Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
One of the interesting disconnects when it comes to coverage conversations….

Guys want to play tighter.. not a shell… so, you’re talking about single high safeties, most likely. You’ll be asking more from your safeties in coverage.

Think about that… you’ll be asking more of Taylor Rapp and Nick Scott in coverage.
That is a valid point. They would have to bench Rapp to do it. There are a couple of young guys behind him that couldn't do worse. Scott has made some big plays back there in the playoffs. It is why we all like him. He has been burned this year, but it seems we have a lot more confusion that we didn't get with Stailey. I remember it being talked about, how the DBs never are out of position, by midway through the season. When Stailey gets fired, McVay better get him. Oh, by the way Rapp almost never found the field that season. Different coach, different evaluation.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This MFer brings us a title - clearly behind the strength of the defense - and the thread calling for his job continues well into the next season. Yall cant be made happy.

Laxbird

UDFA
Name
Paul
As with all analysis many are looking at this from a simple stand point with limited metrics considered. The longer your defense is on the field the more likely it's going to "suck" and that has been the case sometimes. However the 49ers game the TOP was even. The difference was their passing game averaged 9 yards versus our 5 because we let the receivers have 10 yards at the snap.

Morris isn't the first DC to use the Bend don't break method. Wade Philips was big on it too and I can go back and see all the posts of everyone bitching about his defense too. There was two big differences between Wade and Raheem.

Wade use to blitz lots where we almost never blitz. Secondly when it came to red zone Wade found a way to shut it down where Raheem hasn't managed that.

Bend don't break works if you mix it up a little with some blitzing and tight man coverage. Otherwise it's a free 80 yard ride for the opponent. That's the Morris problem.

oldnotdead

Legend
Bend not break is a situational concept when playing with a big lead. It's beyond stupid when it's your base defense, especially when your offense is handicapped by massive OL injuries and playing crippled. You can't play conceding FGs and expect to win. It forces the offense to score on each possession.

The game was tight and here's the Ram DC conceding FGs thinking it was "good enough". Ramsey was right last year to call Raheem out about his chickenshit philosophy. Do you remember Raheem's response? He responded he didn't care.

Unfortunately this team is stuck with Morris for years to come. No one is going to hire him away and he's a buddy of McVay.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I really think that fans - generally - and I'm sure many of y'all are football geniuses and all who just havent had your number called by the NFL and all - but for the most part, I really do believe that we are like pets trying to keep up with their families conversations. We can pick up a word here or there - and we love the hell out out of what is going on most of the time - but we don't really get what is happening out there and certainly not why it is happening.

Its cool to bitch about decisions and certainly results - but lets just stop with the charade that you actually understand the complexity of NFL football. We are fans - lets just stay in our lane a bit.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Bend not break is a situational concept when playing with a big lead. It's beyond stupid when it's your base defense, especially when your offense is handicapped by massive OL injuries and playing crippled. You can't play conceding FGs and expect to win. It forces the offense to score on each possession.

The game was tight and here's the Ram DC conceding FGs thinking it was "good enough". Ramsey was right last year to call Raheem out about his chickenshit philosophy. Do you remember Raheem's response? He responded he didn't care.

Unfortunately this team is stuck with Morris for years to come. No one is going to hire him away and he's a buddy of McVay.
I am starting to come around to your opinion on Morris, despite the heavy criticism you sometimes receive for it.

Those coverage stats in the other thread are unreal and should be cause for extremely serious concern.

Inb4 people argue that Morris just does not have the pieces to play his defence. If only we had another edge, or were healthier on defence, they will say.

This defence is more or less the same as last year's, but without Von Miller. But Wagner is a big upgrade at LB over Troy Reeder, and I think our secondary depth is better this season, so it is not like we took massive steps backwards everywhere. It's a salary cap world. You can't have elite players and tons of depth at every position. The Rams already have stars like AD99 and Ramsey on their defence, which is 2 of 3 level covered. What more does Morris want? Unlike our offensive line, the defense is mostly healthy at present. Go ask the 49ers if being 100% healthy at all times is a prerequisite for winning, because they just embarrassed us with seemingly 50% of their roster unavailable. Everybody has injuries.

Are we supposed to believe that less than one calendar year removed from winning the Super Bowl, the Rams' defensive roster is suddenly so deficient in talent that it has to be far and away the least aggressive unit in the NFL to cover for its (alleged....) deficiencies that are (allegedly....) handicapping Morris?

Bend but don't break is one thing and reasonable minds can differ on ideal schematic approaches for any given roster and how to maximise its talents. But we are magnitudes softer in coverage than any other NFL franchise and haven't even suffered an injury to any of the defence's key cogs. An approach *that* soft on defence is a deliberate coaching choice without justification in my view. The inverse would essentially be instructing your DBs to play ultra aggressive on every snap and try to jump every route. It's madness.

After those scary soft coverage stats I am now starting to really question Morris and wonder.... is our lack of pass rush success also the result of a deliberate coaching decision? Does Morris want his pass rushers more so working to contain the QB and set the edge, rather than trying to get home, to the point he is way over doing it and prejudicing our QB pressure?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That is a valid point. They would have to bench Rapp to do it. There are a couple of young guys behind him that couldn't do worse. Scott has made some big plays back there in the playoffs. It is why we all like him. He has been burned this year, but it seems we have a lot more confusion that we didn't get with Stailey. I remember it being talked about, how the DBs never are out of position, by midway through the season. When Stailey gets fired, McVay better get him. Oh, by the way Rapp almost never found the field that season. Different coach, different evaluation.
How do we know they couldn't do worse?
If they are better, why do we think McVay would let them be held back?
Scott was burned last year, even in the Super Bowl... but he did make some excellent plays in the playoffs. That wasn't Staley's defense.. that was Morris. The difference? He had Weddle communicating with him, imo.
Evaluation? How about attrition? Rapp didn't see the field in 20 because Fuller beat him out, but also because the other safety was Johnson. Morris didn't have that luxury.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As with all analysis many are looking at this from a simple stand point with limited metrics considered. The longer your defense is on the field the more likely it's going to "suck" and that has been the case sometimes. However the 49ers game the TOP was even. The difference was their passing game averaged 9 yards versus our 5 because we let the receivers have 10 yards at the snap.

Morris isn't the first DC to use the Bend don't break method. Wade Philips was big on it too and I can go back and see all the posts of everyone bitching about his defense too. There was two big differences between Wade and Raheem.

Wade use to blitz lots where we almost never blitz. Secondly when it came to red zone Wade found a way to shut it down where Raheem hasn't managed that.

Bend don't break works if you mix it up a little with some blitzing and tight man coverage. Otherwise it's a free 80 yard ride for the opponent. That's the Morris problem.
Lol...
Ummmm... Big plays to Dwelly and Aiyuk had more of an impact on the YPA than the "soft cushions."
Take away those two plays that went over the top.. and the 9ers had 6.3 YPA.

It never fails to amaze me how people find their way to the conclusion they want without taking a look at whether it actually fits what happened.

Oh.. Morris, going into the last game.. had the 6th highest blitz rate in the NFL... and The Rams, up until this week, had been keeping teams out of the end zone.

You know what works? When players make plays. Lots of different things can work in that scenario.

And, yup... Morris gets a ton of blame from me for not having his players ready.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Buffalo 31 points - destroyed by the end of the third quarter
SF 31 points -destroyed by the end of the 4th qtr

Again you can say we keep teams under their averages but still not a good defense against teams with decent offenses and good QBs who can take advantage against soft zones

Mariota Rush Carolina 3rd String QB and Murray (who is a crappy QB too against us for whatever reason)

Not impressed

And SFs first game against us was the first game that Crapola had a full week practice and was rusty as hell
Yup, cherry pick all you like, dont let the facts speak for themselves

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ummmm... Big plays to Dwelly and Aiyuk had more of an impact on the YPA than the "soft cushions."
Take away those two plays that went over the top.. and the 9ers had 6.3 YPA.

Yeah but the soft cushions give the offense plenty of easy completions and 1st downs that gives them more chances for blown coverages.

How can anybody watch this defense give so many easy completions and be happy with what they're seeing?

fearsomefour

Legend
The safety play has been disappointing.
The outside pass rush has been non existent.
The Rams have seemed to have had communication issues on the back end of the D for years. The best time frame recently was when Weddle was back there keeping guys in line.
The continual communication issues in coverage is really frustrating, but, likely to continue. Especially with young DBs playing.
All that said, Morris is left in a tough spot.
As another poster mentioned above, playing tighter coverage means exposing the deep safety more. Putting more pressure on a position that has not been playing well is tough.
Also, playing softer is good with a pass rush. With a pass rush and lead its great. But, with no pass rush to speak of those dink and dunk teams....SF, Tampa Bay, Seattle....they will just take field in 10 yard chunks. Add in bad tackling (safeties were not good vs SF) and it is ugly. So, play press and expose the safety play....not helped by lack of rush. Play soft and hope the back end can tackle....again, not helped by no pass rush.
There are plenty of issues. I think the biggest is lack of pass rush.
The Rams also have to capitalize where there are opportunities for turnovers.
The Rams forced 3 fumbles vs the Whiners and came up with none. Ramsey dropped two pics. There were five possible turnovers and the Rams ended up with none. You can't get them all but you have to get at least a couple of those. Some of that is just luck. Some is not making a play, like Ramseys dropped pic.
Kendricks had a bad game as well and got an ear full of Ramsey on the sideline.
From a team we can't stop to a HOF QB we've had good luck beating recently. One thing for sure, against a HOF pocket passer, Morris can't just sit in off coverage or they will just control the ball all game.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
How many times have the Rams forced a 3 and out and where do they rank compared to the rest of the NFL?
How many Punts have the Rams forced on Defense, vs driver %, compared to the rest of the NFL.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I really think that fans - generally - and I'm sure many of y'all are football geniuses and all who just havent had your number called by the NFL and all - but for the most part, I really do believe that we are like pets trying to keep up with their families conversations. We can pick up a word here or there - and we love the hell out out of what is going on most of the time - but we don't really get what is happening out there and certainly not why it is happening.

Its cool to bitch about decisions and certainly results - but lets just stop with the charade that you actually understand the complexity of NFL football. We are fans - lets just stay in our lane a bit.

Oh yes, us football geniuses that wanted to draft Oline instead of Tutu Bustwell last year. We look really dumb right now, don't we?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Defense
18th Opp Points per Game 22.4
27th Opp Points Per Play 0.399
22nd Opp 3rd Down Conv 41.67%
25th Opp 4th Down Conv 62.5%
4th Opp RZ Scoring (TD) 43.75%
28th Opp Completions 68.78%
25th Opp Yards per pass 7.0

Defense is not doing well other than holding to FGs instead of TDs
Sack % 16th
Turnover 1.1 per Game 18th

Stats shows the defense allows drives to go down field, then clamps and allows a FG.
That's the same as we see it. Bend don't break.
Should put really huge fat guys on the DL and play to stop the run, because Pass Rush means nothing to this team.
We have the #3 least amount of passed thrown against at 29.3 per game.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

Haven't you noticed that most NFL hiring is Nepotism. I bet there are extremely talented people that could do the job that we're seeing so far. I could call 10 yard cushions all day too. Zone Cover 4 every play. Sure why not. Done.

Marc Spector

Rookie
One of the interesting disconnects when it comes to coverage conversations….

Guys want to play tighter.. not a shell… so, you’re talking about single high safeties, most likely. You’ll be asking more from your safeties in coverage.

Think about that… you’ll be asking more of Taylor Rapp and Nick Scott in coverage.
Assuming we have no personnel to replace Rapp, id much rather take the risk of leaving Scott and Rapp on islands and hope to disrupt the play before it gets to them. Rapp is ass even with help so at this point he cant get much worse.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Assuming we have no personnel to replace Rapp, id much rather take the risk of leaving Scott and Rapp on islands and hope to disrupt the play before it gets to them. Rapp is ass even with help so at this point he cant get much worse.

Just think Taylor Rapp gets traded. Nick Scott has ascended so much better than Rapp.It’s almost like he should be a 48er.The time The Rams beat the 9er a Taylor Rapp was out.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah but the soft cushions give the offense plenty of easy completions and 1st downs that gives them more chances for blown coverages.

How can anybody watch this defense give so many easy completions and be happy with what they're seeing?

And I don’t like seeing gash runs… or huge gains over the top.

I just don’t assume another scheme would be more effective.

I’d like to see press mixed in more.. but also see the limitations on personnel.
Ramsey can cover one guy, in that setup.. in zones he can create more confusion. In fact.. it worked.. he just didn’t make the plays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, I don’t. That just means touchdowns instead of first downs.