49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The Steelers are just Ridiculously
BAD. I mean 49ers aren’t being challenged as much.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Incidentally: does this deserve its own thread?

Surely one 49ers thread is enough; they don’t deserve a second.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There will be a lot of dicks in arseholes down in faesces city today.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

49ers Were Prepared To Offer No. 2 Overall Pick For Kirk Cousins In 2017​

September 14th, 2023 at 10:05pm CST • By Sam Robinson
The late 2010s featured three offseasons filled with Kirk Cousins headlines. A number of “what if?” scenarios emerged from the saga that produced two Cousins franchise tags and a fully guaranteed Vikings free agency offer.

Residing as a key player in the Cousins market — due to Kyle Shanahan‘s ties to the productive quarterback — the 49ers removed themselves from the equation back in 2018, when they re-signed then-recent trade acquisition Jimmy Garoppolo. Shanahan had confirmed at the time the organization had Cousins on the radar between the point of the Garoppolo trade (October 2017) and his extension (February 2018). San Francisco was willing to make a bigger move for Shanahan’s former Washington pupil before that point.

ADVERTISEMENT

A source rather close to this situation, Mike Shanahan said Kyle was willing to offer Washington the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft for Cousins, via The Athletic’s Alec Lewis (subscription required). The 49ers’ 2-14 showing in 2016 led them to holding the second overall pick in 2017, the first year of the Kyle Shanahan-John Lynch regime. After making back-to-back HCs one-and-dones, 49ers CEO Jed York gave Shanahan and Lynch six-year contracts. The second-generation NFL HC appeared prepared to put the long leash to good use in the first weeks of his San Francisco tenure.

At the time, we heard three teams expressed interest in Cousins via trade. Washington had franchise-tagged Cousins in 2016 and was preparing to do so again, and the 49ers always appeared likely to be involved in an effort to acquire him. Prior to venturing to Cleveland and then Atlanta, Kyle Shanahan had coached Cousins for two seasons in Washington, operating as his father’s OC.

An offer of the No. 2 overall pick for a franchise-caliber QB going into his age-29 season would have been interesting, but Mike Shanahan indicated, via Lewis, his former team “wouldn’t even return the phone call.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Snyder and president Bruce Allen ran the Washington franchise at this point, and stability proved elusive. Contentious negotiations took place later that year, with Allen famously mispronouncing Cousins’ first name — the “Kurt” interview — multiple times in the wake of a second round of July negotiations not producing a deal. Cousins, of course, played out a second season on the tag and signed a fully guaranteed three-year, $84MM deal with the Vikings in 2018.

This trade proposal also came about during a period that did not feature the quarterback movement the 2020s have brought. This saga played a part in that change. After previously being told Garoppolo was unavailable, the 49ers quickly accepted the Patriots’ offer of the then-Tom Brady backup for a second-rounder. Three months later, Washington agreed to trade for Alex Smith — more than a month before Cousins hit free agency — in 2018.

The 49ers did not carry a starter-level QB into the 2017 season, beginning the year with Brian Hoyer and third-round pick C.J. Beathard as their top options. They had used the high draft choice on Solomon Thomas, trading down with the Bears, who had drafted Mitchell Trubisky at No. 2. The early part of the 49ers’ 2017 draft did not age well, with Thomas going ahead of Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson and the team’s No. 31 overall choice (Reuben Foster) washing out after multiple off-field incidents. Shanahan’s team found its footing with Garoppolo in the years to come, though QB headlines have been constant during the Garoppolo-Trey LanceBrock Purdy era in San Francisco.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cousins, 35, is now in the final year of his third Vikings contract. The team extended its starter for a second time in 2022 but only restructured the deal in 2023. Cousins does not expect another round of Vikes talks until 2024, though he has said many times he wants to stay in Minnesota. It would be unlikely the 49ers would circle back to Cousins were he to reach free agency next year, as Brock Purdy has received steady praise from Shanahan. But with Lance gone and the former Mr. Irrelevant not yet fully entrenched as a long-term option, this door may not be fully closed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They extended Garoppolo because of that 5 game win streak at the end of 2017. I think by now everyone knows Cousins woulda been the better option. Then they had a shot at Brady but thought it was better to stick with Garoppolo. When they finally realized Garoppolo was not gonna lead them to the promised land, they traded multiple first for Trey Lance. Who is now with the Cowboys. To say they botched things with the most important position is an understatement. They then lucked into Purdy. Had nothing to do with shrewd moves. And we still don't know if Purdy will continue to play at the level he's been playing. We do know he does really well with lesser teams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
And we still don't know if Purdy will continue to play at the level he's been playing. We do know he does really well with lesser teams.

I hope we heat his ass up woth a pass rush this Sunday to see how he plays against pressure.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
1hit.jpg

:laugh4:

oldnotdead

Legend
I think the OL will hold up pretty well. When I watched more of the All 22 focused as much as possible on the OL. In pass protection they all held up pretty well including Noteboom. The dude is mobile as more than once he pulled and actually crossed over to the left side to help out. Because of that aspect you have to wonder if they will simply keep him at RG permanently.

It's in the run blocking where they have issues. Especially in passing off blocks and blocking on the second level. All of them really need to improve there. Once they do the run attack will develop. It wasn't just Noteboom who missed blocks in the run game. They are being asked to do a lot. They might try to simplify the run blocking in this game.

The offense simply needs a few games to get in rhythm and hit their stride. When they do they will be hard to stop. The defense has been criticized for the edges not getting pressure. When you watch All 22 you see exactly what I've been saying about how Morris has them playing. The DL is many times just 3 guys and the edges are hesitating and reading the play not attacking. When the dogs are turned lose they can penetrate and get pressure. In other words sometimes there is no pressure by design and the QB sees it and opts for the pass if it's RPO. That's why Geno had so much time. If Morris would play his front as aggressively as Pleasant has the secondary playing this is a top 12 defense right now. How well this style will work against the Niners is debatable.

On early downs Morris opts to play run first which IMO is making it too easy on Purdy, not forcing him to read the front. Using his OLB as WIL and SAM roles is fine but he needs to play Hampton and Hardy who have the speed and althleticism to play coverage. I assume they feel that neither of those two is ready, but it's clear Hoecht and VanValkenburg are too raw as well. Morris would be better to play a safety in those roles until his OLBs are ready. On early downs it's clear Morris is simply playing to defend the LOS which is pure Fangio and Miami's defense sucked so bad it was obvious why teams are moving away from that style. It simply can't compete against a high powered balance offense.

It will be interesting to see what if any adjustments are made for this next game.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Screenshot (38).png

Nearly 9 years between victories. Still defies all reason...

God I absolutely loathe that franchise.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
View attachment 61519

Nearly 9 years between victories. Still defies all reason...

I am a little confused (more so than usual).

The Rams beat the 49ers in 2017; and twice in 2018. It's been a long time but the above doesn't make sense.

As far as your '9 years' comment, could you mean 9 straight in the regular season because that is accurate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams beat the 49ers in 2017; and twice in 2018. It's been a long time but the above doesn't make sense.

As far as your '9 years' comment, could you mean 9 straight in the regular season because that is accurate.

that screen shot is from the 90s.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
that screen shot is from the 90s.

Thanks for pointing that out ... so it's not relevant in 2023; and the '9 years' comment is still wrong.

It's also kind of funny because that graphic was from Game 4 of the Rams' Championship 1999 season.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

That's a screen-shot from the telecast of the September 1999 Wk 5 game b/t the Rams and Niners. At that point the Rams had not beaten them since November, 1990.

Nearly.Nine.Years.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That's a screen-shot from the telecast of the September 1999 Wk 5 game b/t the Rams and Niners. At that point the Rams had not beaten them since November, 1990.

Nearly.Nine.Years.
Got It. Thanks for the clarification. And, I also Loathe that franchise.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Not sure if anyone agrees with me but I thought I'd toss this out.

It seems to me that the whiners telegraph certain plays, which I can see coming from a mile away but the Ram's defense never seems to make any adjustments to.

The whiners line up for example, with a TE on the right side of O-line. They also line up a RB on that same side. Then send mccaffrey or dickhead samuel in motion to that side. Purdy lobs the ball to them and they pick up big yards and first downs because it winds up being the TE and RB blocking the one guy playing edge. I think they called that play 7-8 times in the last game and our best effort, if I recall, was an 8 yard gain.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if anyone agrees with me but I thought I'd toss this out.

It seems to me that the whiners telegraph certain plays, which I can see coming from a mile away but the Ram's defense never seems to make any adjustments to.

The whiners line up for example, with a TE on the right side of O-line. They also line up a RB on that same side. Then send mccaffrey or dickhead samuel in motion to that side. Purdy lobs the ball to them and they pick up big yards and first downs because it winds up being the TE and RB blocking the one guy playing edge. I think they called that play 7-8 times in the last game and our best effort, if I recall, was an 8 yard gain.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

These plays are easy to diffuse. You have to beat the block. It's that simple. They should know it's coming and have more will to break through contact.

I've seen so many of the Rams screens blown up by defenders blowing by blocks. Why can't the Rams consistently do it? They did it a few times in the 1st half last week but lost their way in the 2nd.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
SF starting hot, and mostly injury free. Teams that start this way rarely hold it together for 17 games. I.e. peak too early. That was Buffalo in 2022.

Hopefully the 49’ers follow that trend.

Make Purdy throw deeper passes, >15yds… take your chances.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Purdy < Stafford, he does not look like the type of QB that can carry his team when things are not going well. Also has not looked good on deep throws, even when given the time. Rams are much better at QB in my opinion.