Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ok, just ran across this one that you must try. Go to Google and type any three digit number and “new cases”. What you will find is articles for every number. Now, I’m not always a conspiracy nut but what are the odds of that? I think astronomical. So what gives?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Ok, just ran across this one that you must try. Go to Google and type any three digit number and “new cases”. What you will find is articles for every number. Now, I’m not always a conspiracy nut but what are the odds of that? I think astronomical. So what gives?
Dang!

I just put in my secret number sequence and that is scary.

I do not believe in coincidence.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Astronomical?

Cmon now guys. There are 999 3 digit numbers

Covid has been going on for over 120 days in the US and more than that thru Europe and Asia. Every day - our local paper has a story about the number of new cases and I don’t think that is unique to our local paper.

So my local paper has been able to write some 100 articles about the numbers in our county. So has most every paper in the country and in the rest of the world for that matter. That’s a lot of local papers and local websites reporting their local cases - every day.

What’s the suggestion here? That it’s made up? That it’s fake? That we are witnessing a giant worldwide hoax?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Astronomical?

Cmon now guys. There are 999 3 digit numbers

Covid has been going on for over 120 days in the US and more than that thru Europe and Asia. Every day - our local paper has a story about the number of new cases and I don’t think that is unique to our local paper.

So my local paper has been able to write some 100 articles about the numbers in our county. So has most every paper in the country and in the rest of the world for that matter. That’s a lot of local papers and local websites reporting their local cases - every day.

What’s the suggestion here? That it’s made up? That it’s fake? That we are witnessing a giant worldwide hoax?
Actually, there are only 900 three digit numbers but who’s counting? :rolleyes:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll just add my thoughts on the schooling aspect here, nothing to debate, just my POV
Homeschooling- for those who choose that path I think the education that can be provided is excellent. The curriculum is extensive and prepares kids better for standardized testing and for the independent study required in college. "Remote Learning" is NOT homeschooling however. The charade of education performed in the Spring was only acceptable due to the circumstances. The teachers and administration was not prepared for it, no reason to think they should have been. Began as temporary and by the time it became permanent for 2020 spring year, it was a mail in job. That can not be how the "remote" learning is handled this fall.
Well, we just got guidelines for how our school districts are going to approach the fall, and any family relying on dual income is screwed.
And sadly, despite all of our moral soul searching we are doing as it pertains to inequality, the divide between the have's and the have not's will be increased exponentially. Those who have the financial means will make sure their kids get the education they need and more. With no extra-curricular activities in schools, kids wont be able to bolster their college applications and will be judged on standardized test scores. Those who will rely solely on the education provided by the schools will be at a huge disadvantage.
Lastly, if a minimum wage cashier at your local grocery store is considered an "essential worker", why arent teachers?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
hey @SWAdude i was wanting to ask you, I have to be in Santa Barbara on the 25th but am sketchy about flying in an airplane period, but how are things right now with all this stuff going on?
I mean what is the vibe and what are the protocols involved that you see happening?
What is your advice for me if you don’t mind me asking
Thanks in advance brother

bluecoconuts

Legend

Dang!

I just put in my secret number sequence and that is scary.

I do not believe in coincidence.

Mathematical probabilities, it’s actually higher than people would think.

It’s similar to the birthday paradox.

23 random people in a room and you have a 50/50 shot two people have the exact same birthday.

365 potential days, it only takes 23 people.

75 people in a room and those odds are at 99.9%.

Which seems nuts right? Hence the paradox.

Except it’s only a paradox because our stupid human brains have problems with understanding the concept of compounding exponents.

Luckily we can do the math. I’ll go with the birthday paradox because it’s easy and I know that one already.

23 students means we have a potential of 253 pairs.

22x23/2=253

So how does that translate to 50/50 odds?

First, flip it, what are the odds that you’re going to miss?

Well when you compare one to one, they have a potential to “hit” 1, or miss 364 times. You either hit and have the same birthday, but if your birthday is one of the other 364 days you miss.

So it’s easy to see how you have very low odds there.
364/365 = .997, so yeah, very low odds to hit. Literally 99% chance you’re not going to match.

But it’s not one to one. We have 253 potential pairs.

(364/365)^253 = .499.... Or, 50/50 shot you’ll miss.

Higher the number of potential pairs, the lower that number is, meaning the greater the odds.

Translating that to the Covid thing, it’s basically the same type of situation. So many numbers have been reported around the world by so many groups, you’re more likely to find a hit than to not find a hit. Especially if you’re selecting at random.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Again, positives weren't over reported in Florida - percent positives were. There really were 15,000 positives in a day - it was just reported as 15,000 positives out of 15,000 tests when it should have been 15,000 positives out of 150,000 tests. Dumb mistake. But people see news like this and they think its evidence that this is all a conspiracy to stoke fear - that COVID is no big deal - I don't need to wear a mask - lets party - everything is back to normal.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure Texas should be doing any victory laps over any of this ...

View: https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1283510955591311360?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/BeeDotMartin/status/1283779568344748034?s=20

As we have said time and time again - there will be problems with the numbers - there just will. But every discrepancy seems to get jumped on by those who would have us believe that a global conspiracy is afoot. And when people start believing that crap, they stop taking measures to beat this thing. They dont wear masks, they dont social distance, they move to go back to normal at all costs and it makes the problem worse.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

images

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As we have said time and time again - there will be problems with the numbers - there just will. But every discrepancy seems to get jumped on by those who would have us believe that a global conspiracy is afoot. And when people start believing that crap, they stop taking measures to beat this thing. They dont wear masks, they dont social distance, they move to go back to normal at all costs and it makes the problem worse.
Yeah, no. I, personally, do everything that's required of me. I wear that useless mask wherever I'm asked to wear it. I stay away from crowds, and I get all my groceries delivered. I have to work, and I wear it everywhere knowing FULL WELL that it's not protecting me from anything. "Global conspiracy". That's laughable to me. Meanwhile, in the real world, the largest and most powerful entities in determining public response (the Government and the media) are sending mixed messages. In February/March, we were lambasted for buying masks because - and I quote - "They don't stop the spread of Coronavirus". Then a few months later, they lambast us to wear them because - and I quote - "They're the only way to stop the spread of Coronavirus." So what we're left with is people who followed the initial advice, and then became pariahs because they followed the initial advice. Case in point.

The U.S. Surgeon General
1.jpg
2.jpg

So what's the message there if it isn't about the ineffectiveness of masks? That ordinary people should stop wearing masks, and just go ahead and get sick, so that medical professionals can have enough masks to treat you when you DO get sick? Without posting a shit ton of photo examples (and I have over 50), the following News Outlets are guilty of the same thing. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, CNBC, WAPO, MSNBC, NYT, The Hill, Washington Examiner, and so on and so on. This is on top of Government officials (house, senate members) who parroted these things. The lot of them lauded "the science" when condemning people who were "overreacting" and buying masks, and then they lauded "the science" when they shamed people for NOT wearing them. And let's talk about "the science". Allegedly the "only guy" we should listen to about this - Fauci - is 100% guilty of doing the same exact thing (do I need to post the video evidence of him ridiculing the mask wearers, really?).

Here's some more mixed messages. The Governor of Georgia is suing the Mayor of Atlanta over mask mandates. How about, protests are okay, but stay the fuck off of beaches. Is there any wonder why people are questioning the motives and legitimacy of a "dEaDlY pAnDeMic" when they're being told that social distancing doesn't matter as long as you're holding a sign or vandalizing a department store? Even some scientists are on record as saying "systemic racism" is more deadly than Covid. Scuze me, WTF? Even the God Damn Governor of the State I live in has actually instituted a mandate recently that bars close by 11:00 pm, because .... wait for it ... Covid. So now Covid is dormant until 10:59 PM? How about New York's Governor saying that Singles tennis is okay, but Doubles Tennis isn't? Face coverings will be mandatory for anyone on the sand, but not for people in the water. That's California. And the masks? Every single box of surgical masks has a warning on them that says they don't stop coronavirus. Add to that the new *fashion* masks, and cloth masks, and home-made masks.

Normal people's response to this idiocy?

Screenshot_23.jpg

Then there are the doctors. There are so many videos of actual medical doctors lashing out on the guidelines and questioning the protocol they were to follow when reporting numbers. Basically, just go ahead and list the cause of death as Covid, even if it's not. Why? Why would that be the order? Comorbidity isn't a thing now? This is why I said earlier in this thread that I'm VERY interested to see how many people DIDN'T die of things like heart disease, diabetes, respiratory illnesses, etc., in 2020. Are doctors in on the gLoBaL cOnSpiRaCY too? Or are they legitimately confused by what they're being told to do?

Take all of that, and you'll understand why some people are just a wee bit skeptical of the aforementioned idiots telling them what's best for them and their lives. Yes, people are dying. Do you really know how many of them are dying of COVID and how many have died from, say, the seasonal flu? The flu knocks out upwards of 80,000 people in a season in this Country. What if there's a bad one? Like in 1967 when about 100,000 Americans died. Or in 1957 when 116,000 died? We're at about 130K dead in this Country right now from COVID, right? I've been showing you examples of how reporting isn't accurate. More, less, whatever. They're not being reported accurately, and doctors are on record as saying that they were being told to report COVID deaths even if that's not the cause. I showed you that video in Illinois of how they explicitly said they're coding people with COVID even if they only died *with* it. That's not isolated.

I'm gonna wrap it up now. I do social distance. I do sanitize. I do avoid crowds. I do wear a mask. None of the masks I, or anyone else wears, is effective at stopping Covid. All it does is keep my sneeze or cough in the mask. I still touch surfaces, I still touch my mask, I still handle the same doorknobs and handles everyone else does. We're all gonna get it. But the death rate (and this is a fact) of Covid, for people under 60 years old, is less than that of the seasonal flu. I'm not afraid of it. And I won't be told to be.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In February/March, we were lambasted for buying masks because - and I quote - "They don't stop the spread of Coronavirus". Then a few months later, they lambast us to wear them because - and I quote - "They're the only way to stop the spread of Coronavirus." So what we're left with is people who followed the initial advice, and then became pariahs because they followed the initial advice. Case in point.

Back in February/March they thought that the virus was spreading via airborne particles, which a mask wouldn't really do all that much to stop. Understanding the public, while the mask would have still helped, the worry was that people would panic buy and take all the supply, leaving the medical field without the PPE they need.

We have since both built up our supply of PPE, and gained a better understanding of how the virus transmits. They now know that the virus doesn't transmit via airborne particles, but via spit droplets when people talk. You know the saying, say it don't spray it? That's basically what the issue is. A mask happens to do a great job with stopping spit.

In other words, if you put on a mask, and light a scented candle, you can still smell the candle. The mask doesn't stop those particles from going through, so if the virus traveled that way, you can see how it wouldn't do anything for you. With the mask on try to blow that candle out, and you can't do it unless you get much closer than you'd normally have to get. That's why the promotion of masks and social distancing, both of them individually are great at making the virus much harder to spread, and together they make it almost impossible.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Back in February/March they thought that the virus was spreading via airborne particles, which a mask wouldn't really do all that much to stop. Understanding the public, while the mask would have still helped, the worry was that people would panic buy and take all the supply, leaving the medical field without the PPE they need.

We have since both built up our supply of PPE, and gained a better understanding of how the virus transmits. They now know that the virus doesn't transmit via airborne particles, but via spit droplets when people talk. You know the saying, say it don't spray it? That's basically what the issue is. A mask happens to do a great job with stopping spit.

In other words, if you put on a mask, and light a scented candle, you can still smell the candle. The mask doesn't stop those particles from going through, so if the virus traveled that way, you can see how it wouldn't do anything for you. With the mask on try to blow that candle out, and you can't do it unless you get much closer than you'd normally have to get. That's why the promotion of masks and social distancing, both of them individually are great at making the virus much harder to spread, and together they make it almost impossible.
Well, yes and no. Studies here and here seem to cast some doubt on that. But I know the messaging changed after more information came in. I'm talking about the manner in which people were talking (yelling) at us to conform, and then yelling at us to conform again when they fucked it up in the first place. We're idiots, essentially, for following their information. That aside, Fauci is supposed to be the leading authority on transmission of ALL diseases, Yeah? In his previous roles, he's been more than upfront about...

Never mind. That's not going to help.

Let me just sidestep that and ask you this. What's keeping your eyes safe? What's keeping your hands safe when mask wearers are touching their masks, and then touching everything else? Why can't I just cover my sneeze and cough with my elbow like I used to? What happened to the curve we achieved before the protests? Who's culpable for that? I get that there's a disease out there, and I get that there are steps to help mitigate the spread. I'm doing that. But I'm more than a little pissed off that the messaging continues to be fucking stupid, and I'm pissed off that - as a result of stupid messaging - I'm relegated to a conspiracy theorist and outcast because I don't follow the reasoning that got us here in the first place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
KN95 masks are still available.
It is 100% impossible for me to do my job while wearing those.
We tried. Can't be done. But, we're essential, so we're told to wear surgical masks.
Hospitals pass them out as their mitigating method upon entry. They don't pass out KN95's.

Status
Not open for further replies.