Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ssee-titans-los-angeles-rams-nfl/74924213007/

"I’m just going to be completely honest: I was shocked. We got off the flight from Houston and then I got told that I would be traded," Jones said Wednesday. "No bad blood. There wasn’t even any contract talks. We never even talked numbers. It was just, ‘All right, y’all aren’t extending me, I’ll play this year out.’ I was under the impression I was going to finish this year in L.A. and then I’d move on. But you know, it happened earlier."
Cool. Didn't remember seeing that. Now I do.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
A couple comments from Titans fans re. EJ:

"Dude is a beast, he was everywhere"

"Extend this man, NOW"

"What a steal"

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Sigh - what were the Rams thinking?
Yeah, that's what's so hard to figure out.

Knee concerns-- if it was so bad, then why is EJ playing like a "beast" as the top-rated Titan defender?

Contract-- A reasonable salary at the end of his rookie deal. And EJ said he was fully prepared to play out his contract and then become a FA next year.

Personal issues-- EJ said he was "shocked" by the trade and there was "no bad blood." And McVay has repeatedly said EJ was a great leader and handled things well and was a "pure professional."

Reeder and Rozeboom passed him on depth chart?-- kinda hard to believe this one, given the mediocre ILB play for the Rams and the glowing reports on EJ from the Titans.

Trade value-- Rams got next to nothing in return... not even a straight-up 5th round pick, just a SWAP of a 6th for a 5th. And the salary cap savings sure doesn't seem to justify the trade either.

So yeah, basically nothing makes sense. McVay says it was "good for the team in both the short-term and long-term."

Love McSnead, but this trade is unjustifiable from publicly available information. Gotta be a secret reason, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Love McSnead, but this trade is unjustifiable from publicly available information. Gotta be a secret reason, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
The lack of explanation seems to indicate there was “something”… what was it is the question haunting Rams fans.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I don't think we'll ever know, but this was a horrible move by us. Let's see what Speights can do, but I am not going to hold my breath. Sometimes, we just get it wrong. Like really wrong.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Nope, instead we are rolling woth our sorry ass LB corps and seeing we get what we paid for. Bargin bin BS. Hopefully Speights can be really good but that is a really really big ask.
Honestly I would have liked to see Speights alongside EJ. If EJ stays healthy all year McSnead will be kicking themselves in the ass for this trade.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't think we'll ever know, but this was a horrible move by us. Let's see what Speights can do, but I am not going to hold my breath. Sometimes, we just get it wrong. Like really wrong.
Seems to me the biggest issue is our interior DL is getting blown off the ball on running plays. So not sure LB is the biggest issue.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A couple comments from Titans fans re. EJ:

"Dude is a beast, he was everywhere"

"Extend this man, NOW"

"What a steal"
Good for him.

First he gets to play behind Aaron Donald and now he's got Jeffrey Simmons and Te'Vondre Sweat in front of him.

Wonder how he would look with the current Rams lineup? No contract year performance from Bobby Brown III so far. :not:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, that's what's so hard to figure out.

Knee concerns-- if it was so bad, then why is EJ playing like a "beast" as the top-rated Titan defender?

Contract-- A reasonable salary at the end of his rookie deal. And EJ said he was fully prepared to play out his contract and then become a FA next year.

Personal issues-- EJ said he was "shocked" by the trade and there was "no bad blood." And McVay has repeatedly said EJ was a great leader and handled things well and was a "pure professional."

Reeder and Rozeboom passed him on depth chart?-- kinda hard to believe this one, given the mediocre ILB play for the Rams and the glowing reports on EJ from the Titans.

Trade value-- Rams got next to nothing in return... not even a straight-up 5th round pick, just a SWAP of a 6th for a 5th. And the salary cap savings sure doesn't seem to justify the trade either.

So yeah, basically nothing makes sense. McVay says it was "good for the team in both the short-term and long-term."

Looking at the Rams current salary cap situation, I wonder if cap implications didn't also play a role.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Jones is a lot better than what the Rams appear to have at off-ball-LB; and they got nothing for him.

Many of us have speculated (like @CGI_Ram above) that there has to be some back-story / Reason for the Rams to dump him ... and that is what they did. Would really like to know what that reasoning was because a position of average strength has (at the moment) become a weak position; and it happened right before the start of the Season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I wonder if this isn't an ego thing. No idea, but it just seems very odd... And the way McVay handled the question at his presser.... Weird.

dang

Legend
Right or wrong. Like it or not. Via press inquiries, fan comparisons or self evaluation, McVay will have to replay this decision throughout the season.