The fact that people are hyper focused on Morris and are basically ignoring the godawful Special Teams and the total bed-shitting by the offense is just something that I get distracted by.

McVay is the man.. he's great, but his weaknesses are becoming more defined and more pronounced.
He lost to many good coaches and they combined with him was a playoff contending team. Now it's just him and the results are obvious. The worse case scenario I never thought we would see. I was bamboozled!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He lost to many good coaches and they combined with him was a playoff contending team. Now it's just him and the results are obvious. The worse case scenario I never thought we would see. I was bamboozled!
I agree that coaching losses were significant.
But I think the player loss *combined* with missing on key draft picks is one of the big parts of the story.

What's going on in the Rams scouting/drafting and then player development and *assessment*?
How did they go into this season thinking they could count on David Long, Troy Reeder, Taylor Rapp, Nick Scott and Terrell Burgess? What in the hell is going on with Hopkins?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

View: https://twitter.com/LArams4L/status/1465427405481328651?t=sjauaYa-SE53uj0HbxG-lQ&s=19

Now we may be nobody's we may just bullshit and bicker observe give opinions but if we know this and they know this. Rex Ryan sitting right there Dan is actually angry this can't be. It's like self sabotage. Hearing it from people that actually played the game is making me angry. We may be a Ramily but we are just people on a forum right but to hear someone that played my blood pressure is sky rocketing as I type this. You have to question wtf is going on.

Looking on the bright side of this season is that nobody is going to want to pilfer our coaches this year....

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Not me.

You can’t write off a season because you like someone.

It would also feel like scapegoating… you couldn’t spend money on D because of your QB decisions.
You would rather see McVay stick with a mistake to save face rather than make the right decision for the organization? Weird choice, but you do you.

If McVay hired the wrong guy, then fires him because he's the wrong guy, how is that scapegoating? Blaming the players, the assistant coaches, or the equipment manager could be scapegoating. Blaming the guy making the mistakes isn't. If the argument is that McVay hired the wrong guy so McVay is really the one to blame, what do you expect him to do? Fire himself?

McVay has a lot of things to answer for on the offensive side of the ball and for the team's mis-management of special teams. However, all of that is a separate issue from Morris not being the right guy for the defense. If Morris isn't the right guy, then Morris isn't the right guy. Who else is supposed to get replaced to fix the defense but Morris?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You would rather see McVay stick with a mistake to save face rather than make the right decision for the organization? Weird choice, but you do you.

If McVay hired the wrong guy, then fires him because he's the wrong guy, how is that scapegoating? Blaming the players, the assistant coaches, or the equipment manager could be scapegoating. Blaming the guy making the mistakes isn't. If the argument is that McVay hired the wrong guy so McVay is really the one to blame, what do you expect him to do? Fire himself?

McVay has a lot of things to answer for on the offensive side of the ball and for the team's mis-management of special teams. However, all of that is a separate issue from Morris not being the right guy for the defense. If Morris isn't the right guy, then Morris isn't the right guy. Who else is supposed to get replaced to fix the defense but Morris?
No.
I'm saying it's not going to make me respect him more.
And I'm also saying that I disagree with people on Morris being "bad." People have issues with the Rams scheme, I get it. I have a greater problem with the players on D right now and that ain't Morris' fault.

He's got one reliable corner and one reliable safety in the defensive backfield and no reliable ILBs.. they traded the one who was closest to reliable.

All this comes after losing a ton of players in the offseason and dealing with some significant injuries right now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/LArams4L/status/1465427405481328651?t=sjauaYa-SE53uj0HbxG-lQ&s=19

Now we may be nobody's we may just bullshit and bicker observe give opinions but if we know this and they know this. Rex Ryan sitting right there Dan is actually angry this can't be. It's like self sabotage. Hearing it from people that actually played the game is making me angry. We may be a Ramily but we are just people on a forum right but to hear someone that played my blood pressure is sky rocketing as I type this. You have to question wtf is going on.

They're seeing what we're seeing. We saw Ramsey covering the te while Rodgers passed to a wide open Adams covered by that snail reeder.

Ramsey can say whatever he wants but he's being wasted out there.