Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm old enough to remember Deebo running through D Williams arm tackles... not Ramsey's... on a crucial, crucial third down last year.

How's Staley this year, guys?
Yeah but now you're comparing 2 different scenarios. Staley is definitely a great D coordinator, but being a great coordinator doesn't equate to great head coach. The jury is still out there. Morris has proven to be a below average D coordinator.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't know.
But, why wouldn't Morris give him a chance if he can play or has shown it in practice?

Because he's not competent, as evidenced by his scheme, play calls, and lack of adjustments. This is the same guy that wanted Rapp in coverage when, before he (Morris) ever got here, there was already enough tape on him to show that's not Rapp's strength. And it's the same guy that wanted to let Deebo run wild while keeping a generational talent like Ramsey doing other stuff.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I should kick out on this stuff.

My big picture point here is that firing Morris isn't going to do anything to help the Rams improve if McVay doesn't get his shit together as a leader of the team and as an offensive coordinator. We are seeing failures in all three units and he's the man in charge. The fact that people are hyper focused on Morris and are basically ignoring the godawful Special Teams and the total bed-shitting by the offense is just something that I get distracted by.

McVay is the man.. he's great, but his weaknesses are becoming more defined and more pronounced.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah but now you're comparing 2 different scenarios. Staley is definitely a great D coordinator, but being a great coordinator doesn't equate to great head coach. The jury is still out there. Morris has proven to be a below average D coordinator.
It's Staley's defense over there, just like it's McVay's offense here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Because he's not competent, as evidenced by his scheme, play calls, and lack of adjustments. This is the same guy that wanted Rapp in coverage when, before he ever got here, there was already enough tape on him to show that's not his strength. And it's the same guy that wanted to let Deebo run wild while keeping a generational talent like Ramsey doing other stuff.

Yeah, I'm just not buying that line.
The defense has been inconsistent, but it hasn't been bad, overall.
Far, far short of "incompetent" and that's the kind of thing I'm pushing back on.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It's Staley's defense over there, just like it's McVay's offense here.
Yeah McVay needs to also wake the fuck up. In Staley's case, I think we had more talent to work with. Either way, Staley is far superior than Morris.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Far, far short of "incompetent" and that's the kind of thing I'm pushing back on.
I'm not calling anyone incompetent but for our D, he's a terrible fit. Definitely not a good choice by McVay.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah McVay needs to also wake the fuck up. In Staley's case, I think we had more talent to work with. Either way, Staley is far superior than Morris.
Well, if you've watched the Chargers this year on D, you'd be hard pressed to make that argument.

Morris' D was fresh last year.. teams have had an offseason to figure out how to attack it. Green Bay gave a great model for that in the playoffs.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Well, we've agreed on a lot lately, but this is where we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not giving Morris any benefit of the doubt any more. He certainly hasn't earned it.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well, if you've watched the Chargers this year on D, you'd be hard pressed to make that argument.

Morris' D was fresh last year.. teams have had an offseason to figure out how to attack it. Green Bay gave a great model for that in the playoffs.
I'd make the argument that our D has more talent than the Chargers for sure. Yes teams have had time to figure out Staley's defense, but Morris is responsible for making adjustments. He's not great at them, but Staley was for us last year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd make the argument that our D has more talent than the Chargers for sure. Yes teams have had time to figure out Staley's defense, but Morris is responsible for making adjustments. He's not great at them, but Staley was for us last year.

Again.. would Staley be as impactful this year with offenses having a full offseason to dissect what he was doing. Green Bay motioned out to get Reeder out of the box and ran Jones right up the middle into the empty space. The model was being developed already.
Light boxes come with a cost and Staley is the kind of light boxes.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Again.. would Staley be as impactful this year with offenses having a full offseason to dissect what he was doing. Green Bay motioned out to get Reeder out of the box and ran Jones right up the middle into the empty space. The model was being developed already.
Light boxes come with a cost and Staley is the kind of light boxes.
I believe his defense would have made more adjustments and yes, our defense would have performed better. Also ur referring to a game where AD was not 100%. That had some impact.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I believe his defense would have made more adjustments and yes, our defense would have performed better. Also ur referring to a game where AD was not 100%. That had some impact.
The Chargers are, by quite an impressive margin, the worst run defense in the NFL and are giving up 50 yards more per game than the Rams. 50!! And are giving up more points as well.

Yup.. AD was hurt in that game and we didn't have SJD, who is one of the best run defenders in the entire NFL in this game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think in games last year, Staley was much quicker to make adjustments when something wasn't working. He wouldn't wait until halftime, and rarely waited past the next series if he saw the opposing O exploiting something.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think in games last year, Staley was much quicker to make adjustments when something wasn't working. He wouldn't wait until halftime, and rarely waited past the next series if he saw the opposing O exploiting something.
Why isn't Staley making those adjustments this year?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
How is McVay not getting more involved in the D? This shit is so stupid. Let's never put Ramsey on the top WR anymore, and play 2-deep shells with 5 in the box when were getting the ball run down our throats. How is it possible he keeps his job??

View: https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1460813355992563713?t=h7ZjxdcqZMTWLWzvSHlgEA&s=19

I usually don't get animated or loud during regular season games but I was heated watching that front, especially considering the success we had when we switched to a four man defensive line on early downs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This firing Morris stuff is just so silly.

So, McVay hired him in the offseason.. and you want McVay to pick the next guy? Now? From what options?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not letting up on the fact that this defense is more McVay's than Morris'. He brought Morris in to try to run Staley's D, for the most part.

The Rams had lost 4 in a row to the 9ers... do you really think McVay wasn't giving Morris a ton of input? Seeing as he's watched those ass kickings in person and Morris wasn't around?

Come on guys.
Wade Phillips .

I believe our letting him go forced him into retirement. He is a good defensive coach that won't be poached as the next hot HC prospect. We need stability. Three DC's in three years, BLOWS.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Why isn't Staley making those adjustments this year?

He doesn't have an AD or JR like he did last year. Maybe he is and they just aren't working.

But the fact remains, Morris DOES have AD and JR and he's not making necessary adjustments, where Staley did when he had those guys last year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He doesn't have an AD or JR like he did last year. Maybe he is and they just aren't working.

But the fact remains, Morris DOES have AD and JR and he's not making necessary adjustments, where Staley did when he had those guys last year.
The fact also remains that offenses have adjusted.

Chargers gave up 30 yards less a game last year on the ground.

The degree that people discount a full offseason to scout a new D is pretty significant here.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Does anyone fully comprehend this in its entirety. I mean I know what he is saying but why put yourself in a position to guess wrong rather than take away the best player then double and do what you have to against the lesser player or players. We continually seem to guess wrong so is this just him not seeing it? Is it him backing his buddy? Or just flat out a stubborn douche? Maybe all the above?

I get the concept but it works at times but more often than not we are getting killed by death by a thousand paper cuts. All that said if you want to keep using it fine but maybe use it less? Even though it seems we guess wrong most times anyway. I'm just not understanding.

Last edited: