Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Mariposa county tested the waste water there and found covid in it. For those who don't know where it is, its where Yosemite Park is. So visitors are going to Yosemite with covid? Dang, if it ever finds a way to get in our tap water we're screwed. There would be no point to any of these measures trying to prevent the spread.

DD1E9750-BD56-4FD9-B886-3313DC804281.gif

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Mariposa county tested the waste water there and found covid in it. For those who don't know where it is, its where Yosemite Park is. So visitors are going to Yosemite with covid? Dang, if it ever finds a way to get in our tap water we're screwed. There would be no point to any of these measures trying to prevent the spread.
Link

No telling how far this has already gone....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So, its in waste water? I haven't heard of the potential for getting Covid from drinking water - yet.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
They’ve found it in several places in waste water.

Scientists were looking into that a while back to try and predict hot spots. Kinda like they do with opioids.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Any parents out there making school decisions?

We are getting an option for 100% at home or 100% in person with a bunch of safety measures.

I’m going to wait until the last minute but am leaning towards at home as my kids are old enough to manage it reasonably well.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Any parents out there making school decisions?

We are getting an option for 100% at home or 100% in person with a bunch of safety measures.

I’m going to wait until the last minute but am leaning towards at home as my kids are old enough to manage it reasonably well.

I have tried answering this question - if you’re waiting to the minute how are any of our answers gonna help until then? :unsure:

bluecoconuts

Legend
They’ve found it in several places in waste water.

Scientists were looking into that a while back to try and predict hot spots. Kinda like they do with opioids.

They did that to determine that Seattle has the most stoners in the city, which goes to show that there's nothing too seemingly insignificant for a scientist to want to study it. :ROFLMAO:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have tried answering this question - if you’re waiting to the minute how are any of our answers gonna help until then? :unsure:

I heard and appreciate your answer. I am just trying to read the room.

It’s not an easy call for us. We are big believers in public schools - we work hard to support them and the teachers. I believe very strongly in education - not just for the education but for the social aspects of school.

I find myself wanting to keep them at home because we can. By keeping my 3 at home, it makes it slightly more possible for the school to be safer for the kids who do need to attend in person.

On the other hand, I want what is best for them - and that’s where I struggle. If I’m worrying needlessly, as some people suggest, I don’t want that to negatively impact my kids.

I am hoping my brothers and sisters on this forum can provide me with some guidance - and as I said, I appreciate yours.

oldnotdead

Legend
Let me provide some first-hand perspective. My stepson came to me when he was 10. He had been diagnosed as ADD. After a few weeks, it was apparent to me that it wasn't ADD but simply poor teaching. After talking to his school counselor I pulled him out of public school and enrolled him in an online school. I monitored his education from that point on. I re-enrolled him into public schools at the 10th-grade level. I wanted him to have a high school socialization experience. His counselors after a few weeks said he was clearly ahead of his peers in terms of his academics. He finished high school with a 3.5 GPA.

Not all online schools are the same. Do the research and perhaps the courses offered by the public system is good. What I'm saying is that if implemented properly, the quality of the education the students receive could be as good or better online than in a classroom with its normal distractions. I would not risk my child in a classroom.

For politicians to compare shopping in Home Depot to going to school shows they know nothing. A child is in a confined classroom for hours not minutes moving around. My child is not a political pawn to be used for some political agenda.

My niece has had her kids enrolled in an online program for months and she's thinking she might keep them in that program even after the pandemic. She said they seem to be doing better. One of my Mexican-American friends living in TJ has had her kids enrolled in an online program for years. They are being taught in a bilingual environment as they have dual citizenship. She is now with her kids with her father in Downey. She said it's clear her children are academically ahead of their cousins who attend public schools in Downey particularly in the areas of math and sciences.

This is exactly what I found out with my step-son. When he returned to public high school he said it was ridiculously easy. So much so he never had homework because he was already ahead of his classmates. Primarily because he had better study habits. Too many schools are simply daycare. I had several high school students working part-time for me when I had my business and was shocked at how poorly educated they were.

IMO online education is the future. I did a year of an online college-level courses to fill in a lot of my business management holes and I found it was better than my collegiate lecture hall by a TA experience. Classroom education should be phased out. Oline is better overall and a hell of a lot cheaper as a public education option.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

It’s not an easy call for us. We are big believers in public schools - we work hard to support them and the teachers. I believe very strongly in education - not just for the education but for the social aspects of school.

I find myself wanting to keep them at home because we can. By keeping my 3 at home, it makes it slightly more possible for the school to be safer for the kids who do need to attend in person.

On the other hand, I want what is best for them - and that’s where I struggle. If I’m worrying needlessly, as some people suggest, I don’t want that to negatively impact my kids.

I am hoping my brothers and sisters on this forum can provide me with some guidance - and as I said, I appreciate yours.

Right on,
But again....
I grew up with two teachers in Public Schools
Went to Public School my whole life - until college
I am a strong supporter of Public School system - but what's happening right now is a disaster.
And if you can home school your kids - do it. If not just to pull them out for the year until things settle down.
They'll get a lot done, and get to spend more time together which is equally valuable - one way or another staying at home for 2020-2021 will most definitely be best for them - if they are old enough as you said.

Here is something you may not have considered, and I haven't mentioned:

* One thing Homeschooling does is prep them for University where you are more in control of your life.
In University it's all about being responsible for your own schedule and how you study, which is barely taught in public schools.
It also gives them the freedom to set their schedule and learn how to time manage - which is critical in college.
I don't know how your kids are but most of the kids I know are dying to get out of high school.
And by allowing them the freedom to learn on their own schedule, you sorta take that desire away to be on their own and present that desire for freedom and independence as training for higher education at the University level. And it helps them get a taste of what real life is when you are responsible for your own time - as they will most certainly have to be in college and beyond.
By giving them the freedom and responsibility to make the best use of their times - i.e. to select their accredited curriculums, call their own shots as far as scheduling goes, pacing, breaks, lunches, etc... -- you help train them for what it is truly like to manage oneself as an adult.

What we have found with our kids is that they make mistakes, they think they can coast on a few things and then discover they can't It helps with deadlines and time management - and they eventually make the adjustments, or you have to jump in to help guide them to better plan their time.

It also helps you to allow them to frame up their own career goals but freeing up time for them to pursue things they really want to do without so many external demands from peers. They will still have their friends and just cause they are at home learning doesn't mean that they are cut off from the world. But you will find them focusing on what they love, and that is what you will notice as a parent and what you can encourage them to pursue.

Our daughter is 21 and is taking over for my wife and her company. She is a 21-year-old girl in every sense of the word, but she has such a huge advantage when it comes to what it takes to take over the family business. She is also really well adjusted and a lovely human. Our son opted to take his GED at 15 and opened his own company. It's pretty insane what you will discover. Whereas I am a professional and am all about college and higher education, both of them decided to either be a part of the family business or to create their own business. Both are making money and sustaining their own lifestyles. They don't have to wait 4 plus years in college to start providing for themselves, they realized that, and they took those roads -- and they are 100% happy and well-adjusted humans.

So it might be a nice experiment for you and most of all for them. There are too many pluses in this scenario to ignore.
Make it a 1-year thing and blame the extenuating circumstances of C19.

Now that is my two cents added to the two cents so that is a total of 4 cents!!!!

Anyone....anyone....?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, good news for the pro-mask(ers). Walmart/Sams Club is now forcing the wearing of masks, even if it's legal to not do so. Private business, so it's up them I guess.

Screw them to death, and have a nice day.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well, good news for the pro-mask(ers). Walmart/Sams Club is now forcing the wearing of masks, even if it's legal to not do so. Private business, so it's up them I guess.

Screw them to death, and have a nice day.

It is good news. Hopefully more companies follow their lead.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hopefully they die the death, but enjoy them yourself.

You want them to die for protecting their employees and customers? Seems harsh and excessive.

Maybe you should just boycott. I’m sure there are stores that cater to you.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You want them to die for protecting their employees and customers? Seems harsh and excessive.

Maybe you should just boycott. I’m sure there are stores that cater to you.
You know the Walmart story. Go into a small town with lowered prices, killing off competition. They killed 3 different super markets with this strategy in the town in which I shop. The stores that died, used to bag your groceries for you, and Walmart did too...for a while. The stores were gone and after a while, those damn plastic bag carousels replaced baggers and you are bagging groceries yourself that are all of a sudden more expensive. They are a shopping Hegemon in my state, with my only other choices being the few remaining stores that are little better than large convenience stores. (High prices and less selection). I hate them for the power they have over common people, so yes, I hope they fucking die. The virus is not serious where I live. It's all bullshyte.

I am pissed because I hate being told what to do when there is no real danger. It's CYA for them. They could give a shyte about their customers, because there's always another one coming through the door. Put your masks on, slaves! I guess it Amazon and the other stores from now on....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You know the Walmart story. Go into a small town with lowered prices, killing off competition. They killed 3 different super markets with this strategy in the town in which I shop. The stores that died, used to bag your groceries for you, and Walmart did too...for a while. The stores were gone and after a while, those damn plastic bag carousels replaced baggers and you are bagging groceries yourself that are all of a sudden more expensive. They are a shopping Hegemon in my state, with my only other choices being the few remaining stores that are little better than large convenience stores. (High prices and less selection). I hate them for the power they have over common people, so yes, I hope they fucking die. The virus is not serious where I live. It's all bullshyte.

I am pissed because I hate being told what to do when there is no real danger. It's CYA for them. They could give a shyte about their customers, because there's always another one coming through the door. Put your masks on, slaves! I guess it Amazon and the other stores from now on....

where - if you are willing to share - do you live?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Nevermind the autonomy stuff for a minute, which is vital in and of itself.
Kids need to get up everyday, get out of bed, get ready and leave the house and go to school. You know, same as adults when they're done with school and get a job. Homeschooling is fine as an alternative in specific situations or for special needs kids but we don't want to raise children this way fundamentally.

This coming from someone hated school and who considers himself somewhat on the progressive side of the table on many things.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I don't have kids, and I wasn't home schooled, but they should be fine getting home schooled for a year if you're worried. I'd take what I say with a grain of salt as again, I don't come from any position of experience for either case, but to me home school is largely what a parent makes it.

If a parent wants to just indoctrinate their child with whatever belief they want, well then they'll do it. but a parent can also really get the most out of their child by thinking out of the box when it comes to education.

Science experiments are a fun way of educating for example, and you can probably look up some really cool demonstrations and thing you can do around the house on YouTube. Speaking of YouTube there are tons of lectures by professors and experts on topics, there are things like Khan Academy, and tons of other resources available to assist with advanced subjects.

Have it structured like school, history is this hour, math this hour, lunch this hour, if they respond well to that kind of structure, include things like physical education, have fun with it, adapt to what works best.

"Hey kids, we're going on a hike, because it's going to count as school work for you, not because I want to spend this beautiful day with my family"

I see a lot of potential positives. That's if it's feasible for your family of course, everyone has to look at their schedule and determine how much they can invest in their kids education, but if you can do it you can really do it well, and it can be fun for everyone. Depending on how your kids take it of course.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Nevermind the autonomy stuff for a minute, which is vital in and of itself.
Kids need to get up everyday, get out of bed, get ready and leave the house and go to school. You know, same as adults when they're done with school and get a job. Homeschooling is fine as an alternative in specific situations or for special needs kids but we don't want to raise children this way fundamentally.

This coming from someone who considers himself somewhat on the progressive side of the table on many things.

what if we wake them up, they get out of bed, get ready and then don’t leave the house? That much different?

Status
Not open for further replies.