Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I usually don't get animated or loud during regular season games but I was heated watching that front, especially considering the success we had when we switched to a four man defensive line on early downs.
Yea there's really no excuse for it. But to me the problem goes beyond the gameplan and overall philosophy. The box should've been stacked for sure, but then to not double Kittle? I mean how many times was he singled up on Reeder or Floyd? How often did Ramsey, the best CB in the league follow around Deebo who's their best weapon out wide? I just don't understand how we could be using our weapons on defense so poorly...and more importantly NOT ADJUSTING during the game if need be. You want to start with your gameplan A? Sure, but if it's not working at all you better be able to pivot to gameplan B and that seems impossible for us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yea there's really no excuse for it. But to me the problem goes beyond the gameplan and overall philosophy. The box should've been stacked for sure, but then to not double Kittle? I mean how many times was he singled up on Reeder or Floyd? How often did Ramsey, the best CB in the league follow around Deebo who's their best weapon out wide? I just don't understand how we could be using our weapons on defense so poorly...and more importantly NOT ADJUSTING during the game if need be. You want to start with your gameplan A? Sure, but if it's not working at all you better be able to pivot to gameplan B and that seems impossible for us.
That's where I get to the fact that the defense's construction.. from scheme to players... is an organizational model chosen by Snead and McVay and why it's absolutely as much about them as it is Morris.

Their math shows they win with that kind of defense... but that's contingent on the offense doing it's job. And the offense isn't doing it's job right now, neither is the special teams for that matter.

Tano

Legend

Does anyone fully comprehend this in its entirety. I mean I know what he is saying but why put yourself in a position to guess wrong rather than take away the best player then double and do what you have to against the lesser player or players. We continually seem to guess wrong so is this just him not seeing it? Is it him backing his buddy? Or just flat out a stubborn douche? Maybe all the above?

I get the concept but it works at times but more often than not we are getting killed by death by a thousand paper cuts. All that said if you want to keep using it fine but maybe use it less? Even though it seems we guess wrong most times anyway. I'm just not understanding.
I agree - they aren't using Ramsey for the best of his ability

You put Ramsey on Deebo the entire game with maybe a switch at the last minute on a few plays to fool the 49ers, the 49ers then lose their best option for the entirety of the game.

I doubt Brandon would be able to make plays the entirety of the game.

In addition, we have stated this so many times it is getting repetitive now. Keep Rapp close to the line and let him play the Star position. He isn't as athletic as Ramsey but he does a capable job in his place.

MachS

Hall of Fame
That's where I get to the fact that the defense's construction.. from scheme to players... is an organizational model chosen by Snead and McVay and why it's absolutely as much about them as it is Morris.

Their math shows they win with that kind of defense... but that's contingent on the offense doing it's job. And the offense isn't doing it's job right now, neither is the special teams for that matter.
Putting 5 in the box against a dominant running team isnt a good idea, no matter what your original plan was. You have to be able to recognize what your opponent does well and try to take it away. To continue playing these two high shells with 5-6 in the box when they're running it well is literal lunacy.

We dont have good ILBs so we will never, ever be able to stop the run in those scenarios. Then if you're thought process is "oh well we'll give up the run and stop the pass," well that doesn't make sense either. You're playing Ramsey in the slot, not even locking down a top WR threat, and every other person in on our 2nd and 3rd level is a liability. Williams, Rochelle, Long are all liabilities in coverage. Rapp is terrible in coverage, and Fuller has been invisible this year. Jones and Reeder are both liabilities in coverage at LB.

So this whole philosophy is to give up the run to stop the pass right? But how on the fuck do we expect to do that with one quality player who can play coverage? And that player no longer plays outside majority of the time in coverage. Its just the worst defensive strategy given our personnel I've ever seen. And McVay needs to put his foot down and make a change or this year will be lost. Because he has other concerns to worry about like fixing the offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Putting 5 in the box against a dominant running team isnt a good idea, no matter what your original plan was. You have to be able to recognize what your opponent does well and try to take it away. To continue playing these two high shells with 5-6 in the box when they're running it well is literal lunacy.

We dont have good ILBs so we will never, ever be able to stop the run in those scenarios. Then if you're thought process is "oh well we'll give up the run and stop the pass," well that doesn't make sense either. You're playing Ramsey in the slot, not even locking down a top WR threat, and every other person in on our 2nd and 3rd level is a liability. Williams, Rochelle, Long are all liabilities in coverage. Rapp is terrible in coverage, and Fuller has been invisible this year. Jones and Reeder are both liabilities in coverage at LB.

So this whole philosophy is to give up the run to stop the pass right? But how on the fuck do we expect to do that with one quality player who can play coverage? And that player no longer plays outside majority of the time in coverage. Its just the worst defensive strategy given our personnel I've ever seen. And McVay needs to put his foot down and make a change or this year will be lost. Because he has other concerns to worry about like fixing the offense.
Again… all this is part of organizational philosophy.

They traded away their best performing ILB.

Part of that model is drafting and developing players… guess what? They failed in that aspect on two 3rd round DBs.

It sure didn’t work this week, but it did last week.

Know what didn’t work either week? The offense.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How is McVay not getting more involved in the D? This shit is so stupid. Let's never put Ramsey on the top WR anymore, and play 2-deep shells with 5 in the box when were getting the ball run down our throats. How is it possible he keeps his job??

View: https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1460813355992563713?t=h7ZjxdcqZMTWLWzvSHlgEA&s=19

I love how Ted Nguyen has access to All 22 without all the BS interface nonsense the fans have to deal with to include the fucking film dimming when you pause it.

NFL is fucking garbage man, they don't give a shit about fans. Still so pissed I paid for that service. In fact the Rams/9ers isn't up yet, neither is last week's game vs the Titans.

But it's cool they have people in the media all hooked up.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wade Phillips .

I believe our letting him go forced him into retirement. He is a good defensive coach that won't be poached as the next hot HC prospect. We need stability. Three DC's in three years, BLOWS.
The prob is McVay wants to run quarters. But yeah if you gave Wade this roster and gave him one camp to get them aligned in his assignment/alignment approach they'd be a hell of a lot better on third down and at least getting off the field under their own power.

Since I'm not looking at the back end due to the All 22 stupidity I have no idea what we're running. No idea what percentage Morris is calling anything and don't really care at this point. Just gonna keep waiting for this unit to turn things around but it's getting really old.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
McVay hasn't lost me, but he definitely needs to crack down on Morris and flat out order him to make changes to his approach. Morris was gifted a D with two generational talents in Donald and Ramsey, both easy first ballot HOFers (I'm not including Miller right now because he hasn't been fully integrated). How many defenses around the league have even one of these types? To have two is very rare, but it also reduces the margin for error for a DC. This D finished #1 in the league last year and routinely got off the field on 3rd down, something they have struggled with mightily this year. While I miss Brockers, JJ, Fox, and Hill, their losses can't explain the decline. Scheme, playcalling, and personnel decisions can explain it, and it definitely explains the debacle Monday night.

Oh, has anyone else begun to think that the absence of Terrell Burgess is another bonehead decision by Morris rather than a reflection of Burgess himself? With the play of Long and Rochelle's predictable rookie struggles, it's hard for me to fathom that Burgess can't even get a look.
I share the frustration with Morris' flat footed stand and watch zone. But imo our personnel are a problem too-- one to which Morris and McVay have not yet found the right answer. This is not last year's secondary.

Williams has been injured, not sure he's yet at 100%. Long and Rochelle have given up lots of plays. Something is wrong with Burgess or he would be out there-- maybe he just can't move as well after a really bad broken ankle. Our linebackers basically are JAGs and a rookie, not Fred Warner or Bobby Wagner. They have also been exposed in pass coverage. Safety position is also weaker without JJ.

I suspect that Morris and McVay are afraid the secondary and linebackers will be even more exposed in man on man coverage, and are doing everything they can to avoid it.

They have also been hoping that if the Rams can score early and often and play with the lead it just won't matter. But we can't count on getting early leads against strong opponents. Especially when everyone in the league knows that's our strategy.

Rams need to rethink and retool their defensive approach if they expect to win playoff games.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't we have the same conversations about Ramsey not being on their best player last year too on critical downs?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The prob is McVay wants to run quarters. But yeah if you gave Wade this roster and gave him one camp to get them aligned in his assignment/alignment approach they'd be a hell of a lot better on third down and at least getting off the field under their own power.

Since I'm not looking at the back end due to the All 22 stupidity I have no idea what we're running. No idea what percentage Morris is calling anything and don't really care at this point. Just gonna keep waiting for this unit to turn things around but it's getting really old.
Wade was eaten alive in here for his soft coverage as well.
But yeah, I'd take him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yup
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't we have the same conversations about Ramsey not being on their best player last year too on critical downs?
Yup. He wasn’t on Deebo on back breaking 3rd down last year. Deebo ran right through Williams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Maybe on occasion, but I also remember him pretty much slamming the door on TK Metcalf and DeAndre Hopkins twice each last year.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Maybe on occasion, but I also remember him pretty much slamming the door on TK Metcalf and DeAndre Hopkins twice each last year.

Yeah he did against those two, I was referencing against the Niners. I remember getting pretty drunk after the second game and being upset about it lol

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Agree with you here for sure that no one has really done their jobs well lately. This is what makes winning difficult. Whenever one part of the team doesn't do it's job, it stresses all other parts of the team to overcompensate. We haven't been able to overcome that lately.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Absolutely disagree. It is taking decisive action to try and right a wrong. Morris is lousy and you all know it. A team should not regress this much from #1 to bottom third in the league. We did not lose that many players you can see with your very own eyes especially on that first 94 yard drive by SF and by Garropollo's half time stats 8-8 passing and 5-5 on third downs he was 18-21 I think for the rest of the game that indicates the D was terrible. We should have rolled them with all their injuries.
Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't happen. I wish they would make a change. I just don't see it happening. When was the last time a contender with a 7-3 record fired a coordinator mid season? That doesn't happen in the NFL. It might happen if they were 3-7. I think they might fire him after the season though.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I love how Ted Nguyen has access to All 22 without all the BS interface nonsense the fans have to deal with to include the fucking film dimming when you pause it.

NFL is fucking garbage man, they don't give a shit about fans. Still so pissed I paid for that service. In fact the Rams/9ers isn't up yet, neither is last week's game vs the Titans.

But it's cool they have people in the media all hooked up.
Yea the media and analytics community get access to the true coaches film, while we get the "fan" all-22 shit. It's so dumb but just another way for the NFL to make $ off fans.

Name
SparkleStick
LMAO - gosh I love it.

Then again is it if he does or doesn’t.just wan to be clear.

I love me some Raheem Morris.I do like the fire in RAMsey.

I think some around town don’t appreciate The Love I have for DD21.
Have to go bring up an old post now.
Thanks wishing Mcvay the best in 2021. Got to get a cheers out to Raheem Morris though for making plans to be The Rams DC for years to come.Never thought though he could leave without comp picks.There was a rumor he could be going the college route ?

Anyone who hasn’t seen Von Miller’s interview I thought it makes the feeling of the defense exciting.

You hope he calls our defense years to come? Tf you smoking? You even a Rams fan? Dudes trash!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You hope he calls our defense years to come? Tf you smoking? You even a Rams fan? Dudes trash!!

Well you know the saying ? One Man’s trash is another ones Treasure.

Yeah - I’d say I see things with a
good enough vision to know the only way Raheem Morris leaves The Rams is for a HC position.That also could be going the college ranks?

In 2023 season that idea could change. Before the game The Rams led The NFL in sacks & turnovers.You could clam I’m smoking something there,but you should know what Raheem says about Stats.
Lol —. Good times
Sort of like a couple players flash on the D’ side I like from training camp.