Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
While I agree Morris's style of bend but don't break, play 10 yards off the ball is frustrating, we are deficient at CB and LB. We have been so piss poor at tackling (yesterday really showed it). So we can point at Morris and it's valid, but players make plays (or don't). If we don't improve on the back end it won't matter who the coach is. I hate the 69er's but love how they play D. But maybe they just have the better, more aggressive players in the back end then we do. I mean, they got constant pressure just rushing 4.

Ric Flair

Rookie
Name
Spanky
Morris may or may not be the problem here...just saying.

He's not out there getting physically dominated...the players are.

As I watched the game it seems to me the Rams slacked after getting that 17-0 lead.

This is a scheme thing...the 9ers just flat know how to attack the Rams...and it needs to get figured out.

Once again in crunch time Stafford starts with the "panicky passes"

It could be Morris...but I'm not sure.
Absolutely correct.

Im just tried of seeing the soft zone coverage from our DB’s.
If all you're going to do is lie and over simplify.. why respond?

I've already said the defense failed yesterday.

And.. again.. if your argument is that that JJ and Hill aren't light years better than Rapp and Long/DD.. no need to chat.

Interesting.

I post a simple fact that you’ve ignored, now you refuse to answer because it’s “over simplified.”

Just say you can’t answer and concede the point.

Morris is the issue. Everybody knows it, but you.

How did the browns finish with JJ and Hill by the way?

WOoOOoOoOo

Tano

Legend
Our secondary basically requires the defensive front to get immediate pressure and if they don't the secondary will be beat. By anyone. I think right now the secondary is the weakest part of our team.

Burgess made a nice play late in the game getting out to the edge. Might be time for him to get another opportunity opposite Fuller. If they can solve that spot it would have a lot of impact to our defense.

If you watch the plays where Rapp is lined up deep he still has zero feel for what to do. No feel for when to crash down and he was late on multiple occasions because of too much cushion or delaying due to no feel for when to break on the underneath. The guy is good in run support but offenses like the 9ers who have multiple weapons can take advantage of the weak link in the pass game.

Something has to give here. IMO. We have good offenses ahead in this playoff season that will kill that side if Rapp is out there.

Oh and btw since Reeder also has to come out of there for the playoffs (all these teams will be able to isolate him with their weapons) a very easy solution would be to move Rapp to the other ILB spot and put Howard's undersized ass in there as the main backer. We will suffer a bit vs the run. But the pass defense should be quite good with those two in the box and Rapp is as good as Howard vs the run if not better.

Rapp would probably be as good as Howard as the sole guy too tbh. Better mobility and he's better locking onto guys in man coverage off the LOS than he is handling space/distance in zone.
I completely agree. Rapp should be close to the line of scrimmage. Playing him deep we might as well call him Dahl the 2nd.

He is absolutely terrible on covering people deep.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How McVay handles this issue in the offseason will be quite revealing. He had no tolerance for a QB who played badly against our most hated rival in two games last year and shipped him off. Is he going to stick with the guy who shit the bed twice against them this year, or is he going to demand better? Will he hold Raheem Marmie accountable the way he has done with others?
Simple... Morris becomes the Assistant to the Assistant Quality Control Coach.

Seriously, they could make him Assistant HC. I think Kromer was in that role, not sure anyone is now, but they could do something like that and then he eventually leaves to get a better job.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Seriously, they could make him Assistant HC. I think Kromer was in that role, not sure anyone is now, but they could do something like that and then he eventually leaves to get a better job.

As long as he's not the one coordinating the D and calling the plays on game day.

sloramfan

Starter
i've been trying to give morris the benifit of the doubt, after wanting his head on a swivel earlier this year...

sorry ram fans, the mcvay move to bring in morris and get a pick in the draft when he's poached, failed miserably...

fire morris, or move him into a BS job...

we need a real DC...

fangio comes to mind...

i want the defense staley brought... remember the one that forced a lot of 3 and outs?...

go rams

slo

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the biggest difference if you compare what the 49ers did on defense yesterday to what we do on defense. The 49ers DB's were mugging our receivers at the LOS versus us playing 10 yards off. Giving them a free release all game negates our pass rush. Doing what the 49ers did slows receivers down, causing the QB to hesitate just enough for the pass rush to get home.

mcvay had been watching it all season. why doesn't he tell morris to change it up?

we can only conclude that he is happy with how the defense has been performing. like martz was happy when marmie was the dc.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
mcvay had been watching it all season. why doesn't he tell morris to change it up?

we can only conclude that he is happy with how the defense has been performing. like martz was happy when marmie was the dc.

I don't think the situation is that black and white. McVay brought in Morris to run the defense; McVay has shown that he doesn't necessarily meddle with the defensive game plan. I assume he trusts Morris to run his game but who knows really.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Every time Long was on the field, it sure seems that WR was going to get the ball. Long, Rapp(should only be at LOS) & Scott is the problem. DD should be our #4 CB he's okay buy limited. Missing Jones at LB also hurt us.

Shuie3225

Starter

Yup this is what will go down. McVay won't get rid of him completely out of respect, but he wont be DC next year. He'll get moved to a different senior coaching position just like he did last year with Bonamego. Take that to the bank. Fangio or Flores would be great hires.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that tells me there is a scheme problem … how many times did our d look confused as fuck out there pre snap ?.. pointing shrugs arm waving on motion and it’s not in the normal defensive adjustment way it’s in a fuck I have no idea whom I’m covering here way

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
One thing that tells me there is a scheme problem … how many times did our d look confused as fuck out there pre snap ?.. pointing shrugs arm waving on motion and it’s not in the normal defensive adjustment way it’s in a fuck I have no idea whom I’m covering here way
I was thinking during the game that there were a ton of breakdowns in communication between the LBs and also between the DBs pre-snap. It shows the depth issues that we have at the moment. This is a big week for preparation to make sure we are ready for the Cards.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
If we truly want the Defense to get better, and be able to face these bully teams. We need to BADLY invest in the ILB spot next to Jones. And no former S bullshit. We need a heavy, thumper. Also, need to invest in DL next to Donald. Gaines and SBJ are nice but seem to get bullied easy. ALSO, invest in some bigger DBs, particularly CBs. We're badly undersized there outside of Ramsey and they just bounce off dudes. And that means let DWill walk. He's played himself our of a nice payday to me.

We need some dogs, some mean dudes. We have too much finesse and not enough power outside a few guys like Von, Ramsey, Donald, and Floyd.

RamWoodie

Legend
Saying it's a scheme thing kind of contradicts the idea that Morris might not be the problem. By definition, the defensive scheme is the responsibility of the defensive coordinator.
I beg to differ...mainly because attacking a scheme isn't so easy to do even though you've seen it several times.

We know these things happened though:

1. Missed and poor tackling.

2. Over-pursuing on misdirection plays.

3. Failure to take on the lead blocker to the runner (TE, FB...whatever)

Just because you've seen a scheme and devise a way to attack doesn't mean success. We know this because the 9ers have the Rams number, just like the Rams have the Seahawks number right now.

To my thinking this is a "mental issue" between these teams.

Can you tell me why the 9ers can't beat the Cardinals???

The fact is...when the Rams get past the mental of this...THAT'S WHEN THEY'LL SUCCEED.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I beg to differ...mainly because attacking a scheme isn't so easy to do even though you've seen it several times.

We know these things happened though:

1. Missed and poor tackling.

2. Over-pursuing on misdirection plays.

3. Failure to take on the lead blocker to the runner (TE, FB...whatever)

Just because you've seen a scheme and devise a way to attack doesn't mean success. We know this because the 9ers have the Rams number, just like the Rams have the Seahawks number right now.

To my thinking this is a "mental issue" between these teams.

Can you tell me why the 9ers can't beat the Cardinals???

The fact is...when the Rams get past the mental of this...THAT'S WHEN THEY'LL SUCCEED.

I don't doubt there is a mental aspect to it, but the problems we've had with the defensive scheme have plagued us most of the season, and bit us in the ass hard in both games against the 49ers.

And incidentally, the three things you listed can be corrected with good coaching. I think when your philosophy is to play passively, as Morris's is most of the time, it exacerbates those issues.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
These condescending responses are why people get pissed at you. Don't start shit and then cry about how you try and be polite and it's everyone else that is out of line. We're not retarded. We all know what you are doing.
We don’t need this either. Take it somewhere else.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we truly want the Defense to get better, and be able to face these bully teams. We need to BADLY invest in the ILB spot next to Jones. And no former S bullshit. We need a heavy, thumper. Also, need to invest in DL next to Donald. Gaines and SBJ are nice but seem to get bullied easy. ALSO, invest in some bigger DBs, particularly CBs. We're badly undersized there outside of Ramsey and they just bounce off dudes. And that means let DWill walk. He's played himself our of a nice payday to me.

We need some dogs, some mean dudes. We have too much finesse and not enough power outside a few guys like Von, Ramsey, Donald, and Floyd.
So I do think the Rams have been prioritizing power of late. I think the change happened after that playoff loss in Green Bay.

They let Brock go, who generally was part of our defensive front laying down vs the run in every single McVay playoff loss. When Brock went out vs Atlanta in McVay's first playoffs with us we couldn't stop their run game and everything unraveled from that. When we lost control of a tight defensive battle in the Super Bowl it was due to New England having a ground game emerge with Michel. The Packers loss same thing, once they started running it well we could not get off the field.

They drafted B Brown whose game was power. Actually E Brown's game was also power, he was better vs the run than on his rush. They drafted Jones too. First ILB in how long now? I can't even recall which is crazy.

I feel like they do realize they have a power problem. Thing is there's going to be a ton of guys leaving this roster too. So the moment this offseason begins we're going to have some great conversations all the way to the draft. It's gonna be one crazy offseason and I do think we see more focus on the trenches, though they also should have big needs in the secondary and on offense too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So I do think the Rams have been prioritizing power of late. I think the change happened after that playoff loss in Green Bay.

They let Brock go, who generally was part of our defensive front laying down vs the run in every single McVay playoff loss. When Brock went out vs Atlanta in McVay's first playoffs with us we couldn't stop their run game and everything unraveled from that. When we lost control of a tight defensive battle in the Super Bowl it was due to New England having a ground game emerge with Michel. The Packers loss same thing, once they started running it well we could not get off the field.

They drafted B Brown whose game was power. Actually E Brown's game was also power, he was better vs the run than on his rush. They drafted Jones too. First ILB in how long now? I can't even recall which is crazy.

I feel like they do realize they have a power problem. Thing is there's going to be a ton of guys leaving this roster too. So the moment this offseason begins we're going to have some great conversations all the way to the draft. It's gonna be one crazy offseason and I do think we see more focus on the trenches, though they also should have big needs in the secondary and on offense too.
Saw in the McVay interview no chance of Jones back this week probably not next either. Injuries have been a huge part of the season, not just for the Rams.

Have to wonder about this longer season and if there is anything that can be done. Maybe open the roster and cap to allow teams to keep more players????

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I hate saying it .. but I feel like we have some "bitches" on this team. Dudes afraid if contact and want no part of a physical game. Dudes who enjoy a finesse game but want no part of a physical game. We need more alpha blue collar personalities. And less financial consultants.