OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Narrative. Give me a break. The dude has clear weaknesses, that is the gist of it.

Wonder what the "narrative" will be when the OC who got shitcanned because he was holding him back puts Herbert back on the map in LA. It should be instructive. :laugh4:
Are you gonna tell me you watch Ravens games just like you do Tar Heel games?

Psycho_X

Legend
Flowers is promising but a rook
And relying on a rookie for important moments is rough deep in the playoffs. If Flowers doesn't taunt and then fumble the ball at the goal line soon after the Ravens may very well be Super Bowl champions right now. That may have been a legacy defining drive for Lamar and it got killed by a rook. Play calling by Ravens coaches was crap too. Lamar has his faults but overall he has grown into a champion caliber QB if he can stay healthy.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Are you gonna tell me you watch Ravens games just like you do Tar Heel games?
Yes I do watch their games. Are you going to get all smug and keep insinuating that a different opinion means I have some sort of objective to discredit the player.

Because that is what you are doing. Saying there is a narrative is basically insinuating that anyone who doesn't buy your opinion has some bias that is working against them seeing some truth.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes I do watch their games. Are you going to get all smug and keep insinuating that a different opinion means I have some sort of objective to discredit the player.

Because that is what you are doing. Saying there is a narrative is basically insinuating that anyone who doesn't buy your opinion has some bias that is working against them seeing some truth.
Yes, I am being smug. And I'm sorry for that.

However, just cause I'm saying there is a narrative doesn't mean you're subject to it or that that's what I'm being smug about. I'd like to hear an argument from you that defines Lamar's clear weaknesses, gives examples that we can all observe and discuss and clarifies your critiques.

And look, this is a message board, you don't have to do that. I'm sure you've got better things to do. But the less specific any of us are discussing these things (me included!) the more likely we'll end up in disagreements like this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

However, just cause I'm saying there is a narrative doesn't mean you're subject to it or that that's what I'm being smug about. I'd like to hear an argument from you that defines Lamar's clear weaknesses, gives examples that we can all observe and discuss and clarifies your critiques.

And look, this is a message board, you don't have to do that. I'm sure you've got better things to do. But the less specific any of us are discussing these things (me included!) the more likely we'll end up in disagreements like this.
I’ll join in on this. Take away Lamar’s legs and what caliber of QB is he?

Todd Monken ran a quick read, run and shoot style offense. Do you think Lamar Jackson could thrive under McVay and the Rams offense? I don’t. Teams that contained Jackson were able to beat him. If the Rams had contained him, then they beat him in that game. That’s with the secondary being the Ram’s weakest unit on the team.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Todd Monken ran a quick read, run and shoot style offense. Do you think Lamar Jackson could thrive under McVay and the Rams offense? I don’t. Teams that contained Jackson were able to beat him. If the Rams had contained him, then they beat him in that game. That’s with the secondary being the Ram’s weakest unit on the team.
This is a great question. I have some thoughts and gonna try to get back to this as I sadly have to go make money. I do think Jackson would be amazing in a Shanny system. I'll try to pull up some clips but it's time consuming. Point being, I think he's become very good from pocket and can beat teams from there. I do think containing him helps you win against him but it's not the end all be all.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I have done this many times already. I summarized my take on running QBs in other threads. You will read past the key points and make assumptions as per usual but what the hell let me try again.

Jackson needs to be able to win from the pocket. He is one of the best runners at the position ever. He won the MVP largely fueled by that ground threat. But when it comes to big games he has to be able to find receivers in that handful of plays where the result of the game turns. This year he had the team around him to win it all. That was a title roster. But they came up short. This next year he may not have that quality of team around him, so missing that title was an enormous hit to him and his legacy. But the book on Jackson is to contain him and stop their run game and you can beat him, and that proved true this year in the playoffs in spite of him leading a STACKED team.

And as to your smug comment about Maye and hyper obsessed desire to take offense that he's "not a running QB" I will say again from the moment he comes into the league teams will play him as a pocket QB. They will come after him. He will not be able to counter that and slow the rush because he's not enough of a threat with his legs. Which will prove to be true in his rookie season I can assure you. He is not going to blow it up on the ground. His ceiling however is potentially very high. Because he does project to win from the pocket. I have knocks on his passing and all that btw, but the talent is there.

The QBs who have that plus run threat on top of winning from the pocket have potential to be those super elites like Elway and Mahomes. But it's not necessary. The only thing that is necessary is being able to win in the playoffs when a team contains you in the pocket. Because if you cannot do that teams will do that to you and you will go home.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a great question. I have some thoughts and gonna try to get back to this as I sadly have to go make money. I do think Jackson would be amazing in a Shanny system. I'll try to pull up some clips but it's time consuming. Point being, I think he's become very good from pocket and can beat teams from there. I do think containing him helps you win against him but it's not the end all be all.
He may be able to play well in the current Shanahan offense with their current roster. A lot of QBs would. I don’t think he’d excel in McVays version with the Rams.

I think Lamar is like Kyler Murray, who really struggled with the Fangio defense. That’s why Lamar didn’t really get going until he started using his legs against the Rams. If he doesn’t have his first read consistently and a team can muddy up what he’s looking at then he becomes indecisive and holds the ball too long. Had the Rams been able to contain him they win that game easily.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think if Lamar had Kupp and Puka to throw to, he'd be a different guy

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd add a speed threat if I was their GM. They have Andrews across the middle. Flowers up and coming. Beckham was in good form for that run they just had but I don't trust him to hold together, so I'd want another downfield threat that can stretch it vertically.

Lamar has all kinds of arm so using it or at least threatening to use it would be my plan.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno how much better he'd be honestly. And I'm a Lamar fan. I don't think he progresses or makes the throws the way Stafford does though. Just not his game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
When the opposing game plan is to try and keep him in the pocket I'd say some DC's don't agree with you.
They try to keep Mahomes in the pocket, too.
Not suggesting he’s at same level.. it’s just easier to set your coverage.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's not forget the Ravens manhandled the Whiners just a few weeks ago, along with several other strong teams. Lamar is a great QB and can certainly win a SB. KC was just on a mission this year. They beat everyone... not just Lamar.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Zay Flowers didn't have a brain freeze in that game, KC might not have even made it to the Super Bowl this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's not forget the Ravens manhandled the Whiners just a few weeks ago, along with several other strong teams. Lamar is a great QB and can certainly win a SB. KC was just on a mission this year. They beat everyone... not just Lamar.
Sounds like hindsight talking. Ravens should have been the team "on a mission" this year. They had the roster.

Same goes for Buffalo and their incredible running QB by the way. Difference between being a footnote in history and being the champs is a handful of plays per game where players step up and get it the fuck done.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
How did the Free Agents thread turn into a Lamar Jackson debate? :laugh3:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1709254001244.png