Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
If you guys and gals don't believe in McSnead by now, it's time to find another team to root for. My goodness, there is a reason and it's not based on what we, as fans, get to see. Get on the bus and give them the trust they deserve or get off. They aren't out to lose games or put this organization in a bad position. They've earned that much.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll keep saying it. Dumbest fucking trade/move we made this off-season. McSnead should slap the shit out of themselves for this one. They are typically good but this is the head scratcher of the year.
It was completely predictable that the Titans would get everything Jones has, and I expected this. It was predictable everyone would shit on the Rams for it too. And hey maybe you'll be right.

But I keep going back to the fact that Jones is a 4.7 ILB. And he don't run anything near a 4.7 now. He's a big boy. He's physical. Man we could have used that in the first two games too. But long term there's a reasonable chance the Rams come out of this looking good, or at least looking like it was a sound business decision.

Clearly they were impressed by Speights in preseason. How could they not be, the kid played his ass off. He's not gonna be Warner or anything crazy either. But if he can give us downhill run fills and good tackling in space he will be an upgrade over Reeder and maybe not too great a dropoff from Jones long term and fits the Rams' model of not paying big money to ILB.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If you guys and gals don't believe in McSnead by now, it's time to find another team to root for. My goodness, there is a reason and it's not based on what we, as fans, get to see. Get on the bus and give them the trust they deserve or get off. They aren't out to lose games or put this organization in a bad position. They've earned that much.
I’m sure about 95% of us are totally fine giving them the benefit of the doubt. But since winning the Super Bowl McVay is 15-21 with one playoff appearance. It’s starting to get into “what have you done for me lately” territory. The NFL is a year to year business. And some of the business decision McSnead have made in the past 36 months have been questionable at best IMO.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m sure about 95% of us are totally fine giving them the benefit of the doubt. But since winning the Super Bowl McVay is 15-21 with one playoff appearance. It’s starting to get into “what have you done for me lately” territory. The NFL is a year to year business. And some of the business decision McSnead have made in the past 36 months have been questionable at best IMO.
This is a McVay & Snead rebuild. Most coach/GM combos that will come with a truckload of losses as they restack the roster. With McVay though it comes with playoffs and actual hope.

I think this fan base is spoiled as fuck. And by the way I have no problem criticizing McVay. I do it too. But while criticizing him one must keep perspective that they're nitpicking a truly great head coach.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It was completely predictable that the Titans would get everything Jones has, and I expected this. It was predictable everyone would shit on the Rams for it too. And hey maybe you'll be right.

But I keep going back to the fact that Jones is a 4.7 ILB. And he don't run anything near a 4.7 now. He's a big boy. He's physical. Man we could have used that in the first two games too. But long term there's a reasonable chance the Rams come out of this looking good, or at least looking like it was a sound business decision.

Clearly they were impressed by Speights in preseason. How could they not be, the kid played his ass off. He's not gonna be Warner or anything crazy either. But if he can give us downhill run fills and good tackling in space he will be an upgrade over Reeder and maybe not too great a dropoff from Jones long term and fits the Rams' model of not paying big money to ILB.
I pray that Speights plays this next game and makes us all forget about Ernest Jones. Unfortunately, I truly doubt that'll happen. That's a lot to put on a rookie that apparently couldn't even get on the field over the current shit show known as Reeder and Rozeboom.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Honestly I would have liked to see Speights alongside EJ. If EJ stays healthy all year McSnead will be kicking themselves in the ass for this trade.
Now that's wtf Im talking about. I wouldn't be surprised that the Rams look dumb all year for doing this trade. What could woulda shoulda been :dizzy:

Psycho_X

Legend
The lack of explanation seems to indicate there was “something”… what was it is the question haunting Rams fans.
Just my opinion but I think his agent had EJ do a business decision and have him milk the knee thing through training camp and practice. Rams said they weren't going to do a new contract so EJ decided to sit out a majority of TC/preseason practices. And I think that irked McVay/management. Based on this knee injury that seems to not be an issue now that he's with Titans and McVay talking about how needing players to practice and be available before and after he was traded. Just reading between the lines here.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to boo-hoo over the trade, it's done, it just doesn't make sense. Even if they are high on Speights and/or Hummel they could've played Ernest in the meantime and traded him mid season. Kenny Young was traded mid season, Van too (in season). Would the defense be good with Jones? No, but certainly better.

I'm not buying Jones's 40 time as a reason. How many times has it been echoed that McVay/Snead value game tape over combine numbers? Jones has never been a plodder and so far hasn't looked that way in Tenn. Reeder despite his combine numbers has always looked stiff. I still think about the Jets game where an 80 year old Frank Gore made Reeder miss.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Small sample size but teams are testing Reeder/Rozeboom more than Jones in the passing game, and winning. Sourced two sites, slightly different numbers but same message.
pfr.PNG

nxt.PNG

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I pray that Speights plays this next game and makes us all forget about Ernest Jones. Unfortunately, I truly doubt that'll happen. That's a lot to put on a rookie that apparently couldn't even get on the field over the current shit show known as Reeder and Rozeboom.
At some point a player is gonna be what he is. In Jones' case this means a solid backer with limited range with a bum knee. Good teams don't pay that dude. So as painful as this is, I support the move and see little reason to cry about it, as paying him would have been worse. He would probably be on IR right now.

We don't need Speights to do any more than what he showed in preseason. If in fact he isn't a green dot option then give it to Curl, who has done it. Or Lake, who the staff is so high on. Let Speights worry about his run gap and sweeping behind that young front. Use those young wheels.

This team isn't built to have a shutdown defense. It is built to even front your ass (Verse, Fiske, Turner, Young) while you play catchup. Problem is the front is young and did not play preseason. And our offense is slowed due to injuries to the line and weapons.

So now they need to run the ball. Which means they need to stop the run. But Brown predictably looking like a slug means our odd fronts on run downs are weak because he cannot anchor for shit on the nose. Which means if Davis can't do that for us (along with the other two playing better) then we are up shit creek.

And lastly we have a major problem with the pass rush. These boys have zero group discipline. You can't have that in today's league.

Ellard80

Legend
Watching the first few games... I'm not seeing LB play as the thing that is killing us.

I'm not saying they are good - but our D-line is getting pushed around on the run game, and has a few too many plays where the QB has all day back there. The secondary has gotten burned over the top a few times.

Those two areas worry me the most so far.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
Perfectly said.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
Watching the first few games... I'm not seeing LB play as the thing that is killing us.

I'm not saying they are good - but our D-line is getting pushed around on the run game, and has a few too many plays where the QB has all day back there. The secondary has gotten burned over the top a few times.

Those two areas worry me the most so far.
Reeder and Rozeboom missed together 6 tackles in the AZ game ALONE .

EJ didn't miss that many in the ENTIRE 2023 season . His first game against the titans he played half the game , now in the second game he played the entire game and was the beast he usually is . Got 7 tackles , 2 TFL and 2 passes deflections.

Anytime a team gashes you on the ground you can be sure your front 4 AND your ILBs are not playing well . We allowed 173 yards to detroit and 231 yard to the cards on the ground. That is worse than bad , that is F****** PATHETIC.

Trading EJ for a bag of chips was a horrible decision . But mcvay said he thought "it was the best decision for this football team " .

I wonder what he thinks about the 6 missed tackles by his current ILBs duo .

Ellard80

Legend
Reeder and Rozeboom missed together 6 tackles in the AZ game ALONE .

EJ didn't miss that many in the ENTIRE 2023 season . His first game against the titans he played half the game , now in the second game he played the entire game and was the beast he usually is . Got 7 tackles , 2 TFL and 2 passes deflections.

Anytime a team gashes you on the ground you can be sure your front 4 AND your ILBs are not playing well . We allowed 173 yards to detroit and 231 yard to the cards on the ground. That is worse than bad , that is F****** PATHETIC.

Trading EJ for a bag of chips was a horrible decision . But mcvay said he thought "it was the best decision for this football team " .

I wonder what he thinks about the 6 missed tackles by his current ILBs duo .
I never said I thought the LB were good - I said I thought other areas looked worse Sunday.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They'll be the first to admit they they make mistakes. Having faith doesnt mean you have to believe every move makes sense.
The E Jones trade was ridiculous and there is just no logical explanation for it.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
At some point a player is gonna be what he is. In Jones' case this means a solid backer with limited range with a bum knee. Good teams don't pay that dude. So as painful as this is, I support the move and see little reason to cry about it, as paying him would have been worse. He would probably be on IR right now.

We don't need Speights to do any more than what he showed in preseason. If in fact he isn't a green dot option then give it to Curl, who has done it. Or Lake, who the staff is so high on. Let Speights worry about his run gap and sweeping behind that young front. Use those young wheels.

This team isn't built to have a shutdown defense. It is built to even front your ass (Verse, Fiske, Turner, Young) while you play catchup. Problem is the front is young and did not play preseason. And our offense is slowed due to injuries to the line and weapons.

So now they need to run the ball. Which means they need to stop the run. But Brown predictably looking like a slug means our odd fronts on run downs are weak because he cannot anchor for shit on the nose. Which means if Davis can't do that for us (along with the other two playing better) then we are up shit creek.

And lastly we have a major problem with the pass rush. These boys have zero group discipline. You can't have that in today's league.
This bum knee reasoning makes zero sense to have traded him when he was willing to play under his contract and when he's not showing signs of a bum knee with the Titans. What I know is that Jones is way better than our sorry ass LB corps right now. We could have simply kept him and let him walk after the season. I'm not worried that they didn't sign him long term but find it utterly stupid to have him under a very affordable cap hit and to trade him when our LB depth behind him is garbage. Assuming he would be on IR is just funny. I get that we are beat up beyond imagination but that unfortunately is unknown. The way this year has gone, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case but once again can't assume. Not going to dispute with you the other parts of the defense definitely need work. All around our defense looks like shit in it's totality. Hopefully the coaching staff can figure out that issue and have the right players on the field to carry out their plan.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
No one is perfect so to treat them like they are when they screw the pooch is beyond crazy to me. It's ok to criticize bad moves when they happen but yet still believe the front office usually gets it more right then wrong more often than not. Get the hell outta here with telling fans how to react. How about let people have their opinion, which is their right, and agree to disagree when you don't see eye to eye. Telling people to choose another team is childish. No duh we don't see what happens behind the close doors, that only leaves us with speculating. At the end of the day, the Rams are going to make the moves they make regardless of what anyone here thinks. No one here is like fuck the Rams after questionable moves. We'd all like it to work out all the time honestly.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This bum knee reasoning makes zero sense to have traded him when he was willing to play under his contract and when he's not showing signs of a bum knee with the Titans.
He had the knee issue in college. He was no ironman with us. And the knee in fact affected his availability in this past camp.

Him "not showing it" in Tennessee could be many things. I suspect it is he wants to be paid. But let's wait and see how things shake out.