Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't have kids, and I wasn't home schooled, but they should be fine getting home schooled for a year if you're worried. I'd take what I say with a grain of salt as again, I don't come from any position of experience for either case, but to me home school is largely what a parent makes it.

If a parent wants to just indoctrinate their child with whatever belief they want, well then they'll do it. but a parent can also really get the most out of their child by thinking out of the box when it comes to education.

Science experiments are a fun way of educating for example, and you can probably look up some really cool demonstrations and thing you can do around the house on YouTube. Speaking of YouTube there are tons of lectures by professors and experts on topics, there are things like Khan Academy, and tons of other resources available to assist with advanced subjects.

Have it structured like school, history is this hour, math this hour, lunch this hour, include things like physical education, have fun with it.

"Hey kids, we're going on a hike, because it's going to count as school work for you, not because I want to spend this beautiful day with my family"

I see a lot of potential positives. That's if it's feasible for your family of course, everyone has to look at their schedule and determine how much they can invest in their kids education, but if you can do it you can really do it well, and it can be fun for everyone. Depending on how your kids take it of course.

That’s the other choice. Our school system is offering learn from home on their curriculum - same material the kids going to class would get. We don’t have to do the teaching. But maybe we should? There are several online platforms - we have used khan academy quite a bit ad a supplement already.

I suppose that depends on how well the local system does of having their courses ready to go.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
what if we wake them up, they get out of bed, get ready and then don’t leave the house? That much different?
Its a great idea if that's your decision. My statement was in the context of life without Covid and this idea that homeschooling is a better way to go. I believe that's nonsense once you examine it beyond a purely academic standpoint.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You know the Walmart story. Go into a small town with lowered prices, killing off competition. They killed 3 different super markets with this strategy in the town in which I shop. The stores that died, used to bag your groceries for you, and Walmart did too...for a while. The stores were gone and after a while, those damn plastic bag carousels replaced baggers and you are bagging groceries yourself that are all of a sudden more expensive. They are a shopping Hegemon in my state, with my only other choices being the few remaining stores that are little better than large convenience stores. (High prices and less selection). I hate them for the power they have over common people, so yes, I hope they fucking die. The virus is not serious where I live. It's all bullshyte.

I am pissed because I hate being told what to do when there is no real danger. It's CYA for them. They could give a shyte about their customers, because there's always another one coming through the door. Put your masks on, slaves! I guess it Amazon and the other stores from now on....

You’re the slave it sounds like to me

I mean you’re the one all affected by a Wal Mart, so much so you wish them death...

It’s classic how you mention how Wal Mart put two “Super Markets” out of business, but let me ask you, who did the two “Super Markets” put out of business with their “super-ness?” Maybe six to seven mom and pop stores.

Nobody is telling you what to do, anymore so than a stop light is telling you when to go, stop, or proceed with caution.

Nobody is forcing you to shop at Wal Mart or Amazon. And although your empathy toward Supermarkets is commendable, you don’t seem to be embracing the very nature of our Capitalist society as you might think you are.

you can still be an individual and understand how America works. Wal Mart started from nothing and beat them all out.

If you are mad at Wal Mart you have to be mad about everything in America. And wishing people died just cause they built a better mouse trap is not only callous but Un-American.

Why don’t you open a grocery store. Or go to a local butcher or a farmers market instead of ruining this otherwise relatively civil thread? I mean anything is better than raging against the company that pays the LA Rams bills.....

Come on Brother.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its a great idea if that's your decision. My statement was in the context of life without Covid and this idea that homeschooling is a better way to go. I believe that's nonsense once you examine it beyond a purely academic standpoint.

I think it really does depend on the parents and on the kids. I wouldn’t be giving it much consideration absent Covid, but I’m trying to find the silver linings. Like most things, we will probably get out of it what we put in.

I will say this. I have coached several mock trial teams over the years. For two years I coached the homeschool kids outside of Raleigh. They were head and shoulders better than any of the public or private school teams I have helped. Took 2nd in nationals, in fact. I think that was more a factor of those particular kids than their being homeschooled - but these kids were something else.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I have zero issues sending my soon to be 15 year old son back to Edison High School

Zero

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Homeschooling isn’t for everyone.
For my kids it was fantastic and they excelled, have futures, and have good friends.

But before there was public schooling there was homeschooling. And there are many advantages for kids and adults - i’ve listed many. And why not take advantage of those positives during these most extraordinary times when the emphasis for yours and everyones safety is to stay home?

I am pro-public school - but this isn’t gonna be a good year for them. If yo can homeschool and give it a shot - all i’m saying is now is the time

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You’re the slave it sounds like to me

I mean you’re the one all affected by a Wal Mart, so much so you wish them death...

It’s classic how you mention how Wal Mart put two “Super Markets” out of business, but let me ask you, who did the two “Super Markets” put out of business with their “super-ness?” Maybe six to seven mom and pop stores.

Nobody is telling you what to do, anymore so than a stop light is telling you when to go, stop, or proceed with caution.

Nobody is forcing you to shop at Wal Mart or Amazon. And although your empathy toward Supermarkets is commendable, you don’t seem to be embracing the very nature of our Capitalist society as you might think you are.

you can still be an individual and understand how America works. Wal Mart started from nothing and beat them all out.

If you are mad at Wal Mart you have to be mad about everything in America. And wishing people died just cause they built a better mouse trap is not only callous but Un-American.

Why don’t you open a grocery store. Or go to a local butcher or a farmers market instead of ruining this otherwise relatively civil thread? I mean anything is better than raging against the company that pays the LA Rams bills.....

Come on Brother.
Well, I never wished people dead. I care as much about Wal Mart, as it cares about me. It was three supermarkets, not two. I am not a laissez-faire capitalist, my friend. As far as I know, there were no super markets that went out of business because of them (the three that Walmart killed). If you are talking about downtown shopping, one of the three that died was downtown. There is another one on the north side, to which I sometimes go.

Walmart started with an idea of selling products made and sold in America. They beat others out because Sam Walton believed in treating his customers, rich or poor, just the same. He would show up in dirty overalls to see how he was treated, and woe unto those who treated him as less than. Then Sam died and the Chinese products poured in. Walmart wasn't the only store that did this, so it is what it is. What you are hearing me rage about, is the power they have in a small town. The closest options that I have around 60 miles on a turnpike. And now I have the choice to violate my conscience to buy reasonably priced products (forced to wear a mask), or to spend a lot more and get less. I guess that's the option I have to take, and I'm pissed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to john Hopkins, your county *Lyon” has 532 confirmed cases and 7 deaths. Wear a mask, hombre.
I do wear a mask at work. Those confirmed cases are history or at present? How many have died in your county?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well, I never wished people dead.

the word never gets thrown around a lot...

Screw them to death, and have a nice day.

Hopefully they die the death, but enjoy them yourself.

I hate them for the power they have over common people, so yes, I hope they fucking die.

I do wear a mask at work. Those confirmed cases are history or at present? How many have died in your county?

40. 928 confirmed cases.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
No

Homeschool a sophomore? You’re obviously one HELL of a lot smarter than me:giggle:

I’d prefer he could have followed the Catholic School curriculum as he did through 8th grade, unfortunately Mater Dei was too damn expensive, so it is what it is.

Not a fan of public schools (at least not in The People’s Republic of California) nope not me.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the word never gets thrown around a lot...

40. 928 confirmed cases.
I hate the corporation, which I hoped it died the death. I never meant the people, so sorry you took it that way.

I believe that the deaths recorded in my county are not that recent. I know that one of the seven died at the meat packing plant where I worked, and he had other issues besides Covid.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I hate the corporation, which I hoped it died the death. I never meant the people, so sorry you took it that way.

I believe that the deaths recorded in my county are not that recent. I know that one of the seven died at the meat packing plant where I worked, and he had other issues besides Covid.

fair enough. We haven’t shopped there in over a year ourselves - I’m also not a fan.

meat packing plants have been hit hard in NC. Real hard.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No

Homeschool a sophomore? You’re obviously one HELL of a lot smarter than me:giggle:

I’d prefer he could have followed the Catholic School curriculum as he did through 8th grade, unfortunately Mater Dei was too damn expensive, so it is what it is.

Not a fan of public schools (at least not in The People’s Republic of California) nope not me.

has your school district realeased a plan for how to make school work? are there choices parents need to make?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
has your school district realeased a plan for how to make school work? are there choices parents need to make?

Not yet other than they’re targeting reopening 9/9 but you better believe they’re working on it o_O

At some point calmer heads will prevail, test numbers going up, mortality rate tanking

This is good

Cheers!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No

I had friends that went to Servite so they programmed me to dislike Mater Dei.
But all the chicks they rolled around with from Rosary were a bunch of dogs.

Sunny Hills was a fucking nightmare. We had a few high profile murders come from that school - my buddy killed his family with a hammer and burned them alive at Regional Park in Fullerton. Then we had the Tay murders and i had classes with him, they buried the guy behind the taco bell - the movie Better Luck Tomorrow was based on that murder - the director was a colleague of mine who now does Fast and Furious movies
Anyway — The chicks were insane at Sunny Hills. I bet the chicks at Edison are top notch. I’m assuming of course your sophomore is a dude.....

As a Catholic I was glad not to have to go to an all boys school. All dudes - no way. I say it’s best to keep him (or her?) at Edison haha

bluecoconuts

Legend
That’s the other choice. Our school system is offering learn from home on their curriculum - same material the kids going to class would get. We don’t have to do the teaching. But maybe we should? There are several online platforms - we have used khan academy quite a bit ad a supplement already.

I suppose that depends on how well the local system does of having their courses ready to go.

The school will likely give you a pretty easy list to understand, but I wonder if they'll do something like have the teachers provide a lesson plan to the parents or something, which wouldn't be bad, although I can only imagine the nightmare it would be dealing with parents. They would probably welcome parents who are able to take a more hands on approach.

I'm someone who loves teaching though, so I am biased.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It’s my only child, a son, and he came along when I was 48, but it’s on him to carry the family tree, my 82 year old dad was so proud to hold him

Servite? wasn’t that Steve Beuerlein’s school?

I was districted for Sunny Hills, my beloved 70 Pontiac 400 Firebird met it’s demise in 1978 near the RR tracks at the bottom of the main entrance to SHHS, kids used to pour motor oil just to burn rubber, my dipstick wife at the time managed to lose control into that huge telephone pole, that car didn’t need motor oil to burn rubber, good thing for her I was half way around the world at the time.

we definitely chewed some of the same turf it would appear :ROFLMAO:

He actually likes Edison, but do they have to be named Edison Chargers? Makes sense I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.