OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Falcons need a QB but I hate to see Raheem sink because of Fields.

Smarter move for Raheem? I think so.

Is 1 team planning an aggressive pursuit of Kirk Cousins?​

There is growing speculation that one team might be planning a full-court press to try to lure quarterback Kirk Cousins to their team.

On Thursday, WSB TV’s Zach Klein told Dukes & Bell that the Atlanta Falcons are putting all their attention toward signing Cousins as a free agent. Klein even said owner Arthur Blank has directed the front office to pay whatever is necessary to bring Cousins to Atlanta.

“Everybody I’ve talked to says the logical thing is for them to (make) a veteran move,” Klein said, via Logan Mullen of Audacy. “All eyes, all arrows, everything points towards Kirk Cousins — and Arthur Blank has basically told his front office that. Do what you’ve got to do, pay what you’ve got to pay, get it done.”

This was somewhat corroborated by Vikings play-by-play announcer Paul Allen on his KFAN radio show. On Thursday, Allen went as far as to say that the Falcons “covet Cousins more than [Justin] Fields,” via Adam Patrick of The Viking Age.

Indeed, the Falcons have been prominently linked to Fields since it became apparent the Chicago Bears are more likely than not to trade him. They have been linked to Cousins as well, but the idea that they might prefer the veteran is a new one.

Cousins had his 2023 season cut short by an Achilles injury but is on track to be back in 2024. He threw for 18 touchdowns in eight games before suffering his season-ending injury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Is 1 team planning an aggressive pursuit of Kirk Cousins?​

There is growing speculation that one team might be planning a full-court press to try to lure quarterback Kirk Cousins to their team.

On Thursday, WSB TV’s Zach Klein told Dukes & Bell that the Atlanta Falcons are putting all their attention toward signing Cousins as a free agent. Klein even said owner Arthur Blank has directed the front office to pay whatever is necessary to bring Cousins to Atlanta.

“Everybody I’ve talked to says the logical thing is for them to (make) a veteran move,” Klein said, via Logan Mullen of Audacy. “All eyes, all arrows, everything points towards Kirk Cousins — and Arthur Blank has basically told his front office that. Do what you’ve got to do, pay what you’ve got to pay, get it done.”

This was somewhat corroborated by Vikings play-by-play announcer Paul Allen on his KFAN radio show. On Thursday, Allen went as far as to say that the Falcons “covet Cousins more than [Justin] Fields,” via Adam Patrick of The Viking Age.

Indeed, the Falcons have been prominently linked to Fields since it became apparent the Chicago Bears are more likely than not to trade him. They have been linked to Cousins as well, but the idea that they might prefer the veteran is a new one.

Cousins had his 2023 season cut short by an Achilles injury but is on track to be back in 2024. He threw for 18 touchdowns in eight games before suffering his season-ending injury.
Cousins has expressed that he prefers to stay with the Vikings. I wonder how much it will cost to pull him away from a good situation with O’Connel, McVay offense and two very good receivers. Plus they have a good defense.

I’d want to be where I think I have the best chance to win, at this point in Cousins career.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Safer for sure. Higher floor, just a lower ceiling in terms of potential.

Not a bad call by Morris as Cousins steps in day one and knows the scheme. Should enable early wins and stability. Also Cousins wife being from the area and family and all makes sense.

Also allows Raheem to go BPA up high. Wideout, Edge, Bowers one should be there at 8.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Safer for sure. Higher floor, just a lower ceiling in terms of potential.

Not a bad call by Morris as Cousins steps in day one and knows the scheme. Should enable early wins and stability. Also Cousins wife being from the area and family and all makes sense.

Also allows Raheem to go BPA up high. Wideout, Edge, Bowers one should be there at 8.
Why would he go Bowers as they have Kyle Pitts who was criminally underutilized last year?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would he go Bowers as they have Kyle Pitts who was criminally underutilized last year?
It's what I'd do if Bowers is there. I'd take Bowers to ensure Cousins has a long term safety blanket in the pass game. Then I'd use the depth of the wideout group to grab one round 2 or 3. Or go edge top of round 2, something like that.

But as I mentioned wideout or edge should be strong and viable at their top pick as well. I'm just not a Pitts fan.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think he'd be like Miller or Suh in that he'll "turn it on" as he sniffs the postseason. So closer you get to the playoffs you'll get the work rate stuff. Mack can definitely do that.

Re: pressures... Mack had 36 pressures. Nick Bosa, for reference purposes, had 44. AD had 31 from the interior. In Mack's first two seasons he was in the 40s.

Seems like Mack would be a classic Snead/McVay move if he is cut. Also I would guess the Rams get more from him snap to snap than Staley did. Staley is all brains and his defense underachieved. So if they go get Mack off the street I would be quite excited but of course he needs to be cut vice traded.
I know mack probably would not go unsigned into the season, but he seems to be a good “vmiller/Weddle” type signing—maybe no longer cut out for the grind of a full season, but should he come to the party late, he might have the jets to help get the job done.

I am in THAT camp more than I am for signing one of these guys requiring a mega deal. I like what the Rams did last year—draft top end talent and augment it by picking up next level players like Robinson and Dotson (who turned out to be more than a solid pickup, but didn’t come with that kind of a price tag).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought the same exact thing when I saw that tweet! Smith however is not as durable as Big Whit but, it would be great to get him on a 1 year ring chasing deal.
Yep. NOT a durable player.

Smith is 33. Hard to believe Whitworth was 36 when he joined the Rams.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smith is 33. Hard to believe Whitworth was 36 when he joined the Rams.
Yeah it's crazy how big the Rams hit on Whit. That year looking at the FAs I completely overlooked him due to his age. That was a big surprise to me when they went after him.

Smith is tempting though, even with the injury history. If for example they were to add him, move Jackson to RG, get Boom restructured to a depth number somehow, then draft a Center... That would be the makings of a deep playoff OL.

Also it would free that pick up at 19 for defense which I would like very much. The center addition doesn't need to be early which is nice. I mean it could be. Like Powers or Frazier after a slight trade down. Or a bit later.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm a team drafting a rookie QB in this class and I've got the money in FA, I'm paring them with Mike Evans. 100%
Bears draft Caleb at 1 Nabers at 9 and sign Evans. Added to Kmet at TE and the 2 RB they have and they might be good in spite of being the Bears.

WestCoastRam

Legend

A surprise big-money position?​

Fowler: Yup, good money will be spent on guards this offseason. So many teams need them and have targeted the position, and Detroit's Jonah Jackson, Miami's Robert Hunt, New England's Mike Onwenu and the Los Angeles Rams' Kevin Dotson are among the top options. Don't be surprised if some or all from this group command $16 million or more.

Will there be enough seats in the musical chairs for all of them to get paid? It's very possible. Consider all of the teams that really need guard help, including the Giants, Jets, Panthers and Jaguars.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Peter King’s final MMQB. It’s mostly a goodbye piece, but what caught my eye is Jared Goff is mentioned in his final paragraph. That’s kind of cool.

View: https://x.com/peter_king/status/1764516739516105146?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

“I’ve been asked a few times over the past week who has reached out to say happy trails. Many co-workers and subjects from 40 years of writing I’d expect, and quite a few (Jared Goff, for one; and Mike McCarthy, who I was pretty rough on after the Dallas playoff loss, for another) I wouldn’t expect. All of it is so nice. I’m appreciative.”