Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Haven't you noticed that most NFL hiring is Nepotism. I bet there are extremely talented people that could do the job that we're seeing so far. I could call 10 yard cushions all day too. Zone Cover 4 every play. Sure why not. Done.
That was Fishers defense.The rabbit-JJ would always play off the ball.Pick up 3rd & short every time.Simple inside slant

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really think that fans - generally - and I'm sure many of y'all are football geniuses and all who just havent had your number called by the NFL and all - but for the most part, I really do believe that we are like pets trying to keep up with their families conversations. We can pick up a word here or there - and we love the hell out out of what is going on most of the time - but we don't really get what is happening out there and certainly not why it is happening.

Its cool to bitch about decisions and certainly results - but lets just stop with the charade that you actually understand the complexity of NFL football. We are fans - lets just stay in our lane a bit.

Just because you can’t understand it doesn’t mean every fan doesn’t understand it too. You don’t have to play or coach in the NFL to understand football. Nowadays colleges teach courses on the game. There are many books on the subject too.

My thinking on Morris’s Defense is that he doesn’t have the talent on the back aside from Ramsey, especially at safety where the Rams are very weak. But we continue to crown Snead for his expert drafting of late round picks and UDFA. Rapp was another waste of a second round pick. Scott is an athletic guy who played RB most of his life. They played well when they had the excellent football mind of Wendell on the field to guide them. But they struggle without him.

Tano

Legend
Yup, cherry pick all you like, dont let the facts speak for themselves
You call it cherry picking. I'm calling it like it is.

If we play soft zone coverage against Brady - he will score at minimum 30 points.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You call it cherry picking. I'm calling it like it is.

If we play soft zone coverage against Brady - he will score at minimum 30 points.
Calling it like it is by picking and choosing what games count? Interesting.
Sunday sucked, no doubt. While the D is an easy target, it also isnt the main culprit being the offense could only muster 4 1st downs and 50 total yards after they scored a TD midway thru the 2nd Q. How the D being gassed because it was on the field doesnt seem to factor in.
Its really incredible

Tano

Legend
Calling it like it is by picking and choosing what games count? Interesting.
Sunday sucked, no doubt. While the D is an easy target, it also isnt the main culprit being the offense could only muster 4 1st downs and 50 total yards after they scored a TD midway thru the 2nd Q. How the D being gassed because it was on the field doesnt seem to factor in.
Its really incredible
When I see 3 12 yard plays in a row because the Rams are 10 yards back on the plays early in the 3rd qtr tells me it is not working

Nothing you say tells me otherwise

He had 3 guys back in the first half and it worked for the most part 1 TD and then a late second qtr FG

Then he starts going 4 guys back and SF just steamrolls the defense in the second half

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I honestly think this argument has hit a brickwall so far, unless the Offense starts doing its end of the bargain by scoring more points and actually proving its out performing the Defense. Until then the Defense isn’t the only entity that deserves blame…

Tano

Legend
I honestly think this argument has hit a brickwall so far, unless the Offense starts doing its end of the bargain by scoring more points and actually proving its out performing the Defense. Until then the Defense isn’t the only entity that deserves blame…
I and most others have never blamed the defense.

We are saying if the defense played more press at times that they would be even better than they are

We have played press 100 times LESS than the second lowest team in the league

If we played more press, I am sure more good things would happen.

We had 2 sacks alone in the first half when we played partial press with only 3 guys back for gawd sake.

And the offense as bad as it has been needs all the help it can get

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
From Jourdan

Sean McVay reiterates execution was not “in alignment” with plan or expectation on defense - line of scrimmage and back end.
This is positive. Might indicate a willingness to sit the MFers who deserve it.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am guessing Rapp
Yeah definitely Rapp. Hill too. He has always been an accessory and this year he looks like a beat up pair of shades. Just play the kids. They're gonna fuck up as we have seen with Kendrick but we need to look at the youth in this secondary. Put them out there, coach them up, then see where it goes.

Hope McVay hangs around when he gets more offers from the networks. Big worry for me but it was always a matter of time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is positive. Might indicate a willingness to sit the MFers who deserve it.

If Morris hasn't sat rapp by now he never will. He must be the only person in the world who thinks rapp can play as a deep safety.

Tano

Legend
Yeah definitely Rapp. Hill too. He has always been an accessory and this year he looks like a beat up pair of shades. Just play the kids. They're gonna fuck up as we have seen with Kendrick but we need to look at the youth in this secondary. Put them out there, coach them up, then see where it goes.

Hope McVay hangs around when he gets more offers from the networks. Big worry for me but it was always a matter of time.
Thing is - Rapp is NOT a soft zone safety. I probably wouldn't have much issue with Rapp if he was a in the box safety with everyone playing mostly press coverage with Scott as the safety valve (even though I think Scott is more of a Strong Safety than a Free Safety).

And I agree with you on Hill. He is a decent back-up but not really a starter.

Put Rochelle in there. I want to see him in there especially if they make him a press CB on most downs.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why does Kendrick keep getting a pass? He free-lances as much as Marcus Peters always looking to make a splash play. He's dropped a lot of coverages that went for yardage because he gets fooled. He gave up a monster pass and got bailed out by Scott or it would have been a TD. He flat intentionally dropped his coverage. Yet Morris did squat.

Kendricks is another Hill, too slow to play boundary CB and too slow to play man. To say Morris doesn't have the CBs to play man is wrong. Rochell can play both man and zone. Durant can play man and zone both are way faster than Hendricks and Hill. With Kendricks and Hill Morris has to play zone because they can't play man. This is why they play a simplistic zone style. Staley played a combination of a zone/man hybrid system and had a top defense. There are times when the offense struggles which means the defense must step it up to win....when did people forget the object is to win. There will be times when the defense struggles and the offense must step it up. That's how you win championships.

Morris played this stupid simplistic soft zone early last year remember? Late in the year, he began to tighten things up. Halfway through the season and he's still playing his good enough style of defense. Well, IMO it ain't good enough. This defense is ranked about 12th in most surveys right now. Three future HOF players on defense and that is the best they can be, basically middle of the pack?

Wade Phillips used Rapp correctly and he was a stand out. He's best when played in the box as a roving SS. Morris keeps using him deep where his lack of speed is apparent. Morris starts Hendricks instead of Rochell, despite his lack of discipline (which has been costly) and lacking deep speed needed to play boundary CB. Morris plays Hill instead of Durant even though he lacks the speed and quickness that Durant has. Morris keeps starting Lewis even though it's apparent he's not a starting caliber player. They might be better off with Jonah Williams at DE who has the strength and speed lacking in Lewis.

Raheem has the players to play an attacking style of defense. But he lacks the balls to play that style. Besides he's going to play "his guys". I had hoped Morris had learned something from last year. But clearly, he didn't. When he played aggressively, the defense dominated. But for whatever reason, he only plays that way once the opposition reaches the Ram's 40. That is stupid. He's costing the Rams offense possessions it needs to win close games. IMO Raheem has proved he's not going to play to his unit's strength because for some reason it scares him to do so. He's wasting precious years of AD, Wagner, and Ramsey, and IMO that is a crime.

This defense was built to run a hybrid 3-4 but Morris doesn't play it that way. He has Gaines in a 0T which isn't playing to his strength which is a one gap NT. His whole unit isn't playing to it's strengths. Snead drafted Rochell because of his potential as a man coverage shutdown CB. But Morris has benched him for an undisciplined glory hunting rookie. Gutless Morris leaves the dicipline to Ramsey because he doesn't want to criticize his guy. That showed me all I needed to see.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why does Kendrick keep getting a pass? He free-lances as much as Marcus Peters always looking to make a splash play. He's dropped a lot of coverages that went for yardage because he gets fooled. He gave up a monster pass and got bailed out by Scott or it would have been a TD. He flat intentionally dropped his coverage. Yet Morris did squat.

Kendricks is another Hill, too slow to play boundary CB and too slow to play man. To say Morris doesn't have the CBs to play man is wrong. Rochell can play both man and zone. Durant can play man and zone both are way faster than Hendricks and Hill. With Kendricks and Hill Morris has to play zone because they can't play man. This is why they play a simplistic zone style. Staley played a combination of a zone/man hybrid system and had a top defense. There are times when the offense struggles which means the defense must step it up to win....when did people forget the object is to win. There will be times when the defense struggles and the offense must step it up. That's how you win championships.

Morris played this stupid simplistic soft zone early last year remember? Late in the year, he began to tighten things up. Halfway through the season and he's still playing his good enough style of defense. Well, IMO it ain't good enough. This defense is ranked about 12th in most surveys right now. Three future HOF players on defense and that is the best they can be, basically middle of the pack?

Wade Phillips used Rapp correctly and he was a stand out. He's best when played in the box as a roving SS. Morris keeps using him deep where his lack of speed is apparent. Morris starts Hendricks instead of Rochell, despite his lack of discipline (which has been costly) and lacking deep speed needed to play boundary CB. Morris plays Hill instead of Durant even though he lacks the speed and quickness that Durant has. Morris keeps starting Lewis even though it's apparent he's not a starting caliber player. They might be better off with Jonah Williams at DE who has the strength and speed lacking in Lewis.

Raheem has the players to play an attacking style of defense. But he lacks the balls to play that style. Besides he's going to play "his guys". I had hoped Morris had learned something from last year. But clearly, he didn't. When he played aggressively, the defense dominated. But for whatever reason, he only plays that way once the opposition reaches the Ram's 40. That is stupid. He's costing the Rams offense possessions it needs to win close games. IMO Raheem has proved he's not going to play to his unit's strength because for some reason it scares him to do so. He's wasting precious years of AD, Wagner, and Ramsey, and IMO that is a crime.

This defense was built to run a hybrid 3-4 but Morris doesn't play it that way. He has Gaines in a 0T which isn't playing to his strength which is a one gap NT. His whole unit isn't playing to it's strengths. Snead drafted Rochell because of his potential as a man coverage shutdown CB. But Morris has benched him for an undisciplined glory hunting rookie. Gutless Morris leaves the dicipline to Ramsey because he doesn't want to criticize his guy. That showed me all I needed to see.

Man realizes that the Rams defense has a personnel issue.. but doesn't realize the Rams defense has a personnel issue.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Great 11 personnel this week with extensive look at defensive scheme.

oldnotdead

Legend

What Morris calls bend not break is BS. What he is playing is essentially a prevent defense as his base scheme. Limit explosive plays? How's that working Raheem? The team is 3-4 and the role of a defense that refuses to force 3 and outs can't avoid their share of responsibility. When the offense is struggling with injuries the defense must step up and hold the line, i.e. quit conceding points. By his own admission, the explosive plays he tries to prevent have played a role in each of the losses.

You can try to prevent explosive plays without playing 10 yards off the LOS. Staley's defense was predicated on preventing explosive plays but he did it aggressively and the defense was dominant. Raheem comes in saying why fix what ain't broken, then he proceeds to do just that, i.e. he goes away from what was working. Morris' record as a HC and DC is miserable. Maybe he's a great guy personally, but he's a lousy DC.

What is sickening to watch is Morris knows how to play his defense aggressively. We saw it in the playoffs. But once again he's back to his prevent style scheme. When he plays that way he limits the number of possessions by the offense. An offense that is struggling needs every possession it can get. Playing from behind even by 3 points is playing from behind. All this prevent defense does is put pressure on the offense to score on every possession.

The excellent win rate by the DL is wasted because the short zone is undefended and available anytime an OC wants it. So the QB can make that short dumpoff to defeat the DL win rate. Tell me again Raheem how well your scheme is working. Last I heard winning is the only stat that matters. So you limit explosives but still lose, WOW great achievement Raheem.