OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's negative to you it seems. I never said he can't develop into a decent passer. Quite the opposite I wanted McVay to sign him if cut to see what they can do with him. But again right now he's not a good passer of the football. We can blame whoever we want for that but he's yet to develop that part of the game. But I wouldn't if given the option trade for him right now and pay him
Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick both became better passers, Cunningham was exceptional with the Vikings, and Vick was devastating as an Eagle. I also think Donovan McNabb & Steve McNair became really good passers.
IMO its significantly more flattering than system QB, it requires an incredible amount of god given talent to be able to do both

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
D-Lineman Earnest Brown was one of just a couple Practice Squad players the Rams did not sign after the Season to a Reserve Futures contract. Just saw where Brown signed with the 49ers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick both became better passers, Cunningham was exceptional with the Vikings, and Vick was devastating as an Eagle. I also think Donovan McNabb & Steve McNair became really good passers.
IMO its significantly more flattering than system QB, it requires an incredible amount of god given talent to be able to do both
Yeah it's amazing what good coaching and a supporting cast can do.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The following tweets in that thread debunked this. Says this was old and it was him imitiating HS special teams players...or something like that.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You'd rather they pass up the best QB in the draft and a better QB than Fields? Upgrade the most important position and reset the salary of the highest paid position in one pick?
I would love to be wrong on Fields and for the Bears to watch him mature in Atlanta. Can't stand the Bears. But I think Williams will be good to great.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I saw a stat that said fields was the worst fourth quarter QB in the league. That's enough for me to not be a believer in his upside. If a QB can't play well in the fourth quarter, how's he going to win playoff games against good defenses!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know that I'd go that far. "Devastating"? He had 1 good year in Philly (2010 that ended in the WC round) and earned him CPOY and a Pro Bowl. Was he a better passer? Or did he have a better surrounding cast and an offensive minded coach? Same with Cunningham. His "exceptional" was 1 good year in Minnesota (1998) at age 35. I don't believe he suddenly became a better passer at age 35. But under Dennis Green (Billick, OC) as opposed to Buddy Ryan, Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes (Ted Plumb, Zeke Bratkowski OCs) he certainly "looked" better...for 1 year. I would expect QBs to be wiser as their careers unfold. And a better scheme and surrounding cast can do wonders for a wiser QB. But to your point, good QBs should get better the longer they're playing. In my mind the question is, is Fields a "good QB"?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that I'd go that far. "Devastating"? He had 1 good year in Philly (2010 that ended in the WC round) and earned him CPOY and a Pro Bowl. Was he a better passer? Or did he have a better surrounding cast and an offensive minded coach? Same with Cunningham. His "exceptional" was 1 good year in Minnesota (1998) at age 35. I don't believe he suddenly became a better passer at age 35. But under Dennis Green (Billick, OC) as opposed to Buddy Ryan, Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes (Ted Plumb, Zeke Bratkowski OCs) he certainly "looked" better...for 1 year. I would expect QBs to be wiser as their careers unfold. And a better scheme and surrounding cast can do wonders for a wiser QB. But to your point, good QBs should get better the longer they're playing. In my mind the question is, is Fields a "good QB"?
From their early years when their passing ability was sub par to where they ultimately got to skill wise? Precipitous climb.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lamar ran the ball 150 times last year and averages over 11 rushes per game in his career, Mahomes averages less than 4 rushes per game. Only 37 guys had more rushing attempts than Jackson last year, 1 of them another running QB Jalen Hurts.
I'm a huge Jackson fan but until he wins post season games with his arm, he's a run first QB

Worse passing stats than Trubisky who is universally considered a bust
For someone who is really impressed with Lamar as a passer and think there is a narrative about him, he really looked like crap in the playoffs this year passing the ball. Their whole offensive game plan was cooked.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Fields biggest weakness as a passer is passing over the middle... which is a huge staple of the Shannahan/McVay system. So... will the system fix that for him or will he not be able to operate it in ATL.

Interestingly, after looking at Jayden Daniels more, he strikes me as a slighter (is this kid gonna get broken in half on the field?) Fields with a less strong arm who also struggles to throw over the middle... so I'm really not sure about what teams are seeing in him. But that's why I don't run a front office.

WestCoastRam

Legend
In the words of Mark Twain, facts are stubborn but statistics are more pliable. Lamar Jackson's passing numbers are a product of what he does with his legs. How many big plays were created by his running ability? He buys more time to throw as good or better than anyone with that mobility.

Just like when some people say Brock Purdy is elite because of the numbers. He's had the benefit of all pro talent around him. He throws a 4 yard pass that results in a 50 yard TD. He gets credit for 50 yards and a touchdown. The stats say he threw a great pass. He can't make throws the elite guys can but the system and talent doesn't need him to.
Jackson has become fantastic from the pocket.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For someone who is really impressed with Lamar as a passer and think there is a narrative about him, he really looked like crap in the playoffs this year passing the ball. Their whole offensive game plan was cooked.
I'm a huge fan of the guy and would legit take him over most QB's in the league, I liken his playoff disappointments to Peyton Manning, who struggled in the playoffs at first because he was the entire offense. The guy doesnt have the weapons, he is the weapon.
Odell just aint the same, Flowers is promising but a rook and their running back room is like a mash unit

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Narrative. Give me a break. The dude has clear weaknesses, that is the gist of it.

Wonder what the "narrative" will be when the OC who got shitcanned because he was holding him back puts Herbert back on the map in LA. It should be instructive. :laugh4:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm a huge fan of the guy and would legit take him over most QB's in the league, I liken his playoff disappointments to Peyton Manning, who struggled in the playoffs at first because he was the entire offense. The guy doesnt have the weapons, he is the weapon.
Odell just aint the same, Flowers is promising but a rook and their running back room is like a mash unit
The Chiefs basically dared them to run in that game and they just wouldn't.