Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Oh, I guess Morris isn’t running the system McVay wants him to? Despite never running it?
Why was he hired in the first place, and why not hire from within? McVay just needs to get the team prepared he shouldn’t be doing more than he can handle.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why was he hired in the first place, and why not hire from within? McVay just needs to get the team prepared he shouldn’t be doing more than he can handle.
Those are great questions for McVay! Why did he bring someone in? Joe Barry seems to be doing a hell of a job with the Packers!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Those are great questions for McVay! Why did he bring someone in? Joe Barry seems to be doing a hell of a job with the Packers!
And I was one who thought Joe Barry was a problem. Now that doesn’t seem like thats the case. I been fooled, and yes he is doing good things in Green Bay.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barry wasn't too good in his DC shot prior. So it's understandable why McVay passed him over. I would have too tbh.

It does go to show that just like with players these coaches can improve though. So there's still time for Morris and there's talent there too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I didn't really care who was on kittle. I just wanted somebody on him on 3rd downs. Not everyone running away from him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I didn't really care who was on kittle. I just wanted somebody on him on 3rd downs. Not everyone running away from him.

Shanahan takes us to the woodshed every game. No matter who our DC is. It's like his Super Bowl or something, I suspect he really wanted the Rams job and is still pissed he didn't get the interview.

Ram65

Legend
I do think the Rams miss free agents JJ and Hill. They also miss injured SJD. Double D out and Burgess hurting.

I stated no more excuses for this game in another thread so I'm curious how Morris will adjust this week despite some missing pieces.

I suspect that Morris and McVay are afraid the secondary and linebackers will be even more exposed in man on man coverage, and are doing everything they can to avoid it.

I do think he needs to play a little tighter coverage but, understand the concerns. The addition of Von Miller should help the pass rush. I would rather see a more aggressive approach against Rodgers. Mixing up coverage could at least hold Rodgers back earlier and give the Rams a chance to get a lead.

oldnotdead

Legend
I do think the Rams miss free agents JJ and Hill. They also miss injured SJD. Double D out and Burgess hurting.

I suggest you look at how poorly both JJ and Hill have played thus far this year. Both have been exposed as looking better than they were because of Staley's scheme. Now playing in "normal" schemes both are struggling. The same can be said of SJD during his time this year. It's why I don't expect him back next year. Gaines is outplaying SJD this year. The fact they drafted B. Brown this year tells me that they won't be re-signing SJD. Like Reynolds, he took too long to develop. His stats last year were setups by the play of AD and Floyd and McVay and Snead could see that which is why they drafted B. Brown.

This decline of the defense is entirely on the shoulders of Morris and his passive scheme. His wait until the pass is thrown before reacting instead of reading and anticipating is why they are usually late and why the first defender usually misses the tackle. It's piss poor coaching.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suggest you look at how poorly both JJ and Hill have played thus far this year. Both have been exposed as looking better than they were because of Staley's scheme.
Isnt it amazing how poorly some of these former Rams defensive players perform in other teams laundry?
Hill is getting lit up like a Christmas tree and JJ has been a near bust over there

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Isnt it amazing how poorly some of these former Rams defensive players perform in other teams laundry?
Hill is getting lit up like a Christmas tree and JJ has been a near bust over there

Yeah, but for all the Morris Haters go look at Staley’s defense.

BTW- imo he is ready for a playoff SuperBowl run. The Rams defense is only going to get better

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I suggest you look at how poorly both JJ and Hill have played thus far this year. Both have been exposed as looking better than they were because of Staley's scheme. Now playing in "normal" schemes both are struggling. The same can be said of SJD during his time this year. It's why I don't expect him back next year. Gaines is outplaying SJD this year. The fact they drafted B. Brown this year tells me that they won't be re-signing SJD. Like Reynolds, he took too long to develop. His stats last year were setups by the play of AD and Floyd and McVay and Snead could see that which is why they drafted B. Brown.

This decline of the defense is entirely on the shoulders of Morris and his passive scheme. His wait until the pass is thrown before reacting instead of reading and anticipating is why they are usually late and why the first defender usually misses the tackle. It's piss poor coaching.
Nonsense.

Both JJ & Hill had excellent seasons before Staley arrived.

If Staley’s scheme was still a game changer in its own this season, we’d see some improvement in the Chargers. They’re almost exactly the same as last year, worse against the run.

The league changes from year to year.

Also.. the last game leaves a bad taste.. guess what? Staley couldn’t shut down the 9ers with backup QBs.

That D handled the Titans. And last year’s D got worked over by the Bills about the same time of year as the Cards did.

Yes, the Rams have work to do on defense.. but blaming it all on Morris is silly.

The Rams organization let two top DBs go without having capable replacements for what they do. They let Aubrey Pleasant go. McVay hired a guy who had never coached the scheme before.

Defenses vary from year to year.. the biggest problem right now is execution on third down passing plays and not having Hill & JJ is absolutely making a difference there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nonsense.

Both JJ & Hill had excellent seasons before Staley arrived.

If Staley’s scheme was still a game changer in its own this season, we’d see some improvement in the Chargers. They’re almost exactly the same as last year, worse against the run.

The league changes from year to year.

Also.. the last game leaves a bad taste.. guess what? Staley couldn’t shut down the 9ers with backup QBs.

That D handled the Titans. And last year’s D got worked over by the Bills about the same time of year as the Cards did.

Yes, the Rams have work to do on defense.. but blaming it all on Morris is silly.

The Rams organization let two top DBs go without having capable replacements for what they do. They let Aubrey Pleasant go. McVay hired a guy who had never coached the scheme before.

Defenses vary from year to year.. the biggest problem right now is execution on third down passing plays and not having Hill & JJ is absolutely making a difference there.
I'd say it may be a lot like D Williams and Rapp here. There were people calling for both to be benched or cut or other drastic things. Both are simply being used differently in this scheme than in the past and their performance hasn't been the same. Very well could be the same with Hill and JJ on their new teams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd say it may be a lot like D Williams and Rapp here. There were people calling for both to be benched or cut or other drastic things. Both are simply being used differently in this scheme than in the past and their performance hasn't been the same. Very well could be the same with Hill and JJ on their new teams.
What choice do they have with Rapp? We thought Burgess would be in the mix as a safety but he’s not, so they don’t have the luxury of playing him only to his strengths.
Williams, outside of “misuse” has simply underperformed. Is that because of his preseason injury? Because Pleasant is gone?

Ramsey already has exceeded his INT total for the last 2 seasons.. so, the give and take of moving him around isn’t as lopsided as many on here would suggest.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah… 2 FGs given up in normal possessions.

People working hard to ignoring the REAL problems in this team.