Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not sure I understand the point of having “monetary kickbacks” in the first place in the CARES act. I’m all for the fed govt kicking in cash to help the states get the medical supplies they need, but they shouldn’t need to tie that to death or case statistics - they could just use population. Give the states incentives to keep their numbers low, if anything.

But yes - rather than having 50 differing responses - we have needed one all along. One way of counting cases, one way of counting deaths, one set of measurements for when and how it is safe to reopen - and that part could be regional so that places doing well don’t need to lock it down like places that are on fire do - but one set of criteria for that.
This is a problem with me too. Keep in mind I’m not in the medical field but I sell to them and my lady is an RN. But let’s take a random hospital they spend day a million dollars to convert a random facility to an emergency overflow facility. Then the government offers extra money for treating the infected. Even a non profit is going to want to do what they can to help balance the ledger. I’ve insinuated this earlier in the thread but never went in depth about it. Whether we want to admit it or not you know there are administrators doing this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just curious but has the union come out with any suggestions? I mean in the end the ultimate responsibility of the union is the welfare of it's members. Yet I've heard nothing from them and they're just as able to come up with suggestions for the league to adopt. I get everybody wants to hate the evil rich owners and leagues but it's a partnership. All I seem to see is shitting on the league/owners recently.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Just curious but has the union come out with any suggestions? I mean in the end the ultimate responsibility of the union is the welfare of it's members. Yet I've heard nothing from them and they're just as able to come up with suggestions for the league to adopt. I get everybody wants to hate the evil rich owners and leagues but it's a partnership. All I seem to see is shitting on the league/owners recently.

No - I doubt they have the answer either. Like with schools, it’s a problem without very good solutions.

Think about what happens in a season if a team gets a cluster of cases. Do they forfeit the next game? two games? Postpone? Do they play with the players who are available? Can asymptomatic players who are positive play?

I imagine they will ultimately need to protect players with outlandish testing. Testing every player nearly every day - all staff nearly every day. They may also need to completely isolate the teams for the season. Is that realistic?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No - I doubt they have the answer either. Like with schools, it’s a problem without very good solutions.

Think about what happens in a season if a team gets a cluster of cases. Do they forfeit the next game? two games? Postpone? Do they play with the players who are available? Can asymptomatic players who are positive play?

I imagine they will ultimately need to protect players with outlandish testing. Testing every player nearly every day - all staff nearly every day. They may also need to completely isolate the teams for the season. Is that realistic?
Actually it seems like the teams are working things out with the league and the leagues medical people, more than we've heard from the union.

View: https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1284901149951262720?s=21

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
i just dozed off for a sec. had a nightmare that there was no season, then next years draft went to a straight lotto system - and the Rams got (but didn’t get) the number 1 pick.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
93101F1B-372A-4753-AADD-B67622EB2732.jpeg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

As of this minute, I don't think there is an answer that allows them to safely play.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As of this minute, I don't think there is an answer that allows them to safely play.
We shall see, it's all as they say in the eye of the beholder. Football being such a contact sport I think it'll come down to what the players are willing to do.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We shall see, it's all as they say in the eye of the beholder. Football being such a contact sport I think it'll come down to what the players are willing to do.
What I cant understand is how these players cant be kept in a state of quarantine. Its like, they cant have it both ways. They want to get paid, which requires playing, and they also want to remain safe. So do both. Heck "back in the day" training camp was exactly that. Like a boxer training for a big fight, they would head out to a remote camp and bust their asses for several weeks, away from the distraction of home. But now, anything less than a Four Seasons is somehow deemed inhumane

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What I cant understand is how these players cant be kept in a state of quarantine. Its like, they cant have it both ways. They want to get paid, which requires playing, and they also want to remain safe. So do both. Heck "back in the day" training camp was exactly that. Like a boxer training for a big fight, they would head out to a remote camp and bust their asses for several weeks, away from the distraction of home. But now, anything less than a Four Seasons is somehow deemed inhumane

I was wondering about that. We are talking about some 3,000 plus people - probably more than that. If the entire season were held on one campus - and the players were willing to be without their families for 5-6 months - would it work? It’s a pretty big ask - but maybe possible?

The schedule would be rough and I don’t know where this could all happen - where there are enough fields for all the practice facilities and games rolling all week but we could have a game every night of the week on tv!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was wondering about that. We are talking about some 3,000 plus people - probably more than that. If the entire season were held on one campus - and the players were willing to be without their families for 5-6 months - would it work? It’s a pretty big ask - but maybe possible?

The schedule would be rough and I don’t know where this could all happen - where there are enough fields for all the practice facilities and games rolling all week but we could have a game every night of the week on tv!
I wasnt being that extreme, but the fact is that there are many hotels/conference centers/high schools/colleges/malls which are currently vacant, there is available space. What is required and needs 100% is the players buy in for a total lock down/quarantine. And that would include an initial separation from family.
First steps first, if they cant get these guys in to camp with a clean bill of health, thats on the players and owners inability to execute a plan. I dont know a single person who's professional life hasnt been turned completely upside down during covid. Dont know why the "athletes" should be any different

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the nrl has been back for two months. hasn't been a setback yet. when the virus started in victoria again the melbourne team left as fast as it could and hasn't been back.

if the players want to play they're gonna have to make some sacrifices, like staying out of public for the length of the season. i know americans are big on their liberties but the players and team staff are gonna have to do it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed. Further, if the players were truly bubbled the only real threat from Covid would be to the older coaches, staff etc. All of this talk about safety really needs to focus on anyone these players would come into contact with that fits into the high risk model, family and friends included.

This idea of player safety is overblown. The odds of any of these athletes(NFL, NBA, MLB) winding up in an ICU bed or dying from Covid is infinitesimal. Covid WILL spread among these athletes. It's a matter of containing it within their individual life circles to protect those who aren't young & healthy.

It sounds to me like the pro sports protocols in terms of protecting those high risk individuals are going to fail, which is no surprise because that's how this has been handled everywhere from the beginning.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah the players union is getting under my fucking skin. If I were an owner I do think I'd be voting to scrap the season for that reason. You win players' union, now let's see how happy half the league's players are to not have those paychecks week to week. The players are never going to be able to endure a shutdown like the owners so IMO they're playing a dangerous game.

if the players want to play they're gonna have to make some sacrifices, like staying out of public for the length of the season. i know americans are big on their liberties but the players and team staff are gonna have to do it.
Absolutely. However nobody in this current era is willing to make sacrifices when they can jump on social media and stir shit up until nobody remembers wtf they were even arguing about. Demonize the owners, put up some more photos of them superimposed as slave owners or similar, cry about how Kaep doesn't have a job even though most of these clowns don't give a flying fuck about the guy, whine about how they should have more of the cap room, complain about how the NFL hasn't introduced new body suits with unprecedented technology to keep them safe, etc, etc.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the players union is getting under my fucking skin. If I were an owner I do think I'd be voting to scrap the season for that reason. You win players' union, now let's see how happy half the league's players are to not have those paychecks week to week. The players are never going to be able to endure a shutdown like the owners so IMO they're playing a dangerous game.

Absolutely. However nobody in this current era is willing to make sacrifices when they can jump on social media and stir shit up until nobody remembers wtf they were even arguing about. Demonize the owners, put up some more photos of them superimposed as slave owners or similar, cry about how Kaep doesn't have a job even though most of these clowns don't give a flying fuck about the guy, whine about how they should have more of the cap room, complain about how the NFL hasn't introduced new body suits with unprecedented technology to keep them safe, etc, etc.
It was comical the copy paste tweets from all the stars the past few days. It was like watching the news and flipping channels, they use the same exact phrase for a story no matter the network just like they’re reading from a script.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Agreed. Further, if the players were truly bubbled the only real threat from Covid would be to the older coaches, staff etc. All of this talk about safety really needs to focus on anyone these players would come into contact with that fits into the high risk model, family and friends included.

This idea of player safety is overblown. The odds of any of these athletes(NFL, NBA, MLB) winding up in an ICU bed or dying from Covid is infinitesimal. Covid WILL spread among these athletes. It's a matter of containing it within their individual life circles to protect those who aren't young & healthy.

It sounds to me like the pro sports protocols in terms of protecting those high risk individuals are going to fail, which is no surprise because that's how this has been handled everywhere from the beginning.

Is that the case? I mean, even if COVID doesn't kill you - is there no in between? I don't think its a binary case of (1) hospital on a ventilator or (2) perfectly fine.

I have read about blod clots, lung damage, and chronic fatigue.

"People who have been seriously unwell and treated on intensive care units can expect to take some months to recover fully, regardless of their ailment. However, with COVID-19, evidence is mounting that some people who have had relatively mild symptoms at home may also have a prolonged illness. Overwhelming fatigue, palpitations, muscle aches, pins and needles and many more symptoms are being reported as after-effects of the virus. Around 10% of the 3.9 million people contributing to the COVID Symptom Study app have effects lasting more than four weeks. "

-- article - https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-why-are-some-people-experiencing-long-term-fatigue-141405

It seems to me that pro athletes really really want to protect their bodies. If I were a player or an agent, I'd be treading pretty carefully.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It was comical the copy paste tweets from all the stars the past few days. It was like watching the news and flipping channels, they use the same exact phrase for a story no matter the network just like they’re reading from a script.

It reminded me of political talking points on a Sunday morning show. When everyone is using the same terminology, there is a strong likelihood that they aren't using their own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.