49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's a new classic anti-SF meme right there. :laugh4:

Name
Brandon
It gets even worse than purdy’s inability to play from behind. Apparently the affliction is also suffered by their HC. He has a dismal record when coaching from behind, especially if it’s more than 1 score going into the second half.

Look at heir schedule/record this season. They’ve blown out a lot of good teams, but the only one score game they’ve won was vs the Rams in week 2.

I have to say that the Rams, no matter how long the odds, are probably the team with the best chance of going on the road and beating the 9ers in the postseason.
This right here! Couldn’t have said it better

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
As someone who obviously doesn’t live in California, I would like to ask a question: how long has this hatred of the 49ers been in place?

I started watching the NFL in 1985 and there didn’t appear to be anywhere near the enmity between the two franchises back then. Rivals? Yes. But respectful ones.

Did it start with the SOSAR bollocks?

Or is it like football support here in the UK, where wall-to-wall coverage and social media have combined to drive up vitriolic behaviour amongst fans?

Any answers, especially from people who have to live with Whiners fans on a daily basis, would be appreciated.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
For me it started in 1977 when I chose the Rams as my team. It seemed that any time I watched football with my Grandad it was the Rams and niners. He was a niners fan, but I chose the Rams because the niners sucked. The hatred grew as I got older.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
As someone who obviously doesn’t live in California, I would like to ask a question: how long has this hatred of the 49ers been in place?

I started watching the NFL in 1985 and there didn’t appear to be anywhere near the enmity between the two franchises back then. Rivals? Yes. But respectful ones.

Or is it like football support here in the UK, where wall-to-wall coverage and social media have combined to drive up vitriolic behaviour amongst fans?

Any answers, especially from people who have to live with Whiners fans on a daily basis, would be appreciated.
1950s.

I hated them in the first full year I was on board, 1976. Their QB then wasn't very good. His name: Jim Plunkett.

Even though we beat them a lot in the late 70s I still couldn't stand them and wanted to keep pounding them, and their fans were scarce where I lived.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Even when Montana was playing, I never had a hatred for the whiners. They were just another team to me.

It was ken norton jr, charles haley and merton hanks that really made me hate the whiners. Just when the hatred was dissipating a bit, along came rat boy and dweebo samuel and the hatred flared up again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Even when Montana was playing, I never had a hatred for the whiners. They were just another team to me.

It was ken norton jr, charles haley and merton hanks that really made me hate the whiners. Just when the hatred was dissipating a bit, along came rat boy and dweebo samuel and the hatred flared up again.

We’ll say whatever you want.Ratboy is like the Big Brother to all these guys.

Then The Tampa guys that Mcvay was part of. In reality Sean Mcvay loves the NINER’s deep inside.

Of course his Number 1 goal each season is to Beat The 9ers.
Seeing The Rams beat the NINER’s & win the Superbowl was really satisfying.Liked it when Andy Reed & Mahomes won Superbowl beating Ratboy.

I guess it’s happening again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

For me it was what Mojo said. The 17 straight losses. But it goes beyond that too. It can be the demeanor or level of disrespect from their players. Like you noted SOSAR bs or Deebo dancing through the tunnel as if they had already won the 2021 NFCCG. Late hits, head butting our QB, etc…

It can also be the personality of the head coach. I had no problem with Bill Walsh. But I don’t think I’d want to hang out with Kyle Shanahan. The fans always play a big part as well.

During the legion of boom days, the Niners took a backseat to the Seahawks for me. I don’t like smugness and Pete always seemed so smug back in those days. I don’t like chippy play and they had a lot of that. Then there was the bragging from their players and fans.

So to me it’s a fluid situation.

This doesn’t mean that I don’t respect the entire team. I’ve always liked Bobby Wagner, and Marshawn Lynch, for example. Purdy seems like a nice kid too.

Some here may not understand this but it’s what being a fan is all about. Fan = fanatic.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've never liked the 49ers. It began in the 70's. But the dislike went to hatred in the 80's during he Joe Montana years. I live in 49er/Raider territory. When the 49ers are winning their fans are insufferable. They strut around with this "My dog's better than your dog" attitude. When they're losing they become "Eh, its my team but I really don't watch much".

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The losses were one thing but the way the shitters and their loud mouthed and entitled fuckhead fans rubbed it in built a very high resentment level. The 90s and living under Georgia was bad enough. Those bastards made it much worse.

This is why I try to be respectful with fans of teams we routinely beat. Couple of my neighbors are Cards fans and I go out of my way to endure their hopes when we talk ball. And I think to myself holy Jesus I probably used to be worse than this. :laugh3:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The losses were one thing but the way the shitters and their loud mouthed and entitled fuckhead fans rubbed it in built a very high resentment level. The 90s and living under Georgia was bad enough. Those bastards made it much worse.

This is why I try to be respectful with fans of teams we routinely beat. Couple of my neighbors are Cards fans and I go out of my way to endure their hopes when we talk ball. And I think to myself holy Jesus I probably used to be worse than this. :laugh3:
I try to do the same, even to Eagles, Cowboy, and Steeler fans.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

I had a roommate for a while in the early 90's who was a Niner fan from Napa. He comes in one night and finds me watching a pre-season Ram game.

"Didn't know you were a Rams fan."

"Yeah."

"What's that like?"

He was a great guy, I've always loved him and his wife. But I wanted to throat-punch him at that moment.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I had a roommate for a while in the early 90's who was a Niner fan from Napa.
Had a huge 49er fan as a roommate in 1984. He moved to a different apt. But at halftime of the 49er game in Anaheim, he came over and said, "Where's Dan"? --- I was watching alone in my room watching on my TV, not out where the big TV was. It was 28-0 at halftime. ended 28-14.

When Rams beat them in SF ... he didn't come over to rub it in.

A dish-it-out-can't take-it type.

That was my first contact with a huge 49ers fan. Told me a lot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

When I think back about my early years watching the Rams, I always felt that the whiners and their fans were basing their entire worth on beating the Rams. To me it was just another game against a division foe. It just seemed that once they actually got good, they and their fans couldn't handle it with grace. Instead, they try to act like they are superior beings for being whiner fans. I just want to tell them all to eat a bag of dicks.

Fast forward and I think it is like a lot of things these days. You're nothing if you're not polarized against the stated enemy. That seems to be extremely amplified when it comes to football fans. I admit to falling into this to an extent myself. I no longer view them as just a division foe. I consider them the enemy and... well... you know. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. So I want every other team to be my friend - at least for a day.

All this and the fact that WAY too many of those fucking whiner fans are moving here to Reno and fucking up the entire area.

dang

Legend
Had a huge 49er fan as a roommate in 1984. He moved to a different apt. But at halftime of the 49er game in Anaheim, he came over and said, "Where's Dan"? --- I was watching alone in my room watching on my TV, not out where the big TV was. It was 28-0 at halftime. ended 28-14.

When Rams beat them in SF ... he didn't come over to rub it in.

A dish-it-out-can't take-it type.

That was my first contact with a huge 49ers fan. Told me a lot.
The rivalry has been there since I became a Rams fan in 1072 but For me it’s mostly been their pos fans. So full of bravado when they win. So full of excuses when they lose. I’ve also found they aren’t trustworthy when they bet. Have 2 69er fans in my fantasy league. They don’t show up to watch games when 69ers are struggling but they are there all hooting and hollering when they’re having success. And one of them will get but won’t pay up. Claiming there was never a bet. Like I said just Sosa69r fans.